OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 81 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
This guy says Sally's is the best.

New England's 38 Essential Restaurants

Sally’s Apizza
New Haven, Connecticut
WHAT: The finest among New Haven’s legendary pizzerias, hands down. WHY: You might disagree with my pronouncement; some of the other writers involved in this project likely do, too. But twice now for Eater I’ve powered through the town’s stellar pies for comparison’s sake, and both times I’ve reached the same conclusion: The tang of the tomato sauce, the powdery char of the crust, and the light hand with quality toppings are all superior at Sally’s. Order the tomato pie with garlic and no cheese (other than a dusting of pecorino Romano) to know pizza divinity. The place is dim and spare and open only for dinner; you’ll receive efficient but gruff service from staffers who sport mailman-style shorts year round. The archetype of the Italian-American pizzeria, it’s a national treasure.

I agree. Best sauce, great toppings.

...But... inconsistent. Sometimes way overcharred.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I've lived in DC for 4 years now. The pizza here is just...sad. I didn't know how good I had it.

Just so everyone understands, here is a picture of a "pizza" from Pete's New Haven here in DC

Attachments

• IMG_3176.JPG
    IMG_3176.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 72
Reaction Score
I use to call Sally's the best but they are way too inconsistent over the past few years. Modern is the best imo now.

As far as white pizza it's still pizza but not something I enjoy often. Although I do enjoy a slice or 2 every now and then of broccoli and garlic

Reaction Score
If you're a red sauce guy I'm impressed (kinda) you'd even try that thing they dare to call "pizza"...clams and pizza are like Deepster and Arby's.
UConn, Yankees, Giants yes but this is where we part ways.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A man knows to ask for pork sausage

But it appears the Spooker is chicken sausage. If that joint had any integrity, they wouldn't allow substitutions on a signature dish, right?

However, it's obvious by its name it doesn't have integrity.

Anyway, plenty of better choices out your way. I assume that place has ranch dipping sauce. Maybe even sriracha.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
But it appears the Spooker is chicken sausage. If that joint had any integrity, they wouldn't allow substitutions on a signature dish, right?

However, it's obvious by its name it doesn't have integrity.

Anyway, plenty of better choices out your way. I assume that place has ranch dipping sauce. Maybe even sriracha.

It doesn't matter. They have the spooker.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This is a mau thing, right? Same guy who turns his nose up at a Pepe's clam pie?

He can have ALL the Spookers.

You've never had the spooker from verdolinis in Meriden? Best pizza ever. They closed in 92. The recipe died with them until Randy Wooster street unearthed it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom