B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 18 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I think being in a conference run out of Dallas/Fort Worth/Kansas instead of being in a conference run out of NYC/Providence could hurt us. I think being the geographic and cultural outlier in a new conference in the Plains could hurt us with refs, travel, fan support etc. I think giving up our status as the kings of our conference to join a conference where Kansas is forever kings (no team dominates their conference in basketball or football like Kansas dominates theirs in basketball) could hurt us. I think giving up the best conference tournament/city/arena for some conference tournament in Kansas City/Oklahoma City/Dallas could hurt us.
I get all of that. I think the disconnect is if it by your own words wouldn’t hurt recruiting then what would it hurt? Fan interest? I think that’s a stretch. The only way I see a drop off is if recruiting was affected and/or Hurley left.

To your Kansas point. Has Kansas ever had a conference mate at the prestige of UConn? I think we’d challenge that throne.

Reaction Score
I get all of that. I think the disconnect is if it by your own words wouldn’t hurt recruiting then what would it hurt? Fan interest?
The basketball program. The program could have trouble winning in that environment like they're accustomed to. That would hurt with fan support, recruiting, everything...

Reaction Score
The basketball program. The program could have trouble winning in that environment like they're accustomed to. That would hurt with fan support, recruiting, everything...
I can respect that opinion. I think it’s a stretch/reach. But I think I understand it. I’m just still struggling to see tangibly how all of these things are going to cause us to lose games. I’m of the belief if the recruits are the same level and the coach is the same coach we’ll be more than fine.

I’ll admit it could be my youth and/or optimism and I haven’t seen as much as some here. But I guess we’ll see

Reaction Score
Can we win a national championship as an independent? No

Can we win a national championship in the Big 12? Yes

So the Big 12 is the best option.
I've often said this will all be worth it when we're hoisting that CFP championship banner one day

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I get all of that. I think the disconnect is if it by your own words wouldn’t hurt recruiting then what would it hurt? Fan interest? I think that’s a stretch. The only way I see a drop off is if recruiting was affected and/or Hurley left.

To your Kansas point. Has Kansas ever had a conference mate at the prestige of UConn? I think we’d challenge that throne.
It’s hard to have the prestige of us, but Texas and OU both recruited very well. Especially Texas. Kansas State even some years. They’ve had it’s fair share of challengers in the Big 12.

I also think the allure of the Big East tournament and playing at MSG is kind of slept on here when it comes to recruiting. Especially for kids in the NE. We’d give up a huge recruiting tool and on the court competitive advantage.

In general, having to go 5 hours for most away games and having a conference tournament completely away from home is not ideal. While we did win a national title this year, it’s not like we’ve shown that we can dominate in conference. I don’t know why we would want to make playing in conference even harder.

We’d go from the Garden being Storrs South to having every Big 12 tournament game be a long distance road game that’s hard to get too.

Reaction Score
Would you rather jump to the AAC, and then say, oops, my bad?
This argument has become completely useless. It’s two sides (mostly the big 12 side) adamantly claiming one ways the right way and the opposite opinion is dumb. When I’m reality nobody knows how this could go. Pros and cons to both.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Jayden Ross is from Maryland, a state we've always recruited hard. Castle is from Georgia, another state we always recruited hard. I forgot about Abraham from Virginia. Nowell is an inner city Philly kid and plays at Philly power Imhotep. Stewart has that Donny Marshall connection. Yes we recruit nationally.

I think it's more about putting on for The Big East and at the Garden. I know it's the trendy thing to cr@p on the Big East here but it has cache with a lot of kids. Recruiting wouldn't be my big worry though.
Who was the highest rated recruit that Ollie brought in and where was he from?

Here's a hypothetical: if after the 2014-2015 season KO left for the NBA, which was rumored and had this board freaking out, and at that point we had brought in Hurley to replace him. Would our view of the AAC be the same?

One thing that I find stunning is how so many who had blasted KO mercilessly now are claiming he was only part of the downfall. If our coach kept up his end of the bargain our only complaint about the AAC would be how the conference had screwed us on the second media deal (which is entirely why we left).

Reaction Score
If they got into the B12 I think within 10 years they'd have at least one more bball championship, an extra FF appearance, a few elite 8, and maybe 3-5 s16s. At least 1 or 2 one seeds, a few 2 and 3 seeds. A handful of regular season conf championships and b12 tourney championships after a few years of adjusting to the b12. UConn is 14-16 all-time vs Cincy, in 10 years that would go to 25-25 assuming an average of 2 matchups per year, b12 tourney included and they become each other's biggest conference rival.

Baseball would improve, they might threaten multiple college world series appearances.

Fball would eventually get back to something similar to that season they played Oklahoma, give or take a win, minus the major bowl, but they'd probably be about that good. A few up-and-down seasons.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think being in a conference run out of Dallas/Fort Worth/Kansas instead of being in a conference run out of NYC/Providence could hurt us. I think being the geographic and cultural outlier in a new conference in the Plains could hurt us with refs, travel, fan support etc. I think giving up our status as the kings of our conference to join a conference where Kansas is forever kings (no team dominates their conference in basketball or football like Kansas dominates theirs in basketball) could hurt us. I think giving up the best conference tournament/city/arena for some conference tournament in Kansas City/Oklahoma City/Dallas could hurt us.
I think every one of those things is a concern. I think that concern is mitigated by the fact that Brett Yormark is a New York guy who is specifically bringing the program in because of its location and basketball pedigree. That's a very different situation than when we were in the American and we had a guy whose was trying to run away from basketball and the East Coast.

Reaction Score
I think every one of those things is a concern. I think that concern is mitigated by the fact that Brett Yormark is a New York guy who is specifically bringing the program in because of its location and basketball pedigree. That's a very different situation than when we were in the American and we had a guy whose was trying to run away from basketball and the East Coast.
Yormark (and all conference directors) work for the presidents, who provide direction and yes/no on direction, actions, etc that the conference director them steers towards. Yormark being basketball centric and from NY certainly helps but he isn't singly driving the Big12 bus. The fact that Yormark is publicly in our corner is a good thing given this.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yormark (and all conference directors) work for the presidents, who provide direction and yes/no on direction, actions, etc that the conference director them steers towards. Yormark being basketball centric and from NY certainly helps but he isn't singly driving the Big12 bus. The fact that Yormark is publicly in our corner is a good thing given this.
He hast to convince the presidents, no doubt, but the advice he's given them on renegotiating their contract in the post OU/Texas era has given him a tremendous amount of credibility with the school presidents.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Who was the highest rated recruit that Ollie brought in and where was he from?

Here's a hypothetical: if after the 2014-2015 season KO left for the NBA, which was rumored and had this board freaking out, and at that point we had brought in Hurley to replace him. Would our view of the AAC be the same?

One thing that I find stunning is how so many who had blasted KO mercilessly now are claiming he was only part of the downfall. If our coach kept up his end of the bargain our only complaint about the AAC would be how the conference had screwed us on the second media deal (which is entirely why we left).
People conveniently forget that KO did the yeoman work of recruiting for JC when he was the head assistant.
Hurley would not have stepped on the UConn campus if he had not known beforehand that UConn was going to rejoin the NBE so the AAC arguments are invalid.
I think the courts decided who didn't hold up the end of agreement (the old adage bargain doesn't fit here). KO didn't produce his last few years and the record certainly deserved second guessing and possible changes but DH didn't burn the AAC up and doesn''t have to recruit to the AAC either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s hard to have the prestige of us, but Texas and OU both recruited very well. Especially Texas. Kansas State even some years. They’ve had it’s fair share of challengers in the Big 12.

I also think the allure of the Big East tournament and playing at MSG is kind of slept on here when it comes to recruiting. Especially for kids in the NE. We’d give up a huge recruiting tool and on the court competitive advantage.

In general, having to go 5 hours for most away games and having a conference tournament completely away from home is not ideal. While we did win a national title this year, it’s not like we’ve shown that we can dominate in conference. I don’t know why we would want to make playing in conference even harder.

We’d go from the Garden being Storrs South to having every Big 12 tournament game be a long distance road game that’s hard to get too.
I'm not worried about a conference tournament in KC. UConn's road to championships has mostly come far from home. Maybe playing in a more hostile environment would help us. No doubt about it Sprint Center will be Lawrence in the way MSG is Storrs south, but there will be plenty of fans from all the teams, just like BET.

I don't think the BET at MSG is the selling point with kids today that it was 30 years ago. There's no nostalgia left. MSG isn't the big deal it was back when Howard Cosell was around.

I think our March success comes in part from being battle tested and I think the Big XII would be just as good as the Big East for that.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't think the BET at MSG is the selling point with kids today that it was 30 years ago. There's no nostalgia left. MSG isn't the big deal it was back when Howard Cosell was around.
No Way Wow GIF

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about a conference tournament in KC. UConn's road to championships has mostly come far from home. Maybe playing in a more hostile environment would help us. No doubt about it Sprint Center will be Lawrence in the way MSG is Storrs south, but there will be plenty of fans from all the teams, just like BET.

I think our March success comes in part from being battle tested and I think the Big XII would be just as good as the Big East for that.
I can tell you weren’t at MSG last year. There was a definite buzz in the city, building was sold out for every game, and the fans were rabid.

I’d rather participate in that than be Option E for the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Some threads have talked about UConn rivalries. I have to think its between UConn basketball fans vs UConn fans. I just love the hatred between the 2 groups.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can tell you weren’t at MSG last year. There was a definite buzz in the city, building was sold out for every game, and the fans were rabid.

I’d rather participate in that than be Option E for the Big 12.
I wasn't but that's not what I'm saying anyway. The tournament is a big event, of course it was. Outside of the tri-state area MSG doesn't really mean anything to anyone anymore. Big XII tournament had record crowds and buzz too.

CL82

Reaction Score
I wasn't but that's not what I'm saying anyway. The tournament is a big event, of course it was. Outside of the tri-state area MSG doesn't really mean anything to anyone anymore. Big XII tournament had record crowds and buzz too.
Yeah, I'm not at all sure that that's true. I feel like a number of Connecticut players talked about playing at MSG. It continues to be a big deal. And seeing a UConn game there, is an absolute blast.

That's probably the thing that bothers me the most about joining the big 12, assuming we get an invitation. I still think it's the right call, but leaving the big east tournament behind is tough.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hurley would not have stepped on the UConn campus if he had not known beforehand that UConn was going to rejoin the NBE so the AAC arguments are invalid.
I call BS on this. Quite a few head coaches at different programs within the athletic department were surprised when told this was happening. There is no way those in charge would have told someone who wasn't an employee information as critical as that if they weren't willing to tell employees.

I know this goes against everything that a number of boneyarders want to believe but if the second media deal did not hurt us in the manner (and at the level) it did we wouldn't have looked to leave the AAC for anything other than a P-5 conference.

Reaction Score
He loves the fact that being a troll, he doesn't fit in either category. Troll be trolling!
Not a troll. I was being sarcastic. I really think it sucks that there too many fans of one program and not the whole school. I think the basketball fans would have been happy if they did shutter the football program when we came back to the Big East.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not at all sure that that's true. I feel like a number of Connecticut players talked about playing at MSG. It continues to be a big deal. And seeing a UConn game there, is an absolute blast.

That's probably the thing that bothers me the most about joining the big 12, assuming we get an invitation. I still think it's the right call, but leaving the big east tournament behind is tough.
MSG is nothing these days. They can't compete with the T-Mobile Arena in Kansas City. They have the Professional Bull Riders Kansas City Outlaws and Nickelback coming to town.

Reaction Score
Some threads have talked about UConn rivalries. I have to think its between UConn basketball fans vs UConn fans. I just love the hatred between the 2 groups.
I don’t think that’s true at all… I think most uconn basketball fans love all the uconn teams… i went to 3 football games last year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom