OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 152 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
This needs to be on the pizza thread even though it's not CT pizza being reviewed. In case some of you don't check out the "One Bite" review by Barstools founder Dave P check them all out. He's entertaining and very funny. Loves New Haven pizza by the way!! Here goes, a Husky pizza review:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
blowhard says 'Burt's' is the best pan pizza in the country. 2,000+ comments sound mostly in 'worst' ted talk ever, ie. 'why did I watch this?' ostensibly, it's about pizza, so it belongs here, I think. maybe not.

Reaction Score
Went to the original Zuppardi’s for lunch Friday. I’ve been to the one located inside The Hops Company in Derby, and always enjoyed there.

This time I ordered a meatball pie. The crust is truly fantastic, it’s light, fresh and damn near perfect. The overall pie falls a little short of Pepe’s, Modern and Sally’s but it’s still a heavyweight and at the top of the 2nd tier, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Here's the 20k pizza oven

Attachments

• 20190901_213615-min (1).jpg
    20190901_213615-min (1).jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 87
Reaction Score
Not in CT; but, for anyone who is visiting Brooklyn, Sottocasa is a good, brick-oven, little thin crust place right on Atlantic Avenue near the waterfront, Brooklyn Heights, the Bridge, and Barclay's. They make a really good hot Italian Sausage pie. They also have an outdoor garden in back to enjoy a nice late summer day. Took my family there yesterday in between visiting the 9/11 Memorial and walking over the Brooklyn Bridge (insanely crowed). We each ordered a pie (individual size 10") and only 1 slice was left after (my 9 year old) and it got 4 thumbs-up. It's a little pricey ($12 to $19 per pie); but, its reasonable for NYC. After the Bridge, went to the South Street Seaport for a treat - a Salty Pimp from Big Gay Ice Cream. It was a beautiful day outside.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Not in CT; but, for anyone who is visiting Brooklyn, Sottocasa is a good, brick-oven, little thin crust place right on Atlantic Avenue near the waterfront, Brooklyn Heights, the Bridge, and Barclay's. They make a really good hot Italian Sausage pie. They also have an outdoor garden in back to enjoy a nice late summer day. Took my family there yesterday in between visiting the 9/11 Memorial and walking over the Brooklyn Bridge (insanely crowed). We each ordered a pie (individual size 10") and only 1 slice was left after (my 9 year old) and it got 4 thumbs-up. It's a little pricey ($12 to $19 per pie); but, its reasonable for NYC. After the Bridge, went to the South Street Seaport for a treat - a Salty Pimp from Big Gay Ice Cream. It was a beautiful day outside.

whut? no sahadi's pop in?

Reaction Score
Anyone ever have Michael Johns in Bloomfield? Was out there on business and grabbed a slice and I was pleasantly surprised.

Reaction Score
Geez ya think with all the square stone they could have fit them better.some joints are 2in thick some ,3/4in.thats why we have chip hammers.blue stone is not mortared in,no matching joints.sorry but,looks like a pile of rubble

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Looks like the 2nd CT Artichoke pizza is coming across from the XL Center next. In the former Mcinnions Irish pub location. Grab a margarita Sicilian slice & a CT craft beer before a game.

Reaction Score
Anyone ever have Michael Johns in Bloomfield? Was out there on business and grabbed a slice and I was pleasantly surprised.
Haven’t tried that yet but it’s just another example of how remarkably good pizza is in this state. I moved back 4 years ago and am amazed by how many good spots there are. Maybe not all New Haven standard, but literally hundreds of solid pizza places.

Reaction Score
Geez ya think with all the square stone they could have fit them better.some joints are 2in thick some ,3/4in.thats why we have chip hammers.blue stone is not mortared in,no matching joints.sorry but,looks like a pile of rubble
Are you stoned?

Reaction Score
Has Mango's in Mystic ever been discussed here before? I don't see it showing up in searches. I used to be a big fan, but on a visit last weekend I was disappointed with a hard downturn in quality. The cheese quality fell off a cliff, the sauce was basically tasteless, and the crust was covered on the top with corn meal. Anyone know if this is a trend or a Labor Day anomaly?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone been to Farina on Route 80 in Guilford? Someone was raving to me about it yesterday, claiming very it has very good New Haven style apizza, as well as good pasta and other entrees. I've never heard anything else about it before, despite driving by it often.
So we finally tried this place this past weekend. I had high hopes because all the hallmarks were there: Foxon Park sodas, good reviews, really friendly owner. Unfortunately the pizza did not deliver on this promise--it scored a unanimous "meh" from our family.

The good news is that our pizza order was an afterthought because the entrees over-delivered: eggplant parm tasted classic and very homemade, and linguini with white clam sauce was chock-full of fresh, tasty clams (in the shell) with just the right amount of garlic. Will definitely go back for the entrees, but will skip the pizza in the future.

Reaction Score
So we finally tried this place this past weekend. I had high hopes because all the hallmarks were there: Foxon Park sodas, good reviews, really friendly owner. Unfortunately the pizza did not deliver on this promise--it scored a unanimous "meh" from our family.

The good news is that our pizza order was an afterthought because the entrees over-delivered: eggplant parm tasted classic and very homemade, and linguini with white clam sauce was chock-full of fresh, tasty clams (in the shell) with just the right amount of garlic. Will definitely go back for the entrees, but will skip the pizza in the future.

I believe the owner use to be the chef at la forresta in killingworth. Think he makes his own desserts also

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If anyone is ever looking for great pizza in Middletown, the Illiano’s location on Washington St does an excellent job. It’s NY style in that it offers over 10 varieties of slices, for a complete pie, the buffalo chicken is outstanding. Also, the Sicilian is great as well.
I love the Buffalo Chicken. Nice kick to it. It's only a town over and yet I never make my way there.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
recent pizza 'chuckles.'
1. seen on a Fiore coupon circular;
'Sheet Cheese Pizza 19.00'
'Build-Your-Own Sheet Pizza 30.00' (emphasis added)
can't stop laughing...
2. from another site: 'things a pizza delivery person would like to tell the customers':
  1. If you spent less money on over-priced pizza, you could have more money to clean your house
  2. Supermarket pizza is only slightly less good than takeaway pizza, and about 1/5 of the price.
  3. When your doorbell is greasy, it is time to stop eating pizza.
  4. When you are so big that you can’t get out of your chair, it is time to stop eating pizza.
  5. Don’t complain to me on the doorstep about the price. You should have checked that before you ordered it.
  6. If you are one of the people who orders pizza every day for your kids because you can’t be bothered to cook - you. A pizza every now and then is fine. Pizza every day will kill your children eventually.
  7. If you live in a house with loads of steps leading from the street to the door, please don’t order pizza.
  8. If you live in a house with a ridiculously long driveway - ditto.
  9. If you live in a huge block of flats with a broken lift - ditto.
  10. If you want prompt service, please put a door number somewhere it can be seen from the road and at night, or enjoy your cold pizza.
  11. Don’t order the potato wedges - they suck.
  12. Double decadence is just low-quality cream cheese between two low-quality and very thin bases. Don’t bother.
  13. If you live on a brand-new housing estate where every house looks identical - enjoy your cold pizza.
  14. If you want pizza but don’t have much money, order the garlic bread. It is loads cheaper and just as tasty.
  15. If you are a good tipper, word gets around fast, and the delivery drivers will be fighting one another to deliver your pizza ASAP.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's a lot of words for, "Most places that deliver pizza are awful."

Incidentally, why does a greasy doorbell mean one eats too much pizza? Does the delivery guy eat part of it on the way?

Also why don't delivery people like long driveways? Did they walk to the house? Are they expected to park on the street?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom