OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 82 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You've never had the spooker from verdolinis in Meriden? Best pizza ever. They closed in 92. The recipe died with them until Randy Wooster street unearthed it.

I lived smack dab between Arthur Ave & Wooster St. Colony was 8 minutes away. I could walk to Amore. Why on earth would I have gone to Meriden for a pizza?

You seem to be a toppings guy. I'm all about the crust.

You enjoying those Arby's pizza sliders?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I lived smack dab between Arthur Ave & Wooster St. Colony was 8 minutes away. I could walk to Amore. Why on earth would I have gone to Meriden for a pizza?

You seem to be a toppings guy. I'm all about the crust.

You enjoying those Arby's pizza sliders?

Verdolinis/ little rendezvous oldest coal oven in state your CT pizza knowledge is lacking

Reaction Score
Working in New Haven now, really spoiled by my options. Still feel Da Lenga is right up there with Modern, Pepe's, Sally's, and etc.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Verdolinis/ little rendezvous oldest coal oven in state your CT pizza knowledge is lacking

I don't really care that I missed out on that. Most of you kind folks up that way considered us not "real" CT anyway.

Reaction Score

You and Deep are catching on AW, I can feel the love of Meriden's tradition such as the Spooker. My sister brought it up the other day and I almost laughed my ass off, hadn't heard it anywhere but here in years. Not a Wooster St pizza guy but if I had one in Western Mass it would be like having one of the New Haven spots in comparison to what we have up here. No clue here whatsoever.

I will say I agree with storrsroars on the fact a good crust can do wonders even for crappy pizza. On occasion a Greek style place will at least get that part right.

Reaction Score
Working in New Haven now, really spoiled by my options. Still feel Da Lenga is right up there with Modern, Pepe's, Sally's, and etc.
De Legna is good but not what I would consider "traditional" New Haven Pizza and not as good as the big 3. Great place though the staff is fantastic

Reaction Score
UConn, Yankees, Giants yes but this is where we part ways.

You like living creatures on your "pizza" too? Damn there's some whacko's here besides AW and Deep?

Reaction Score
You like living creatures on your "pizza" too? Damn there's some whacko's here besides AW and Deep?
See below this could be a reason you're so miserable :)
Clams
Here’s a great reason to chow down at the clambake: Clams are packed with vitamin B12; low levels of that vitamin can lead to depression, as the brain needs B12 to make dopamine and serotonin. Depressed people who had low levels of B12 (and were taking antidepressants) felt much better 3 months after adding a B12 supplement. Bonus: even canned clams, including those in chowder, offer a B12 boost.

Reaction Score
See below this could be a reason you're so miserable :)
Clams
Here’s a great reason to chow down at the clambake: Clams are packed with vitamin B12; low levels of that vitamin can lead to depression, as the brain needs B12 to make dopamine and serotonin. Depressed people who had low levels of B12 (and were taking antidepressants) felt much better 3 months after adding a B12 supplement. Bonus: even canned clams, including those in chowder, offer a B12 boost.

Lots of dopamine on this board but I'm good without it. And depression, that ain't me you should be though without having ever dug into a Spooker! And I get that, you'll be ok.

Reaction Score
26gGJRN.jpg

Went to high school with Randy's brother Bob. Randy was 2 years behind us. He was a 16 year old that drove a 59 Vette to school with a beer tap built in the trunk spare tire well.
Had a Pizza at his Manchester store about 3-4 years ago, it was OK but nothing great.

Mau would order one just to save the receipt that said "Large Spooker" (Sorry Kev) :)

Reaction Score
Pepe's clam pizza is one of the best pizzas I have ever had. I wonder how many of you are even a little Italian.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone ever been to Est Est Est in New Haven? They've been there for as long as I can remember and I must have passed it literally hundreds of times, but never set foot inside. We hired their pizza truck for my daughter's graduation party and it was excellent--totally legit wood-fired, brick oven New Haven pizza. Huge hit. Will definitely be stopping in to the place to see if the pizza there is as good as their truck.

Reaction Score
Anyone ever been to Est Est Est in New Haven? They've been there for as long as I can remember and I must have passed it literally hundreds of times, but never set foot inside. We hired their pizza truck for my daughter's graduation party and it was excellent--totally legit wood-fired, brick oven New Haven pizza. Huge hit. Will definitely be stopping in to the place to see if the pizza there is as good as their truck.

Consistently solid pizza ... been there since early 70's w/ a heavy Yale crowd obviously. Parking can be tough but I've never had bad food there - eggplant parm grinder is a winner as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Consistently solid pizza ... been there since early 70's w/ a heavy Yale crowd obviously. Parking can be tough but I've never had bad food there - eggplant parm grinder is a winner as well.
Yeah in my mind I had it pegged as a place for under-aged Yalies to get served. Good to know it has been consistently solid for food. Funny, they proudly boast about being a "top ten" New Haven pizza restaurant, which underscores the point that the tenth best New Haven pizza is still better than 99% of the pizza on the planet.

Also good to know about the eggplant, and consistent with the fact that the surprise winner of the night for me and several others with their eggplant, sausage and red pepper pie. I'm pretty particular about eggplant--hate it when it's mushy--but when it's done well it is among my favorite pizza toppings. Eggplant, artichoke and light mozz on a red pie is probably my most frequent Modern pie, so I will try the same at Est.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
8893, It's good insurance.

That way if Modern is closed for the night, Sally's goes out of business, Pepe's is too crowded and BAR is shut down, you'll still have a place to pick up a pie in New Haven! Being prepared.

Reaction Score
Pepe's clam pizza is one of the best pizzas I have ever had. I wonder how many of you are even a little Italian.

I love Pepe's white clam pizza, but the one I had last Friday was extremely dry, and for $29 a little disappointing. I will just view it as an off day and hope that the next one is as great as I have come to expect there.

Reaction Score
Interesting read: A New Haven Boy Meets Big-City Pizza | New Haven Independent

Compares NYC and New Haven

>>If I had to make a top 10 list of all the pizza I ate, it would be the following: 1. Di Fara 2. Sally’s Apizza 3. Lucali 4. Frank Pepe Pizzeria 5. John’s of Bleeker St. 6. Paulie Gee’s 7. Emily 8. Prince St. Pizza 9. Modern Apizza 10. Lombardi’s Coal Oven Pizza.<<

>>I also realize there are plenty of other great pizza places out there in New York and New Haven I have not had and fully reviewed in my Instagram (Zuppardi’s, Gramaldi’s, Robertas, L&B Spumoni Gardens, Totonno’s, Joe and Pat’s to name a few)...<<

Reaction Score
Interesting read: A New Haven Boy Meets Big-City Pizza | New Haven Independent

Compares NYC and New Haven

>>If I had to make a top 10 list of all the pizza I ate, it would be the following: 1. Di Fara 2. Sally’s Apizza 3. Lucali 4. Frank Pepe Pizzeria 5. John’s of Bleeker St. 6. Paulie Gee’s 7. Emily 8. Prince St. Pizza 9. Modern Apizza 10. Lombardi’s Coal Oven Pizza.<<

>>I also realize there are plenty of other great pizza places out there in New York and New Haven I have not had and fully reviewed in my Instagram (Zuppardi’s, Gramaldi’s, Robertas, L&B Spumoni Gardens, Totonno’s, Joe and Pat’s to name a few)...<<

Last week in New Haven we went to Sally's and it was excellent, and I finally got to Zuppardi's in-season for the fresh-shucked clam pizza. One of the best pizzas I've ever had. Certainly better than Pepe's version. And I'm a Pepe's fan.

Reaction Score
I love Pepe's white clam pizza, but the one I had last Friday was extremely dry, and for $29 a little disappointing. I will just view it as an off day and hope that the next one is as great as I have come to expect there.
Was it burnt? I'm not one of those that likes their burned crust.

Reaction Score
I finally tried the hot oil pizza at Colony Grill in Fairfield. Really an odd/unique pizza. Super thin, really tasty and good heat/spice. Not at all a traditional pie in many regards, but I can see the following for it, for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom