B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
We have very little in common with NBig-12 schools as well.
Really, we don't? WVU was in the BE, Cincinnati, UCF, Houston in the AAC with us. Staying in the BIG EAST will be a death nell to our sports teams. When Geno retires, do you want to best coach or someone on the cheap? Me, I want the best coaches, football drives the bus, I get it you only root for basketball, I root for basketball, but the Big 12 will be great for us. We can be in a NY6 bowl in 5 years. We got the football coach now, we can win now.

I know you'd rather stay in the Big East, however we can't survive as an Independent, only one school can, and that's not us.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nope. I meant not lose Mora. You should really stop with the passive aggressive insults.
I'm supposed to determine what you meant (as opposed to what you posted)? There was nothing passive aggressive about my comment, it was a straight and direct response to a statement of yours wishing pain on UConn football, returning the sentiment to you.

Reaction Score
Really, we don't? WVU was in the BE, Cincinnati, UCF, Houston in the AAC with us. Staying in the BIG EAST will be a death nell to our sports teams. When Geno retires, do you want to best coach or someone on the cheap? Me, I want the best coaches, football drives the bus, I get it you only root for basketball, I root for basketball, but the Big 12 will be great for us. We can be in a NY6 bowl in 5 years. We got the football coach now, we can win now.

I know you'd rather stay in the Big East, however we can't survive as an Independent, only one school can, and that's not us.
What does any of what you're saying have to do with my post?

I don't really care what happens but I know that the Big 12 is the move. I love the Big East and will continue to love the Big East if UConn leaves just as I loved the Big East when UConn was in the AAC.
Even though I think it will slightly hurt UConn in men's basketball which I care most about I think we have to join the Big 12 if it's there and not only am I kind of hoping for it I think it will happen. I also root for UConn football and every other sport UConn plays, don't think I've missed a UConn football game even when they were losing every single game.

What I don't like is a bunch of the arguments thrown out around here trying to sell it. We aren't similar to the schools in the Big 12. We aren't similar to the schools in the Big East either.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The success of UConn as a whole has nothing to do with women's basketball. No one cares about it nationally.

Football and MBB drive the bus.
I'm going to disagree. I don't think they really matter to realignment, but they do contribute greatly to our brand value. I was out of the country recently and when someone found it I attended UConn, the first thing they said was doesn't their women's basketball team win the championship every year? When I told him that the men's team or national champions he was surprised.

The amazing success of the woman's team is very much a part of our brand. For what it's worth Yormark has mentioned the success of the woman's team as part of what makes us attractive. No one's offering us solely because of it, but, as I'm fond of saying lately, it's not nothing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My prediction:

The current conference alignments are predicated on a cable-based revenue model that no longer exists. It is also based on a talent allocation model that no longer exists due to the NIL and the Transfer Portal. The next 10 years of realignment are going to make the last 22 years look like an era of stability. A lot is going to change over the next 10 years.

I am in favor of a move to the Big 12 because it positions UConn well for the next move. I also wouldn't be that upset if it doesn't happen. A lot is going to change soon, and I think UConn will have more opportunities.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am in favor of a move to the Big 12 because it positions UConn well for the next move. I also wouldn't be that upset if it doesn't happen. A lot is going to change soon, and I think UConn will have more opportunities.

So this is basically it.

There’s going to be some wild (insert profane word starting with S that can be used on every website on earth except this one) happening down the road and if you have a seat at the current table, you’re in a far better spot than if you do not. At some point there are just no more chairs and UConn not currently having one is definitely a concern.

Reaction Score
There are no permissions from Mansfield residents needed to build in the athletic campus behind Toscano. Nor are there any environmental issues. They did and environmental study when they built Toscano. There is absolutely zero need to make infrastructures for six weekends in a year. Tailgating feathers the traffic coming into and out of the stadium. That plus smart traffic management would handle the load just the way it does in every college stadium across America. It is such a Connecticut thing to believe you need a limited access highway with an offramp leading into stadium parking.
Behind Mansfield Supply would give access to 44, 195 and north eagleville to 32. Tear down the prison side of Mansfield trading school for parking and shuttle service

Reaction Score
Disagree. It's the perfect location for it. Having all athletics located in one area lets you overlap parking so you have less lot coverage. It's also going to be less of a nicer than if you put it on the the highest ground in the area. But if you're writing the check, I'll put it wherever you want! ;)

(By the way, it's Dairy Bar.)
There’s also a Dairy Barn

CL82

Reaction Score
Behind Mansfield Supply would give access to 44, 195 and north eagleville to 32. Tear down the prison side of Mansfield trading school for parking and shuttle service
I never thought about this site before. It's interesting. I like the athletic campus better, but the point you make about access is a good one. Also, it probably would require Mansfield approval. As you get far enough north on campus you cross over some dividing line, that I don't really understand, and Mansfield approvals are required.

CL82

Reaction Score
There’s also a Dairy Barn
Maybe, but if you're looking to buy ice cream on the UConn campus, you are going to the Dairy Bar.

Reaction Score
There are no permissions from Mansfield residents needed to build in the athletic campus behind Toscano. Nor are there any environmental issues. They did and environmental study when they built Toscano. There is absolutely zero need to make infrastructures for six weekends in a year. Tailgating feathers the traffic coming into and out of the stadium. That plus smart traffic management would handle the load just the way it does in every college stadium across America. It is such a Connecticut thing to believe you need a limited access highway with an offramp leading into stadium parking.
Between Ice rink and South Eagleville?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So this is basically it.

There’s going to be some wild (insert profane word starting with S that can be used on every website on earth except this one) happening down the road and if you have a seat at the current table, you’re in a far better spot than if you do not. At some point there are just no more chairs and UConn not currently having one is definitely a concern.

The linked thread basically covered my expectations for how the NIL and Transfer Portal (I also touch on streaming and the changes to the CFP) will impact college sports, and 4 months after making the first post in the thread, two mid-majors made the Final Four.

Almost every post in this current thread is based on several wrong assumptions:

1) ESPN will continue to have more revenue than every other broadcaster because ESPN can charge about $9 a cable subscriber whether they watch ESPN or not, and ESPN wants to broadcast household names in its main TV slots.
2) The SEC will continue to be dominant in hoarding talent because it is willing to cheat at a level that no other league is willing to do.
3) Players will happily spend their career being 3rd string on an SEC or Big 10 team rather than playing somewhere where they can actually play on the field.
4) Access to the College Football Playoff is limited so players that want to play in it have to go to a small handful of programs.

Every one of those assumptions was true 5 years ago, and is no longer true today. The SEC added Texas and Oklahoma and the Big 10 added UCLA and USC out of fear. Those two leagues can see the same fact pattern I just laid out and know that their competitive advantages have shrunk dramatically in the last two years.

CL82

Reaction Score
It is located of the first step in the process.;)
Yep, but you don't buy it at the barn you buy it at the Dairy Bar.

CL82

Reaction Score
Except that BYU is moving to the Big 12 and Big East basketball teams only make $6 million, but other than that, great points.
Do they currently make $6 million? I thought it was less.

Reaction Score
Do they currently make $6 million? I thought it was less.
it is, but mid-5 million range I think. Notre Dame makes $10 from the ACC but I have to think part of that is a football “ supplement.” And we’ve the new B12 tv deal likely pushing out some NBE prime time content, one has to wonder how much the next round will be worth. I read $7-7.5 but that was pre-Big12 FOX DEAL. People here posted $10 million but I imagine that is largely wishful thinking. What do you think the NBE is worth with no UConn?

Reaction Score
From UConn Report 2020 (projected numbers)

Big East:

Value of Big East deal with FOX: $4.2 million per year, per team

Value of current deal with SNY: About $1 million per year

Expected value of football deal with SNY: About $1 million per year (now CBSSN?)

Potential football buy game: $1 million per year

Bowl game payout: $310,000, based on 2019

Men’s Basketball Fund: $1.6 million

AAC exit fee: $1 million per year, after 2020

TOTAL: $8.1 million

Plus School licensing agreements

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The linked thread basically covered my expectations for how the NIL and Transfer Portal (I also touch on streaming and the changes to the CFP) will impact college sports, and 4 months after making the first post in the thread, two mid-majors made the Final Four.

Almost every post in this current thread is based on several wrong assumptions:

1) ESPN will continue to have more revenue than every other broadcaster because ESPN can charge about $9 a cable subscriber whether they watch ESPN or not, and ESPN wants to broadcast household names in its main TV slots.
2) The SEC will continue to be dominant in hoarding talent because it is willing to cheat at a level that no other league is willing to do.
3) Players will happily spend their career being 3rd string on an SEC or Big 10 team rather than playing somewhere where they can actually play on the field.
4) Access to the College Football Playoff is limited so players that want to play in it have to go to a small handful of programs.

Every one of those assumptions was true 5 years ago, and is no longer true today. The SEC added Texas and Oklahoma and the Big 10 added UCLA and USC out of fear. Those two leagues can see the same fact pattern I just laid out and know that their competitive advantages have shrunk dramatically in the last two years.

I would spend zero time worrying about the SEC and Big Ten. The game is over and they both won. They killed the Big East, they killed the Big 12 twice, they just killed the Pac12 and they’re looking at their watches waiting to kill the ACC.

“Fear” for those conferences involves only making 15 times what UConn makes in rights fees.

There are folks here who think that we’re going to have no problem keeping up with the crowd when schools like RU are making a half to three quarters of a billion dollars more than we do over ten years.

Those people are out of their tree. We just need a seat at the second level of tables in order to be relevant when whatever happens in ten years happens.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That's silly stuff. Rutgers hasn't improved?
Silly is holding up Rutgers as an example. It's akin to does a dead cat bounce?

RU had a decent FB program that is no better now. They have the money to keep Pikell a longer, thats about it. Other than money they are really not better off.

ND's program was dying and caught a lifeline via the ACC bowl tie-ins. Still can't think of anyone else who is in a significantly better place athletically.

Miami? Seriously, they were the Alabama of CFB before they moved and haven't been heard from since.

Reaction Score
I would spend zero time worrying about the SEC and Big Ten. The game is over and they both won. They killed the Big East, they killed the Big 12 twice, they just killed the Pac12 and they’re looking at their watches waiting to kill the ACC.

“Fear” for those conferences involves only making 15 times what UConn makes in rights fees.

There are folks here who think that we’re going to have no problem keeping up with the crowd when schools like RU are making a half to three quarters of a billion dollars more than we do over ten years.

Those people are out of their tree. We just need a seat at the second level of tables in order to be relevant when whatever happens in ten years happens.
Keep up with Rutgers in what? Basketball?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

If you are right, then why haven't 50+ D1 schools shut down their athletic programs? You should let them know that it is already over.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The prison has already been torn down.

A new technical school is being built there.

Reaction Score
In 1960, schools like Bradley, St. Bonaventure, Detroit, St. Louis, Drake, San Francisco, were very relevant on the national scene, top 25 schools. A decade later, St. Bonaventure, Drake and schools like Duquesne were relevant. Today all these private Catholics and small privates like Drake are irrelevant on the national scene.

No one laments the fact that these schools have totally dropped off. No one thinks of them for what they once were.

This is something the BE has to worry about. If the P2/4/5 break away, there will be a momentary collective outrage for the schools left behind, and then 3 years later, schools like St. Mary's and Butler and Xavier and Seton Hall will be forgotten, the way people think of St. Bonaventure today.

I'm not sure if they'll make special exceptions for schools like Villanova, Gonzaga and Georgetown; it seems they should. But nothing is guaranteed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom