OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 86 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No respect for Pittsburgh once again. Cripes, we have a James Beard chef making pizza here and one of the D.O.C. Neopolitan joints in the US. And fwiw, the pizzaiolo at Keste started in Pittsburgh. All 4 PA places on the list are Philly. Screw them.
But isn’t being disrespected part of what makes a yinzer a yinzer?

Reaction Score
No respect for Pittsburgh once again. Cripes, we have a James Beard chef making pizza here and one of the D.O.C. Neopolitan joints in the US. And fwiw, the pizzaiolo at Keste started in Pittsburgh. All 4 PA places on the list are Philly. Screw them.

I think it's the very idea of a chef making pizza that disqualifies them.

A local place here in Buffalo makes great personal pizzas but I still say Buffalo pizza sucks. If it's gourmet, it's not pizza!!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think it's the very idea of a chef making pizza that disqualifies them.

A local place here in Buffalo makes great personal pizzas but I still say Buffalo pizza sucks. If it's gourmet, it's not pizza!!!

Not on that list though. Lots of frou-frou pizza on there.

Generally I agree with you though.

Reaction Score
I used to love Pepe's years ago, used to go there a lot when I was younger, and have been there maybe once a year in recent years. My take now is it has lost something in the crust and the sauce and flavor over the years. Someone told me they went to a cheaper olive oil several years ago, but who knows. Back in the old days I thought "The Spot" made a better pie than the restaurant.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I would rate both Zuppardis and Modern's sausage pie the best, but if I had to choose it would be Zuppardis. They also make a much better whole clam pie than Pep's. When you go to Modern though order a light bake.
Recently moved to fairly close to Zuppardis. My wife comes from West Haven and at her parent’s we had Zuppardis sometimes. Back then I hated it. Very salty. But I tried it since we moved to the area and it’s changed. Quite good. I always liked Pepe’s but haven’t been since they expanded

My favorite all time is long gone. Gozzo’s on Blue Hills Ave. in Bloomfield just beyond the Hartford line was great. As a kid my family took out from there a lot and through hs my friends and I could gorge ourselves on the everything pizza minus anchovies.

Reaction Score
Recently moved to fairly close to Zuppardis. My wife comes from West Haven and at her parent’s we had Zuppardis sometimes. Back then I hated it. Very salty. But I tried it since we moved to the area and it’s changed. Quite good. I always liked Pepe’s but haven’t been since they expanded

My favorite all time is long gone. Gozzo’s on Blue Hills Ave. in Bloomfield just beyond the Hartford line was great. As a kid my family took out from there a lot and through hs my friends and I could gorge ourselves on the everything pizza minus anchovies.
My favorite all time was Joe's Apizza in Fairfield on Tunxis Hill Rd many years ago. Think it closed down in the 1970's after Joe passed away. Very similar to Zuppardis, his daughter told me years ago that her family had been approached many times about selling Joe's recipe after he died.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If we're bringing up defunct places, my parent's house was up the hill from Amore in Stamford (winner of the Stamford Pizza Tour). I could walk excellent pizza home.

Reaction Score
In the northwest corner, that means, from Torrington, north and west. 1) Deano's Pizza in Lakeville, a thin-crust Brooklyn style pie. Great specialty pies. Lasagna pie, buffalo chicken pie and sweet chili chicken pies are very good. 2) The Berkshire Café in Torrington 3) Roma's in Torrington 4) Bohemian Pizza in Litchfield 5) Kent Pizza in Winsted

Reaction Score
I would like to reopen it.

We had a double header of disappointing pizza experiences in New Haven recently. Went to Modern on the 26th and had their Italian Bomb. It was more like an Italian firecracker--skimpy.

Went to Pepe's on the 28th. Oh boy--worst Pepe's ever. And Pepe's is typically my favorite. BUT, thick bread, uncooked dough, globby in places, and the endcrust completely separated from the slice when you went to pick it up! We couldn't figure out if we were at Pepe's or some place in Indiana. And the place was teeming with tourists. Maybe the only excuse they had was that the computers were down and so they had trouble keeping track of orders?

Sally's has never disappointed us this way. And Zuppardi's is a new and recent favorite when we're in town. This is bad news for myself and my oldest daughter, because we are the Pepe's fans in the family. We are now going to lose the argument and head over to Sally's and Zuppardi's more frequently.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I believe the Best Pizza debate is now closed. Sir Patrick Stewart says it's Pepe's.
Well at least he got the right pie there, and I'm glad to see that he got a good one. Based on my most recent experience there with a clam pie, I would venture that his celebrity status made sure that they were going to deal him a good one, which they are clearly capable of doing.

But the guy has so many things going against his proclamation. First, he's a Brit. Second, he only had pizza for the first time five years ago! How this is even possible is beyond me. Third, he doesn't generally like Neapolitan style apizza. Finally, you can't declare the debate closed when he didn't try Sally's, Modern and BAR, for starters, to compare.

And I still say Bufalina is better and more consistent than all of them, but I know some disagree that it's apples to apples.

Reaction Score
I would like to reopen it.

We had a double header of disappointing pizza experiences in New Haven recently. Went to Modern on the 26th and had their Italian Bomb. It was more like an Italian firecracker--skimpy.

Went to Pepe's on the 28th. Oh boy--worst Pepe's ever. And Pepe's is typically my favorite. BUT, thick bread, uncooked dough, globby in places, and the endcrust completely separated from the slice when you went to pick it up! We couldn't figure out if we were at Pepe's or some place in Indiana. And the place was teeming with tourists. Maybe the only excuse they had was that the computers were down and so they had trouble keeping track of orders?

Sally's has never disappointed us this way. And Zuppardi's is a new and recent favorite when we're in town. This is bad news for myself and my oldest daughter, because we are the Pepe's fans in the family. We are now going to lose the argument and head over to Sally's and Zuppardi's more frequently.
Zuppardis has always been my favorite, always get the sausage and mushroom when I go there. Pepe's has definitely lost a notch or two over the past 20 years IMO. Back in the 80's when Pepe's was still really good, I used go to the "Spot" in back of the restaurant and stayed away from the restaurant pie. The Spot was always better IMO, the oven in the "Spot" made for nicer crust.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Spot was always better IMO, the oven in the "Spot" made for nicer crust.
IIRC that is the original oven.

Someone told me recently that they rented out The Spot for their daughter's rehearsal dinner and it was a huge hit, not surprisingly. Apparently they even let the guests make pizzas when you do that, which would be pretty cool. Also unsurprisingly, it wasn't cheap.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Anyone been to Minervini's in Wallingord? Was there around the holidays and quite honestly was one of the best pies I've ever had.

(Had to post on pizza to avoid the boredom of this ecu game)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom