OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 151 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I think it's become my favorite too. I've had pies at all three that when firing on all cylinders are about as good as it gets. My last trip to Pepe's was great with Sally's being a letdown. Modern has fired on all cylinders the last few times I went and I just reallt like the place. Crowded but don't really have to wait, pitchers of Foxon Park soda, prices are excellent, old school joint feel without even trying to capture it, and the owner is a good dude.

They are definitely the most consistent. My recommendation to people when they ask. But when Sally's is on I lean towards them

Reaction Score
Well, since pizza and cheese go hand in hand and these guys supply many of the area pizza artisans...

>>All told, Liuzzi won five national awards — including 1st place wins for its ultra-rich Ricotta di Bufala and smoked Burrata cheeses, 2nd place for its Burrata and 3rd place for both its Filoncino (fior di latte fresh mozzarella) and Smoked Mozzarella cheeses.

Calabro won four national awards, including 1st place for its creamy Hand-Dipped Ricotta and three 2nd place wins for its Ricotta di Bufala, Bocconcini (bite-sized) Fresh Mozzarella and Old Fashioned Fresh Mozzarella cheeses.<<

Reaction Score
Modern did not disappoint. Absolutely delicious. As 8893 said, light Mozz and well done is the way to go. We are truly fortunate to have Pepe's, Modern, Sally's and Bufalina within striking distance on any given night. The bacon and meatball we got was virtually perfect once we allowed it to sit for a few minutes. In the middle of one bite, I literally thought to myself " F@&k, this is incredible" and I am not prone to swearing.
How has Zuppardis been lately? Anybody been recently? My favorite, but haven't been able to make it there since last summer.

Reaction Score
How has Zuppardis been lately? Anybody been recently? My favorite, but haven't been able to make it there since last summer.
Funny you should ask. I just had Zuppardi’s from The Hops Conpany in Derby. Not the same as the original Zupp’a I’m sure but consistently good. I still need to try the original. Has anyone discussed Da Legna yet?

Reaction Score
Well, since pizza and cheese go hand in hand and these guys supply many of the area pizza artisans...

>>All told, Liuzzi won five national awards — including 1st place wins for its ultra-rich Ricotta di Bufala and smoked Burrata cheeses, 2nd place for its Burrata and 3rd place for both its Filoncino (fior di latte fresh mozzarella) and Smoked Mozzarella cheeses.

Calabro won four national awards, including 1st place for its creamy Hand-Dipped Ricotta and three 2nd place wins for its Ricotta di Bufala, Bocconcini (bite-sized) Fresh Mozzarella and Old Fashioned Fresh Mozzarella cheeses.<<

That leads to the discussion about how to grade them all. Do you look at the specialty pies across the nation? Or do you hold the "gold standard" as a straight cheese pie like El Pres does and decide who does that best? He says the straight cheese pie is the 40 yard dash. It's a universal score.

This place has a white clam pie. This one has a red potato pie. This one has a meat lovers. This one has buffalo chicken.

I feel like the watermark is the cheese pizza. Period.

Reaction Score
That leads to the discussion about how to grade them all. Do you look at the specialty pies across the nation? Or do you hold the "gold standard" as a straight cheese pie like El Pres does and decide who does that best? He says the straight cheese pie is the 40 yard dash. It's a universal score.

This place has a white clam pie. This one has a red potato pie. This one has a meat lovers. This one has buffalo chicken.

One one hand, I agree. That's why multiple pies are a must. I HAVE to get bacon and onion and/or White Clam when I go to Pepe's. They are both that good. The comparison thing should be apples to apples, but some signiture toppings are always in order as well.

Reaction Score

I see arguments for both. Either measuring just on cheese pizza, or identifying the one pie that place specializes in and judging off that. If I’m going to Pepe’s; it’s gotta be clam, if it’s Modern, something with meat on it. Sally’s, the red pie with no mozz is the standout in my opinion,

Reaction Score
>>Colin Caplan is a pizza guru. His deep love of his hometown, New Haven, Connecticut, has morphed into a deep love of all things pizza. Caplan’s so entrenched in the pizza scene of New Haven that he authored the book Pizza in New Haven in 2018 and co-produced a documentary called Pizza, A Love Story this year — both love letters to the brilliant pizza scene around Wooster Street in New Haven.

Today, Caplan runs food tours in New Haven through his Taste of New Haven tour company. He’s also the mind behind New Haven’s Apizza Feast, which is popping off September 13th this year. The festival celebrates the deep Italian-American heritage of the city, once the most densely populated Italian city in America, and the varied and delicious pies that community still produces.<<

Reaction Score
>>Colin Caplan is a pizza guru. His deep love of his hometown, New Haven, Connecticut, has morphed into a deep love of all things pizza. Caplan’s so entrenched in the pizza scene of New Haven that he authored the book Pizza in New Haven in 2018 and co-produced a documentary called Pizza, A Love Story this year — both love letters to the brilliant pizza scene around Wooster Street in New Haven.

Today, Caplan runs food tours in New Haven through his Taste of New Haven tour company. He’s also the mind behind New Haven’s Apizza Feast, which is popping off September 13th this year. The festival celebrates the deep Italian-American heritage of the city, once the most densely populated Italian city in America, and the varied and delicious pies that community still produces.<<

Pizza with jalapeños?
Pizza from Boca Raton?

Uhhhh, hard pass.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

For a universal score, I can’t imagine a better standard—especially if you’re primarily using that standard to separate wheat from chaff. I’d assume there’s a good chance that any place that rates 8 or more on the plain scamozza pie scale has something(s) they even do better, so it would be a shame if people eliminated places at the margins on the basis of that scale alone.

Reaction Score
Pizza from Boca Raton?

Uhhhh, hard pass.

Owner has deep CT roots/dough/pizza experience - comparable to pizza in CT/NY/NJ (even w/ Florida water).

>>Nick’s is best known for its specialty White Clam Pie. In addition to apizza, other regional specialties include Hummel hot dogs and East Haven, Connecticut Foxon Park sodas, crafted since 1922 in flavors such as White Birch and Gassosa. The menu also features a wide range of pastas, entrees, coal fired grinders and fresh salads. Standouts include House-made Ricotta Spinach Gnocchi, Linguine and Clams and a perfectly Grilled Skirt Steak with mushroom risotto and broccoli rabe.<<

Reaction Score
Owner has deep CT roots/dough/pizza experience - comparable to pizza in CT/NY/NJ (even w/ Florida water).

>>Nick’s is best known for its specialty White Clam Pie. In addition to apizza, other regional specialties include Hummel hot dogs and East Haven, Connecticut Foxon Park sodas, crafted since 1922 in flavors such as White Birch and Gassosa. The menu also features a wide range of pastas, entrees, coal fired grinders and fresh salads. Standouts include House-made Ricotta Spinach Gnocchi, Linguine and Clams and a perfectly Grilled Skirt Steak with mushroom risotto and broccoli rabe.<<

Any legit pizza place carries foxon park if they don't leave immediately

Reaction Score

Steaks
Pasta
Grinders
Risotto
Soda
Gnocchi

Go to another thread. I want the best pizza. Period.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pizza with jalapeños?
Pizza from Boca Raton?

Uhhhh, hard pass.

I'm always delighted to hear about people evangelizing NH style pizza in different parts of the country. When I used to go to San Diego fairly regularly, URBN was a spot I'd try to hit every visit (they have Foxon Park). I'm becoming a fan of Detroit style like in the photo from Tony's, though I wouldn't compare it to the big three. And jalapenos... big fan of the stinger/hot oil Colony pie.

I think a talented pizzaiolo can probably make a pretty good version of a NH apizza anywhere with the right equipment. Wish someone would try it in Pittsburgh.

You can buy specific water additives these days to create a good facsimile of NH or NYC H2O. The issue is generally whether the public will like it as they're used to whatever they grew up with - and is often price sensitive. So I applaud all of those who can bring a good apizza to Boca Raton or wherever.

Also don't mind if the menu also includes other Italian dishes. But I personally draw the line at chicken wings. I've yet to have a mind-blowing pizza anywhere where wings was a major deal on the menu.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I need help, I'm going for pizza in Old Saybrook for lunch. Which spot is best?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I need help, I'm going for pizza in Old Saybrook for lunch. Which spot is best?
Probably alforno
I agree that Alforno is probably the best. Sal's in Westbrook (right on the OS line) is also decent, as is Pizza Works, although we haven't been there in a long time--was more for the kids. The latter is the least traditional and has some specialty pizzas we used to like, like their Thai Chicken pizza, but that might warrant a trigger warning if you are a purist like @Deepster . On that note, also be warned that Alforno and Sal's both have many other offerings besides pizza.

ETA: Sal's used to be in Westbrook and I thought their "new" (i.e., ten-plus years ago) location was still in Westbrook, but apparently it is Old Saybrook. IIRC they have Foxon Park, too; I don't believe Alforno or PW do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ray Ray keeping thread alive (he was playing when this thread started).

Reaction Score
I agree that Alforno is probably the best. Sal's in Westbrook (right on the OS line) is also decent, as is Pizza Works, although we haven't been there in a long time--was more for the kids. The latter is the least traditional and has some specialty pizzas we used to like, like their Thai Chicken pizza, but that might warrant a trigger warning if you are a purist like @Deepster . On that note, also be warned that Alforno and Sal's both have many other offerings besides pizza.

ETA: Sal's used to be in Westbrook and I thought their "new" (i.e., ten-plus years ago) location was still in Westbrook, but apparently it is Old Saybrook. IIRC they have Foxon Park, too; I don't believe Alforno or PW do.
Pizza Works is a fun place. The pizzas are good, nothing special, but fun varieties. Tex Mex was always one of my favorites. And their focaccia bread is great.

I go regularly because the train sets are like free babysitting. You can basically have a date there if you have small children while they stare at the giant train displays upstairs. Huge beer selection too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom