B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 16 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
And we didn't hit a royal flush but we definitely hit a full house getting back to the big east. I'll stand pat
Agreed. Stay where we are until things shake out with the ACC then see what that would look like.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter what you believe. I've been waiting 10 years or so. Club seats can be had. That's a function of money.
So there was a list and you are saying it hasnt shortened in last few years?

LOL

August_West

Reaction Score
I really need someone to explain with some real detail how shy of coaching malfeasance, moving to a top basketball conference and having more money to spend on coaching salaries and recruiting will kill the men's basketball program.

Hell, I need someone to explain how it would make us less competitive.

Sit this one out my friend, the adults are hashing it out.

Reaction Score
People would’ve called you crazy if you said Jim Calhoun would turn UConn into a basketball power. Going to the Big 12 you would have the money to pay Mora so he would stay, and if he ever did leave for the Big Ten or SEC or the NFL it would be a more attractive job for the next HC.

Reaction Score
Less of a chance he leaves if UConn is in the Big 12 and they would have a lot more money to replace him if he did.

I would be really surprised if he left if UConn was in the Big 12.

As to basketball and football.

Crystal ball time...Say if the move was a resounding success in football with UConn being a top 20-25 team going forward but the move really hurt the basketball team and they went from where they are now to just being a good team that makes the tournament 70% of the time but never makes noise would people vote for a move to the Big 12 or staying in the Big East?
I’d stay put. We already know and feel what’s it’s like to be the king. To me, that’s better than an invite to the Jiffy Lube bowl game in Akron.

Reaction Score
I really need someone to explain with some real detail how shy of coaching malfeasance, moving to a top basketball conference and having more money to spend on coaching salaries and recruiting will kill the men's basketball program.

Hell, I need someone to explain how it would make us less competitive.
I don't think people think it will kill basketball, I think some people think it would hurt basketball for a variety of reasons some of which are we would be leaving a conference run out of NYC and Providence to join a conference run out of Texas and Kansas. Being the geographic and cultural outlier is a danger in terms of refs, travel, fans etc. We would be giving up the best tournament in basketball in the best city/arena in basketball which is overrun with UConn fans every season for something in Dallas/Fort Worth Kansas. We would be leaving our position as the king of our conference to join a conference where Kansas are the kings, they own that conference in basketball like no other program owns their conference in basketball or football.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm describing Providence under Cooley and Seton Hall under Willard. Teams that make it most years but make no noise. I'm describing a scenario where Big 12 membership hurts UConn where they're still a good team but never a threat to win it all.

I don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibility that UConn gets major juice in football under Mora with a move to the Big 12 where they are pretty regularly ranked in that 20-25 range.

These are hypotheticals. Maybe doesn't end up exactly the way I'm describing but would you take UConn getting a major boost in football while remaining good in basketball but no longer being a threat of ever winning it all?
I don't think it's possible. I believe that even more looking at how few teams have won multiple titles. There is something that makes those teams different and I don't believe any conference change can make UConn into PC. We will either stink or we will be UConn.

With Jay Wright gone, there's no real foil for us in the Big East. I think Neptune will fail. Maybe Shaka can do it over time at Marquette, that's the best chance. But Kansas would give us that next level opponent, a real championship contender like we are, that the Big East doesn't have with Wright gone.

I can't answer your final question because I think what makes UConn a "threat to win it all" is that it's UConn. If it gets in, it's a threat. Period. I think 2014 showed that clearly enough. I think you can take Hurley and our entire roster from last year and put them in Seton Hall uniforms and they wouldn't get to the final four. There's a certain mystique around the teams that win in March. We still have it, even after our misadventures.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's possible. I believe that even more looking at how few teams have won multiple titles. There is something that makes those teams different and I don't believe any conference change can make UConn into PC. We will either stink or we will be UConn.

With Jay Wright gone, there's no real foil for us in the Big East. I think Neptune will fail. Maybe Shaka can do it over time at Marquette, that's the best chance. But Kansas would give us that next level opponent, a real championship contender like we are, that the Big East doesn't have with Wright gone.

I can't answer your final question because I think what makes UConn a "threat to win it all" is that it's UConn. If it gets in, it's a threat. Period. I think 2014 showed that clearly enough. I think you can take Hurley and our entire roster from last year and put them in Seton Hall uniforms and they wouldn't get to the final four. There's a certain mystique around the teams that win in March. We still have it, even after our misadventures.
You don't think UConn being good but not what they were is a possible scenario but you think UConn going from great to stinking is a possible scenario...

Now you've completely lost me.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I think Pitino at St John’s and, dare I say, Cooley at Georgetown can bring those programs back to up the Big East’s profile.

We have a good argument for having the best collection of coaches in college basketball. Hell, even Butler has Thad Matta who’s been to a NC game. Seton Hall’s coach went to an elite 8.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only gripe people really had was not making it out the first round.

I love the fact that Hurley figured it out this year and won us a championship.
Yeah, he had his core 4 players shoot better than 30%. A regular Terminator.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So there was a list and you are saying it hasnt shortened in last few years?

LOL
Nope. As of 2022:

“Only 480 new season tickets have been issued since 2019,” James said to the Globe. “But the wait list has grown by 6,258 season tickets since then.”

Reaction Score
You mean their scraps that get rejected by the big conferences too? What big name school is the Big 12 going to pull?

Oregon is fighting like hell for the Big Ten to let them on the lifeboat with USC and UCLA.
B12 is looking to pull in Arizona, Colorado and ASU. We’re only interesting to the B12 for our basketball programs and an east coast toehold. We are irrelevant to them with our football team. In other words, they need us more than we need them.

Reaction Score
The travel would suck far more for the fans then the players or coaches. The top recruits play at schools where they travel nationally. Your traveling by plane in the NCAA tournament, we have done ok out West, Calhoun always wanted it less distractions.

Recruits wanna play in the NBA where you travel by plane all the time. Coaches fly all the time to recruit and at clinics.

You don’t get jet lag flying within the country we won’t be flying to Australia or Japan.

August_West

Reaction Score
You don't think UConn being good but not what they were is a possible scenario but you think UConn going from great to stinking is a possible scenario...

Now you've completely lost me.
And if that his case for whatever reason why would we do it?

August_West

Reaction Score
B12 is looking to pull in Arizona, Colorado and ASU. We’re only interesting to the B12 for our basketball programs and an east coast toehold. We are irrelevant to them with our football team. In other words, they need us more than we need them.
Yet the fans here want to take a cut rate joining deal

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s good for basketball, but the point of going there is the money it would bring because of football. All those schools suck at football. And if nobody steps up as a national brand, it may as well be the Mountain Valley conference in terms of football in a few years. Which could mean a lot less money in the new deal.

If we really want to set ourselves up for success. Stay pat, see if Jim can drum up some good hype around the football program, then reach out to the Big Ten. It’d be much easier for us to be a top 25 team with our current schedule to become more attractive to the Big Ten.

We’d offer them top tier basketball, great academics which is super important to them, and the New York market that they need. They’re at 16 teams and will probably cap out at 20. We have a good shot if football can do it’s part.

Reaction Score
It’s good for basketball, but the point of going there is the money it would bring because of football. All those schools suck at football. And if nobody steps up as a national brand, it may as well be the Mountain Valley conference in terms of football in a few years. Which could mean a lot less money in the new deal.

If we really want to set ourselves up for success. Stay pat, see if Jim can drum up some good hype around the football program, then reach out to the Big Ten. It’d be much easier for us to be a top 25 team with our current schedule to become more attractive to the Big Ten.

We’d offer them top tier basketball, great academics which is super important to them, and the New York market that they need. They’re at 16 teams and will probably cap out at 20. We have a good shot if football can do its part.
You’re preaching to the choir.

Reaction Score
And if that his case for whatever reason why would we do it?
Money. A home for football would be nice but money is the reason. People here have convinced themselves of a dozen additional reasons but it's money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't think people think it will kill basketball, I think some people think it would hurt basketball for a variety of reasons some of which are we would be leaving a conference run out of NYC and Providence to join a conference run out of Texas and Kansas. Being the geographic and cultural outlier is a danger in terms of refs, travel, fans etc. We would be giving up the best tournament in basketball in the best city/arena in basketball which is overrun with UConn fans every season for something in Dallas/Fort Worth Kansas. We would be leaving our position as the king of our conference to join a conference where Kansas are the kings, they own that conference in basketball like no other program owns their conference in basketball or football.
A couple actually said it would.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom