OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 153 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Did a pizza crawl today.

Zuppardi’s - White clam and bacon 9.4
Modern - Pepperoni and mushroom 7.4
BAR - Mashed potato and bacon 9.1
Roseland - Broccoli rabe and sausage 9.2

Really off day at Modern. Crust was soft and doughy. No abeetz at all.

Bar surprised me the most. I am not a fan of potato pizzas and theirs is next level. Very very light.

Zuppardi’s clam pie? I’m still tasting garlic. In a delicious way. A+ pie.

Reaction Score
Did a pizza crawl today.

Bar surprised me the most. I am not a fan of potato pizzas and theirs is next level. Very very light.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This shows the limitations of the "one bite" metric. You would never get a cheese pizza at Bar, and more importantly you would never, ever get it to go. The key to their pie is the impossible thinness of the crust, but it has to be eaten there. The second it hits a to go box it degrades like 30%. So if you went by Portnoy's ratings alone you probably would have skipped Bar, but as you saw it's definitely worth the stop.

Next time try the mashed potato with bacon, and make it a red pie. I started out getting it as a white pie but a trusted waiter told me to try it red. That was probably more than 20 years ago and I've had it that way ever since.

The Bar salad also rocks.

Reaction Score
This shows the limitations of the "one bite" metric. You would never get a cheese pizza at Bar, and more importantly you would never, ever get it to go. The key to their pie is the impossible thinness of the crust, but it has to be eaten there. The second it hits a to go box it degrades like 30%. So if you went by Portnoy's ratings alone you probably would have skipped Bar, but as you saw it's definitely worth the stop.

Next time try the mashed potato with bacon, and make it a red pie. I started out getting it as a white pie but a trusted waiter told me to try it red. That was probably more than 20 years ago and I've had it that way ever since.

The Bar salad also rocks.

Seeing 2 guys just standing and shucking fresh clams at Zuppardi's was a solid touch when the actual pie came out.

Completely agreed on the One Bite Cheese standard. We thought about it but then said, let's see the fastball at each spot instead. Honestly, that's the way to go. Getting just cheese all day would have been boring and really hard to differentiate at the end of the day, 12-14 slices in.

So, I'm not a big fan of potato pizzas. This was for my girlfriend's birthday and she loves potato pizzas so that's why we included BAR. The crust was super thin and the mashed potatoes were very fluffy and light. I was really surprised at how light and crispy that pizza was. Will try as a red next time.

Reaction Score
Mark Iacono seems to really like Zuppardi's clam pie. I wonder if Zupp's frozen pizzas hold up?

Watch "Classic New Haven Apizza: Apizza or a Pizza? || Really Dough?" on YouTube

Reaction Score
I wonder if Zupp's frozen pizzas hold up?

It loses a little as you would imagine but it’s better than the vast majority in the freezer case @ the grocery store.

We used to make a stop and load up on a 1/2 dozen or so before dropping my oldest back @ school. They have quite the variety usually in the freezer case by the register.

... or Place Your Order - Zuppardi's

Mozz, Hot Cherry Pepper/Sausage, Mushroom/Sausage, Bacon/Onion and Pepperoni all travel well from experience.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm telling you. That may have been the best pizza I've ever had. I can't stop thinking how good it was.
It’s really good their clam pie. It’s also crazy expensive

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Stop being a cheapskate. It was a religious experience.
I’ll gladly pay. But that pie is like 15 bucks more than Pepe’s. Sometimes more

Reaction Score
Did a pizza crawl today.

My heart loves that, my stomach is jealous, while my cardio doc would be appalled...:(

Reaction Score
I’ll gladly pay. But that pie is like 15 bucks more than Pepe’s. Sometimes more

Really? We paid $25 for a large. Pepe's is $17.

I guess time of year makes a big difference. We only go in summer.

Reaction Score
The clam pie at both places costs way more than that.

??? Are we talking about the same Zuppardi's?

This is what we paid this summer.

Haven't had it at Pepe's in a long time. I see it is $29.50 now, but I have a hard time believing Zuppardi's charges $44.50.

I am telling I paid $25 this summer. It must change on availability.

Reaction Score

Haven't had it at Pepe's in a long time. I see it is $29.50 now, but I have a hard time believing Zuppardi's charges $44.50.

I find that hard to believe seeing a large mozz is close to $20 after tax

Reaction Score

You’re talking to a guy that promotes Arby’s.

Reaction Score
My thinking is the One Bite is more real than most other ways of rating pie. He brings it out hot as you can see on most of the video's so even though it's "take out" it's not taking a 30 minute ride hime to eat. Plus he's trying what many people believe to be core of pizza, thin well done crust, muzzy and red sauce. If they can't make that good then the rest of their pizza will suck. Good red sauce and the charred or well done crust are the keys to me if they can't start there then nothing else will matter.

Reaction Score
My thinking is the One Bite is more real than most other ways of rating pie. He brings it out hot as you can see on most of the video's so even though it's "take out" it's not taking a 30 minute ride hime to eat. Plus he's trying what many people believe to be core of pizza, thin well done crust, muzzy and red sauce. If they can't make that good then the rest of their pizza will suck. Good red sauce and the charred or well done crust are the keys to me if they can't start there then nothing else will matter.
Bingo. It’s a good way to test the foundation before adding on toppings. I still think each place should be judged most though on the one pie it does best. Here’s my brief list:

Pepe’s- White clam
Sally’s-Sauce only, no cheese
Modern-Meatball or other meat with light mozz

I’d like to try the clam from Zuppardi’s now, then the potato pie at Bar, then go on a huge diet.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But Bar and Zup's didn't do that well on that rating, and if you used it to eliminate them you would miss out on the goodness of their mashed potato-bacon or clam and bacon pies, respectively.

Reaction Score

You got the canned clam pizza at Zuppardi's, a large freshly shucked clam pizza is in the $45 range.

Reaction Score
Bingo. It’s a good way to test the foundation before adding on toppings. I still think each place should be judged most though on the one pie it does best. Here’s my brief list:

Pepe’s- White clam
Sally’s-Sauce only, no cheese
Modern-Meatball or other meat with light mozz

I’d like to try the clam from Zuppardi’s now, then the potato pie at Bar, then go on a huge diet.
I would never tell anyone to get the sauce only at Sally's.

Haven't had the meatball at Modern but their sausage pie is the best I've ever had. It's great with cherry peppers or the Italian bomb but best as just a sausage pie, IMO.

Reaction Score
But Bar and Zup's didn't do that well on that rating, and if you used it to eliminate them you would miss out on the goodness of their mashed potato-bacon or clam and bacon pies, respectively.

I've had Zups it's solid, real good. Not Modern or Sally's but way up there on regular pie.

I would elimintae them immediately if they were only good at potato-bacon, or clam-bacon pies because I wouldn't eat that LOL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom