OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 87 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Totally agree with that.

Funny I just saw a colleague at lunch who was saying that Charley's Place, the cafeteria at the Yale School of Management (which is also the best lunch value in New Haven), makes good pizza in their wood fired oven once a week. I told him that pizza is one of the foods I have to limit--probably twice a month on average now--but I love it so much that I try to make sure it's only great pizza when I have it.

Cheese is the other one, and I've been much less successful limiting that of late, as it seems everyone has been bringing amazing cheese to our house--or serving it at theirs--for every gathering the past month. It's basically a salt lick for me; I will sit there and plow through it until it's gone.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Cheese is the other one, and I've been much less successful limiting that of late, as it seems everyone has been bringing amazing cheeses to our house--or serving it at theirs--for every gathering the past month. It's basically a salt lick for me; I will sit there and plow through it until it's gone.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder, don't forget Sergio's in Hamden!

That was our regular spot when I was a kid, when it was in the small house next to the current place. I loved it back then, had it a few times in the last 5-10 years when I'm visiting my folks and it's as average as it gets these days IMO.

Reaction Score
That was our regular spot when I was a kid, when it was in the small house next to the current place. I loved it back then, had it a few times in the last 5-10 years when I'm visiting my folks and it's as average as it gets these days IMO.
Sure, it isn't at the level of the icons but it is still good. And the rest of the food is good too. I don't know where you live but, in my area, this would be the best pizza around. The best pizza here is awful by CT standards. Average is relative.

Reaction Score
Funny I just saw a colleague at lunch who was saying that Charley's Place, the cafeteria at the Yale School of Management (which is also the best lunch value in New Haven), makes good pizza in their wood fired oven once a week.

??! My father used to own a luncheonette called Charlie's Place at the corner of Whitney, Grove and Church Street, and our two biggest sources of customers were the courthouse and the Yale School of Management! Hmmmmm.... The Management building is one block and a half away from where the old Century Building once stood on that corner.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
??! My father used to own a luncheonette called Charlie's Place at the corner of Whitney, Grove and Church Street, and our two biggest sources of customers were the courthouse and the Yale School of Management! Hmmmmm.... The Management building is one block and a half away from where the old Century Building once stood on that corner.
Interesting. Didn't know that. Is that where One Century T0wer now sits? I believe I was told Malone's was also there at one time.

Anywho, the cafeteria is obviously heavily subsidized by Yale, which is why it is such a great deal.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Didn't know that. Is that where One Century T0wer now sits? I believe I was told Malone's was also there at one time.

Anywho, the cafeteria is obviously heavily subsidized by Yale, which is why it is such a great deal.

Yes, my Dad's place was right over Malone's.

I used to go down to Malone's on break and play Centipede as a teen. Still remember the smell of cigars and spilled whiskey. That was a pretty sloppy place.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Planet Fitness has free pizza on the first Monday of every month. Seems it’s popular with a lot of the members but it’s pretty much the last place I can ever imagine spending my pizza chits.

Reaction Score
Other than the big 4 Pepe’s/Sally’s/Modern and Bar. There are some others in the New Haven area that are very good. DaLegna, Ernie’s, One 6 Three in New Haven. Roseland in Derby, Tolli’s in East Haven.

I live in Milford, Papa’s, Jimmy’s, GiGi’s are very good. Not Wooster street quality, but very good. Not a huge fan of Colony, but it gets good reviews and it has a great atmosphere.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We have it so good in CT. Real good pizza all over. I could name a dozen places that are capable of a solid "A".
The 5th best place in Glastonbury would be the best in RI.

Pizza and Wings are stellar in CT.
And lobster rolls.

Reaction Score
Hey yous, late night Friday post:

We all know that New Haven style apizza is the best.

But, what about Hartford? In my opinion, Hartford can make a good pie (if not New Haven quality). What are some your favorite Hartford area pizza places?

First and Last is my favorite. What say you?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

But, what Hartford? In my opinion, Hartford can make a good pie (if not New Haven quality). What are some your favorite Hartford area pizza places?

I start with the original First and Last. What say you?
Had the Carbonara pizza last night at the new Pizzeria Sassano in So. Glastonbury. Excellent.

Reaction Score
Had the Carbonara pizza last night at the new Pizzeria Sassano in So. Glastonbury. Excellent.

Sassano in South Glastonbury is very good. Amazingly, there are at least a handful of others in Glastonbury that make very good to excellent pizza of varying types. Harry's, Giovanni's, Angelo's, and Luna are all very good. No shortage of good options is Glastonbury, but none that are New Haven level.

Reaction Score

But, what Hartford? In my opinion, Hartford can make a good pie (if not New Haven quality). What are some your favorite Hartford area pizza places?

I start with the original First and Last. What say you?

Chimirri in Wethersfield makes a delicious bakery style, thick Sicilian.

I always liked Village Pizza in Old Wethersfield, although I haven't had it in many, many years.

Reaction Score
I'm somewhat of a pizza snob. I can't eat borderline good pizza. Needs to be outstanding. With that said, I strongly recommend Procaccini's for their pizza and shredded salad. It's a small family restaurant on Main St in East Hartford near the Glastonbury line. You won't be sorry! Also, you might want to check out Mulberry Street Pizza on Main St. in Manchester, and First and Last in Hartford on Maple Avenue.

Reaction Score

But, what about Hartford? In my opinion, Hartford can make a good pie (if not New Haven quality). What are some your favorite Hartford area pizza places?

First and Last is my favorite. What say you?

Lunas in West Hartford and Simsbury

Harry’s in West Hartford

Naples in Farmington

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Willie's was my favorite in town pizza growing up in East Haven (Staven).
Haven't been there in years. If I was going to travel to get pizza, I would continue on to New Haven. But East and West Haven always had good pizza.

Reaction Score
Anybody been to Blind Pig Pizza on Arch St? I’ve heard good things, but does it have the boneyard seal of approval?

Reaction Score
Willie's was my favorite in town pizza growing up in East Haven (Staven).
Haven't been there in years. If I was going to travel to get pizza, I would continue on to New Haven. But East and West Haven always had good pizza.

Tollis and John &Maria's are much better

They aren't the big 3 or zuppardis but if you don't want to wait at those they are solid alternatives

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Had Rolling Tomato in Groton for lunch. A bit like Plum Tomato (and it was one 18 years ago), but is not affiliated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom