OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 166 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Iliano’s is good but imo, it’s now 4th place in Middletown behind Mondo’s, Krust, and Vero Cucino.
I like Krust but definitely place Iliano’s over that and Mondo. Krust would be a close second IMO. Thanks for the suggestion on Vero Cucino.

Reaction Score
Greek Style but Olympic Pizza in Glastonbury has a pie called Mike’s pizza (Buffalo chicken, pepperoni, optional jalapeños) and it’s pretty damn good. I prefer Harry’s, Pepe’s or Luna, but if ur looking for Greek style this is legit.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Right, and I am equally unsure if there are any other locations under a different name give the split(s). But I found this: View attachment 48993

Interesting. I've mentioned it before on this thread, but about a dozen years ago, a place opened a few miles south of me that advertised they'd bought Harry's pizza recipes. When they first opened I thought they were best pizza near me. But over time I felt they went downhill and a couple other places opened that were closer to decent (not top-level NH) CT/NY style.

So I was wondering, does the pizza from Harry's in CT look anything like the pizza from Harry's out here? IMO, the pizza from Harry's (here) is regularly underdone these days.

Harry's, McMurray, PA.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I've mentioned it before on this thread, but about a dozen years ago, a place opened a few miles south of me that advertised they'd bought Harry's pizza recipes. When they first opened I thought they were best pizza near me. But over time I felt they went downhill and a couple other places opened that were closer to decent (not top-level NH) CT/NY style.

So I was wondering, does the pizza from Harry's in CT look anything like the pizza from Harry's out here? IMO, the pizza from Harry's (here) is regularly underdone these days.

Harry's, McMurray, PA.

I got a Harry's special yesterday that was absolutely delicious but if I could have changed one thing I would have ordered it a little bit crispier. Actually I should say a slightly modified Harry's special as they let me substitute a supressota for the pepperoni.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Harry's, McMurray, PA.
Their website photo does them no favors, and does not look like what I most recently had at Bishops Corner in West Hartford in 2017.

Reaction Score
Has anyone had Papa Johns? How good is it compared to Pizza Hut/Dominos?
When I spent time in Ky
I had Papa John’s . Better than Domino ‘s ( so are many frozen pizza’s) different that Pizza Hut.
More similar to some of the Greek Pizza’s all around CT.
Pizza Hut is low end Chicago style.
There are a few much better ones in the Phoenix area but I don’t consider that Pizza.
Grimsldi’s makes us a custom pie ( I’m a pizza snob) and is the closest to NE thin crust out here .
New Haven is a pain to get to so we usually go to Pepe’s Danbury location.
Its great without the hassle and they have Foxen White Birch
OT
I Went to a great Italian Restaurant in Oct.Grano Arso in Chester
Might of been on our annual pilgrimage to the Dooney &Burk outlet
It’s the Closest to my mothers cooking of any place I’ve been . My mom was the best cook ever.
I feel sorry for people that didn’t eat at our house.

Reaction Score
And some people wonder how there can be a 165 page pizza thread.

After yoga, sauna, steam, soak, shower, and getting dressed at the New Haven JCC on Saturday, I happily surprise-encountered my former next door neighbors, their sons, and her parents, hosting a 4th birthday party for their older son, who I've known since birth. He builds with my childhood Lincoln Logs, American Bricks, Tinker Toys, and Kenner Girder & Panel set. Later in the day, he got my small Tyco HO train set.

As they transitioned upstairs from a playspace of inflatables, I was invited to join them for "cake."

Before cake, it was, more or less, crudite & pizza: Ernie's Pizza pizza. Bread-y, cheese-y Ernie's pizza. The New Haven pizza that occupies the outlier space of being completely what kids crave and therefore what those who don't really like New Haven style pizza like the most AND being great pizza. This is Westville's 'neighborhood favorite' entry (Yes, some prefer Dayton St,but I find better versions of "Abeetz" elsewhere not too far away), already down to lukewarm as it is served, by almost all appearances undistinguished pizza like you'd get after a middle school play or little league game. Bread-y. Cheese-y. And, somehow, I love it. Every time. So do the kids. So do the parents, and grandparents, and friends, from Pennsylvania, Mexico City, Columbia County (NY), a few blocks away, wherever. So do Yelpers. And Facebook followers. It's Pat making pizzas the way his dad did, the way he learned (so I've been told by pizza historian Colin Caplan) from Mike, once of West Haven, gone, but with a nice bar & pizza place still bearing his name (unfortunately closed today, otherwise ideal for tonight's Giants-Cowboys all-time tie-breaker game).

165 pages, and forking (or not) counting...
Need sparknotes on a pizza post. Thanks

Reaction Score

Harry's, McMurray, PA.
Their website photo does them no favors, and does not look like what I most recently had at Bishops Corner in West Hartford in 2017.
Their website just uses stock images which is silly since pizza is so visual. This photo from TripAdvisor does make it look fairly similar to Harry’s proper:

harry-s-pizza_rotated_90.jpg

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Harry's was owned by three people: Harry, Mark and Barbara. If I remember the story correctly, they met when they were working at Hot Tomatoes in Hartford, when that place was in its heyday and they were making really good money. They heard that there was good profit in pizza and they knew that Hartford was lacking, especially as compared with New Haven, so they decided to open a pizza place. They knew Pepe's was regarded as the best, so Mark and/or Harry worked there just long enough to get some insight on the ingredients and preparation, and together with Barbara they opened a takeout only place on Capital Avenue in Hartford. The place did a booming business and they expanded out to a full service restaurant on Farmington Ave. in West Hartford center (next to Lavery Appliance), where they thrived for many years. The pizza was always solid (it has many mentions in this thread) and the place was great; they had standard pizza ovens though, so they never achieved the char you get with coal or wood fired ovens.

I believe Barbara was married to Mark initially, but then they divorced and she married Harry. I think she had children with each of them, and she split from and reconciled with Harry few times before finally ending it in a less-than-amicable split with Harry, but she remained business partners with Mark and they opened one or more "Barb's Pizza" or something like that. I have no idea who owns what now, or how many establishments any of them have.

Wow!
They are the Fleetwood Mac of pizza!

Reaction Score
In central CT, try Mama Luke's on Rte 6 in Bristol ( a mile west of Tunxis Community College.) Three great ones in a row, the minimal test for me.

Is that in the old Rossini's space? Just going off your directional description. That Rossini's had a great pie (@mauconnfan) and would definitely try it if it's the same log cabin spot.

Reaction Score
Is that in the old Rossini's space? Just going off your directional description. That Rossini's had a great pie (@mauconnfan) and would definitely try it if it's the same log cabin spot.
That's the old Joey Garlic's spot. The Joey's guys sold it to one of their partners. Not sure if it was Rossini's before JG.

Reaction Score
We willingly drive 40 minutes to enjoy the pizza at our favorite place, Zuppardi’s Apizza in West Haven.
I like Zupps but I haven’t tried their clam pie yet, definitely next time. What do you typically get from there?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Zuppardis white clam absolutely crush Pepe's. imo
The most otherworldly slices from my rather full 'recalibration' tour of at least 15 different New Haven area pizzerias since Labor Day were the first two from a Zuppardi's freshly-shucked white clam pie.

Reaction Score
So I was talking to the owner of Joey Garlic's, I do a lot of work for them. Their regular pies are solid, but he's pretty excited about this new Detroit style pie that has gained steam in Michigan. I know this board is all about love for thin crest but he says the thick crust is very light -something to do with the amount of water in the dough.

They sold out amid good reviews during the first couple days of offerings. Gonna have to give it a try

Outline version

Reaction Score
So I was talking to the owner of Joey Garlic's, I do a lot of work for them. Their regular pies are solid, but he's pretty excited about this new Detroit style pie that has gained steam in Michigan. I know this board is all about love for thin crest but he says the thick crust is very light -something to do with the amount of water in the dough.

They sold out amid good reviews during the first couple days of offerings. Gonna have to give it a try

Outline version
We got a guy from the D here in San Diego who has been setting up a tent and making this style for a year and a half or so. Angry Pete’s, if anyone is/comes out here.

I am normally in complete agreement regarding crust and style, being from NJ and going to UConn. I will say, though, that every once in a while, it’s good to bite through the thicker, but as you say, very light crust.

it helps that he does awesome topping combinations, but yeah I’ve had this new style and #confirm it’s at least worth a try

Reaction Score
Nothing new about Detroit style pizza, that's how they've always done it there. It's just square pan pizza cooked in a square tray, like grandma style. It's usually pretty good. I think Jet's pizza is a national chain now.

Reaction Score
Nothing new about Detroit style pizza, that's how they've always done it there. It's just square pan pizza cooked in a square tray, like grandma style. It's usually pretty good. I think Jet's pizza is a national chain now.
But are they making less-dense crust now within that square, thick style? I think that’s what dude is implying by “new Detroit style”

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

Grandma style? That's Old Forge Style!

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I think it was mentioned early in the thread but Ilianos’ Washington St location in Middletown is consistently fantastic. They offer slices, with a great variety of white and red pies. Definitely worth a visit for anyone nearby who hasn’t tried it.

I never ordered a full pie but I eat their slices at least twice per month. Large variety of slices. Pretty good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom