B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you are right, then why haven't 50+ D1 schools shut down their athletic programs? You should let them know that it is already over.

You can be as hyperbolic as you’d like, but the point stands…we’re not competing long term with schools that are putting away close to ten figures more than we do every ten years. And that will happen in the Big East. They’re going to get their $4.5M per year when Big Ten schools are topping $100M.

Gampel needs modest repairs and the school has put in print that we do not know where the funding will come from for even those repairs. (A $30M repair eats up almost eight years of our television revenue, or about six months of Rutgers’ television revenue…does everyone see how math works?)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You can be as hyperbolic as you’d like, but the point stands…we’re not competing long term with schools that are putting away close to ten figures more than we do every ten years. And that will happen in the Big East. They’re going to get their $4.5M per year when Big Ten schools are topping $100M.

Gampel needs modest repairs and the school has put in print that we do not know where the funding will come from for even those repairs. (A $30M repair eats up almost eight years of our television revenue, or about six months of Rutgers’ television revenue…does everyone see how math works?)

You should also let Disney know that the cable gravy train on ESPN will last forever. They are getting ready to trade it in for a Kia. Fishy > Iger when it comes to understanding sports media. There is a pretty good chance that the Big 10 contract just signed will be the all time high point for a linear deal. It is all downhill from here.

I have covered most of my thoughts on this subject in the streaming thread on the realignment board. I do not know where this change will end up, but virtually everyone agrees that traditional cable is going to die. Except you.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
it is, but mid-5 million range I think. Notre Dame makes $10 from the ACC but I have to think part of that is a football “ supplement.” And we’ve the new B12 tv deal likely pushing out some NBE prime time content, one has to wonder how much the next round will be worth. I read $7-7.5 but that was pre-Big12 FOX DEAL. People here posted $10 million but I imagine that is largely wishful thinking. What do you think the NBE is worth with no UConn?
I thought the media rights deal was about $4 1/2M. Maybe NCAA credits are bumping it up the extra million?

Without UConn, I think the next big east media deal might be worth around $6 million per school. But that's obviously a guess.

CL82

Reaction Score
I will give you credit @CL82 you are persistent and won’t let this thread die.
Classic Film Bow GIF by Warner Archive

CL82

Reaction Score
From UConn Report 2020 (projected numbers)

Big East:

Value of Big East deal with FOX: $4.2 million per year, per team

Value of current deal with SNY: About $1 million per year

Expected value of football deal with SNY: About $1 million per year (now CBSSN?)

Potential football buy game: $1 million per year

Bowl game payout: $310,000, based on 2019

Men’s Basketball Fund: $1.6 million

AAC exit fee: $1 million per year, after 2020

TOTAL: $8.1 million

Plus School licensing agreements
The football deal ended up being worth $500,000, not 1 million.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s grim.
Better than nothing, and certainly better than not having one. The fact that we have a "national TV deal" as an independent is definitely something.

Reaction Score
Better than nothing, and certainly better than not having one. The fact that we have a "national TV deal" as an independent is definitely something.
I meant the overall package is grim. I agree with you on the football part.

Reaction Score
The football deal ended up being worth $500,000, not 1 million.
Yep. these were projected numbers, So up to $100,000 per home game depending on opponent quality and no production costs.

Reaction Score
Whistle past any graveyard you’d like.
I think we'll be in the Big 12 and I think it's the right move but you honestly think Rutgers is passing UConn by in basketball if UConn remains in the Big East? I want to know where you stand.

Were you saying this in '14 when Rutgers joined the Big 10. You were about the most vocal critic that the Big East was done back then and that the AAC was far superior.

Reaction Score
What's preventing UConn from winning championships while in the B12? No one seems to care about any team except Villanova in the NBE. No one who follows UConn baseball believed they were top ten. That was in one poll, there must be five of thos

What does any of what you're saying have to do with my post?

I don't really care what happens but I know that the Big 12 is the move. I love the Big East and will continue to love the Big East if UConn leaves just as I loved the Big East when UConn was in the AAC.
Even though I think it will slightly hurt UConn in men's basketball which I care most about I think we have to join the Big 12 if it's there and not only am I kind of hoping for it I think it will happen. I also root for UConn football and every other sport UConn plays, don't think I've missed a UConn football game even when they were losing every single game.

What I don't like is a bunch of the arguments thrown out around here trying to sell it. We aren't similar to the schools in the Big 12. We aren't similar to the schools in the Big East either.
Slightly hurt UConn in men's basketball is where u r a 100% wrong. I like winning national championships. Apparently u don't. Only thing I care about. It kills us.

Reaction Score
Then tell me was year you expect UConn football to be respectful. They are lucky to have half the stadium filled for most of their games. Put a decent product on the field and then we can have a further discussion. Winning half your games is the goal for success? Against teams that are so below the talent level of teams in the Big 12? Let’s play Michigan again. That went well.
Ok boss what is Rutgers game? I don't care about money because it's not mine. So if you are a Rutgers fan, you excited in any way for the last 150 years? Wow you pay teachers more?

Reaction Score
Slightly hurt UConn in men's basketball is where u r a 100% wrong. I like winning national championships. Apparently u don't. Only thing I care about. It kills us.
Totally, we can no longer win national championships from the Big East.

It's been so long...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Totally, we can no longer win national championships from the Big East.

It's been so long...
Obviously not true just yet, but eventually they grind you down. Did you expect Baylor to win a title? Did you expect Alabama to ever have a #1 overall seed? The old hoops powers have done just fine. But the programs improving the most have been from football powers or big conferences. Overall exposure in the NIL world plus massive revenue is an advantage. Rutgers won’t eclipse UConn, but they will and have passed old strong local hoops competition (to them) St. Joes and Temple.

I think a Big XII move helps UConn hoops over time.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yep. these were projected numbers, So up to $100,000 per home game depending on opponent quality and no production costs.
I'm hopeful that attendance is better this year. NC State appears to be off to a good start.

Reaction Score

Obviously not true just yet, but eventually they grind you down. Did you expect Baylor to win a title? Did you expect Alabama to ever have a #1 overall seed? The old hoops powers have done just fine. But the programs improving the most have been from football powers or big conferences. Overall exposure in the NIL world plus massive revenue is an advantage. Rutgers won’t eclipse UConn, but they will and have passed old strong local hoops competition (to them) St. Joes and Temple.

I think a Big XII move helps UConn hoops over time.
Sure on Baylor and Bama. I thought Baylor and Gonzaga were a step ahead of everyone else in college basketball since the beginning of that season. Didn't think Bama was the best team this past season. Good teams pop up all the time in college hoops throughout the years. There's only a few programs who have success over many decades, under several coaches, leading to several national championships. UConn is one of them. UConn will be elite in basketball if they stay in the Big East.

All that money and the Big 10 hasn't won a title in nearly a quarter century.

Half this board said the Big East was finished when UConn started playing games in the AAC. It was stupid then and it's stupid now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sure on Baylor and Bama. I thought Baylor and Gonzaga were a step ahead of everyone else in college basketball since the beginning of that season. Didn't think Bama was the best team this past season. Good teams pop up all the time in college hoops throughout the years. There's only a few programs who have success over many decades, under several coaches, leading to several national championships. UConn is one of them. UConn will be elite in basketball if they stay in the Big East.

Half this board said the Big East was finished when UConn started playing games in the AAC. It was stupid then and it's stupid now.
I don't think the Big East is done. My point on Baylor isn't about that year, I agree, those were the two best teams that year. It's about Baylor becoming a basketball power at all. Hence the Alabama comparison. SEC basketball had been Kentucky, LSU and Arkansas with a very strong stretch by Florida. Auburn was good with Barkley.

The football schools are investing in basketball to a much greater degree. It is having an impact. Nothing fatal, but it matters.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Big East is done. My point on Baylor isn't about that year, I agree, those were the two best teams that year. It's about Baylor becoming a basketball power at all. Hence the Alabama comparison. SEC basketball had been Kentucky, LSU and Arkansas with a very strong stretch by Florida. Auburn was good with Barkley.

The football schools are investing in basketball to a much greater degree. It is having an impact. Nothing fatal, but it matters.
My main beef is the people who have been saying for a decade the Big East is done, they're still saying it and will be saying it 5 years from now when the Big East is still doing great. You're not one of them.

Baylor didn't exactly come out of nowhere. They made the right hire after scandal and Scott Drew has built it up for 20 years.

I don't know the point you're making with them, they did what Gonzaga has done for the past 25 years. What UConn has done for the past 35+ years.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes.
Yes. And a certain number of posters arguing that championships are more important than money as the reason we should stay in the BE and not accept an invitation to the B12 have stated that we should accept a BIG invitation. Love that reasoning.
No. At least I’m not aware of anyone arguing the demise of the BE. People are making two potential predictions.

First UConn, by remaining in the BE and receiving the revenues the conference will receive, will not be able to support its basketball program or compete at the level of support that programs in the power conferences will be able to provide. Hence the chances of future success will be greatly diminished.

And/or second the power conferences will possibly separate from the NCAA and the schools not in those conferences will no longer be part of the tournaments that will be nationally viewed as prestigious. Exposure will be minimal. If we resent Rutgers now because of the monetary discrepancy think what our feelings will be in this situation.

The BE will survive but most likely in a situation reduced to a division 2 type status or at best a division 1a status. They will have players constantly poached by the power conferences even with NIL support because many of the better players will prefer playing on teams getting the most exposure.

Reaction Score

Agreed. But being in the Big East is leaps ahead of the AAC.

Reaction Score
No. At least I’m not aware of anyone arguing the demise of the BE. People are making two potential predictions.

First UConn, by remaining in the BE and receiving the revenues the conference will receive, will not be able to support its basketball program or compete at the level of support that programs in the power conferences will be able to provide. Hence the chances of future success will be greatly diminished.

And/or second the power conferences will possibly separate from the NCAA and the schools not in those conferences will no longer be part of the tournaments that will be nationally viewed as prestigious. Exposure will be minimal. If we resent Rutgers now because of the monetary discrepancy think what our feelings will be in this situation.

The BE will survive but most likely in a situation reduced to a division 2 type status or at best a division 1a status. They will have players constantly poached by the power conferences even with NIL support because many of the better players will prefer playing on teams getting the most exposure.
No. It wasn't true a decade ago when half this board was saying it and it isn't true now. If UConn stays in the Big East they will remain a national power in college basketball. The Big East wasn't going anywhere a decade ago and it isn't going anywhere now. It will remain one of the elite basketball leagues in the country and it will be the best basketball league in the country next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom