B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Where is Kansas going to go? Where are any of them going to go? That is the secret strength of the big 12. The stability that comes from lack of options.
I'm hoping they go with UConn to the BIG! I hope I live that long to see it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
in a perfect world, sure, but I doubt it's happening.

Reaction Score
BY nation: there’s been so much already posted on the pros and cons of moving to the B12 or staying put. As I mentioned in another thread, my concern with leaving the BE is mainly twofold. 1. We’d have to build a new football stadium at a cost of what? $500M or more. No amount of revenue sharing will pay for this. 2. I point to Isaiah Abraham’s comment made on the day of his commitment.

“I chose UConn because I love the program, I love the organization and obviously coach Hurley,” Abraham told 247Sports. “My relationship with Coach Hurley and Coach Murray is really good and they’ve been recruiting me for a while now. It started about a year and a half ago and ever since then I’ve felt good about the relationship. I also love the recruiting they’ve done from the DMV. Last year they had 2023 commits that I knew like Solo (Solomon Ball) and Jayden (Ross) so there was a connection of knowing the team a little there. It was just everything. Also being in the Big East, they just won the championship so I know they’re a winning program.”

ALSO BEING IN THE BIG EAST. WOW, WHAT A SHOCKER.

How many other recruits feel this same way. I suspect the answer is many.

Reaction Score
Just need to have a wrestling team that can go toe to toe with Penn State by then.

Reaction Score
BY nation: there’s been so much already posted on the pros and cons of moving to the B12 or staying put. As I mentioned in another thread, my concern with leaving the BE is mainly twofold. 1. We’d have to build a new football stadium at a cost of what? $500M or more. No amount of revenue sharing will pay for this. 2. I point to Isaiah Abraham’s comment made on the day of his commitment.

“I chose UConn because I love the program, I love the organization and obviously coach Hurley,” Abraham told 247Sports. “My relationship with Coach Hurley and Coach Murray is really good and they’ve been recruiting me for a while now. It started about a year and a half ago and ever since then I’ve felt good about the relationship. I also love the recruiting they’ve done from the DMV. Last year they had 2023 commits that I knew like Solo (Solomon Ball) and Jayden (Ross) so there was a connection of knowing the team a little there. It was just everything. Also being in the Big East, they just won the championship so I know they’re a winning program.”

Where did you get we have to build a $500MM stadium?

Reaction Score
I agree going to the Big 12 is scary but let’s look at the alternatives
(My strategy was to use the B12 to get the ACC to grab us . )
The option sooner or later is to reduce our budget to high Big East standards unless:
In our best case the football team catches fire and somehow earns enough revenue to be in the black , lessening the deficit . Is anyone willing to pay us $15,000,000 for our Indy football media rights or better yet accept us into a P5 conference as a football only.
Plus the Big East thrives and we remain a BB power. That’s the Win Win.
Or door number 2
Which is a lot more likely
Football is a dead man walking and it’s only a matter of time before the axe falls but The Big East remains a viable conference and basketball thrives. ( the Villanova outcome)
Door number 3
Also possible the Big East withers on the vine along with football bleeding dollars . Basketball is barely self sustaining financially when it’s successful.
and that scenario is the death spiral for us a a major player.
So UConn has a huge decision.
Like my mother use to say
We have Champagne taste on a beer budget. It not a sustainable model .
(Beer use to be cheap )

Reaction Score
What are Big 12 football stadium standards?
To put it in perspective, Rentchler field seats 38,000 and the smallest Big 12 stadium is 46,000 with the rest at 60,000 to 100,000.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cincinnati and Houston are 40,000. UCF is 45,000. Baylor is 45,000. Kansas is 47,000. TCU and Kansas State are 50,000.
And the rent is designed to expand to about 45k I believe.

Reaction Score
This reminds of me of listening to Arnold Dean on WTIC when UConn joined the original Big East. So many naysayers. Every reason in the world why they wouldn't be successful. The biggest being "Why would any kid from the city want to go to college in the middle of nowhere, they'll never be able recruit". It went on and on and on.

CL82

Reaction Score
To put it in perspective, Rentchler field seats 38,000 and the smallest Big 12 stadium is 46,000 with the rest at 60,000 to 100,000.
It's seating capacity is 38,000 but including standing room it's capacity is 40,000. Stans can be added to bring the attendance up to 42,500 as was done for the game against Michigan, which sold out. The footings are in place to take it to 55,000, if needed.

CL82

Reaction Score
We’d have to build a new football stadium at a cost of what? $500M or more. No amount of revenue sharing will pay for this.
We?

In any event actually, 10 years of revenue sharing would pay for a $500 million stadium, because... math. Also half billion dollars seems a little high on the stadium cost.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A view from afar. Football has been and will always be the standard by which colleges and universities are judged. Going forward, Regardless of conference affiliation or not, if UConn can attain a .500 record or better against average to better than average teams will go a long way in making UConn attractive on the gridiron.

Being in a P5 conference will also make UConn attractive to more of the top-tier recruits. Rome was not built in one day. One step at a time. UConn was bowl-eligible last year. Do it again this time with a plus .500 record. Then, do it again to the point where UConn football will have earned some respect among the high mid-majors.

The basketball programs can hold their own in any P5 conference in the country. In most cases, they would be the dominant team. Unfortunately, UConn can’t ride strictly on the laurels of its basketball programs. Football attracts the masses, the sponsors, and the BIG revenue dollars. It always has, and always will. :cool: This post is not a revelation, just a random comment.

Reaction Score
You must be an internet journalist. No editor for you. Even your upgrade number is way off.

Reaction Score
I’m
This reminds of me of listening to Arnold Dean on WTIC when UConn joined the original Big East. So many naysayers. Every reason in the world why they wouldn't be successful. The biggest being "Why would any kid from the city want to go to college in the middle of nowhere, they'll never be able recruit". It went on and on and on.
Ok let’s see. UConn was in the AAC from 2013 to 2019. Won the championship in 2014 with Calhoun’s recruits. Then appeared in the NCAA tourney in 2016 with a quick exit. No other tourney appearances until 2021, 2022 and 2023, winning it all. You tell me that being in the AAC for 7 years produced positive results. I think not. Not until we returned to the BE did we have multiple year tourney invites. Look at the stretch from 1990 to 2012. 18 appearances in 23 years. Tell me being a member of the Big East was and now is again is not important in recruiting talent.

NCAA tournament appearances
1951, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1976, 1979, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996*, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2021, 2022, 2023

Reaction Score

Right now we recruit as good as anybody…im not sure we would in the big 12

Reaction Score
The big 12 is literally the American or worse. We will just be playing Midwest schools I don't care about. Big 10 or status quo are only two options. We are thriving in basketball and baseball, went to bowl game with worst QB ever. I would rather be independent in all sports vs big 12 or acc. Acc is dying. Big 12 is dead. Pac 12 is dead. Do any of you like winning NCs in basketball? Big east is best basketball conference, msg, recruiting, rivalries, drama, it's perfect. If we are patient, Hurley mora baseball, big 10 will want us.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
IMO, the worst case with joining the B12 is seeing multiple schools jump ship to greener pastures over time. Our basketball program likely would’ve continued to thrive in the AAC if the coaching staff had more focus, so not concerned with joining any competitive conference with respect to hoops.

Joining would bolster the bank account & put us in a competitive conference for all sports - with the (painfully obnoxious) “power 5” label. Even if multiple schools eventually get poached, the laggards would likely stay together & add other laggards from other P5 conferences. It’s not the best fit, but it’s an attractive option & moves the ball forward in multiple areas.

I love the Big East & would love to make staying work long term - just don’t think it’s a possibility if the vision is to maintain relevance, let alone enhance performance at D1 level in football.

Reaction Score
A view from afar. Football has been and will always be the standard by which colleges and universities are judged. Going forward, Regardless of conference affiliation or not, if UConn can attain a .500 record or better against average to better than average teams will go a long way in making UConn attractive on the gridiron.

Being in a P5 conference will also make UConn attractive to more of the top-tier recruits. Rome was not built in one day. One step at a time. UConn was bowl-eligible last year. Do it again this time with a plus .500 record. Then, do it again to the point where UConn football will have earned some respect among the high mid-majors.

The basketball programs can hold their own in any P5 conference in the country. In most cases, they would be the dominant team. Unfortunately, UConn can’t ride strictly on the laurels of its basketball programs. Football attracts the masses, the sponsors, and the BIG revenue dollars. It always has, and always will. :cool: This post is not a revelation, just a random comment.
Then tell me was year you expect UConn football to be respectful. They are lucky to have half the stadium filled for most of their games. Put a decent product on the field and then we can have a further discussion. Winning half your games is the goal for success? Against teams that are so below the talent level of teams in the Big 12? Let’s play Michigan again. That went well.

Reaction Score
We?

In any event actually, 10 years of revenue sharing would pay for a $500 million stadium, because... math. Also half billion dollars seems a little high on the stadium cost.
You’re making the assumption we would receive $50M/year. Seems very optimistic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom