OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 175 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They were really busy last night! And selling wine by the bottle for 20% off. Glad some of these places are able to keep business going, this is going to crush so many restaurants.
Great to hear. I think we’re going to get dinner from there tonight.
We called around 3:30 yesterday to place an order that we were hoping to pick up between 5:30 and 6:00. Good for them that they were already so booked for the night that we had to pick up a little after 5:00, otherwise they were pretty much at their limit until they close at 8:00. We followed their advice and got them slightly under baked and not cut, and then finished off in the preheated oven at home. The special was the surprise winner among our five pies: Macerated Black Currant Pizza, with mozzarella, gorgonzola dolce and fresh arugula (wisely given on the side to be added after removing from the oven).

Looking forward to leftovers this afternoon.

Reaction Score
One Bite has been doing frozen pizza reviews from his apartment while sheltering in place. Check out the surprising cameo from someone we all know and love in his review of Red Baron...

EDIT: To save you the time... It's 2:20 ish in

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
One Bite has been doing frozen pizza reviews from his apartment while sheltering in place. Check out the surprising cameo from someone we all know and love in his review of Red Baron...

This is actually one Barstool review I appreciate. DiGiorno sucks as a pizza, and as a company.

Reaction Score
I hope a Stouffer's French Bread review is up soon. I crushed those in my teenage years. Talk about wrecking the roof of your mouth....
They are the best though still. Or bagel bites.

Reaction Score

>>Frank and Angela Bernardo decided that as the city’s health workers rise to the occasion to treat Covid-19 pandemic patients, they would help keep the city’s ambulance drivers and ER nurses fueled in the classic New Haven style.

At around noon Thursday, the emergency room parking lot at Yale-New Haven Hospital (YNHH)’s St. Raphael campus was filled with partially-red trucks. Most had stretchers being loaded in and out, occasionally with a patient but most of the time empty. Paramedics gathered by the rear of their ambulances and waited, or sprayed down their equipment.

One of the red trucks featured even more of a flurry of activity. But pizzas, not stretchers, were flowing in and out. The whole parking lot smelled like ever-so slightly charred crust and sizzling tomato sauce and mozzarella.

Bernardo, the chef and businessman behind the New Haven Pizza Truck, ended up making and donating 186 cheese pizzas on Thursday to serve around 600 medical staff at the St. Raphael campus as well as the emergency room at YNHH’s York Street campus.<<

Reaction Score
Hit Pepe's in New Haven yesterday and got the Meatball and Ricotta pie, which I believe was recently added to the menu. Delicious. Other than getting it cooked a minute or so longer to improve the crisp, it was perfect. I should have asked for it crispy. Tasty as could be though.

Reaction Score
I’ve had to throw out the last 2 pizzas I got they were that bad. George’s in Unionville was one. And people lined up at this crappy place. How hard is it to make a pizza?

Reaction Score
Follow up on the Zuppardi's 6 piece I ordered and had shipped in, 6 of them - Cheese, White with tomatoes, Sausage, Sausage/Mushroom, Pepperoni and a Bacon/Onion. Here goes:

Gave the Pepperoni and the Bacon Onion to my son. Ok last Wednesday we cooked the Cheese and the White. My wife loved the white and I liked the Cheese. I will say this, they are small but perfect size for the dinner. Only thing is they need to add more sauce as they dry easily. Also if you go with the 10-12 minutes the crust becomes too hard, not crispy but hard. Still better than the frozen grocery store brands. Then after learning to go 7-9 minutes we did the sausage and sausage shroom on Saturday after having a few outdoors at friends. Much much better the flavor was still really good, much less dry but I do believe you need it to be a little thicker too. It seems the plain cheese and white pizza were a bit too thin. Normally I like thin but when frozen and then needing to be baked at 400 or whatever it dries out too fast. The thickness of the 2 pizzas we had with toppings seemed to keep it's flavor as well as keeping the sauce alive.

Anyway I would do it again they do a nice job. We may try the Chicago style from Goldbelly's now just for the hell of it.

Reaction Score

Interesting the Berkshire Cafe in Torrington was in the Top 16. Underrated pie for sure but changes owners too often. Back in the day the only one close to Verdolini's of Meriden (no longer with us RIP). This just an update for Deepster and AW! LOL

Reaction Score
Interesting the Berkshire Cafe in Torrington was in the Top 16. Underrated pie for sure but changes owners too often. Back in the day the only one close to Verdolini's of Meriden (no longer with us RIP). This just an update for Deepster and AW! LOL

How have we still not gotten someone to make a spooker?!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How have we still not gotten someone to make a spooker?!
Boy the looks I got at Mrs. 8893's work holiday party last year. I met a co-worker of hers from Meriden who knew the Little Rendezvous and Verdolini's history and I asked him about the spooker. You could have heard a pin drop, the room got so quiet.

Meriden guy: "The what?!?"

Me: "Um, it's a pie I heard they used to make at Verdolini's, just sauce and crushed red pepper, I think."

Mrs. 8893: "Where the hell did you hear about this?!?"

Me: "Um, some guy I know who grew up in that area."

Another guy: "DID YOU SAY 'SPOOKER'?!? Really?!? Oh my God, that's great!!!"

Me: "Yeah, that's what he said."

Mrs. 8893: "Oh God. Who is this again?"

Me: "You don't know him."

Other guy: "I want to hear more about The Spooker!!!"

Mrs. 8893: "Why do you always have to embarrass me?"

Good times...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

he reviewed the wrong pie. it's red baron 'brick oven' that's the preferred pie. major prep revelation last week. so, they were on sale, $2.99, last week, and I picked a couple up. and then, because the spirit of discovery is upon us, I decided to leave them outside (40s, overcast) for the few hours till dinner. after adding the usual extras, and broiling on a stone in the oven aboot 7 minutes (after 15+ minutes with only broiler on to torch that stone), and then another few minutes left in with oven off, the difference was spectacular, most noticeably in the crust. basically, a good product elevating to superior status. scary good. we'll be broiling that one defrosted from now on. on a separate note, a big shout out and reminder that ferraros pizza dough, $1.29, is a fine product-chewy crust.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I
I'd throw Olde World in there.
I've enjoyed my last two Olde Worlds more than my last two Moderns. Just a statement to be taken for what it is.

OW is ex-Modern guys, I believe.
Essentially take-out (3 tables, no atmosphere), and cash only, for those who haven't been.

EDIT: Pretty easy off-and-back-on, Wilbur Cross Exit 61, closes at 9pm

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom