OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 80 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Been to the Mews a bunch of times. Kids got the pizza one of the times and I had a slice and remember it being surprisingly decent. Crazy huge place and menu.

Reaction Score
OT on CT Pizza but my wife and I went to a great tavern in the middle of Wakefield RI last night, Mew's and they have a couple bars, one of which is a pizza bar. Cool place lots of beer selection, has a tree in the middle of the place and a separate tavern which I didn't see this time around. Anyway back to the pizza - solid pizza good sauce, they crisp their pepperoni to slightly burnt, the mushrooms are fully cooked and the "Mew's 3 cheese topping is excellent. Crispy, again slightly burnt but flavorful crust and bottom - really good choice we made. I had a small with the above and my wife had a salmon dinner which she was was terrific. Great place, ambiance but as far as the pizza unexpectedly wonderful!

In my bar at a past house I had their "Got beer/need beer" sign up. Great spot.

Reaction Score
Had my first Pepe's Clam Pie Thursday (WH). Unimpressed (although my toilet was impressed with the number of flushes the next morning- ugh).
Like red sauce pizzas better.

Reaction Score
Had my first Pepe's Clam Pie Thursday (WH). Unimpressed (although my toilet was impressed with the number of flushes the next morning- ugh).

If you're a red sauce guy I'm impressed (kinda) you'd even try that thing they dare to call "pizza"...clams and pizza are like Deepster and Arby's.

Reaction Score
If you're a red sauce guy I'm impressed (kinda) you'd even try that thing they dare to call "pizza"...clams and pizza are like Deepster and Arby's.

The white clam with bacon is my favorite pizza of all time. My question for VanCat is, did you eat in or take out? Pepe's isn't a takeout pie. The window of that crusts perfection doesn't hold up to 20 minutes in a steamy cardboard box.

Reaction Score
The white clam with bacon is my favorite pizza of all time. My question for VanCat is, did you eat in or take out? Pepe's isn't a takeout pie. The window of that crusts perfection doesn't hold up to 20 minutes in a steamy cardboard box.

Number one white sauces aren't pizza and two clams have no right to invade such a wonderful thing as pizza.

It's an open faced dough or calzone at that point, not a pizza. Seafood calzone. I really don't care what Pepe's calls it they're wrong. :eek:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Number one white sauces aren't pizza and two clams have no right to invade such a wonderful thing as pizza.

It's an open faced dough or calzone at that point, not a pizza. Seafood calzone. I really don't care what Pepe's calls it they're wrong. :eek:

Thats wrong on so many levels I dont even know where to begin. Youre lucky I like you mau or Id drop the famed Adub hammer on you.

Reaction Score
Thats wrong on so many levels I dont even know where to begin. Youre lucky I like you mau or Id drop the famed Adub hammer on you.

You too huh AW? I am disappointed but also like and respect you so go ahead and ruin your calzone all you want. If you throw the clams on red sauce maybe, but geez it's just not pizza man!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Somebody's never been to Italy.

Now, if you want to talk buffalo chicken, ranch, pineapple, taco meat, cheddar cheese or any other absurd toppings, I'm with you. But vongoles are definitely a legit topping, as is a pizza bianca.

Reaction Score
Ate in. My friend warned me the clam pie would 'lose heat quickly'. It was hot for the first couple pieces.

Reaction Score
It tasted good, but not better than their pepperoni. And my system did not like it at all.

Reaction Score

Real men eat the clam...pizza!!!

Reaction Score
This guy says Sally's is the best.

New England's 38 Essential Restaurants

Sally’s Apizza
New Haven, Connecticut
WHAT: The finest among New Haven’s legendary pizzerias, hands down. WHY: You might disagree with my pronouncement; some of the other writers involved in this project likely do, too. But twice now for Eater I’ve powered through the town’s stellar pies for comparison’s sake, and both times I’ve reached the same conclusion: The tang of the tomato sauce, the powdery char of the crust, and the light hand with quality toppings are all superior at Sally’s. Order the tomato pie with garlic and no cheese (other than a dusting of pecorino Romano) to know pizza divinity. The place is dim and spare and open only for dinner; you’ll receive efficient but gruff service from staffers who sport mailman-style shorts year round. The archetype of the Italian-American pizzeria, it’s a national treasure.

Reaction Score
You're not the first one to get sick on a Pepe's clam pie. Zuppardis makes a better clam pie. Deepster is right though, the pizza's always better if you eat it there. If your drive is more than 10 min, eat it there.

Reaction Score
This guy says Sally's is the best.

New England's 38 Essential Restaurants

Sally’s Apizza
New Haven, Connecticut
WHAT: The finest among New Haven’s legendary pizzerias, hands down. WHY: You might disagree with my pronouncement; some of the other writers involved in this project likely do, too. But twice now for Eater I’ve powered through the town’s stellar pies for comparison’s sake, and both times I’ve reached the same conclusion: The tang of the tomato sauce, the powdery char of the crust, and the light hand with quality toppings are all superior at Sally’s. Order the tomato pie with garlic and no cheese (other than a dusting of pecorino Romano) to know pizza divinity. The place is dim and spare and open only for dinner; you’ll receive efficient but gruff service from staffers who sport mailman-style shorts year round. The archetype of the Italian-American pizzeria, it’s a national treasure.

Modern no doubt, but all are good! And no freakin clams.

Reaction Score
You're not the first one to get sick on a Pepe's clam pie. Zuppardis makes a better clam pie. Deepster is right though, the pizza's always better if you eat it there. If your drive is more than 10 min, eat it there.
I think I'm done with clam pies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there because you CT guys really don't know how good you have it.

On Sunday, I took part in a pizza judging contest featuring 16 pies from the Pittsburgh metro, including well-known indies, regional chains, a national chain and a store-bought pizza.

Here is the epic thread, in which a Costco pizza took 2nd place, the recently awarded "Best Pizza in PA" finished in the middle, and a local icon finished last.

fwiw, I am sskink in this thread. Skip the first 10 replies as they're about ice cream, because reddit.

Reaction Score
I've had Pepe's white clam pies from New Haven and West Hartford that were both unbelievable. It's not something I would order all the time but once a year or so it can be fantastic.

Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there because you CT guys really don't know how good you have it.

On Sunday, I took part in a pizza judging contest featuring 16 pies from the Pittsburgh metro, including well-known indies, regional chains, a national chain and a store-bought pizza.

Here is the epic thread, in which a Costco pizza took 2nd place, the recently awarded "Best Pizza in PA" finished in the middle, and a local icon finished last.

fwiw, I am sskink in this thread. Skip the first 10 replies as they're about ice cream, because reddit.

Yeah, I've lived in DC for 4 years now. The pizza here is just...sad. I didn't know how good I had it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, I've lived in DC for 4 years now. The pizza here is just...sad. I didn't know how good I had it.
We ate at We, the Pizza and Graffiato in DC a few years ago and enjoyed both. We the Pizza is more NYC style, and more of a slice place with tons of options. I got antipasti and pasta at Graffiato but the kids got pizza and I tried it and thought it was decent.

Reaction Score
We ate at We, the Pizza and Graffiato in DC a few years ago and enjoyed both. We the Pizza is more NYC style, and more of a slice place with tons of options. I got antipasti and pasta at Graffiato but the kids got pizza and I tried it and thought it was decent.

I can't say I've been to Graffiato, but I live close to We, the Pizza and it is fine. It's not really that quality pizza doesn't exist in DC, it's the quality pizza per capita that is the issue. It's funny, there are actually restaurants in DC that advertise themselves as "New Haven Style Pizza" (the fact that they call it "pizza" should be a warning sign to all..)

I apologize if this has been posted previously here, but I think this does a good job making my point:

The Pizza Belt: the Most Important Pizza Theory You'll Read

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I can't say I've been to Graffiato, but I live close to We, the Pizza and it is fine. It's not really that quality pizza doesn't exist in DC, it's the quality pizza per capita that is the issue. It's funny, there are actually restaurants in DC that advertise themselves as "New Haven Style Pizza" (the fact that they call it "pizza" should be a warning sign to all..)

I apologize if this has been posted previously here, but I think this does a good job making my point:

The Pizza Belt: the Most Important Pizza Theory You'll Read
It should not include RI

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom