B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 15 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Lol - Pitt won a tournament game this season and Miami played in the friggin final 4 vs someone but I'm forgetting who. West Va made the tournament too.

OOOH they are killing it? w mediocre showings and a 2 million dollar team during the advent of NIL that has zero fan support. Lets move!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
all of them?

BC
Louisville
Syracuse
Pitt

Virginia Tech
even Miami
West Virginia?

How did 7 teams with so much P5 money make all the same coaching failures?
I don’t think any of these schools performances have gotten better since leaving the Big East.

I’m not sure when Miami and VTech left though. Was that pre The U and Vick or post? Even then those schools have been gone for 20 years. Miami just became kind of relevant in basketball again. In a recruiting hotbed! Football has sucked for years.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
OOOH they are killing it? w mediocre showings and a 2 million dollar team during the advent of NIL that has zero fan support. Lets move!

Yeah, much rather align myself with Final 4 mainstays St. John's, PC, Georgetown and Seton Hall who haven't been relevant since I was in diapers!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Long term, probably pieces of Pac10 and ACC.
You mean their scraps that get rejected by the big conferences too? What big name school is the Big 12 going to pull?

Oregon is fighting like hell for the Big Ten to let them on the lifeboat with USC and UCLA.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I don’t think any of these schools performances have gotten better since leaving the Big East.

I’m not sure when Miami and VTech left though. Was that pre The U and Vick or post? Even then those schools have been gone for 20 years. Miami just became kind of relevant in basketball again. In a recruiting hotbed! Football has sucked for years.
Miami paid 2 million in NIL for their team last year and drew 4000 a game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Arent you a Pats fan?

And you dont recognize that as a given instead of a hypothesis?
I'm a Pats fan still waiting for season tickets. They aren't any more available now than they were before.

No, it's not a given. I think UConn fans threw a hissy fit and were angry Louisville was chosen. They reacted badly, and a series of weak teams after Ollie checked out made that much worse. Fans were better in the Perno era than late in the Ollie era.

Big XII would mean playing very good teams, and the fans should accept that. Quality of opponents won't drop. We know it would be packed for KU, but I have to believe it would be packed for other ranked teams too. The energy is mostly back and if UConn is winning, it will be fine.

Reaction Score
An elite 8 and final four would be a disappointing run for us??

Whats Going On Reaction GIF by Travis
You've been on this board long enough, you don't think we'd complain about that lol?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm a Pats fan still waiting for season tickets. They aren't any more available now than they were before.

No, it's not a given. I think UConn fans threw a hissy fit and were angry Louisville was chosen. They reacted badly, and a series of weak teams after Ollie checked out made that much worse. Fans were better in the Perno era than late in the Ollie era.

Big XII would mean playing very good teams, and the fans should accept that. Quality of opponents won't drop. We know it would be packed for KU, but I have to believe it would be packed for other ranked teams too. The energy is mostly back and if UConn is winning, it will be fine.
That’s the thing. No one cares about Texas Tech, Kansas St, Iowa St, and Baylor.

They also don’t care about us. At all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't. I'll root for UConn in the B12 and I'll root for UConn in the Big East. If they banish us to D3 I'll root for us to beat NYU there
Huskies>>>>>Violets

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Another recruiting advantage we’d probably be giving up is playing at MSG.

No more Big East tournaments or playing St John’s. Just saying. Instead we’d have to play… where the hell do they play in the Big 12??

Big East basketball means something to me man!

IMG_1812.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How did the conference commissioner get such a good deal for the conference without Texas and Oklahoma?
Hinted they'd be bringing in Connecticut?

Reaction Score
I think there is a zero percent chance that conference affiliation has anything to do with tournament success for a team that gets in 70% of the time. It's not a feasible possibility. If we get in the tournament regularly then we'll get the same shots to go deep we have in the Big East. It makes no difference. The only risk is that fans stop supporting the team as they did when we joined the American. That's it. It's entirely on us. If fans decide that they want to see us play #20 Xavier instead of #19 K-State, and don't show up, the program will suffer. I'm hoping our fans won't react that way.

Also: we aren't becoming a top 20-25 football team on a regular basis. I don't expect that. Few programs are in that tier.
I'm describing Providence under Cooley and Seton Hall under Willard. Teams that make it most years but make no noise. I'm describing a scenario where Big 12 membership hurts UConn where they're still a good team but never a threat to win it all.

I don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibility that UConn gets major juice in football under Mora with a move to the Big 12 where they are pretty regularly ranked in that 20-25 range.

These are hypotheticals. Maybe doesn't end up exactly the way I'm describing but would you take UConn getting a major boost in football while remaining good in basketball but no longer being a threat of ever winning it all?

Reaction Score
Great point. 1 out of the last 14 national championship game winners was a school that puts football above basketball, Baylor.
If we take out the $30M a year we would be getting in the B12, how many of you would still want to leave the Big East? Is it really all about the money or is there something I’m missing here?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You've been on this board long enough, you don't think we'd complain about that lol?
The only gripe people really had was not making it out the first round.

I love the fact that Hurley figured it out this year and won us a championship. He has us setup for long term success truly. But that doesn’t make everyone who pointed out the things he needed to change (that he did for us to win) wrong previously.

That’s all I have to say on that matter in this thread. Point is, not one team that has left the Big East improved by doing so. Especially immediately.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I dont believe that for a second.
Doesn't matter what you believe. I've been waiting 10 years or so. Club seats can be had. That's a function of money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I really need someone to explain with some real detail how shy of coaching malfeasance, moving to a top basketball conference and having more money to spend on coaching salaries and recruiting will kill the men's basketball program.

Hell, I need someone to explain how it would make us less competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom