OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 148 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Bold move opening a pizza place on Wooster street, especially wood fired. Coal fired>>wood fired.

New Haven is ridiculous, every other storefront is a pizza place.

Wooster ST such a tourist trap now that it probably may be smart just from foot traffic overflow

Reaction Score
Neapolitan pizza is NOT assembly line pizza. Well-made brick wood-fired ovens reach >800F and can literally fully cook a pizza in under 2 minutes. Pretty much all good Neapolitan-style pizza places do this.

Yes they get extremely hot upwards of 1200 degrees but pizza should be cooked at about 660 degrees.

Old timer who worked at de legna helped my buddy build a $20k wood fired pizza oven in his backyard this summer and gave us those instructions. You also measure the heat by pointing the gun at the floor of the oven not the coals

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wooster ST such a tourist trap now that it probably may be smart just from foot traffic overflow

I don't know what it's like in NH or CT these days regarding brick oven pizza, but here in Pgh, I can't get excited over any new Neopolitan place. There are so many already and they're pretty much interchangeable. Our most interesting pizza additions in past 2-3 years have been a couple of "upscale" Detroit-style stands and a Roman street pizza place.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes they get extremely hot upwards of 1200 degrees but pizza should be cooked at about 660 degrees.

Old timer who worked at de legna helped my buddy build a $20k wood fired pizza oven in his backyard this summer and gave us those instructions. You also measure the heat by pointing the gun at the floor of the oven not the coals

Ask any "old timer" how to properly make a pizza and you'll get an answer that their way is the only way.

Reaction Score
I don't know what it's like in NH or CT these days regarding brick oven pizza, but here in Pgh, I can't get excited over any new Neopolitan place. There are so many already and they're pretty much interchangeable. Our most interesting pizza additions in past 2-3 years have been a couple of "upscale" Detroit-style stands and a Roman street pizza place.
They don't do much for me either. Usually the exact same menu, the pies are typically overpriced, and they usually seem to get soggy in the middle. Excellent ingredients but a personal pie for 18 bucks and they still can't seem to cook it perfectly.

Reaction Score
They don't do much for me either. Usually the exact same menu, the pies are typically overpriced, and they usually seem to get soggy in the middle. Excellent ingredients but a personal pie for 18 bucks and they still can't seem to cook it perfectly.
There's still a lot of dough in a pizza!

Reaction Score
Lol, you've never heard of Neapolitan pizza?!??

You can calmly see yourself out of the pizza thread.

Every pizza I've ever had there was round. Every one. And I lived there for 1 1/2 years.

But yeah, I didn't know they did it in 60 seconds. Any pizza place I ate at when I lived in Napoli we waited for 20-30 minutes

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Every pizza I've ever had there was round. Every one. And I lived there for 1 1/2 years.

But yeah, I didn't know they did it in 60 seconds. Any pizza place I ate at when I lived in Napoli we waited for 20-30 minutes

Well you'll wait 20-30 minutes at any Neopolitan place in US as well. The cooking is really fast, but the making is slower than a NY style pizza.

Reaction Score
Each pizza will only take 90 seconds to cook in such an oven.
I'd be skeptical of this one minute pizza.
Well-made brick wood-fired ovens reach >800F and can literally fully cook a pizza in under 2 minutes.
But yeah, I didn't know they did it in 60 seconds
Madon.jpg

Reaction Score

Don't understand your round comment. Yes, pies in Napoli and D.O.C certified pizzas in the states are round and they take about 90 seconds. I also ate pizza in Napoli, it's good but no New Haven.

Why did you live in Napoli? I really enjoyed it there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Big new opening in New Haven today. Zeneli’s opened up right across from Pepe’s and is definitely ready to challenge the Wooster big boys. 30 seat restaurant with small bar, wood fired oven, Neapolitan style. Casual but more upscale and trendy than the retro vibe they have on the rest of Wooster. Really solid opening day pizzas.
Neapolitan Brothers Take On Wooster Square Pizza

This restaurant will open early in the morning to serve cappuccinos, croissants, and other breakfast goodies, then transition to pizza and booze in the evening... they have ordered a special, wood-fired pizza oven from Naples to stock their new New Haven kitchen. Each pizza will only take 90 seconds to cook in such an oven.
Their pies will be Neapolitan-style, they said, longer, more rectangular than round, and served as “personal pies” for individual consumption.
So, in the old Cavaliere's space. I haven't been yet, but second-hand reports indicate a good Neapolitan pie, softer crust than New Haven apizza, slices available.
Just had lunch there. Very good pie and good guys (btw, they are Albanian, not Italian, but they lived in Naples). I asked the one making the pies what his signature pie was so I could try to get the best representation of their style and he recommended the Margherita Verace, a red pie with sauce from San Marzano tomatoes, buffalo mozz, basil and evoo. Good, chewy crust, but a bit too floppy and lacking in char to warrant a top grade. Like Bufalina, it is more similar to the pizza I had in Italy than New Haven-style apizza is, but it is not as good as Bufalina. No shame in that, though; I think it's better than Strega in Branford, Krust in Middletown or Otto in Chester, all of which are variations on that same theme. I would place it on par with Next Door.

Only personal pizzas; no slices. Apps and pastas that I did not sample. Owner offered me an espresso on the house, which was a nice touch.

I will be back.

Reaction Score
Don't understand your round comment. Yes, pies in Napoli and D.O.C certified pizzas in the states are round and they take about 90 seconds. I also ate pizza in Napoli, it's good but no New Haven.

Why did you live in Napoli? I really enjoyed it there.

I was there with George Mason for a semester, then went north to U. Padova for a semester (no American affiliation, just enrolled in the school for Stranieri [strangers]) then I came back to Napoli to live with friends I met the previous fall, and I worked (various jobs). My family and I went back and stayed with them just last summer. I became a Maradona/Napoli fan (this was back in 1989-1991) and have always been (they even just signed some of my favorite players).

By the way, the article above says it won't be a round pizza but an oval personal one. That's what reminded me of Pi-Craft. In Napoli, I only ever had round. But, I have to admit, we never talked about how much time it took to make it, nor did we have pizza threads on the Napoli Calcio website (which obviously didn't exist).

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Had a plain pie from Little Rendezvous last night. They were great once again. A small step below the sallys of the world, but a closer drive for me than new haven. Highly recommended if you’re in Hartford area and want a New Haven esque pie

Reaction Score
Just had lunch there. Very good pie and good guys (btw, they are Albanian, not Italian, but they lived in Naples). I asked the one making the pies what his signature pie was so I could try to get the best representation of their style and he recommended the Margherita Verace, a red pie with sauce from San Marzano tomatoes, buffalo mozz, basil and evoo. Good, chewy crust, but a bit too floppy and lacking in char to warrant a top grade. Like Bufalina, it is more similar to the pizza I had in Italy than New Haven-style apizza is, but it is not as good as Bufalina. No shame in that, though; I think it's better than Strega in Branford, Krust in Middletown or Otto in Chester, all of which are variations on that same theme. I would place it on par with Next Door.

Only personal pizzas; no slices. Apps and pastas that I did not sample. Owner offered me an espresso on the house, which was a nice touch.

I will be back.
View attachment 45262
Totally agreed on the crust not having enough stability through to the middle. I got a the same pie and had them add sausage to it, which exacerbated the issue. But otherwise, very fine pizza. Great dough flavor and sauce. I requested well done and it still din't have much char to it, but it not bad at all. Definitely up there, and could maybe improve with a bit more time.

Hoping to make it back to try another pie and some pasta soon. Fortunately (or unfortunately) my office is on Chapel near the State St corner, so I'll probably be there pretty regularly.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

I will be back.
View attachment 45262
Looks puffy.

Reaction Score

I will be back.
View attachment 45262
If I had to guess there are almost as many Albanian Italian restaurant owners in CT. as there are Italian restaurant owners. They are good people and usually do a good job with their Italian places.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Totally agreed on the crust not having enough stability through to the middle. I got a the same pie and had them add sausage to it, which exacerbated the issue. But otherwise, very fine pizza. Great dough flavor and sauce. I requested well done and it still din't have much char to it, but it not bad at all. Definitely up there, and could maybe improve with a bit more time.

Hoping to make it back to try another pie and some pasta soon. Fortunately (or unfortunately) my office is on Chapel near the State St corner, so I'll probably be there pretty regularly.
Yeah I was torn because I usually like to try at least a taste of a pie with some sort of meat on it, and I asked him where he gets his sausage because I was considering the Salsiciotta pie. He said it came from a wholesaler in NYC and that didn't interest me enough to try it; and then he suggested the Margherita Verace so that's what I went with.

I will be curious to hear about the other offerings. It's about a mile from my office so I walked there and back figuring it would help offset the calories. I liked the space and definitely expect to be back. I noticed that Pepe's had a line out the door and down the sidewalk, so I would expect these guys to pick up some of the overflow once word gets out.

Looks puffy.
Must be the angle or something, as it was not a puffy crust.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If I had to guess there are almost as many Albanian Italian restaurant owners in CT. as there are Italian restaurant owners. They are good people and usually do a good job with their Italian places.
Agreed on all points. This is at least the fifth one I know of.

Reaction Score
Jimmy the co-owner flipped pies at zuppardies years ago.jimmies is a lighter less expensive version,but still good,sauce is similar
I'm definitely trying Jimmies. Zupps has always been my favorite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom