OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 172 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score

>>The restaurant has begun serving a meatball and ricotta pizza, “crafted with 100% all natural meatballs, ricotta cheese, crushed Italian tomatoes, mozzarella, grated pecorino Romano and drizzled with olive oil,” according to a release.<<

What does a 100% natural meatball mean?

Reaction Score
Real meat.

According to the Boston press, Pepe's is also opening a new location in Watertown MA.

This would give Pepe's 3 locations in metro Boston now with the Chestnut Hill location that has been in place for a while and the pending Burlington Mall location north of the city.

Reaction Score

>> You can find out on Feb. 14 — yes really Valentine’s Day — when “Pizza, A Love Story” by filmmaker Gorman Bechard receives a “theatrical opening” when it begins screening at the Bow Tie Criterion Cinema on Temple Street. (if you go, don’t embarrass yourself: it’s apizza - pronounced ah-BEETS)

The film, 11 years-in-the-making is an homage to Pepe’s, Sally’s, and Modern, according to Bechard.<<

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

>> You can find out on Feb. 14 — yes really Valentine’s Day — when “Pizza, A Love Story” by filmmaker Gorman Bechard receives a “theatrical opening” when it begins screening at the Bow Tie Criterion Cinema on Temple Street. (if you go, don’t embarrass yourself: it’s apizza - pronounced ah-BEETS)

The film, 11 years-in-the-making is an homage to Pepe’s, Sally’s, and Modern, according to Bechard.<<

It's very good.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
O.T. - off the sub-discussions re: Bacon as a topping. 1993-94-ish there was a slice joint on 82nd or 83rd, just west of 1st Avenue, they had a bacon slice that was a regular slice (from a pie cooked for slices, a bit larger and slightly undercooked compared with a regular pie), completely showered/covered with well-done bacon bits, after cooking, before re-heating. Sublime. 9.5/10. I moved back to CT in 1995, and shortly thereafter the place was gone. Behold on EaterNY this week, Sistema lists his "NYC’s Top 5 Bacon Dishes,"which of course, includes the bacon appetizer at Luger's (well-done, to go with my rare Porterhouse). But #1 is this slice at a joint in Brooklyn, Kings Pizza, in Midwood (home of overrated DiFara). I may just have to head out that way to sample, haven’t been in that neighborhood since my Grandmother passed in 1999.

BaconKingsPizza.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What's the best buffalo chicken pizza in or around West Hartford? Obviously some great spots for pizza in the area, but what about buff chicken style? Haven't been blown away yet.

Reaction Score
What's the best buffalo chicken pizza in or around West Hartford? Obviously some great spots for pizza in the area, but what about buff chicken style? Haven't been blown away yet.
I'm not a fan of Buffalo chicken pizza but friends and family have gotten it at Harry's Bishops Corner and really liked it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I was in Boston for work, had no lunch and had to run to catch the train home (on which I am riding as I type) from South Station. With five minutes before departure I saw Pizzeria Regina in the food court there and figured I’d give it a shot, so I got two cheese slices. It hit the spot because I was famished, but it reminded me more of the thin crust DiGiorno frozen pizza my kids love than anything else. Is this representative of the best of Boston pizza?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Rumor floating around that in addition to the SoNo Collection mall in Norwalk, Sally's is also opening on lower Summer Street in Stamford next to the movie theater. From a commercial broker who does lots of restaurant leasing....

Reaction Score
So I was in Boston for work, had no lunch and had to run to catch the train home (on which I am riding as I type) from South Station. With five minutes before departure I saw Pizzeria Regina in the food court there and figured I’d give it a shot, so I got two cheese slices. It hit the spot because I was famished, but it reminded me more of the thin crust DiGiorno frozen pizza my kids love than anything else. Is this representative of the best of Boston pizza?
I think the pizza dork gave it a 9 something in his pizza review. I had it a couple times years ago and it was never really any good. Last time I was in Boston I asked around and every guy told me don't get pizza in Boston. One girl recommended Galleria Umberto but she was from Connecticut and said she's not a fan of New Haven pizza so I stopped listening to her.

Reaction Score
Pizzeria Regina in the North End is the only real Pizzeria Regina pizza. The rest of them are terrible impersonators. I had a pizza from the Fenway one about a year ago and it was terrible. The one at South Station stinks.

Boston is not a great pizza city but the only ones that I've had that are pretty good, off the top of my head, are Pizzeria Regina on Thacher Street in the North End, Ducali, Santarpio's, Florina (very underrated), and Max & Leo's.

Reaction Score
how about home recipes for dough? anyone have an insight on the subject of incorporating corn meal/corn flower into the mix? ratio?

I always use bread flour which is a mixer of flours, corn meal only when rolling out the crust.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Pizzeria Regina in the North End is the only real Pizzeria Regina pizza. The rest of them are terrible impersonators. I had a pizza from the Fenway one about a year ago and it was terrible. The one at South Station stinks.

Boston is not a great pizza city but the only ones that I've had that are pretty good, off the top of my head, are Pizzeria Regina on Thacher Street in the North End, Ducali, Santarpio's, Florina (very underrated), and Max & Leo's.
near as I can figure it, myuns have been eating at regina's since the 1970s. something about one of us going to school up there, searching for 'something that looks like ct za,' and finding regina's. prolly heard angels, cherubs, and a string quartet too. 'money from home' as that midnight cowboy guy said.

Reaction Score

I've been to both. The original Pizzeria Regina in the North End is good, though nowhere near new Haven standards. The one is South Station is a step above Pizza Hut. I used to get McD's there instead because its the same quality as the other McD's and you're mot missing anything by going to a different one.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Has anyone had One 6 Three Pizza in New Haven. I'm throwing a party at East Rock Brewing and they deliver.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

To be fair, I kinda like the motto, "Come for the pizza, stay for the traffic."

Switching to MA, as far as Regina goes, the North End spot is certainly more than acceptable, as is Santarpio's. Let's face it, you're not getting the Holy Trinity outside NH, but there is decent pizza out there. When I lived in Quincy, Regina wasn't even the best. That was X/O in Quincy, which no longer exists, nor does the $5 bar pie at The Alumni, which satisfied the Colony fan in me.

Reaction Score
I've been to both. The original Pizzeria Regina in the North End is Good, though nowhere near new Haven stadnards. The one is South Station is a step above Pizza Hut.
I was going to say it reminded me of Sbarro pizza. But one step above Pizza Hut works too.

Reaction Score
To be fair, I kinda like the motto, "Come for the pizza, stay for the traffic."

Switching to MA, as far as Regina goes, the North End spot is certainly more than acceptable, as is Santarpio's. Let's face it, you're not getting the Holy Trinity outside NH, but there is decent pizza out there. When I lived in Quincy, Regina wasn't even the best. That was X/O in Quincy, which no longer exists, nor does the $5 bar pie at The Alumni, which satisfied the Colony fan in me.

So, true. Boston pizza is good pizza, just not New Haven level, which many of us here are spoiled on. Now, if one was from say Nebraska or Idaho, etc., they will likely think that a good Boston pie maybe the best thing ever.

Reaction Score
I was going to say it reminded me of Sbarro pizza. But one step above Pizza Hut works too.

Pizza Hut at least has a salad bar (dine-in) and now has Cinnabons.

Sbarro's is day-old pizza slices left-out at malls and highway rest stops that only calorie consuming, foolish risk-taking, and taste bud lacking teenager would consider.

PS - I went to Pizza Hut for the first time in maybe 20 years last summer outside of Cooperstown NY. It was after a late baseball game and the options were very limited at 10 PM limited unless we wanted to make the 30-minute drive to Oneonta. The only positive memories it brought back were of a bunch of high school kids like me working at one. They're not even smart enough to carry one of the dozens of local brews, such as
Ommegang. Don't need to go back for another 20 years, if I am lucky. We did have time another night and went to New York Pizza in downtown Cooperstown. That was good (not excellent), New York style bar pizza and they had a good beer selection available.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Has anyone had One 6 Three Pizza in New Haven. I'm throwing a party at East Rock Brewing and they deliver.
As with Next Door, One6Three is an outgrowth of a pizza truck enterprise, so it produces a thinner, smaller pie that therefore might not travel as well as others. Because of this, I've eaten there most times, but my one trip to the top of East Rock Park was a winner.

That said, it's a small place and does solid take-out for those who live nearby and now don't have to go 'as far' as Modern or Next Door. That's what gave me the confidence to go to the East Rock summit.

Delivery to East Rock Brewing is a popular combo, so it must work. If that's the case, then very good pizza, beer, and place to enjoy them both.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom