OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 177 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So has anyone been to Sally's since they reopened? That website (sallysapizzatogo.com) doesn't exist, at least not yet. Do you just call to order? Curious to hear reports of how they do their takeout.
My answer is a NO, but with a bit more.

Called en route home from Hammonasset Sunday 6 or so.

Phone rang on the first time, and was answered politely in a reasonable number of rings.

I asked for a "small tomato pie" and was told they were "out of smalls, only medium or large." He offered that they'd again have smalls on Wednesday. I suppose inferences could be drawn from that.

I was already on my way to pickup a dinner prepared by a furloughed chef who has legit access to her former commercial kitchen while the restaurant is closed, so I passed on the larger options.

Certainly eager to give it a try.

Reaction Score
I saw this over the weekend. Haven't tried yet
Wow. Great find! My wife is a Montana expat, never tried Sally's and wanted to give it a try ever since seeing Dave's pizza review. Will definitely give it a try whenever we have some time to venture into New Haven from Norwalk.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I asked for a "small tomato pie" and was told they were "out of smalls, only medium or large." He offered that they'd again have smalls on Wednesday. I suppose inferences could be drawn from that.
That sounds so ripe for some combination of a Yogi Berra joke, a Jack Nicholson scene and/or an Abbot & Costello skit.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That sounds so ripe for some combination of a Yogi Berra joke, a Jack Nicholson scene and/or an Abbot & Costello skit.
Funny.
At the the time, I thought only of them having racks of pre-stretched dough.
Then again, I somehow don't think they'd have appreciated me saying, "I'd like a medium pizza, with a two-inch ring cut around the dough before you put on the sauce, sprinkle, some cheese, and add garlic before you cook it. And I'd like the ring of dough to take home with me separately."

Reaction Score
So has anyone been to Sally's since they reopened? That website (sallysapizzatogo.com) doesn't exist, at least not yet. Do you just call to order? Curious to hear reports of how they do their takeout.

>> Only a few years ago, you couldn’t even get Sally’s to pick up the phone to order pies for takeout unless you had reached that rarified status in the New Haven community where you were one of the lucky folks with the secret Sally’s Apizza inside number.

Well, as the coronavirus pandemic has shown us, things change.

Over the weekend, Sally’s — among the first New Haven restaurants to close a few weeks back — quietly reopened for takeout. And beginning later this week, pizza lovers will be able to order its soulfully thin, nicely-charred, unmistakably fragrant, coal-oven New Haven-style apizza both online at sallysapizzatogo.com or over the phone at 203-624-5271.

And, through the wonders of modern smartphone app technology, they (well, DoorDash, Uber Eats and GrubHub, anyway) will deliver it to your door.<<

>>Delivery will be available to people who live within 5-8 miles. The app will let potential customers know whether they’re close enough, Nelson said.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow. Great find! My wife is a Montana expat, never tried Sally's and wanted to give it a try ever since seeing Dave's pizza review. Will definitely give it a try whenever we have some time to venture into New Haven from Norwalk.
Sally's is opening a place in Norwalk, I'm pretty sure. Who knows when that will be with the current situation

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Sally's to Deliver

Back in the day, if you wanted to get Sally’s Apizza delivered, you had to own a big, old factory having a Christmas party, be some kind of bigwig ordering pies by the dozen at Yale — or Frank Sinatra, himself. Not anymore...

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Sally's is opening a place in Norwalk, I'm pretty sure. Who knows when that will be with the current situation

It's actually a storefront along West Avenue "in" the mall. So you can enter right from the street. But it's non=essential (interior fit-out) construction so it's shut down for now....

Reaction Score
Something seems off about the online ordering prices. Unless prices jumped up that much.
Food prices have gone up 20% I'm told. Think of all the extra overhead for cost of cleaning and protective gear now. It gets passed along to the consumer

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Sally's to Deliver

Back in the day, if you wanted to get Sally’s Apizza delivered, you had to own a big, old factory having a Christmas party, be some kind of bigwig ordering pies by the dozen at Yale — or Frank Sinatra, himself. Not anymore...
I used to work at a New Haven based bank, and we were lucky enough to have them deliver once a quarter or so. Yum.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t decide if it should go here or frozen pizza thread:

Stumbled upon this today... interesting local
connection. (Wonder if they ship to US?):

>>Italian immigrants began opening up pizza shops around the United States soon after the turn of the 20th century. One of those entrepreneurs included Frank Pepe, an illiterate Italian teenager who immigrated to New Haven, Connecticut, in 1909, only to return home a few years later to fight for his country in the First World War. After returning to the U.S., Frank and his new wife Filomena opened Pepe’s Pizzeria in 1925, serving up an unassuming dish from their beloved home on the Amalfi Coast.

At this pizzeria, an employee named Louis Jordan honed his pizza-making craft by working with Pepe’s wood-fired ovens. Jordan and his wife, Anne, eventually decided to move to Norway, where Anne’s ancestors were from. And in May of 1970, they opened their own pizzeria in Oslo named Peppes.

The Jordans’ decision to launch Peppes in Norway couldn’t have happened at a better time. For years, Norway’s food culture had stagnated, and seemed impervious to global food trends. Norwegians growing up during the 1970s and 1980s describe the food during those years as “somewhat depressing.” So when Peppes arrived in Norway, boasting nine varieties of Italian and American-style pizza, their unique menu soon attracted a following. The couple swiftly opened additional restaurants across Norway to accommodate the growing demand. Today, Peppes is considered one of the most popular pizza chains in Norway, with 70 restaurants scattered around the nation.<<

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So when someone here does succeed in getting pizza from the "new" Sally's, please let me know how you accomplished it.

I was going to get takeout from there tonight. Tried the ToastTab website for online orders and it says that they are not taking taking online orders at this time. Tried calling, literally more than 50 times since around noon, and the line has been busy each time, so I am guessing they are doing what they have always done and are simply leaving the phone off the hook until they open, which is 3:00 now. I don't want to wait until then to find out because my other pizza preferences will be foreclosed by then, given the way they have been selling during the pandemic. So I decided to abandon the Sally's plan tonight and go with Bufalina instead, but I would like to know how to actually get takeout from Sally's sometime and not have to go through the typical Sally's nonsense to get it.

Reaction Score
So when someone here does succeed in getting pizza from the "new" Sally's, please let me know how you accomplished it.

I was going to get takeout from there tonight. Tried the ToastTab website for online orders and it says that they are not taking taking online orders at this time. Tried calling, literally more than 50 times since around noon, and the line has been busy each time, so I am guessing they are doing what they have always done and are simply leaving the phone off the hook until they open, which is 3:00 now. I don't want to wait until then to find out because my other pizza preferences will be foreclosed by then, given the way they have been selling during the pandemic. So I decided to abandon the Sally's plan tonight and go with Bufalina instead, but I would like to know how to actually get takeout from Sally's sometime and not have to go through the typical Sally's nonsense to get it.
Doordash if you live local

Reaction Score

The phones and website will be open at 3 according the the news articles.
We’ve been trying to call since 12 and it’s been busy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It is a near consensus that Sally's is in the top 3, dare I say THE top, of the New Haven pizzas, but the way people have discussed their service knocks it down a few notches for me. In fairness it is only one parlor of the generally considered top 5 (along with the original Frank Pepe, Bar, Modern and Zuppardi's) that I haven't gotten around to in the last 21 years, but I would typically consider the whole experience in a rating.

Same reason I'm not particularly heartbroken about never being to Louis' Lunch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Doordash if you live local

Thanks. I work local but live outside the delivery area so I don't want to have it delivered to me at work only to have to then drive it home. I just want to pick up at Sally's, which I thought they were supposed to have streamlined now.

The phones and website will be open at 3 according the the news articles.
We’ve been trying to call since 12 and it’s been busy.
Thanks. That's what I finally figured. I'll be curious to hear how easy it is to get through then, and what the pickup times are.

It is a near consensus that Sally's is in the top 3, dare I say THE top, of the New Haven pizzas, but the way people have discussed their service knocks it down a few notches for me. In fairness it is only one parlor of the generally considered top 5 (along with the original Frank Pepe, Bar, Modern and Zuppardi's) that I haven't gotten around to in the last 21 years, but I would typically consider the whole experience in a rating.

Same reason I'm not particularly heartbroken about never being to Louis' Lunch.

You're not wrong. The pizza is tremendous but the hassle and inconvenience always made it the least-frequented of the majors for me (one time I got in with "the secret number" and it was magical; every other time it was a PITA). And I would never have considered takeout from there previously because the wait times I was quoted the few times I tried were more than an hour, usually closer to two. That's why I was hopeful that the new setup would be more user-friendly, but I'm not getting that sense so far.

I've also heard from one New Haven pizza regular who has had it this week that she didn't think it was nearly as good as it used to be; she thought they had changed something about the recipe, and not for the better.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I work local but live outside the delivery area so I don't want to have it delivered to me at work only to have to then drive it home. I just want to pick up at Sally's, which I thought they were supposed to have streamlined now.

Thanks. That's what I finally figured. I'll be curious to hear how easy it is to get through then, and what the pickup times are.

You're not wrong. The pizza is tremendous but the hassle and inconvenience always made it the least-frequented of the majors for me (one time I got in with "the secret number" and it was magical; every other time it was a PITA). And I would never have considered takeout from there previously because the wait times I was quoted the few times I tried were more than an hour, usually closer to two. That's why I was hopeful that the new setup would be more user-friendly, but I'm not getting that sense so far.

I've also heard from one New Haven pizza regular who has had it this week that she didn't think it was nearly as good as it used to be; she thought they had changed something about the recipe, and not for the better.
Finally got through after 40 calls. Mediums only tonight.

25 minute wait.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Finally got through after 40 calls. Mediums only tonight.

25 minute wait.
Update. Still waiting for the pizzas. Tons of people here. Probably wasn’t smart of us to come the day they start online.

Thanks. Even though I have already placed and paid for our Bufalina order, I was curious to see how it would play out at Sally's so I checked the website at 3:00 and a few more times between then and 4, and I also called a few times during that time to see if I could even get through. Never got through on the phone. The website had no option to select a later pickup time. At 3:00 the only option was pickup in 5 to 10 minutes. At 3:15 the only option was pickup in 45 to 50 minutes. By 4:00 the website was shut down with no further orders being accepted.

How freaking hard is it to make it so that someone can order a pizza for a set pickup time, e.g., order at 12:30 for pickup at 5:30? Every competitor of theirs offers this option. I can't see myself getting pizza from Sally's again until they do, or until I can eat it there. Very glad I trusted my gut and didn't try to get it there tonight, because it would have turned out exactly as I feared, i.e., no pizza from Sally's and all other preferred options foreclosed by then.

Hope it's still good for all that hassle!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Food prices have gone up 20% I'm told. Think of all the extra overhead for cost of cleaning and protective gear now. It gets passed along to the consumer
That's not how it works.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom