B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s just not a great location for it. It really should be across from Towers, next to the Dairy Barn. Best of that traffic doesn’t have to go through campus to get there. That’s true for basketball too, but they already made that mistake.
Disagree. It's the perfect location for it. Having all athletics located in one area lets you overlap parking so you have less lot coverage. It's also going to be less of a nicer than if you put it on the the highest ground in the area. But if you're writing the check, I'll put it wherever you want! ;)

(By the way, it's Dairy Bar.)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's still about money. If the number is big enough, we go. If not, we stay. It's anyone's guess at what the number should be.

Here's a better use of time. Name the athletic department that has made out the best after they switched from a former BCS conference to a P5 conference? i.e., TCU/Utah, etc., don't count. Use any criteria you wish, except revenue. The record isn't very pretty.

The BE teams (Miami, BC, VT, Cuse, Pitt, UL, WVa) not great
The B12 teams (Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, Mizzou, UT, OU) ouch, meh and TBD
The ACC teams (MD, Rutgers) LOL
The P12 teams (USC, UCLA) might have the best chance.

The answer is probably Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Ok everyone, if top 50 football program is what you want, a new quarterback makes that happen next year. We had the worst QB to ever play and made a bowl game. Best men's and women's basketball programs by a mile, not even close. Top ten baseball team. So concerned about money. Why? Im concerned with championships. Are you worried UConn is going bankrupt? I don't get it. Big 12 is conference usa now. No one cares about any team in big 12 except Kansas basketball. And we play Kansas anyway. Nonsense, status quo or big 10.
You’ve stated this way better than I did.

Reaction Score
Ok everyone, if top 50 football program is what you want, a new quarterback makes that happen next year. We had the worst QB to ever play and made a bowl game. Best men's and women's basketball programs by a mile, not even close. Top ten baseball team. So concerned about money. Why? Im concerned with championships. Are you worried UConn is going bankrupt? I don't get it. Big 12 is conference usa now. No one cares about any team in big 12 except Kansas basketball. And we play Kansas anyway. Nonsense, status quo or big 10.
Did you have a problem with the Big East when it had Louisville, Marquette, Cincinnati, DePaul, South Florida all from Conference USA in it?

A lot of people consider that the best basketball conference ever.

Reaction Score
Here's a better use of time. Name the athletic department that has made out the best after they switched from a former BCS conference to a P5 conference? i.e., TCU/Utah, etc., don't count.

TCU and Utah both perfectly represent our current football situation and they have done very well in their new P5 conference.

Miami is a basketball program thriving in their new P5 conference.
Rutgers has also improved their basketball fortunes since leaving the Big East.

Basketball is all about the coach, we'll be fine as long as we have Hurley, there is no logical reason to think otherwise. The B12's goal is to be the best basketball conference in the country, so they fit us like a glove, and don't rule out the possibility of the B12 adding St John's and Nova at some point. They want to negotiate a separate TV deal for basketball which would elimate traditonal problems of being hybrid.

Reaction Score
What if they win a Natty in a third conference (fourth if you count the BE and the NBE)? Has anyone beside UConn even won as a member of two different conferences?
I was thinking about this the other day also. How far do we go back? 1985?

Louisville won in the Metro Conference in 1986 and if you count the 2013 championship they had to vacate the Big East in 2013.

I can't think of another one. Anyone?

Reaction Score
It's still about money. If the number is big enough, we go. If not, we stay. It's anyone's guess at what the number should be.

Here's a better use of time. Name the athletic department that has made out the best after they switched from a former BCS conference to a P5 conference? i.e., TCU/Utah, etc., don't count. Use any criteria you wish, except revenue. The record isn't very pretty.

The BE teams (Miami, BC, VT, Cuse, Pitt, UL, WVa) not great
The B12 teams (Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, Mizzou, UT, OU) ouch, meh and TBD
The ACC teams (MD, Rutgers) LOL
The P12 teams (USC, UCLA) might have the best chance.

The answer is probably Notre Dame.
That's silly stuff. Rutgers hasn't improved?

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this the other day also. How far do we go back? 1985?

Louisville won in the Metro Conference in 1986 and if you count the 2013 championship they had to vacate the Big East in 2013.

I can't think of another one. Anyone?
There’s only been a handful of teams to even win 2 championships.

If you count the OBE and NBE as 2 separate conferences, then Villanova has done it as well.

I think UConn and Louisville are the only ones to do it in distinctly different conferences, not counting the B12 formerly being the Big 8 or whatever

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There’s only been a handful of teams to even win 2 championships.

If you count the OBE and NBE as 2 separate conferences, then Villanova has done it as well.

I think UConn and Louisville are the only ones to do it in distinctly different conferences, not counting the B12 formerly being the Big 8 or whatever
I think it is far more reasonable to view the B-12 (where Kansas won their two most recent national titles) as a different conference than the B-8 (where they won their first two) than it is to view the BE where Nova won their two most recent titles as a different conference than the BE in 1985.

Reaction Score
What's preventing UConn from winning championships while in the B12? No one seems to care about any team except Villanova in the NBE. No one who follows UConn baseball believed they were top ten. That was in one poll, there must be five of those.

Reaction Score
D2 Football is a death nell, I guess you don't care about any athletic teams at UConn, so you can be happy. Sorry basketball doesn't drive the bus. PC - UConn boring...UConn - Kansas that is what I'm looking forward to in Basketball and Football. Big East is a bunch of private school, UConn is a state school...
Right. From an institutional standpoint we have very little in common with the NBE schools. We are a much better fit for the Big 12, especially if you’re looking at the long term ramifications.

Reaction Score
I’m

Ok let’s see. UConn was in the AAC from 2013 to 2019. Won the championship in 2014 with Calhoun’s recruits. Then appeared in the NCAA tourney in 2016 with a quick exit. No other tourney appearances until 2021, 2022 and 2023, winning it all. You tell me that being in the AAC for 7 years produced positive results. I think not. Not until we returned to the BE did we have multiple year tourney invites. Look at the stretch from 1990 to 2012. 18 appearances in 23 years. Tell me being a member of the Big East was and now is again is not important in recruiting talent.

NCAA tournament appearances
1951, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1976, 1979, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996*, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2021, 2022, 2023
Explain Perno vs Calhoun? Explain the bad Ollie vs Hurley?

Reaction Score
Right. From an institutional standpoint we have very little in common with the NBE schools. We are a much better fit for the Big 12, especially if you’re looking at the long term ramifications.
We have very little in common with NBig-12 schools as well.

Reaction Score
Then tell me was year you expect UConn football to be respectful. They are lucky to have half the stadium filled for most of their games. Put a decent product on the field and then we can have a further discussion. Winning half your games is the goal for success? Against teams that are so below the talent level of teams in the Big 12? Let’s play Michigan again. That went well.
Give Mora the same consideration you gave Hurley, about 3 years unless you were one of the manics that wanted him fired in January. Don't forget The NCAA frowns on the football team loading up one third of the schedule with the likes of a Hartford, UMass-Lowell, Coppin State... Football only gets one of those.

Reaction Score
Much more in common with the Big 12 schools than the Big East schools.
UConn is a better school than all the schools in the Big 12. Size of school and football is about all we have in common with them.

Reaction Score
Give Mora the same consideration you gave Hurley, about 3 years unless you were one of the manics that wanted him fired in January. Don't forget The NCAA frowns on the football team loading up one third of the schedule with the likes of a Hartford, UMass-Lowell, Coppin State... Football only gets one of those.
I gave Edsell a grace period and he succeeded. So I get your point with Mora. I only hope after some success over the next few years we lose Mora for a better situation. It is true that a program’s success hinges on great coaches. I cringe when I think of Geno retiring.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Did you have a problem with the Big East when it had Louisville, Marquette, Cincinnati, DePaul, South Florida all from Conference USA in it?

A lot of people consider that the best basketball conference ever.
Unfortunately it still has DePaul in it.

Reaction Score
I gave Edsell a grace period and he succeeded. So I get your point with Mora. I only hope after some success over the next few years we lose Mora for a better situation. It is true that a program’s success hinges on great coaches. I cringe when I think of Geno retiring.

The success of UConn as a whole has nothing to do with women's basketball. No one cares about it nationally.

Football and MBB drive the bus.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You're hoping that we lose Mora?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom