OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 85 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Willie,
One of us is confused. Round clams are used in clam pizza. The better places use fresh, whole clams.

Whole belly clams usually refers to steamer clams which are used to make fried clams. I have never seen them on a pizza.
Most places use chopped clams. Probably from a can. Pepe’s uses fresh whole clams. Zuppardis offers both options.

Reaction Score
Check out Brewport Pizza in Bridgeport, you certainly won't be disappointed. My wife's new favorite over Pepe's, Modern's (mine's still) and the other big boys:

o.jpg

I think it really pales in comparison to the pizza at Bar in New Haven, which it is clearly modeled after.

Reaction Score
I think it really pales in comparison to the pizza at Bar in New Haven, which it is clearly modeled after.
To me nothing compares to New Haven, although there is some great pizza in NYC. NYC crust is not burnt they way I like it, but still tasty. For some reason 2 slices fill you up down there. I will say they have the best 'Reds' I've ever tasted.

Anyway, New Haven substitutes are always welcome in my book. The Brewport pizza is damn good, check it out if you can and let me know what you think.

Reaction Score
I do not like roasted red peppers here or there; I do not like them anywhere. It's a texture thing with me.

In terms of Modern veggie pies, a red pie with artichoke hearts, eggplant and light mozz ("well done") has been our go-to for 25+ years.
Gotta get sausage on a pie at Modern. They have the best sausage pies I've ever had.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Don't know if I posted this already, but "New Haven Pizza" in Wolcott is pretty good. Love their sauce, and they have a couple of specialty pies that are pretty good like "Baked Stuffed Shrimp Pizza"

Seriously, it's good

I know the owners very well. Great pizza and super nice people.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
To me nothing compares to New Haven, although there is some great pizza in NYC. NYC crust is not burnt they way I like it, but still tasty. For some reason 2 slices fill you up down there. I will say they have the best 'Reds' I've ever tasted.

Anyway, New Haven substitutes are always welcome in my book. The Brewport pizza is damn good, check it out if you can and let me know what you think.
If pizza is burnt, they are doing it wrong. The crust should have some char to it, but not be burnt.

Reaction Score
Very thin, generous with the toppings, home made sauce, local or homemade cheese, baked in a wood or brick oven. If you have that, you have my interest. Anything other than that is just not worth it IMO unless you are having a gameday with beers with the buddies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
While not a contender for Best in CT, LaSalle Market in Collinsville makes some nice speciality slices. Definitely worth a try at lunchtime if you are in that area.
Solid but their pastrami and swiss is where it's at.

Reaction Score
I go the other way (pizza only) and will take a Chicago deep dish pan pizza over any of the meager thin crust pizzas. Never had a good one in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I go the other way (pizza only) and will take a Chicago deep dish pan pizza over any of the meager thin crust pizzas. Never had a good one in Connecticut.
You'e an outlier. Some of the places out here are decent but it's not really pizza, the one place that does New Haven style is the best pizza in the city. The other best is Pequod's which does pan.

Reaction Score
I used to go to Gino's in Chicago because it was convenient to my hotel and it was great but I'm told there are others better. It tasted like pizza to me.

Reaction Score
Those of you that like sausage on a pizza should try Zuppardi's. They make the sausage there.
I would rate both Zuppardis and Modern's sausage pie the best, but if I had to choose it would be Zuppardis. They also make a much better whole clam pie than Pep's. When you go to Modern though order a light bake.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Most places use chopped clams. Probably from a can. Pepe’s uses fresh whole clams. Zuppardis offers both options.
Understood, though I don't know why anyone would choose canned clams.

My point is about the difference between round clams and steamer clams. I've never seen steamer clams (whole-belly or strips) used in pizza.

Reaction Score
Understood, though I don't know why anyone would choose canned clams.

My point is about the difference between round clams and steamer clams. I've never seen steamer clams (whole-belly or strips) used in pizza.

Difference is $15 for canned clams and $25 for shucked.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I would rate both Zuppardis and Modern's sausage pie the best, but if I had to choose it would be Zuppardis. They also make a much better whole clam pie than Pep's. When you go to Modern though order a light bake.
Disagree. I went to Zuppardi's and thought it was pretty good but nothing special. Modern uses Lamberti's suasage which is better than the homemade stuff Zuppardi's makes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone been to Ernie's? I can't recall anyone here touting the place.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Anyone been to Ernie's? I can't recall anyone here touting the place.
I want to go there. Haven't been yet. Saw them on the Pizza Show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom