OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 174 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Tasty but had Florida pizza crust. Guy from Massachusetts thought it was incredible. Figures.
Western Mass, Boston or the Cape? Inquiring minds want to know.
To my recollection, Western MA is indistinquishable from Northeastern NY --puffy without a hint of crustiness.; Boston, thick and chewy, sometimes with a decent char, but way too thick; and finally, Cape Cod Pizza -- Kinda light and airy, but more like a slightly overcooked puff pastry than a pizza crust.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Buddy in my group chat: “can’t believe Lamont canceled my bowling night for the flu. We better get softball unless there’s corpses flooding the streets

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Buddy in my group chat: “can’t believe Lamont canceled my bowling night for the flu. We better get softball unless there’s corpses flooding the streets
Wrong thread

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sally's is now closed until Friday, April 10th...
I walked up to and past Ernie's on Friday, saw it was moderately busy, and considered ordering for take out (not waiting inside).

At the time, I had thoughts of, "Better get in while it's still open," followed by, "If it comes to their being closed, maybe it means that I shouldn't have gone in the prior week."

Ate Zuppardi's frozen pie from Big Y instead. Not the same, obviously. Still wondering about 'timing' for another takeout, or pulling back and seeing how it plays out.

April 10th seems distant, but maybe they're going to tackle the bathrooms, and they got a pro clean estimate (jkjk).

I've really liked my recent Sally's visits. Took my sister there 10 days ago, and she loved it. She'd never been, and had been unimpressed w/Pepe's on her first trip to Pepe's in November (saying that she'd liked Fairfield more). Specifically on Sally's, like many, she entered a skeptic and left a fan of plain tomato pie.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
While I’m here, I should note that Bufalina is now offering curbside pickup for take out customers (which I gather is all anyone is going to have for a while).
Big sky walk at Hammonasset, and Buffalina on the way home. But where to park the car to eat it? Hmm.
Does it reheat acceptably? Pro tips?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The best way to reheat good pizza slices is in the cast-iron skillet (h/t Chin Diesel). But it takes a bit of finesse, you need to get the pan hot enough to cook it decently but not so hot that the bottom of the pizza blackens before the top is decently warmed. I learned this through trial and error. At the end you can pour a few drops of water in the skillet and cover until the cheese melts a bit. Again, careful to keep the water from the pizza.

As far as reheating an entire pizza, isn't 350 for 5 or so minutes as good as anything?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Big sky walk at Hammonasset, and Buffalina on the way home. But where to park the car to eat it? Hmm.
Does it reheat acceptably? Pro tips?
First, if you're talking about today, they are closed on Mondays.

As for parking and eating, I would have to imagine that the parking lot across the street for the CVS and other shops there is probably going to be pretty empty for the next couple weeks.

After refusing to do takeout from there for several years, I have been a convert for the past few years, more as a matter of necessity than anything else (i.e., my chances to eat-in there dwindled, and I didn't want to go that long without their pizza). If I am reheating their takeout that I've just picked up, I start by cracking the lid on each pizza box on the way home so I can vent out some of the heat and prevent steaming in the box (they use corrugated cardboard boxes that tend to insulate and hold heat more than the flat cardboard like Modern uses). While I'm en route home, Mrs. 8893 heats the home oven to 425, with our metal, perforated pizza pans inside. Then we take either whole pies or lots of slices, depending on who is eating, and place them on the preheated pans until they are just bubbling again. Totally acceptable.

If I am reheating the next day, I either use the skillet method @Waquoit references above, or more often I use our Breville convection toaster oven, which has a pizza setting that works quite well. I put tinfoil over the pan for that oven and allow it to preheat to the fresh (i.e., not frozen) pizza setting, which I believe is somewhere between 425 and 450. Once it's heated I put the pizza on the tin foil that covers the pan and heat it until it starts to bubble. Comes out nice and crisp.

Reaction Score
I managed to get my wife hooked on the good, old UConn standby, Willington Pizza, years ago whle dragging her to various UConn sporting events. So, on my way back from Maine, I picked-up two pies (red potato for me and her and Hawaiian for the kids) for dinner. Its not New Haven; but, I do like the light, non-greasy crust, and the different flavors when I need a change-of-pace with my pizza. It also re-heats well as I live a good 2 hours from Exit 68.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
New hours and pickup protocol (love the under-baked and not cut recommendation) at Bufalina:

Here at Bufalina we are extremely grateful for all of our customers and being a part of the Guilford community for the past nine years. Under the current circumstances we are limiting our hours to Thursday, Friday, & Saturday 4:00 to 8:00pm. According to State protocol we will be open for takeout and curbside pickup only. In order to keep our patrons and employees safe we are moving to credit card transactions only taken over the phone.

In the meantime, to keep our food handling down to a minimum we will be using a basil oil made in house on our Margherita and Bufalina Pizzas instead of fresh torn basil.

Our recommendation and how we personally eat our takeout pizza we suggest asking for them slightly under baked and not cut. Where you can then take them home and pop them in a hot oven (425 degrees for about 5 minutes.)

We hope to be serving in house customers again soon.

Stay healthy

Sincerely,

Matt & Melissa

Reaction Score
New hours and pickup protocol (love the under-baked and not cut recommendation) at Bufalina:

Here at Bufalina we are extremely grateful for all of our customers and being a part of the Guilford community for the past nine years. Under the current circumstances we are limiting our hours to Thursday, Friday, & Saturday 4:00 to 8:00pm. According to State protocol we will be open for takeout and curbside pickup only. In order to keep our patrons and employees safe we are moving to credit card transactions only taken over the phone.

In the meantime, to keep our food handling down to a minimum we will be using a basil oil made in house on our Margherita and Bufalina Pizzas instead of fresh torn basil.

Our recommendation and how we personally eat our takeout pizza we suggest asking for them slightly under baked and not cut. Where you can then take them home and pop them in a hot oven (425 degrees for about 5 minutes.)

Stay healthy

Sincerely,

Matt & Melissa

Where I live, the town put up a list on its website of all of the restaurants in town noting which are closed, which offer take-out, and which offer delivery, including Grub Hub. Going to do my best to support them as I want them to still be in business when this is all over and the fact that many of my neighbors own or work for them.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
[chow] in Clinton puts out great pizza pies.

Brought home one called The Mahalo yesterday. Sweet Jesus!!

mozz/proscuitto/bacon/grilled pineapple and pineapple chipotle BBQ sauce.

It gets five "Oh mommys!!!"

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Pepes is delivering via door dash. Id still rather pick it up. Fairfield has its game at 90% of new haven. Best thing my g\f confuses them on the phone order she's so particular, they always get it wrong (red pie well done double pepperoni, extra grated cheese) ....she's right then don't listen....then make the right pizza and comp us the mistake lol.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
[chow] in Clinton puts out great pizza pies.

Brought home one called The Mahalo yesterday. Sweet Jesus!!

mozz/proscuitto/bacon/grilled pineapple and pineapple chipotle BBQ sauce.

It gets five "Oh mommys!!!"
I’ve been there twice and was underwhelmed both times. Didn’t think they did anything particularly great; like they want to be Moxie, but sell mediocre BBQ and pizza. Have not tried that pie but sounds interesting—but doubt I’ll give them another shot.

My wife and daughters are more forgiving and have been two other times without me and have come away wanting more then, too.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I’ve been there twice and was underwhelmed both times. Didn’t think they did anything particularly great; like they want to be Moxie, but sell mediocre BBQ and pizza. Have not tried that pie but sounds interesting—but doubt I’ll give them another shot.

My wife and daughters are more forgiving and have been two other times without me and have come away wanting more then, too.
Ah, well.

Reaction Score

Stay healthy

Sincerely,

Matt & Melissa
They were really busy last night! And selling wine by the bottle for 20% off. Glad some of these places are able to keep business going, this is going to crush so many restaurants.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They were really busy last night! And selling wine by the bottle for 20% off. Glad some of these places are able to keep business going, this is going to crush so many restaurants.
Great to hear. I think we’re going to get dinner from there tonight.

Reaction Score
Pepes is delivering via door dash. Id still rather pick it up. Fairfield has its game at 90% of new haven. Best thing my g\f confuses them on the phone order she's so particular, they always get it wrong (red pie well done double pepperoni, extra grated cheese) ....she's right then don't listen....then make the right pizza and comp us the mistake lol.

That's a good question. What's the best non-New Haven Pepe's? I'm been to Fairfield, Waterbury, Danbury, and West Hartford. In my opinion, West Hartford was the best I had so far.

Reaction Score
That's a good question. What's the best non-New Haven Pepe's? I'm been to Fairfield, Waterbury, Danbury, and West Hartford. In my opinion, West Hartford was the best I had so far.
I agree on West Hartford being the top franchise location I have had.

Reaction Score
Whenever I get Pepe’s I always get a pie that is broccoli, Olive oil, grated cheese, garlic, oregano. No mozz. I repeat no mozz several times, let them know that them they usually add mozz by accident... No matter what I say, 75% of the time they make the pizza with mozz. Same thing though, they always just make the pie the right way while I wait and I get the other one for free. It seems like the person taking the order knows it was a mistake, but the people reading the slips don’t pay close enough attention.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom