B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 17 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Looks like Arizona does not want our football team in the conference anyways.

Thanks for sending this link HuskyWarrior. Here’s a brief excerpt from the article:
While the Huskies hold an interest to realign with the conference, it is believed that the school will only accept a full membership. This put the Big 12 at a crossroads of deciding to grow his football prowess with Arizona or basketball appeal with UConn.

While UConn developed into a men's and basketball power since the 1990s (four men's national titles since 1999, 11 women's national titles since 1995), its football program offers little value. UConn's football team, which joined the FBS in 2002, is an independent and one of the worst in the nation.

This is what I have posted over the last week said before just reading this article. For all you guys who think the B12 really wants us, think again. They want our basketball and that’s all. So no improving our football team in the B12 as a rationalization. Why would we leave the Big East for the B12 with no change in our football status. Yormuck must think we’re smucks. He gets a Blueblood for nothing. Tell him to pound sand. And the kicker is Arizona is already making demands on who gets in and who doesn’t. Last time I looked Arizona isn’t a conference member.​

Reaction Score
I don't think people think it will kill basketball, I think some people think it would hurt basketball for a variety of reasons some of which are we would be leaving a conference run out of NYC and Providence to join a conference run out of Texas and Kansas. Being the geographic and cultural outlier is a danger in terms of refs, travel, fans etc. We would be giving up the best tournament in basketball in the best city/arena in basketball which is overrun with UConn fans every season for something in Dallas/Fort Worth Kansas. We would be leaving our position as the king of our conference to join a conference where Kansas are the kings, they own that conference in basketball like no other program owns their conference in basketball or football.
August def said it would and some hyenas are running with it :p I can't imagine what it would take to kill Dan Hurley's Huskies.

Imo the biggest hurdle of a B12 move is losing King of Conference status. It's a luxury only a handful of blue bloods enjoy.

Reaction Score
Looks like Arizona does not want our football team in the conference anyways.

Thanks for sending this link HuskyWarrior. Here’s a brief excerpt from the article:

While the Huskies hold an interest to realign with the conference, it is believed that the school will only accept a full membership. This put the Big 12 at a crossroads of deciding to grow his football prowess with Arizona or basketball appeal with UConn.

While UConn developed into a men's and basketball power since the 1990s (four men's national titles since 1999, 11 women's national titles since 1995), its football program offers little value. UConn's football team, which joined the FBS in 2002, is an independent and one of the worst in the nation.

This is what I have posted over the last week said before just reading this article. For all you guys who think the B12 really wants us, think again. They want our basketball and that’s all. So no improving our football team in the B12 as a rationalization. Why would we leave the Big East for the B12 with no change in our football status. Yormuck must think we’re smucks. He gets a Blueblood for nothing. Tell him to pound sand. And the kicker is Arizona is already making demands on who gets in and who doesn’t. Last time I looked Arizona isn’t a conference member.​
It was bound to happen… An AI article that sources MHver3 as a “college football analyst” (not tongue in check either). Pudge is rolling…

Reaction Score
A bunch of teams left the Big East; all those teams got worse; Nova immediately stretched their legs, went from good to great, and fired off a couple titles. What this suggests to me is that the best northeastern basketball program will come from the premier northeastern basketball conference, and that school will always be a national title contender, no matter what the TV deal's paying.

I think Hurley can succeed anywhere, in any conference. But joining a conference outside your recruiting and fan base makes things harder. It's not about quality of opponents, it's about geography and fans and culture and history and where kids want to play. I don't think it's a coincidence that Nova, but also the Hall, PC, St. John's (kind of) all took a step forward when the C7 split, there was a vacuum in NE basketball and those teams filled it. Us leaving may not automatically create a vacuum, but there will definitely be a sucking sound. There really is no precedent for what UConn would be trying to do, winning titles from a conference outside its territory.

The NE throne is ours for as long as we want it, no one's taking it from us. The question is how much money is it worth to give the throne up to, like, Ed Cooley.

Reaction Score
Uconn will always recruit well in the big east… we are the blue blood of the north east…joining a southern conference will be risky

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
A bunch of teams left the Big East; all those teams got worse; Nova immediately stretched their legs, went from good to great, and fired off a couple titles. What this suggests to me is that the best northeastern basketball program will come from the premier northeastern basketball conference, and that school will always be a national title contender, no matter what the TV deal's paying.

I think Hurley can succeed anywhere, in any conference. But joining a conference outside your recruiting and fan base makes things harder. It's not about quality of opponents, it's about geography and fans and culture and history and where kids want to play. I don't think it's a coincidence that Nova, but also the Hall, PC, St. John's (kind of) all took a step forward when the C7 split, there was a vacuum in NE basketball and those teams filled it. Us leaving may not automatically create a vacuum, but there will definitely be a sucking sound. There really is no precedent for what UConn would be trying to do, winning titles from a conference outside its territory.

The NE throne is ours for as long as we want it, no one's taking it from us. The question is how much money is it worth to give the throne up to, like, Ed Cooley.
Eddie Murphy Randy Watson GIF by Coming to America

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I’d stay put. We already know and feel what’s it’s like to be the king. To me, that’s better than an invite to the Jiffy Lube bowl game in Akron.
I spent the longest day of my life at the Rubber Bowl ( real name! ) in Akron

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn averaged 39,331 fans for home games in 2008 the year they beat Baylor at the Rent.
What about the other year? And who's side are you on, junior?

Reaction Score
What about the other year? And who's side are you on, junior?
UConn averaged 36,668 fans for home games in 2011 the year they lost to Iowa State at the Rent.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Money. A home for football would be nice but money is the reason. People here have convinced themselves of a dozen additional reasons but it's money.

Isn't money important when running a nationally relevant athletic program?

What about our games being on linear cable? What is the BE next media rights contract going to look like?

Reaction Score
Isn't money important when running a nationally relevant athletic program?

What about our games being on linear cable? What is the BE next media rights contract going to look like?
I think money is important.

I think we'll always have a good place to watch our games on TV if we remain in the Big East.

I have no idea what the Big East's next media rights contract will look like.

Is being the best college basketball team in the country important to you?

Are basketball national championships important to you?

Reaction Score
Question for basketball,

Can we win a national championship in the Big East? Yes

Can we win a national championship in the Big 12? Yes

Question for football,

Can we win a national championship as an independent? No

So the Big 12 is the best option.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't think you really believe that.

I don't think the future success of UConn hoops depends on the year to year variance of playing in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd best league in a given year.

We won a title in freaking AAC for christ sake - why would joining a league that had the title winner in the prior two seasons be viewed as some ridiculous ask?

Look at the guys we've recruited in the last class and the incoming class? You think guys from Tennessee or Virginia give a ish about playing Providence?

Reaction Score
I don't think the future success of UConn hoops depends on the year to year variance of playing in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd best league in a given year.

We won a title in freaking AAC for christ sake - why would joining a league that had the title winner in the prior two seasons be viewed as some ridiculous ask?

Look at the guys we've recruited in the last class and the incoming class? You think guys from Tennessee or Virginia give a ish about playing Providence?
I think Hurley needed the big east to rebuild the program(recruit local kids). We were so bad off he needed something, anything to sell. And the BE was and is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than the AAC. I don’t think he needs that to sustain it. We’ve gone national in our recruiting efforts. I also think todays recruit cares less and less about “regional” rivalries. They want a path to championships, tv time, NIL, and most importantly a path to the league. We don’t need the BE to offer those things.

Reaction Score

And we could still schedule Providence OOC or perhaps Georgetown, St John’s even Duke or UNC.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Question for basketball,

Can we win a national championship in the Big East? Yes

Question for football,

Can we win a national championship as an independent? No

Can we win a pretty decent bowl game in the Big 12? Yes

So the Big 12 is the best option.
Fixed it for you - same answer though.

Reaction Score

I've listed reasons I think it could hurt UConn basketball in this thread and in other threads on this topic. We caught lightning in a bottle our first year in the AAC, you want a return to those years? It made me absolutely hate the college basketball season which is always my favorite season.

I obviously don't think the Big 12 is the AAC, they have much better teams but there is some risk for basketball.

Your last paragraph, umm we recruited those guys to play for UConn in the Big East and several or those players alluded to the Big East playing a big role. Who did we recruit from Tennessee and Virginia? To use your Providence dig do you think any of the kids we recruited give an ish about playing BYU? Possibly Travis Knight?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've listed reasons I think it could hurt UConn basketball in this thread and in other threads on this topic. We caught lightning in a bottle our first year in the AAC, you want a return to those years? It made me absolutely hate the college basketball season which is always my favorite season.

I obviously don't think the Big 12 is the AAC, they have much better teams but there is some risk for basketball.

Your last paragraph, umm we recruited those guys to play for UConn in the Big East and several or those players alluded to the Big East playing a big role. Who did we recruit from Tennessee and Virginia? To use your Providence dig do you think any of the kids we recruited give an ish about playing BYU? Possibly Travis Knight?

Abraham and Ross are from Virginia and Nowell is playing HS in Tennessee via Philly. Not to mention Castle from GA, Stewart from Seattle, etc. We're national there's no reason to think otherwise of course we'll still get locals too though.

Point is the kids are committed to Hurley, the staff and UConn. As long as the league isn't a detriment like the AAC was, I'm not concerned about recruiting whatsoever.

I think the majority of HS kids want to get to the NBA, make NIL, win, and be able to say they are in the p5/BE. The fans care about the rivalries, I don't think the majority of hs kids are even aware let alone care.

Reaction Score
Abraham and Ross are from Virginia and Nowell is playing HS in Tennessee via Philly. Not to mention Castle from GA, Stewart from Seattle, etc. We're national there's no reason to think otherwise of course we'll still get locals too though.

Point is the kids are committed to Hurley, the staff and UConn. As long as the league isn't a detriment like the AAC was, I'm not concerned about recruiting whatsoever.

I think the majority of HS kids want to get to the NBA, make NIL, win, and be able to say they are in the p5/BE. The fans care about the rivalries, I don't think the majority of hs kids are even aware let alone care.
Jayden Ross is from Maryland, a state we've always recruited hard. Castle is from Georgia, another state we always recruited hard. I forgot about Abraham from Virginia. Nowell is an inner city Philly kid and plays at Philly power Imhotep. Stewart has that Donny Marshall connection. Yes we recruit nationally.

I think it's more about putting on for The Big East and at the Garden. I know it's the trendy thing to cr@p on the Big East here but it has cache with a lot of kids. Recruiting wouldn't be my big worry though.

Reaction Score
Jayden Ross is from Maryland, a state we've always recruited hard. Castle is from Georgia, another state we always recruited hard. I forgot about Abraham from Virginia. Nowell is an inner city Philly kid and plays at Philly power Imhotep. Stewart has that Donny Marshall connection. Yes we recruit nationally.

I think it's more about putting on for The Big East and at the Garden. I know it's the trendy thing to cr@p on the Big East here but it has cache with a lot of kids. Recruiting wouldn't be my big worry though.
So if we have the same coach, the same recruiting, and at least equal competition. Where does the drop off come from?

Reaction Score
So if we have the same coach, the same recruiting, and at least equal competition. Where does the drop off come from?
I think being in a conference run out of Dallas/Fort Worth/Kansas instead of being in a conference run out of NYC/Providence could hurt us. I think being the geographic and cultural outlier in a new conference in the Plains could hurt us with refs, travel, fan support etc. I think giving up our status as the kings of our conference to join a conference where Kansas is forever kings (no team dominates their conference in basketball or football like Kansas dominates theirs in basketball) could hurt us. I think giving up the best conference tournament/city/arena for some conference tournament in Kansas City/Oklahoma City/Dallas could hurt us.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom