OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 176 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I
I've enjoyed my last two Olde Worlds more than my last two Moderns. Just a statement to be taken for what it is.

OW is ex-Modern guys, I believe.
Essentially take-out (3 tables, no atmosphere), and cash only, for those who haven't been.

EDIT: Pretty easy off-and-back-on, Wilbur Cross Exit 61, closes at 9pm
These cash only guys might really need to get with the times soon, especially with the virus and how easily cash spreads germs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Best. Birthday. Dinner. Ever.

1586906244754.jpeg

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Hell ya! I wonder if they sell these at Stop & Shop or Price Chopper?
I’m in South Carolina I ordered their 6 pack it cost me freaking $100 and will take 3 weeks to arrive lol. Hope it’s worth it.

Reaction Score
Hell ya! I wonder if they sell these at Stop & Shop or Price Chopper?

Try Shop-Rite’s

>>While Zuppardi’s is still working on getting into some key Greater New Haven stores, the pizzas currently are available at Cingari family-owned Shop Rite stores in Derby, Shelton, Fairfield, Danbury, Norwalk and Southbury, Cheri Zuppardi said.

It’s also available at Caron’s Corner in Branford, the three Caraluzzi’s stores in Newtown, Bethel and Wilton, Brody’s Seafood Market and Deli in Norwich and Pat’s IGA in Wolcott...<<

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Best. Birthday. Dinner. Ever.

View attachment 53056
So this was really an exceptional treat. I got two pies from Zupp's and one each from Modern and Pepe's. Had Sally's not been closed I would have gotten one from them also; I did not include BAR because I did not trust that it would hold up well enough for takeout.

Zupp's: one Fresh Clam (white), one "The Special" (house-made sausage and mushroom, red)
Modern: artichoke and eggplant, red pie, light mozz
Pepe's: Meatball, mozz, ricotta (red)

I ordered all of them around noon, for dinner time pick-up 15 minutes apart. Specified all of them to be uncut.
Started at Zupp's, which had the best system for takeout of the three. You can park in their lot and they call you on your cell when your pizza is ready. Then you pull in front of the restaurant, where they have cones creating a lane right in front. Waitress comes out, with face mask, and hands you your pies. The only glitch is that they don't do payment over the phone; you have to pay there, which means signing credit card, etc. But easy peasy if you have disinfectant handy. Zupp's offered a "part-bake" for us to finish in the oven at home. Although that has worked well with Bufalina, I think I would have them finish it next time and just keep it uncut, as it was hard to get the full char on at home. Excellent pies though.

Modern frequently undercooks their pies for my tastes, so I didn't add "well done" to my order this time, and it turned out perfectly after reheating at home. They have their usual pickup spot, but they have added a plastic divider. As long as only one person is picking up at a time, it's fine. They also have you pay in person.

After hearing mention from others that they might prefer the new Pepe's pie cooked a little more, I decided to just order it as is, figuring that we would finish it off at home as well. They do take payment over the phone, but you still have to go in and pick it up. They only awkwardness is if people are walking out as you are walking it, which happened to me with a succession of three different people, each of whom assumed I was holding the door for them, and they each stepped way too close for comfort imo. Love the new pie though.

Hit the entrance ramp after Pepe's and was home in less than 20 minutes (loving this no-traffic thing). Ovens were ready and we were eating less than ten minutes later. Mrs. 8893 made a nice arugula salad to accompany.

I've never had the chance to sample multiple places side-by-side like this before, and it was awesome. I truly believed that each pie was the best while I was eating it, only to change my mind when I started eating the next slice from a different pie. Each one was A+ and I couldn't possibly rank them because they were all glorious. The only thing I can say with certainty is that I like Zupp's white clam pie better than Pepe's. Even though I didn't have the Pepe's clam yesterday, I've had it recently enough to recall it, and I think Zupp's is simply better for my tastes. I also thought that the Modern crust held up the best of the three, but the kids thought Pepe's crust was best.

Yep, Best. Birthday. Dinner. Ever.

And soon to be the best lunch....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m in South Carolina I ordered their 6 pack it cost me freaking $100 and will take 3 weeks to arrive lol. Hope it’s worth it.

So, $16.6666 per pie. You almost have to buy in bulk to justify the amount. I still think it's worth it as a one -time or special occasion gift.

I mentioned earlier in one of these threads we did something similar to our son a year or two ago for his birthday. He liked Lou Malnati's when he ate there while visiting some cousins in Chicago. We got him a shipment of Lou's deep dishes and we had to get the 5-6 pack to justify the cost. Whatever, not much more expensive than going to a restaurant and ordering up a few pizzas, drinks, tip, etc.

Reaction Score
So this was really an exceptional treat. I got two pies from Zupp's and one each from Modern and Pepe's. Had Sally's not been closed I would have gotten one from them also; I did not include BAR because I did not trust that it would hold up well enough for takeout.

Zupp's: one Fresh Clam (white), one "The Special" (house-made sausage and mushroom, red)
Modern: artichoke and eggplant, red pie, light mozz
Pepe's: Meatball, mozz, ricotta (red)

I ordered all of them around noon, for dinner time pick-up 15 minutes apart. Specified all of them to be uncut.
Started at Zupp's, which had the best system for takeout of the three. You can park in their lot and they call you on your cell when your pizza is ready. Then you pull in front of the restaurant, where they have cones creating a lane right in front. Waitress comes out, with face mask, and hands you your pies. The only glitch is that they don't do payment over the phone; you have to pay there, which means signing credit card, etc. But easy peasy if you have disinfectant handy. Zupp's offered a "part-bake" for us to finish in the oven at home. Although that has worked well with Bufalina, I think I would have them finish it next time and just keep it uncut, as it was hard to get the full char on at home. Excellent pies though.

Modern frequently undercooks their pies for my tastes, so I didn't add "well done" to my order this time, and it turned out perfectly after reheating at home. They have their usual pickup spot, but they have added a plastic divider. As long as only one person is picking up at a time, it's fine. They also have you pay in person.

After hearing mention from others that they might prefer the new Pepe's pie cooked a little more, I decided to just order it as is, figuring that we would finish it off at home as well. They do take payment over the phone, but you still have to go in and pick it up. They only awkwardness is if people are walking out as you are walking it, which happened to me with a succession of three different people, each of whom assumed I was holding the door for them, and they each stepped way too close for comfort imo. Love the new pie though.

Hit the entrance ramp after Pepe's and was home in less than 20 minutes (loving this no-traffic thing). Ovens were ready and we were eating less than ten minutes later. Mrs. 8893 made a nice arugula salad to accompany.

I've never had the chance to sample multiple places side-by-side like this before, and it was awesome. I truly believed that each pie was the best while I was eating it, only to change my mind when I started eating the next slice from a different pie. Each one was A+ and I couldn't possibly rank them because they were all glorious. The only thing I can say with certainty is that I like Zupp's white clam pie better than Pepe's. Even though I didn't have the Pepe's clam yesterday, I've had it recently enough to recall it, and I think Zupp's is simply better for my tastes. I also thought that the Modern crust held up the best of the three, but the kids thought Pepe's crust was best.

Yep, Best. Birthday. Dinner. Ever.

And soon to be the best lunch....

Truly an embarrassment of riches. Happy belated birthday.

Reaction Score
Had the pleasure of visiting old friends at Carlito’s of Woodbury tonight. If in the Woodbury area, I highly recommend them. I used to live right up the street, forgot just how good their pizza and overall food is. Light, flaky crust with just enough char at the bottom, with a sweet, delicious sauce. Terrific people to boot. Excellent experience as always.

Attachments

• 65AADB55-7AA4-4612-9E39-A49DB4F30ADB.jpeg
    65AADB55-7AA4-4612-9E39-A49DB4F30ADB.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 157

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Rumor has it the remodeled (!!!) Sally's has re-opening in Wooster Square. Can anyone confirm?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Rumor has it the remodeled (!!!) Sally's has re-opening in Wooster Square. Can anyone confirm?
They were scheduled to reopen yesterday.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
And they appear to now have a pick-up/take-out window!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So has anyone been to Sally's since they reopened? That website (sallysapizzatogo.com) doesn't exist, at least not yet. Do you just call to order? Curious to hear reports of how they do their takeout.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A bit of sad news today, as Rossini's in East Hampton is staying closed (Normally closed on Mondays) for at least the next two weeks. We still have Pizzeria DaVinci a bit further down the road, but still.

I bought a couple Red Barons but the only advantage is the $4.99 price. The artificial pizza flavor freezer burn is not the 6.2 El Prez gave them. Not going to the store until the end of the week but I will explore starting to make homemade pizza in the meantime.

Reaction Score
So has anyone been to Sally's since they reopened? That website (sallysapizzatogo.com) doesn't exist, at least not yet. Do you just call to order? Curious to hear reports of how they do their takeout.

I saw this over the weekend. Haven't tried yet

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom