OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 149 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Went to Sally's last night for my son's birthday celebration. There were 7 of us, so we ordered 4 large pies. The sauce only was a big hit and the clear winner in the "eat it next day cold" category.
Mozz, bacon and onion was very solid, bordering on exceptional. Mozz and mushroom was very good and made my parents happy, as mushroom is their favorite topping. Sauce and Mozz was also very good, but probably a half notch below the Sauce only pie.

Great to get 4 and sample them all. Yum. Plenty of leftovers all around.

Reaction Score
If I had to guess there are almost as many Albanian Italian restaurant owners in CT. as there are Italian restaurant owners. They are good people and usually do a good job with their Italian places.

Pretty sure cafe Fiore in branford, Italian restaurant, is owned/ run by Albanians. Good spot but not as good as pasta cosi, assaggios, lomanaco, etc

Reaction Score
I believe Adrianna's in New Haven, Vino Rosso on Branford, La Foresta in Killingworth and Viron Rondo in Cheshire are all owned/run by Albanians.

Adriatik’s in Glastonbury

Reaction Score
I believe Adrianna's in New Haven, Vino Rosso on Branford, La Foresta in Killingworth and Viron Rondo in Cheshire are all owned/run by Albanians.

Rosso vino great. Just bad location and parking sucks. Love adriana too

Reaction Score
Viron Rondo is Greek and his wife is Albanian,

Their "My Mother's Chips" are awesome. Always tempted to just get those and drink the day away on the patio.

Reaction Score
Sally's it is, does Modern travel well? Think I'll pick up a pie to go from them after.

Reaction Score
Tony's Pizza in Willimantic!

Actually, I'm sure that place is long gone, but that was the family place growing up and I remember it fondly. I was 14 before I knew that pizza doesn't usually have little crustless squares in the middle.
I played for their men's softball team in the 70's always went there after games

Reaction Score
There was a guy a few posts back who built a$ 20,000 Piazza oven in his backyard maybe next time check out his pies and report back,thanks

Reaction Score
Bummer. I haven’t been since the new owners. What was off?
Honestly, everything was a little off to me. Got a plain just because of all the suggestions and it's not for me but even the sausage pie was off. Flavors weren't bold, sausage wasn't that great. I like my pizza well done to burnt but the crust was charcoal today, wouldn't have been a problem if the rest of the pizza was great but it wasn't.

Had not been to Sally's in a million years and some of the old family still works there but it was not what I remember, waitress was cute and had a great personality though. Modern's sausage pie blows it out of the water.

Reaction Score
Fiore II In Middletown as well. They do a really good job and prices are very reasonable.

Reaction Score
Honestly, everything was a little off to me. Got a plain just because of all the suggestions and it's not for me but even the sausage pie was off. Flavors weren't bold, sausage wasn't that great. I like my pizza well done to burnt but the crust was charcoal today, wouldn't have been a problem if the rest of the pizza was great but it wasn't.

Had not been to Sally's in a million years and some of the old family still works there but it was not what I remember, waitress was cute and had a great personality though. Modern's sausage pie blows it out of the water.
Sorry to hear this. I had a similar experience the other night. Very good experience overall but outside of the sauce only pie, I didn’t feel the other pies were that special compared to other really good pizza places. I’m really looking forward to a Modern trip soon myself.

Reaction Score
Traveling thru NH on a Sunday afternoon leaves just Pepe. It doesn't travel that well. Modern had more consistant texture by time I got home, froze / thawed, etc

Reaction Score
WSJ had an interesting story last weekend: 'Pizza Quest: a cross-country guide to America's best pies'. They listed 10 cities / types of pizza. NH was #10 (not sure number mattered as a ranking), and they named Sally. Brief compare of Pepe and Sally based on the clams: chopped or whole.

Pizza Quest: A Cross-Country Guide to America’s Best Pies

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
WSJ had an interesting story last weekend: 'Pizza Quest: a cross-country guide to America's best pies'. They listed 10 cities / types of pizza. NH was #10 (not sure number mattered as a ranking), and they named Sally. Brief compare of Pepe and Sally based on the clams: chopped or whole.

Pizza Quest: A Cross-Country Guide to America’s Best Pies
I stopped reading after the first sentence ''Imagine a world before Pizza Hut, a time before Domino’s and Papa John’s homogenized our notions of what pizza can be. ' I don't speak alien.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom