OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 154 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I would never tell anyone to get the sauce only at Sally's.

Haven't had the meatball at Modern but their sausage pie is the best I've ever had. It's great with cherry peppers or the Italian bomb but best as just a sausage pie, IMO.

No doubt on the sauce only with parmesan sprinkled parmesan, it's excellent. My son wanted to head down a couple weekends ago after watching One Bite on Sallys the high rating pushed us down there. He loved both the Traditional and Classic.

But will try Moderns sausage and cherry peps next time for sure!

Sallys Sauce only.jpg

Reaction Score
No doubt on the sauce only with parmesan sprinkled parmesan, it's excellent. My son wanted to head down a couple weekends ago after watching One Bite on Sallys the high rating pushed us down there. He loved both the Traditional and Classic.

But will try Moderns sausage and cherry peps next time for sure!

View attachment 46214
The sauce only just isn't for me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thank God for that nasty earwax removal banner ad I keep getting here or else I would be driving to Zuppardi's for lunch right now.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
take a look at Zuppardi's menu and read closely you'll notice there are two clam pies offered - "fresh shucked" and "baby clam" - big price difference. I've only had the fresh shucked, expensive but worth it. I assume the "baby clam" is a canned produce that is vastly inferior, probably only offered because of supply issues with the fresh?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
And.....read the title of the article you linked.

You are pretty dumb.

I can call the thing expensive (in comparison to the Pepes fresh shucked clam pie) and still say Id gladly pay for it, as I already have in this thread. You be you though.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ever since poking my head into Buffalina at 11am for a chat w/a guy inside while I looked at its remodeling through the windows, I've nursed the disappointment of calling for a reservation later that day after checking out 7 Rhode Island beaches and learning via recording that they were not opening on the Tuesday after Labor Day.

The beach walks got me in the habit, and it has been a solid surgery recuperation regimen. I've also let it guide me, mostly by proximity and time of day, to 3 other quick-cooking small-pie places:

2 trips to ReBAR in West Haven (both dollar off happy hour and late night). Neither the Margherita nor the sausage & mootz made it out of the parking lot. Both were crispier than the next two. Solid options, at a fair price befitting a surprisingly good-looking Savin Rock strip mall bar for locals.

Zeneli's on Wooster Street, after ReBAR's intended encore had an hour wait b cause someone had just ordered a dozen pies. Pillowy and quite good in a way that DaLegna seems to be trying for, but has never fully impressed me. I'll be back for more than just a margherita, and probably stay there next time; attractive space. Much eaten on the way back to the parked car, and finished along the way to East Rock's summit.

Finally, last night I wasn't through after Sandy Pt beach walk and live music at Cafe Nine, so I picked up an 'apples-to-apples' comparison 12" sausage & cheese from One6Three for a nearby, full, spectacular East Rock sunset, again eating a lot as I drove.

I'll finish my mini-tour this week at Next Door, and then plan for Buffalina, to be paired with a trip to Hammonasset, if not my remaining recon swing up to Rhode Island before summer truly closes out with the equinox.

So much "no bad pizzas."

I'd rank the ice creams Wentworth's, Arethusa, Kelly's, Ashley's, Fenwick's, but again, all good, and set/setting, location, time of day, pricing, and flavor choices make the distinctions.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@Hans Sprungfeld , I would recommend eating in at Bufalina instead of taking out, at least for the first visit.

Also, be aware that they will be changing to their Fall menu soon (usually on the actual day the seasons change), so the Fichi, Zucchine, Pomodori and Melanzane will be coming off and four new pies will be coming on; and they usually don't have a "special" pie for the first week of each new seasonal menu, the thinking being that all of the new pies are "special."

On that note, I have noticed that one of the "special" pies in the weeks leading up to the new seasonal menu frequently becomes one of the new seasonal pies, so they kind of try it out for a week or so to see what the reaction is. I wouldn't be surprised if last week's special "Wild fennel – shallot oil pizza with buffalo mozzarella & Tuscan salami" appears on the Fall 2019 menu.

Reaction Score
@Hans Sprungfeld , I would recommend eating in at Bufalina instead of taking out, at least for the first visit.

Also, be aware that they will be changing to their Fall menu soon (usually on the actual day the seasons change), so the Fichi, Zucchine, Pomodori and Melanzane will be coming off and four new pies will be coming on; and they usually don't have a "special" pie for the first week of each new seasonal menu, the thinking being that all of the new pies are "special."

On that note, I have noticed that one of the "special" pies in the weeks leading up to the new seasonal menu frequently becomes one of the new seasonal pies, so they kind of try it out for a week or so to see what the reaction is. I wouldn't be surprised if last week's special "Wild fennel – shallot oil pizza with buffalo mozzarella & Tuscan salami" appears on the Fall 2019 menu.

Take out Neapolitan 'za just soggy mush. It needs to be piping hot. It's hard to compare bufalina to the big 3 because it's a completely different style. But they do Neapolitan VERY well down there.

Reaction Score
I would never tell anyone to get the sauce only at Sally's.

Haven't had the meatball at Modern but their sausage pie is the best I've ever had. It's great with cherry peppers or the Italian bomb but best as just a sausage pie, IMO.
I’d imagine the meatball and sausage would be similarly great. The night I went to Sally’s, the cheese pizza was just a bit dry. 3 of us agreed the sauce only was surprisingly the best pie, that night anyway.

Reaction Score
I had Bufalina tonight. For maybe the 10th time. I think I’m ready to call it. This is the best pizza in the state. Nothing else holds up as well to scrutiny, innovates, delivers consistently.

Also, they’ve got ice cream sandwiches for dessert right now. They are made by Hen and Heifer (an amazing Guilford patisserie that any dessert fan should try). They are insanely good.

Reaction Score
I had Bufalina tonight. For maybe the 10th time. I think I’m ready to call it. This is the best pizza in the state. Nothing else holds up as well to scrutiny, innovates, delivers consistently.

Also, they’ve got ice cream sandwiches for dessert right now. They are made by Hen and Heifer (an amazing Guilford patisserie that any dessert fan should try). They are insanely good.

Ice cream sandwiches?! I demand details. Are we talking Chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream?

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Shhhhhh!!!

What did you get?

Reaction Score
Ice cream sandwiches?! I demand details. Are we talking Chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream?
To quote the menu:

S’mores Ice cream sandwiches:
Chocolate and vanilla shortbread cookie, chocolate ice cream,
merengue center, chocolate fudge, graham cracker crumb”

Its... very good. I was gonna take a picture, but it never lasts long.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I usually get one marg with sausage and extra basil. And one of whatever special they have at the time.
We almost always include the special, but the truffle honey with ricotta that they have on now is a little too rich for a whole pie for my tastes.

Reaction Score

The dessert settles it. I'm going tomorrow.

Reaction Score
We almost always include the special, but the truffle honey with ricotta that they have on now is a little too rich for a whole pie for my tastes.
Yeah I didn't get that one tonight. I don't like honey that much. I've been trying to make sure I try most of their options, but I'm a moth to the flame with margherita with sausage added, so I'm sure I've missed a few of the seasonal varieties.

The dessert settles it. I'm going tomorrow.
Better hurry. I tried to get them to sell me three the other day. They politely refused and gave me just one. But I'll just keep going back and taking them all one at a time. Everything at Hen & Heifer is amazing if you ever get a chance to go, if there was a best pastry chef in CT thread I'd be in there raving about this place, too.

Do your Boneyard duty people, take pictures!!!
I found a picture I took when I got one last time! But the cookies are so delicate, and the meringue filling is so soft, covered in a light caramel, with a salt mixed in with the graham cracker crumbs on the side, the picture doesn't really do it justice.
Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 11.15.46 PM.png

Reaction Score
The Old Dino's Pizza at Bishop's Corner in W. Hartford

In the early 70's, we used to hitch in from Storrs for lunch at the old Dino's Pizza in W. Hartford. By far, it was the best pizza this native New Yorker ever found in CT back then (& I looked everywhere).

Siciliano style - thick, square pies were my favorites. Incredible grinders too. All the food was fresh & wonderful. They used sweeter flour & sauces than most & had some real experienced people making those pies. Their rich tasting meatballs were the best. Had a much bigger selection of toppings & combo's than than just about every other CT pizzeria - before the boutique era came in. Can still taste them. It's all in the sauce prep. Family owned. Tried the whole menu.

Often though, I'd start out heading for Dino's, & then just keep going down 91 & 95 to my old neighborhood pizzeria in NYC - Emilio's (now Joe's) - for lunch. Pig out! See friends. Stay the night. Hitch back early next morning for classes at UConn with another pie to go.

Emilio's Famous Pizza (now Joe's) at No. 7 Carmine Street at Father Demo Square in the Village was THE BEST PIZZA I've ever tasted in the US. There since the 50's, it's now run by Emilio's son Joe & is called Joe's Famous Pizza. My favorite at Emilio's was Siciliano style square pie topped with onions, anchovies, tomatoes, herbs and their strong cheese combo's such as caciocavallo and toma. We'd stop in after playing hoops at the famous West 4th Street Courts on the Square & old man Emilio would top off our Nedicks orange drinks with a little Gordon's vodka now & then. A real neighborhood joint. Check it out when you go down for the Big East tournament. Huge 19" pies. $20-24 tops. Real value.

Of course, the best pizza I've ever experienced was in Sicily - all over the place - so much pride in their food. It's all in the traditional recipe's (which vary from town to town) & in those special San Marzano or pomodorino vesuviano grape tomatoes that only grow there. Drooling now. Ciao!

alohachris

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom