OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 171 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Withdrawing my endorsement of Mama Luke's on Rte 6 in Bristol. Our latest pizza there was a bland fiasco, and they committed the cardinal sin of trying to seat us at the worst table available. My wife and I have a zero-tolerance policy on that practice.

Reaction Score
Did take out from La Scarpetta in Old Lyme last night. Got a large White Clam pizza consisting of mozz, garlic, chopped clams, grape tomatoes, littlenecks, bacon and fresh herbs. Amazing, absolutely delicious. This place has only been open since last May or so so it's kind of still under the radar but I'll tell you that pizza was absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Did take out from La Scarpetta in Old Lyme last night. Got a large White Clam pizza consisting of mozz, garlic, chopped clams, grape tomatoes, littlenecks, bacon and fresh herbs. Amazing, absolutely delicious. This place has only been open since last May or so so it's kind of still under the radar but I'll tell you that pizza was absolutely fantastic.

You down in old Lyme now?

Reaction Score
Anyone here have Cheshire Pizza? Greek style but just recently had it and it's incredible. Good vibe and other great food there. I like their buffalo chicken pizza. Small town though, so not sure how many people have had it, curious.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Anyone here have Cheshire Pizza? Greek style but just recently had it and it's incredible. Good vibe and other great food there. I like their buffalo chicken pizza. Small town though, so not sure how many people have had it, curious.
It’s a solid pie if thats whats you’re into.

Reaction Score

Greek pizza can still taste delicious, but it's ceiling is a "B" in my opinion. There is something magical about the thin crust New Haven style pizzas that puts them in a league that the Greek pizzas will never be in, IMO.

Reaction Score
Greek pizza can still taste delicious, but it's ceiling is a "B" in my opinion. There is something magical about the thin crust New Haven style pizzas that puts them in a league that the Greek pizzas will never be in, IMO.
I am not a big pizza eater (maybe twice a year) but I prefer my crust to have a little more substance. It also needs onions and loaded with some form of hot peppers.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
IMO, the only use for corn meal when making pizza is perhaps to spinkle some on a stone to prevent the dough sticking. In the flour? Nfw.
And even that should be coarse ground semolina, not corn meal.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My wife's favorite pie is greek style, so I eat it more than I would if left to my own devices. Had one from Apollo tonight, as a matter of fact, as she was celebrating a good turn of medical events, and I wasn't going to turn off her good mood for the sake of a real pie. Not usual for there, but tonight, we got the thinnest crust I've ever had in a greek pizza place, and overall, I'd call it a strong B. Crust still too much like pastry, and the sauce still too sweet which are the things holding Greek pizza back from me ever giving it serious consideration, but overall, not a bad pizza substitute.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
And even that should be coarse ground semolina, not corn meal.

Traditionally, yes. However, I spent a half year doing demos of a countertop pizza appliance that had an internal stone and got to ~800F. For anything beyond a 2-minute Neopolitan style, a mix of coarse semolina and corn meal worked better than the semolina alone as it did not burn.

Reaction Score
My wife's favorite pie is greek style, so I eat it more than I would if left to my own devices. Had one from Apollo tonight, as a matter of fact, as she was celebrating a good turn of medical events, and I wasn't going to turn off her good mood for the sake of a real pie. Not usual for there, but tonight, we got the thinnest crust I've ever had in a greek pizza place, and overall, I'd call it a strong B. Crust still too much like pastry, and the sauce still too sweet which are the things holding Greek pizza back from me ever giving it serious consideration, but overall, not a bad pizza substitute.
Good news beats whatever food you celebrate with.

Reaction Score
Pizza dork says New Haven has the best pizza in the country.
Watch "Barstool Pizza Review - Square Pizza (Bonus Izzies Cheesesteak Review)" on YouTube

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Pizza dork says New Haven has the best pizza in the country.
Watch "Barstool Pizza Review - Square Pizza (Bonus Izzies Cheesesteak Review)" on YouTube

I think he is earlier in this thread critiquing a pizza. Maybe in Clinton or Branford?

Reaction Score

By the slice all of the time 30 years ago as it was right next door to the driver's training place my friends and I went to; but, I know it has been renovated and expanded upon since then. Some folks I know who still live there like it a lot. Thus, can't comment on how good it was as I was a teen boy playing sports and ate anything (I hit Pizza Hut a lot due to it's location, what the heck was I thinking!).

Reaction Score

>>The restaurant has begun serving a meatball and ricotta pizza, “crafted with 100% all natural meatballs, ricotta cheese, crushed Italian tomatoes, mozzarella, grated pecorino Romano and drizzled with olive oil,” according to a release.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom