B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
IMO, the worst case with joining the B12 is seeing multiple schools jump ship to greener pastures over time. Our basketball program likely would’ve continued to thrive in the AAC if the coaching staff had more focus, so not concerned with joining any competitive conference with respect to hoops.

Joining would bolster the bank account & put us in a competitive conference for all sports - with the (painfully obnoxious) “power 5” label. Even if multiple schools eventually get poached, the laggards would likely stay together & add other laggards from other P5 conferences. It’s not the best fit, but it’s an attractive option & moves the ball forward in multiple areas.

I love the Big East & would love to make staying work long term - just don’t think it’s a possibility if the vision is to maintain relevance, let alone enhance performance at D1 level in football.
Our football would get better…know doubt

Reaction Score
I’m

Ok let’s see. UConn was in the AAC from 2013 to 2019. Won the championship in 2014 with Calhoun’s recruits. Then appeared in the NCAA tourney in 2016 with a quick exit. No other tourney appearances until 2021, 2022 and 2023, winning it all. You tell me that being in the AAC for 7 years produced positive results. I think not. Not until we returned to the BE did we have multiple year tourney invites. Look at the stretch from 1990 to 2012. 18 appearances in 23 years. Tell me being a member of the Big East was and now is again is not important in recruiting talent.

NCAA tournament appearances
1951, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1976, 1979, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996*, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2021, 2022, 2023
I agree with your post. We should not join the AAC.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Then tell me was year you expect UConn football to be respectful. They are lucky to have half the stadium filled for most of their games. Put a decent product on the field and then we can have a further discussion. Winning half your games is the goal for success? Against teams that are so below the talent level of teams in the Big 12? Let’s play Michigan again. That went well.
Winning half of your games is a start. Then you go from there. UConn has already put the wheels in motion to turn its FB program around by finding and hiring a “quality” head coach in Jim Mora.

You sound like a very angry and disgruntled fan. You have a right to be. UConn’s FB program was an embarrassment for years. There is nowhere for them to go but up.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step (which has already been taken). You are correct. Everybody likes a winner. Build it and they will come.

Only the most die-hard and loyal fans will go to the stadium every week and watch their team get embarrassed. I couldn’t. My enthusiasm and commitment would match that of the administration.

Some schools want to win more than others. You know which schools I’m referring to. Do what you have to do (short of cheating), and put a winner on the field. You’ve got a coach and staff that can make it happen, now pull in the recruits that can make it happen. In any field of athletic competition, you’ve got to have the horses to win!! Now go get them.

When you join the BIG 12, you can’t worry about schools possibly jumping ship. You can only control the things you can. Don’t be concerned about someone else’s house. Clean and get your house in order first.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Winning half of your games is a start. Then you go from there. UConn has already put the wheels in motion to turn its FB program around by finding and hiring a “quality” head coach in Jim Mora.

You sound like a very angry and disgruntled fan. You have a right to be. UConn’s FB program was an embarrassment for years. There is nowhere for them to go but up.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step (which has already been taken). You are correct. Everybody likes a winner. Build it and they will come.

Only the most die-hard and loyal fans will go to the stadium every week and watch their team get embarrassed. I couldn’t. My enthusiasm and commitment would match that of the administration.

Some schools want to win more than others. You know which schools I’m referring to. Do what you have to do (short of cheating), and put a winner on the field. You’ve got a coach and staff that can make it happen, now pull in the recruits that can make it happen. In any field of athletic competition, you’ve got to have the horses to win!! Now go get them.

When you join the BIG 12, you can’t worry about schools possibly jumping ship. You can only control the things you can. Don’t be concerned about someone else’s house. Clean and get your house in order first.
They were hard to watch before Mora got here

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
They were hard to watch before Mora got here
Yes, that was my point. As you recruit better players, your record will improve.

Reaction Score

Honestly, I’m neither angry or disgruntled. It’s more of indifference. I just want to jeopardize a blue blood basketball program for a failing football program. I have followed UConn BB and football for 50 years and the football program would be better served in Division II.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I’m neither angry or disgruntled. It’s more of indifference. I just want to jeopardize a blue blood basketball program for a failing football program. I have followed UConn BB and football for 50 years and the football program would be better served in Division II.
*don’t want to jeopardize

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You’re making the assumption we would receive $50M/year. Seems very optimistic.
It's based upon the fact that the current big 12 meteorites steel is $31 million and their current anticipated share of the college football playoffs is $15 million. Both of those numbers are anticipated to go up.

Reaction Score
Men’s basketball—we remain an excellent program. Recruiting is still good, but drops off a notch as we lose our northeast identity. Still a sweet 16 contender every year.

Women’s basketball—unchanged as long as Geno coaches. After that, who knows. But the brand is completely independent of conference affiliation.

Football—a joke. Lots of 50 point losses. But hey, it makes money.

Baseball—becomes a national power

Where does hockey go? I leave that to people who know more about it.

Other sports are definitely improved.

Reaction Score
Ok everyone, if top 50 football program is what you want, a new quarterback makes that happen next year. We had the worst QB to ever play and made a bowl game. Best men's and women's basketball programs by a mile, not even close. Top ten baseball team. So concerned about money. Why? Im concerned with championships. Are you worried UConn is going bankrupt? I don't get it. Big 12 is conference usa now. No one cares about any team in big 12 except Kansas basketball. And we play Kansas anyway. Nonsense, status quo or big 10.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
BY nation: there’s been so much already posted on the pros and cons of moving to the B12 or staying put. As I mentioned in another thread, my concern with leaving the BE is mainly twofold. 1. We’d have to build a new football stadium at a cost of what? $500M or more. No amount of revenue sharing will pay for this. 2. I point to Isaiah Abraham’s comment made on the day of his commitment.

“I chose UConn because I love the program, I love the organization and obviously coach Hurley,” Abraham told 247Sports. “My relationship with Coach Hurley and Coach Murray is really good and they’ve been recruiting me for a while now. It started about a year and a half ago and ever since then I’ve felt good about the relationship. I also love the recruiting they’ve done from the DMV. Last year they had 2023 commits that I knew like Solo (Solomon Ball) and Jayden (Ross) so there was a connection of knowing the team a little there. It was just everything. Also being in the Big East, they just won the championship so I know they’re a winning program.”

ALSO BEING IN THE BIG EAST. WOW, WHAT A SHOCKER.

How many other recruits feel this same way. I suspect the answer is many.
Did you happen to see everything he said prior to the Big East comment? To me it sounded like a barely significant add on, like getting a shiny new keychain from the dealership when you buy a new car.

Reaction Score
You think UConn would be better served playing at Southern Connecticut State University level?

Reaction Score
Men’s basketball—we remain an excellent program. Recruiting is still good, but drops off a notch as we lose our northeast identity. Still a sweet 16 contender every year.

Women’s basketball—unchanged as long as Geno coaches. After that, who knows. But the brand is completely independent of conference affiliation.

Football—a joke. Lots of 50 point losses. But hey, it makes money.

Baseball—becomes a national power

Where does hockey go? I leave that to people who know more about it.

Other sports are definitely improved.
You think UConn would be better served playing at Southern Connecticut State University level?
I’ll answer your question this way. SCSU and UConn would be a more competitive game than playing B12 opponents.

Reaction Score
You sound just like those people in the 80’s that felt we didn’t belong in the Big East because we couldn’t compete.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is A-Dub.

LOL. You need to create new user names to make it appear that there is a real number of fans against this move.

I'll tell you what, when the move does happen I'll buy you tickets to PC-Seton Hall. And an Arby's dinner.

Reaction Score
You’re all delusional. Face facts. The football program sucks. How many of you hold season tickets? Did you all enjoy the Michigan game last year? That’s what you’re wishing for. Yes, we lost a lot of games in the early Big East years, but weren’t blown out by 50 points like we would playing the B10 B12 schools. I know it’s hard to admit the truth, but those are the facts.
I will personally drive the 2 hours every Saturday 6 games a year, sit in the crown in shorts and shirtless regardless of weather, and watch us lose by 60+ every game to get a B12 invite. And I say this as someone who thinks it's an obvious accept to join the B12, but we'll be fine regardless

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom