OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 156 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Oh look what I just found. Blasphemy.

I’m looking forward to trying East Side Pies in Austin. It’s a block from my usual hotel. Went with Velvet Taco last time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

A lot will depend on the regions. Is New Haven South or East? What about Guilford? Will it be in the same region as New Haven? If so you're going to have one winner in a region where the top five pizzerias are each better than the winners of the other regions.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I celebrated Andre Jackson's announcement w/my first trip to Buffalina:

Margherita - half bacon/half sausage, crispy
Excellent

(My 10th 12-inch pizza since I failed on Buffalina the day after Labor Day, when they took an unexpected extra day off. This time, I was heading back from my first visit to Rocky Neck)

Reaction Score
Was just reading this and my wife, who was reading over my shoulder, goes 'if you have been to more than pof these, you have a problem. Guess I have a problem since I have lived outside of New Haven, Boston, and New York and am well over a dozen without counting some further trips I have made.

Connecticut lands 6 listing, which ranks tied for 4th on the list with Jersey and Pennsylvania, which is not bad considering how small the State's population is compared to the top 3 in New York, Illinois & California.

#51) Roseland, Derby
#46) Zuppardi’s, West Haven
#44) Colony, Stamford
#20) Modern, New Haven
#7) Sally's, New Haven
#1) Pepe's, New Haven

Reaction Score
Was just reading this and my wife, who was reading over my shoulder, goes 'if you have been to more than pof these, you have a problem. Guess I have a problem since I have lived outside of New Haven, Boston, and New York and am well over a dozen without counting some further trips I have made.

Connecticut lands 6 listing, which ranks tied for 4th on the list with Jersey and Pennsylvania, which is not bad considering how small the State's population is compared to the top 3 in New York, Illinois & California.

#51) Roseland, Derby
#44) Colony, Stamford
#20) Modern, New Haven
#7) Sally's, New Haven
#1) Pepe's, New Haven
Zuppardis and Modern are my two favorites. I'm sorry but Pepe's has not made a #1 pie in like 30 years.

Reaction Score

#51) Roseland, Derby
#44) Colony, Stamford
#20) Modern, New Haven
#7) Sally's, New Haven
#1) Pepe's, New Haven
Been to 12 of the top 20.

Reaction Score

#51) Roseland, Derby
#44) Colony, Stamford
#20) Modern, New Haven
#7) Sally's, New Haven
#1) Pepe's, New Haven

Jersey? Take it from me, the pizza here is somewhere very south of lacking. Don't even bother any more.

Reaction Score
If you load a pizza up with onions and hot peppers, any pizza is good. Without them any pizza is meh. Just my opinion. Then I again anything is good with onions and hot peppers.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’ve only been to five of those. Just 1 in CT. Need to up my game. I call BS on some of it though. Pizza my Heart in CA is worthy before some of those joints. Not having Genos on the Chicago deep dish list is wrong.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you load a pizza up with onions and hot peppers, any pizza is good. Without them any pizza is meh. Just my opinion. Then I again anything is good with onions and hot peppers.

Everyone is different. I would not consume any pizza with onions or peppers. I generally only want meet cheese and sauce.

Reaction Score
Been to 12 of the top 20.

I just have to...1) Cloverleaf Pizza - Eastpoint (swear it was St. Clair Shores) MI 2) Monza - Charleston SC, 3) Bebu - Chicago, 4) Pizzeria Vetri - Philly, 5) Papa's - Robbinsville NJ, 6) Roseland - Debry CT, 7) Juliana's- Brooklyn, 8) Colony - Stamford CT, 9) CoalFire - Chicago, 10) Delorenzo's- Robbinsville NJ, 11) Star Tavern - Orange NJ, 12) Regina - Boston, 13) Galleria Umberto - Boston, 14) Modern - New Haven, 15) Lombardi's - NYC, 16) Grimaldi’s- Brooklyn, 17) Pizzeria Bianco - Phoenix, 18) Prince Street - NYC, 19) Santarpio’s - (East) Boston, 20) John's of Bleeker St - NYC, 21) Sally's - New Haven, 22) Buddy's - Detroit, 23) Razza - Jersey City, 24) Pepe's - New Haven

Guess that's why I need to be on cholesterol medicine! LOL. I don't 100% agree with this list. For example, I prefer Kinchley's Tavern in Ramsey over Star Tavern in Orange, I prefer Sottocasa in Brooklyn over the Brooklyn places listed here, I'll take Papa's over Delorenzo's in Robbinsville and Modern over both Sally's and Pepe's in New Haven. Plus, if we're not talking just talking thin crust, I have a soft spot for Willington. That said, this should be fun. Everyone will have different opinions and going out and trying these pies is half the fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Apparently you've never had the Zuppardis "Special".

Reaction Score
I just have to...1) Cloverleaf Pizza - Eastpoint (swear it was St. Clair Shores) MI 2) Monza - Charleston SC, 3) Bebu - Chicago, 4) Pizzeria Vetri - Philly, 5) Papa's - Robbinsville NJ, 6) Roseland - Debry CT, 7) Juliana's- Brooklyn, 8) Colony - Stamford CT, 9) CoalFire - Chicago, 10) Delorenzo's- Robbinsville NJ, 11) Star Tavern - Orange NJ, 12) Regina - Boston, 13) Galleria Umberto - Boston, 14) Modern - New Haven, 15) Lombardi's - NYC, 16) Grimaldi’s- Brooklyn, 17) Pizzeria Bianco - Phoenix, 18) Prince Street - NYC, 19) Santarpio’s - (East) Boston, 20) John's of Bleeker St - NYC, 21) Sally's - New Haven, 22) Buddy's - Detroit, 23) Razza - Jersey City, 24) Pepe's - New Haven

Guess that's why I need to be on cholesterol medicine! LOL. I don't 100% agree with this list. For example, I prefer Kinchley's Tavern in Ramsey over Star Tavern in Orange, I prefer Sottocasa in Brooklyn over the Brooklyn places listed here, I'll take Papa's over Delorenzo's in Robbinsville and Modern over both Sally's and Pepe's in New Haven. Plus, if we're not talking just talking crust, I have a soft spot for Willington. That said, this should be fn. Everyone will have different opinions and going out and trying these pies is half the fun.
I didn't think too much of Star Tavern or really any Jersey pizza (never had the Trenton tomato pies.) North Jersey has awesome italian food though and the best bagels. Modern is probably my favorite now but every pie I've had from Pepe's in New Haven and The Spot have always been great, Sally's disappointed last time. Pequod's is right down the street from me and it's very good and can be awesome when I'm in the mood but it ain't the 4th best pizza place in America, same for Malnati's. Coal Fire is just solid but surprised to see it on any best pizza in America lists. Piece was always good but just not all that close to New Haven. Never had good pizza in Boston.

Is Buddy's really good? Surprised to see Bebu on there, is it really good?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Another top 101 list where Pittsburgh is ignored. Sigh.

Yeah, a lot of pizza sucks here. But there are a few gems. I mean if you're twice a semi-finalist for a James Beard award, what more does one need to do to get your pizza recognized?

I'm kinda bummed I'd never heard about Kinchley's Tavern. I was working in Montclair for much of the summer of 2017 and am a bar pie fan. Enjoyed being close to Star Tavern. Kinchley's wasn't mentioned by anyone I asked about where to go for thin crust/bar pies.

Reaction Score
Another top 101 list where Pittsburgh is ignored. Sigh.

I'm kinda bummed I'd never heard about Kinchley's Tavern. I was working in Montclair for much of the summer of 2017 and am a bar pie fan. Enjoyed being close to Star Tavern. Kinchley's wasn't mentioned by anyone I asked about where to go for thin crust/bar pies.

Kinchley's is on Franklin Turnpike near the Ramsey/Mahwah border just north of Route 17 and Don Bosco. It's very similar to Star, including cash only. It's a bit of a madhouse on the weekends (no reservations) and easier from where I live to get to than Star. It's a big fan favorite in Bergen and Rockand (NY) Counties. Go there on a Sunday late afternoon in the Spring its loaded with youth baseball teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't think too much of Star Tavern or really any Jersey pizza (never had the Trenton tomato pies.) North Jersey has awesome Italian food though and the best bagels. Modern is probably my favorite now but every pie I've had from Pepe's in New Haven and The Spot have always been great, Sally's disappointed last time. Pequod's is right down the street from me and it's very good and can be awesome when I'm in the mood but it ain't the 4th best pizza place in America, same for Malnati's. Coal Fire is just solid but surprised to see it on any best pizza in America lists. Piece was always good but just not all that close to New Haven. Never had good pizza in Boston.

Is Buddy's really good? Surprised to see Bebu on there, is it really good?

To me, Star is a 'bucket' list pizza joint in Jersey that has to be crossed-off and I have only been there once (took the kids there when we went to Turtleback Zoo). As noted, I prefer Kinchley's in Ramsey as the pizza (to me) is a bit better and its a lot easier to get to from where I live in. Have you been to Razza in Jersey City? I've been there once, thought it was good. The pro's have it ranked above most of the NYC joints.

I 100% agree on the bagels in Jersey.

As for New Haven, I am surprised that Bar did not make the list. From what I have heard Buffina in Guilford should be on the list, too; but, then again, there are advantages of a good pizza place not being on anyone's list. I would also take Rossini's in Cheshire over a bunch of the places noted.

I don't remember some of the places I have been, too, like Bebu in Chicago, as that we prep material for a fun night with some old friends in River North. Year's ago, I was in sales and consulting and had Detroit as my territory. Buddy's was a bucket list item for the area. The orginal is not in the best neighborhood; but, its a short run off of the highway. It was OK; but, New Haven style pizza is my thing, so others may have a different opinion. Now, if you really want to cross-off a bucket list item in Detroit, find a friend with a boat in the area and go to the Jobbie Nooner (do not look-up pictures of it while at work or around kids, wives, etc.).

Reaction Score
To me, Star is a 'bucket' list pizza joint in Jersey that has to be crossed-off and I have only been there once (took the kids there when we went to Turtleback Zoo). As noted, I prefer Kinchley's in Ramsey as the pizza (to me) is a bit better and its a lot easier to get to from where I live in. Have you been to Razza in Jersey City? I've been there once, thought it was good. The pro's have it ranked above most of the NYC joints.

I 100% agree on the bagels in Jersey.

As for New Haven, I am surprised that Bar did not make the list. From what I have heard Buffina in Guilford should be on the list, too; but, then again, there are advantages of a good pizza place not being on anyone's list. I would also take Rossini's in Cheshire over a bunch of the places noted.

I don't remember some of the places I have been, too, like Bebu in Chicago, as that we prep material for a fun night with some old friends in River North. Year's ago, I was in sales and consulting and had Detroit as my territory. Buddy's was a bucket list item for the area. The orginal is not in the best neighborhood; but, its a short run off of the highway. It was OK; but, New Haven style pizza is my thing, so others may have a different opinion. Now, if you really want to cross-off a bucket list item in Detroit, find a friend with a boat in the area and go to the Jobbie Nooner (do not look-up pictures of it while at work or around kids, wives, etc.).
Have you tried Ernie's in NH or Jimmy's in Milford?

Reaction Score
Have you tried Ernie's in NH or Jimmy's in Milford?

No, I grew-up as a kid eating Roseland in the Valley, the lived on Rossini's in Cheshire, the got my liscence and hit New Haven regularly, a stint at Willington while at UConn and then moved out-of-state. I don't get to CT often.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sally's Apizza Answers Increasing Calls to Open for Lunch and Dinner 7 Days a Week

NOTE: October 7th and 8th, 2019 Will be Free Pizza Days to Launch Expanded Schedule
Press release didn't say so, but I was thinking that maybe you have to actually order something paid to get the free pizza. Might check it out as a city resident on a Tuesday.

In other news, I felt obligated to pop into the Newington Artichoke Basille's for a Sicilian slice on my way to the Northampton Jazz Festival today.

Too thin, too crunchy, and not as buttery/greasy/flavorfully fatty as 14th St NYC. Too bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom