B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Disagree with you on football. I think UConn would have no trouble competing in the Big 12 very quickly and the money is not a little extra money. It's a ton of extra money.
Definitely hyperbole to the money part. Just don’t know if the money is worth it if it hurts the basketball programs. Since they are the cash cows.

The Big 12 is pretty competitive in football. Even without Texas and OU. It’s going to be really hard competing with programs who have Texas as their recruiting grounds.

The new schools Cincinnati, BYU, and UCF dominanted their previous conferences. UConn is not close to that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Basketball doesn't need more. If it's a strictly a basketball decision then we'd stay in the Big East. But the AD is making a decision on all sports. When it's a huge boost to nearly every sports, a lateral move in men's basketball, and only hurts soccer (which let's be honest, nobody here cares about) it's reasonable to consider
I’m just not a fan of stripping away some of the traditions that make the program valuable. Big East, rivalries, nearby conference foes. I’m not sure anyone who made the switch from the Big East to ACC made out well, and the ACC was a better conference.

Reaction Score
I'm not far off from what you said here really. But I don't think you can equate thinking UConn would do as well, maybe even better in the Big XII with: the Big East is finished. I think we'd do just as well but think the Big East will be fine, if weaker without UConn.

My focus is more on UConn and CT. I honestly think the school is throwing money at the AD, spending like a P5 despite the annual deficit because they believe they can get a P5 bid and close the funding gap (somewhat). If it becomes clear that isn't the case, if it's staying in the Big East for good and bigger money is out of reach forever, then they'd shut a ton of stuff down. Maybe FBS football, maybe other sports get the axe.

In short, the school isn't going to run this kind of deficit indefinitely. It is doing it to get to that next step.
I'm not talking about you. You live in reality but a whole bunch of people on this board think the Big East is finished, a lot of them were saying the Big East was finished a decade ago.

One of my favorite arguments from the other day was someone posting that UConn needed to be in the Big 12 because the Big 12 is a bunch of like-minded state flagship Universities. This got a bunch of likes and is complete nonsense.

Kansas and West Virginia.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Another thing on the Big 12 football.

Do we really think football will be a big deal there in 5-10 years now that the biggest brands in their conference left? Big 12 football is going to be an afterthought. The only conferences that will matter is the Big Ten, SEC, and ACC unless Miami, FSU, and Clemson leaves. Which could be possible.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Do we really think football will be a big deal there in 5-10 years now that the biggest brands in their conference left? Big 12 football is going to be an afterthought. The only conferences that will matter is the Big Ten, SEC, and ACC unless Miami, FSU, and Clemson leaves. Which could be possible.

Uh, yes?

Reaction Score

How did the conference commissioner get such a good deal for the conference without Texas and Oklahoma?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about you. You live in reality but a whole bunch of people on this board think the Big East is finished, a lot of them were saying the Big East was finished a decade ago.

One of my favorite arguments from the other day was someone posting that UConn needed to be in the Big 12 because the Big 12 is a bunch of like-minded state flagship Universities. This got a bunch of likes and is complete nonsense.

Kansas and West Virginia.
It's badly phrased. Big XII will be 3 religious private schools and 9 public schools. Big East is one public school and 10 religious private schools. So there is some greater commonality in that respect, but geography mostly works the other way.

Honestly, I still think we fit best in the ACC. But as has been the case since the Big East imploded, we have to play the hand we're dealt.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm not far off from what you said here really. But I don't think you can equate thinking UConn would do as well, maybe even better in the Big XII with: the Big East is finished. I think we'd do just as well but think the Big East will be fine, if weaker without UConn.

My focus is more on UConn and CT. I honestly think the school is throwing money at the AD, spending like a P5 despite the annual deficit because they believe they can get a P5 bid and close the funding gap (somewhat). If it becomes clear that isn't the case, if it's staying in the Big East for good and bigger money is out of reach forever, then they'd shut a ton of stuff down. Maybe FBS football, maybe other sports get the axe.

In short, the school isn't going to run this kind of deficit indefinitely. It is doing it to get to that next step.
UConn is a non profit state school they will always have state funding. That’s why I get gobsmacked about people wringing their hands over an AD deficit. And if any CT Resident wrings their hand over out state deficit (which has been reduced the last couple years) go to Florida and pay to fight Mickey mouse. The ONE thing I dont want to hear about with realignment is Budget. Its so stupid.

August_West

Reaction Score
It's badly phrased. Big XII will be 3 religious private schools and 9 public schools. Big East is one public school and 10 religious private schools. So there is some greater commonality in that respect, but geography mostly works the other way.

Honestly, I still think we fit best in the ACC. But as has been the case since the Big East imploded, we have to play the hand we're dealt.
And we didn't hit a royal flush but we definitely hit a full house getting back to the big east. I'll stand pat

Reaction Score
Definitely hyperbole to the money part. Just don’t know if the money is worth it if it hurts the basketball programs. Since they are the cash cows.

The Big 12 is pretty competitive in football. Even without Texas and OU. It’s going to be really hard competing with programs who have Texas as their recruiting grounds.

The new schools Cincinnati, BYU, and UCF dominanted their previous conferences. UConn is not close to that.
We have Jim Mora who knows the West Coast he has a 4 star qb from Texas commited since the big 12 was talked about about in his recruiting pitch.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How did the conference commissioner get such a good deal for the conference without Texas and Oklahoma?
Nobody has seen how their ratings will be yet without them. If you think people are going to care about a football conference where the biggest brands will be TCU, ISU, and OSU. You’re mistaken bud.

TCU was considered a lucky Cinderella in the CFP this year and they finished 28th in the recruiting rankings despite it. It’s going to be a no name football conference.

August_West

Reaction Score

I would love to play 3 card monty with you

Reaction Score
I’m just not a fan of stripping away some of the traditions that make the program valuable. Big East, rivalries, nearby conference foes. I’m not sure anyone who made the switch from the Big East to ACC made out well, and the ACC was a better conference.
And yet if given the opportunity we would. without question, trade places with every single one of those schools. There's a reason the AD continues trying to get into a P5 conference every time

Reaction Score
Nobody has seen how their ratings will be yet without them. If you think people are going to care about a football conference where the biggest brand will be TCU, ISU, and OSU. You’re mistaken.

TCU was considered a lucky Cinderella in the CFP this year and they finished 28th in the recruiting rankings despite it. It’s going to be a no name football conference.
Compared to the Big Ten and the SEC sure.

Reaction Score

The Big 12 is competitive in football but they don't have any true powers. It's a bunch of solid/good teams who don't really move the needle much. Back in the day UConn had wins over Baylor and Iowa State and that was Edsall. Mora is better than Edsall at everything and actually has a personality and vision kids will want to play for. I don't think it would take much time at all for Mora to make them competitive in the Big 12 if that's where they end up. UConn was decent last year under Mora and that was with a severely undermanned team due to not bringing in his guys yet and tons of injuries.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And yet if given the opportunity we would. without question, trade places with every single one of those schools. There's a reason the AD continues trying to get into a P5 conference every time
You’d want to be Syracuse and Pitt this year missing the tourment??

Reaction Score

The football program is underfunded, has been for awhile. In 2018 the head football coach offered 150k from his salary to retain an average offensive coordinator. Geno made as much as the entire coaching staff last year

Reaction Score

What makes you think this period of expansion is the end game for the B12?

August_West

Reaction Score
The football program is underfunded, has been for awhile. In 2018 the head football coach offered 150k from his salary to retain an average offensive coordinator. Geno made as much as the entire coaching staff last year
We live in New England. What makes you think we pay 5 million to a HC will make us anything than marginally better?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is competitive in football but they don't have any true powers. It's a bunch of solid/good teams who don't really move the needle much. Back in the day UConn had wins over Baylor and Iowa State and that was Edsall. Mora is better than Edsall at everything and actually has a personality and vision kids will want to play for. I don't think it would take much time at all for Mora to make them competitive in the Big 12 if that's where they end up. UConn was decent last year under Mora and that was with a severely undermanned team due to not bringing in his guys yet and tons of injuries.
I think Mora was a great hire and will elevate football. I’m just not sure what the ceiling of the program is and if he does well will he move on immediately? The football program is super lucky to have a former NFL coach right now. If he does leave, then what?

It’s very shaky ground to make long term decisions off of. Every decision should be about what’s in the best interest of basketball.

If anything, if/when Mora does well maybe the Big Ten does come calling to get a piece of the New York market they were stupid enough to think Rutgers was suppose to help with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom