B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes.

Yes.
And a certain number of posters arguing that championships are more important than money as the reason we should stay in the BE and not accept an invitation to the B12 have stated that we should accept a BIG invitation. Love that reasoning.

No. At least I’m not aware of anyone arguing the demise of the BE. People are making two potential predictions.

First UConn, by remaining in the BE and receiving the revenues the conference will receive, will not be able to support its basketball program or compete at the level of support that programs in the power conferences will be able to provide. Hence the chances of future success will be greatly diminished.

And/or second the power conferences will possibly separate from the NCAA and the schools not in those conferences will no longer be part of the tournaments that will be nationally viewed as prestigious. Exposure will be minimal. If we resent Rutgers now because of the monetary discrepancy think what our feelings will be in this situation.

The BE will survive but most likely in a situation reduced to a division 2 type status or at best a division 1a status. They will have players constantly poached by the power conferences even with NIL support because many of the better players will prefer playing on teams getting the most exposure.

If cable reverses its free fall and starts growing again, then your prediction about other conferences has a chance of coming true. Otherwise, your premise is wrong.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You can be as hyperbolic as you’d like, but the point stands…we’re not competing long term with schools that are putting away close to ten figures more than we do every ten years. And that will happen in the Big East. They’re going to get their $4.5M per year when Big Ten schools are topping $100M.

Gampel needs modest repairs and the school has put in print that we do not know where the funding will come from for even those repairs. (A $30M repair eats up almost eight years of our television revenue, or about six months of Rutgers’ television revenue…does everyone see how math works?)

There is a roadmap for what is going to happen when streaming takes over sports broadcasting. Just look at TV and the movies. Viewership got very fragmented, the market shrank a little, and then a huge foodfight broke out over the remaining pie with simultaneous writers and actors strike.

This will happen at lightspeed with sports. The major leagues (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, maybe tennis) will be able to control their content, but they will dramatically cut how much they share with broadcasters, and likely take it in house soon.

College is already fragmented, and it will get more fragmented. If you think the Fran Drescher screaming is a big deal, just wait until the Big 10's and SEC's revenues start shrinking without the cable fees to pay the bills. It will be Mad Max in the Big 10 and SEC. In an efficient market, a Big 10 school would not be worth $100 million/year and an ACC school worth $32 million/year or whatever they are worth.

In the cable world, the Big 10 was a little more attractive and it became winner take all. That world is ending. Markets abhor pricing gaps, and that one will get closed.

Reaction Score
In 1960, schools like Bradley, St. Bonaventure, Detroit, St. Louis, Drake, San Francisco, were very relevant on the national scene, top 25 schools. A decade later, St. Bonaventure, Drake and schools like Duquesne were relevant. Today all these private Catholics and small privates like Drake are irrelevant on the national scene.

No one laments the fact that these schools have totally dropped off. No one thinks of them for what they once were.

This is something the BE has to worry about. If the P2/4/5 break away, there will be a momentary collective outrage for the schools left behind, and then 3 years later, schools like St. Mary's and Butler and Xavier and Seton Hall will be forgotten, the way people think of St. Bonaventure today.

I'm not sure if they'll make special exceptions for schools like Villanova, Gonzaga and Georgetown; it seems they should. But nothing is guaranteed.
Bingo. LaSalle won a title at one time. San Francisco won 2. If either one just gets to the dance today it would be worthy of a huge celebration among their fans.

Or look at Womens basketball. Louisiana Tech was a power in the 80s and 90s. Won a couple of championships. Went to multiple 10 final fours. Cheney State was too. Not as big a deal but still very good. Then the major schools decided to focus. Louisiana Tech went to the Final Four in 1999. Does Geno lose sleep worrying about playing the Lady Techsters now? Haven’t even been To the tournament side 2011.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There is a roadmap for what is going to happen when streaming takes over sports broadcasting. Just look at TV and the movies. Viewership got very fragmented, the market shrank a little, and then a huge foodfight broke out over the remaining pie with simultaneous writers and actors strike.

This will happen at lightspeed with sports. The major leagues (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, maybe tennis) will be able to control their content, but they will dramatically cut how much they share with broadcasters, and likely take it in house soon.

College is already fragmented, and it will get more fragmented. If you think the Fran Drescher screaming is a big deal, just wait until the Big 10's and SEC's revenues start shrinking without the cable fees to pay the bills. It will be Mad Max in the Big 10 and SEC. In an efficient market, a Big 10 school would not be worth $100 million/year and an ACC school worth $32 million/year or whatever they are worth.

In the cable world, the Big 10 was a little more attractive and it became winner take all. That world is ending. Markets abhor pricing gaps, and that one will get closed.
I suspect that in your scenario of the cable end game the power conferences will unite and be able to do what you propose for professional sports.

If there is a reduction in revenues with the SEC and BIG what do you think will happen with the small fry? The bidding for the NCAA tournament? Numbers of programs offer content but in your scenario of broadcasting contraction content without eyeballs is less valuable than in today’s world.

The NCAA without the major universities will not have enough viewership to sustain it.

I agree with you regarding the future of broadcasting. I disagree regarding who will survive in the college world and the degree of survival.

Reaction Score
How much more money NIL money could we offer Cooper Flagg if the Big 12 happens.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No to trying to save football by smiting basketball, again.

No to having road games consistently 2 time zones away too putting us at a competitive disadvantage.

Unless the Big Ten comes calling, I’m good with the Big East.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Obviously not true just yet, but eventually they grind you down. Did you expect Baylor to win a title? Did you expect Alabama to ever have a #1 overall seed? The old hoops powers have done just fine. But the programs improving the most have been from football powers or big conferences. Overall exposure in the NIL world plus massive revenue is an advantage. Rutgers won’t eclipse UConn, but they will and have passed old strong local hoops competition (to them) St. Joes and Temple.

I think a Big XII move helps UConn hoops over time.
Lol in the last 10 years ONE. And. that.means. ONE. school has won the title ( p5 or not) that has put football ahead of hoops.

Dont tell me we need football!

Reaction Score
The UConn basketball only fans make me laugh, come across as real snobs.

Reaction Score
Lol in the last 10 years ONE. And. that.means. ONE. school has won the title ( p5 or not) that has put football ahead of hoops.

We need football.

Reaction Score
No to trying to save football by smiting basketball, again.

No to having road games consistently 2 time zones away too putting us at a competitive disadvantage.

Unless the Big Ten comes calling, I’m good with the Big East.
We didn’t choose to be in the AAC, the Big Ten isn’t calling. There’s every where you drive I plane ride for an extra hour or 2 is doable. We can still schedule local out of conference games against local teams.

Reaction Score
No. It wasn't true a decade ago when half this board was saying it and it isn't true now. If UConn stays in the Big East they will remain a national power in college basketball. The Big East wasn't going anywhere a decade ago and it isn't going anywhere now. It will remain one of the elite basketball leagues in the country and it will be the best basketball league in the country next season.
The answer is we were lucky with initial edsall and we are super lucky mora. Mora matters. He's in weird spot that making uconn good at football makes him HOF.

August_West

Reaction Score
The UConn basketball only fans make me laugh, come across as real snobs.
Facts hurt sometimes. Why do we want to give up a 5 time NC winner with a bullet? And here’s the thing if that was the football team winning 5 and I was a destitute hoops fan I wouldn’t want to torpedo football to go on a wish and a star for hoops.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn Butler streaming on Hulu 2 for $5M a year just screams national power.

Reaction Score
We didn’t choose to be in the AAC, the Big Ten isn’t calling. There’s traffic every where you drive A plane ride for an extra hour or 2 is doable. We can still schedule local out of conference games against local teams.

August_West

Reaction Score
We need football.
I disagree. And I know your cases you make. You might be right. But you might not, and anyone who thinks they KNOW, knows nothing all you need to do to realize that is to read the last decade plus of CR board. NO ONE KNOWS HOW THIS WILL LOOK IN 5-10 years. So all you experts need to get the hell out of my face. I’ve seen this movie multiple times. The sequel is always worse. ( and we are well past GF2 at this point)

August_West

Reaction Score
How much more money NIL money could we offer Cooper Flagg if the Big 12 happens.
None. NIL has zero to do with conf dollars

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
UConn Butler streaming on Hulu 2 for $5M a year just screams national power.
All the best coaches are in the Big East. You don’t think college hoops will make sure to get them good TV a time?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Almost didn't recognize the new avatar. Sure. Titles, yes. But those aren't really a good measurement. Very few BB focused schools win titles either. Would you label Gonzaga as unsuccessful? The football schools have made inroads. They are paying more attention to basketball.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We didn’t choose to be in the AAC, the Big Ten isn’t calling. There’s every where you drive I plane ride for an extra hour or 2 is doable. We can still schedule local out of conference games against local teams.
Jetlag is much different from a bus ride. We already dealt with that in the AAC. Don’t want to do that again.

Going to the big 12 doesn’t even guarantee good football. Just look at Rutgers move to the Big Ten. They’re the doormats of the conference.

Reaction Score
Almost didn't recognize the new avatar. Sure. Titles, yes. But those aren't really a good measurement. Very few BB focused schools win titles either. Would you label Gonzaga as unsuccessful? The football schools have made inroads. They are paying more attention to basketball.
How are titles not a really good measurement?

August_West

Reaction Score
Jetlag is much different from a bus ride. We already dealt with that in the AAC. Don’t want to do that again.

Going to the big 12 doesn’t even guarantee good football. Just look at Rutgers move to the Big Ten. They’re the doormats of the conference.
So I will be fair here. KO checking out was an equal factor to our demise as AAC. That being said, when we replaced KO Hurley desperately wanted out of AAC . Why?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom