OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 84 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sally's sold:

Iconic Sally’s Apizza in New Haven sold to unnamed buyer; Consiglios to stay on indefinitely

Ate there two months ago for the first time in maybe 10-15 years. Not a thing had changed, including terrible service (when they don't know you) and no frills. But damned if the pizza wasn't still excellent--and considerably better imo than the last time I was at Pepe's, last year sometime.

Sounds like no planned changes for a few months; will be interesting to see what happens from there, and whether the new owners try to open in other locations like Pepe's has done.

Reaction Score
A sales guy of mine had a lunch and learn training with a maintenance crew in the Manchester area this week so I went over to check things out. He brought in pizza for the crew and he ended up getting it at Pepe's in Manchester. It was nothing like a Pepe's pizza, even from there the last time I had it. They should have been ashamed of what they let go out that door. It was very thick, not very well done and the sauce was hard to find. The crust was nice, small and had that charcoal taste to it and their cheese mix was still there, but the look of the pizza and the overall taste was only a little better than our horrific WesMass pizza's up here.

They need to do a better job managing their name out there. I know we consider most of any restaurants locations other than the original to be less than expected but still decent. This was really not good for the name, although free food for maintenance guys, they didn't complain LOL

Reaction Score
Check out Brewport Pizza in Bridgeport, you certainly won't be disappointed. My wife's new favorite over Pepe's, Modern's (mine's still) and the other big boys:

o.jpg

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
At Modern as I type. We odered a pepperoni, sausage &, mushroom. It was pretty close to everyone's opinion above. Especially the sausage. However we are 45 minutes away.

Rossini's in East Hampton is a reasonable facsimile and only 1/2 mile down the road.

Roasted Red Pepper is an awesome topping Modern offers

willie99

Reaction Score
If you are in the neighborhood - give Inferno Pizza on Universal Drive in North Haven a go. New spot opened by a longtime New Haven area pizza virtuoso. Thin crust, New Haven style w/ right amount of char. White clam as good as any I’ve had anywhere else. Foxon Park served as a bonus.

Strip mall location w/ no trouble parking.

is their white clam a "whole belly white clam"? If so, I'm going to check that place out

Pepe's is the only place I ever found whole clam pizza

Reaction Score
Sally's sold:

Iconic Sally’s Apizza in New Haven sold to unnamed buyer; Consiglios to stay on indefinitely

Ate there two months ago for the first time in maybe 10-15 years. Not a thing had changed, including terrible service (when they don't know you) and no frills. But damned if the pizza wasn't still excellent--and considerably better imo than the last time I was at Pepe's, last year sometime.

Sounds like no planned changes for a few months; will be interesting to see what happens from there, and whether the new owners try to open in other locations like Pepe's has done.
If Sally's used the pepes model they would be the king of pizza in new haven. The service is awful

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Got a pie from Pizzeria Sassano in Glastonbury. Was really good for Hartford area pizza. Doesn't come close to New Haven area stuff, but it was pretty darn good.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Roasted Red Pepper is an awesome topping Modern offers

Disagree, Especially if you are talking about a peppers only pizza.

On that note, We went to the Plum Tomato in Colchester last night. I got the "Sammy The Bull" (Go-to sandwich), but we also ordered a TPT (mushrooms, onions, roasted red and green peppers, pepperoni, and sausage). Could have done without the roasted green peppers, but the underlying pizza was excellent. The fact that the green peppers were roasted made it edible, but green peppers in general taste awful and they contaminate.

Last edited:

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Sally's just sold it. New owners. Must of made a mint.

Reaction Score
Foxon Park soda is not a bonus, it is a minimum requirement. If you walk into a pizza place and they don't have Foxon Park, leave, immediately.

The presence of Foxon Park was actually how I knew my hunt for decent Hartford-area pizza ended at Naples 5 years ago.
Foxon or Averys

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sally's sold:

willie99

Reaction Score
Disagree, Especially if you are talking about a peppers only pizza.

On that note, We went to the Plum Tomato in Colchester last night. I got the "Sammy The Bull" (Go-to sandwich), but we also ordered a TPT (mushrooms, onions, roasted red and green peppers, pepperoni, and sausage). Could have done without the roasted green peppers, but the underlying pizza was excellent. The fact that the green peppers were roasted made it edible, but green peppers in general taste awful and they contaminate.

I'm not sure you read my post correctly, I said "Roasted RED Peppers". Green peppers on a pizza don't do anything for me either

willie99

Reaction Score
Don't know if I posted this already, but "New Haven Pizza" in Wolcott is pretty good. Love their sauce, and they have a couple of specialty pies that are pretty good like "Baked Stuffed Shrimp Pizza"

Seriously, it's good

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure you read my post correctly, I said "Roasted RED Peppers". Green peppers on a pizza don't do anything for me either
No, I read it correctly. I have no use for green peppers on anything. Roasting them merely them edible.

Red peppers have to be combined with a meat. There are people who enjoy them out of the jar or off the grill on their own. I am not one of those people.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No, I read it correctly. I have no use for green peppers on anything. Roasting them merely them edible.

Red peppers have to be combined with a meat. There are people who enjoy them out of the jar or off the grill on their own. I am not one of those people.
I do not like roasted red peppers here or there; I do not like them anywhere. It's a texture thing with me.

In terms of Modern veggie pies, a red pie with artichoke hearts, eggplant and light mozz ("well done") has been our go-to for 25+ years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
is their white clam a "whole belly white clam"? If so, I'm going to check that place out

Pepe's is the only place I ever found whole clam pizza
Willie,
One of us is confused. Round clams are used in clam pizza. The better places use fresh, whole clams.

Whole belly clams usually refers to steamer clams which are used to make fried clams. I have never seen them on a pizza.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
The Nuzzo kids, Fred and Rosemarie's children, are carrying on the Grand Apizza (Fair Haven) tradition in a bunch of places -- Grand Apizza Bethany; Grand Apizza Shoreline in Clinton; Apizza Heaven in Sedona, Arizona; Apizza Grande in North Haven; and Apizza Grande East Haven . I tried the meat pie there in East Haven and it's the real deal.

Reaction Score
While not a contender for Best in CT, LaSalle Market in Collinsville makes some nice speciality slices. Definitely worth a try at lunchtime if you are in that area.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Nuzzo kids, Fred and Rosemarie's children, are carrying on the Grand Apizza (Fair Haven) tradition in a bunch of places -- Grand Apizza Bethany; Grand Apizza Shoreline in Clinton; Apizza Heaven in Sedona, Arizona; Apizza Grande in North Haven; and Apizza Grande East Haven . I tried the meat pie there in East Haven and it's the real deal.
The one in Clinton has been there for decades, and they opened one in Madison a few years ago, and one in Guilford last year.

It is decent "almost New Haven" pizza, just like the original in Fair Haven. We get pizza from the Madison one frequently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom