B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 23 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
with the coaching we have, the new athletic director who's done an amazing job, and more money to invest into the program? UConn will be in my eyes way better.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

The lowest rated and least-watched national championship of the BCS/CFP era was Georgia’s 58-point win over TCU in 2023, with an 8.7 rating and 17.22 million viewers.

TCU was just as irrelevant as SDSU. It was the same situation.
I notice that you didn't provide numbers for the final four games (nor did you provide numbers for the football semifinals). I'm curious to see (and compare) those.

I also believe that regardless of wh as t Forbes speculates, we won't know what the next BE media deal will be until it is announced. A few short months ago nobody would have believed the P-12 would still be spinning its wheels on a media contract that's due to begin in a year.

My biggest concern however is what happens when the subsidies our athletic department receives dry out. That could cut the legs out of the program.

Reaction Score

The lowest rated and least-watched national championship of the BCS/CFP era was Georgia’s 58-point win over TCU in 2023, with an 8.7 rating and 17.22 million viewers.

Come on Pitino is in his 70s. His hiring os gonna matter to TV executives? If has a crazy run he will run off in a NY minute. Remember Iona was gonna be his last job.

Reaction Score
The only reason we have even a snowball’s chance of getting a big money deal with a P-5 conference invite is a commissioner named Yormark. He has a vision that includes a desire to be in the NYC /Northeast area, and most importantly, a philosophy that values Bball much more than any other conference commissioner ever has when contemplating expansion. Our getting in comes down to his convincing the B-12 decision makers that our football is capable of improving and our basketball will make his conference the best, and provide it exposure and relevance in NYC, where the money is.
Nothing else matters. No other P-5 conference is calling us and the Big East can’t pay us enough. If Yormark can parlay his current aura of success into a “follow my lead on this idea”, we get an invite. That’s our shot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And yet….

“Earlier Saturday, the TCU-Michigan Fiesta Bowl averaged a 10.0 and 21.4 million — the highest for an early semifinal since the aforementioned Georgia-Oklahoma Rose Bowl in ’18. The Horned Frogs’ win, which peaked in the final quarter-hour at 26.9 million, trails only the 2018 game and the 2015 Rose Bowl (the first playoff game) as the most-watched early semifinal.”

Close games matter. The final was a dud because the game was a dud. Ohio State vs Bama in 2021 was the lowest rated game since 2005 (USC vs OU).

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I notice that you didn't provide numbers for the final four games (nor did you provide numbers for the football semifinals). I'm curious to see (and compare) those.

I also believe that regardless of wh as t Forbes speculates, we won't know what the next BE media deal will be until it is announced. A few short months ago nobody would have believed the P-12 would still be spinning its wheels on a media contract that's due to begin in a year.

My biggest concern however is what happens when the subsidies our athletic department receives dry out. That could cut the legs out of the program.
You asked specifically about TCU Georgia. I gave you those because we were comparing it to SDSU UConn.

And we don’t know what the next big east deal is. The point is the media does care about Pitino and Cooley at those schools. A lot. Forbes of all people talking about how great it is for the big east proves it. But if they do well then Big East is going to have a lot of leverage. It makes the conference visibility very strong.

Can’t compared to PAC 12 they just lost their LA market schools and is pretty much done for. Can’t speak on the subsidies part either I’m not familiar. But I have a hard time believing the basketball program will ever be cut. We just made Hurley a top 5 highest paid coach in basketball. That doesn’t seem like a program who can’t spend.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No they aren't, we are, but after us those two (and Marquette) are the only programs that have a realistic sot at accomplishing much on a national level this upcoming season. Additionally, schools that will be in the B-12 after Texas and Oklahoma depart who have finished the season in the top ten more recently than Georgetown or St John's has in basketball are Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, Oklahoma St, Kansas St, UCF. Additionally, Baylor, Kansas & BYU have finished in the top 15 during that time While it obviously isn't the SEC, the B-12 isn't close to as low of a level as you are attempting to state.

St John's and Georgetown are sleeping giants? How long did you chuckle after typing that? I had to take a break from typing to get my breath back as it was equal to some of Richard Pryor's best lines ever. They're sleeping giants like the super caldera at Yellowstone is a dormant volcano.

If the television audience that a school brought in for a championship or near championship game is one of the yardsticks to measure national relevance, it would be quite hypocritical of you to not also include the most recent final four games. Hell, lets look at regular season television audiences of the B-12 vs the BE in men's basketball. I imagine you'll find some excuse as to why certain things are only relevant when they support your cause but,...

I get it, you, A-Dub and about eleven other people believe the only thing that matters is keeping men's basketball in the Big East, the rest of the athletic department, the rest of the school for that matter be damned. The thing is we are slowly, steadily falling into a deeper hole financially and the day where the school's leadership, following a mandate by state politicians will no longer be able to support the athletic department at the level they currently do. I know that you, A-Dub and the other eleven are blindly believing that the state will always come through, even when the number jumps to $65 million, $75 million, $85 million annually but the short sighted vision is believing that the state politicians will somehow be able to justify $45k+ annual costs for in state students while the athletic department is being subsidized at a massive level.
Hard to tell with August. He may just be being contrary for his own entertainment.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Come on Pitino is in his 70s. His hiring os gonna matter to TV executives? If has a crazy run he will run off in a NY minute. Remember Iona was gonna be his last job.
Iona and St John’s aren’t comparable.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And yet….

“Earlier Saturday, the TCU-Michigan Fiesta Bowl averaged a 10.0 and 21.4 million — the highest for an early semifinal since the aforementioned Georgia-Oklahoma Rose Bowl in ’18. The Horned Frogs’ win, which peaked in the final quarter-hour at 26.9 million, trails only the 2018 game and the 2015 Rose Bowl (the first playoff game) as the most-watched early semifinal.”

Close games matter. The final was a dud because the game was a dud. Ohio State vs Bama in 2021 was the lowest rated game since 2005 (USC vs OU).
Fair point. The game was crazy in general. Michigan also has the biggest fan base in CFB which helps. TCU got lucky if you ask me (Michigan made a lot of mistakes to lose that game including two pick sixes and a fumble on the goal line. Honestly shouldn’t have been close.)

Alabama OSU NC in 2020 was a 28 point blowout and still had a better rating than the Michigan TCU semifinal game.

It wasn’t the first blowout in an NC game. It was just the least watched. Bama ND was a 28 point blowout too and it had a 15.1 rating and 26M+ views.

The team involved still had something to do with the ratings being so bad.

Reaction Score
Iona and St John’s aren’t comparable.
Pitino Is a snake. If an ACC or SEC school offered him more money he'd treat St.John's no different than he treated Iona. The man is a coaching vagabond.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Pitino Is a snake. If an ACC or SEC school offered him more money he'd treat St.John's no different than he treated Iona. The man is a coaching vagabond.
St John’s has a billionaire backing him in the largest market in the US in a conference that he’s very familiar with.

It’s a much more believable last stop for a 70 year old than a Mac school. Nobody actually believed he would stay at Iona if any P5 school came along.

Reaction Score
St John’s has a billionaire backing him in the largest market in the US in a conference that he’s very familiar with.

It’s a much more believable last stop for a 70 year old than a Mac school. Nobody actually believed he would stay at Iona if any P5 school came along.
So his word means nothing. I got it. Maybe you are right, but media companies are not gonna stake tens of millions on whether Pitino is at St. John's or not.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So his word means nothing. I got it. Maybe you are right, but media companies are not gonna stake tens of millions on whether Pitino is at St. John's or not.
Forbes disagrees with you.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Georgetown is a private university and does not required to disclose finances. Have to imagine they have a large endowment. Big 10 is not interested in UConn not just their football.
1690121505165.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Forbes disagrees with you.
What Forbes knows about this wouldn’t fill a thimble. St. John’s is a nothing program with few fans and it will remain that way, even with slick Rick. If Lou couldn’t win with that insane 1984-85 team, nobody is going to win a title there. That’s one of the best rosters in college basketball history.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What Forbes knows about this wouldn’t fill a thimble. St. John’s is a nothing program with few fans and it will remain that way, even with slick Rick. If Lou couldn’t win with that insane 1984-85 team, nobody is going to win a title there. That’s one of the best rosters in college basketball history.
Well it’s more specifically Adam Zagaria. He wrote the article.

St John’s doesn’t need to win a title either. Them and Georgetown just need to be able to make the tourney to be very relevant again.

Reaction Score
He makes 5.5 mill now. Which makes him tied for top 5 highest paid coaches in college basketball and the highest paid amongst the new generation of coaches.

Only people who make more are Calipari, Izzo, and Bill Self. Very elite company. What’s funny?

Edit: Ed Cooley might make more at around 6 mil at Georgetown. Another school not making football money. Why do we need the Big 12 to pay our coach again?
When you get paid 35 million versus 8 million you go where the money is.
It's more important to be able to fund all athletic departments then to focus strictly on basketball.
When the breakaway from the NCAA happens and it will, you need to be on a ship, not a lifeboat.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He’s a great coach. And he will elevate the program, which is great for BigEast hoops, but yeah , None of that makes ANY difference in future talk about TV contracts and all that stuff. I don’t thing he runs from St. John’s though, it will be his last job just because of who he is and where he wants to live.

also NY doesn’t really care about college sports in any sport. We have a great foothold there because WE care and we are close.

Reaction Score
Except the Big 12 could hurt the basketball program which is our selling point to other conferences. It also makes our football schedule harder.

It’s a short term move that can hurt us worse long term and become AAC part 2. Our best bet is to stay put and see what offers are out there once Mora revives football. He has a very easy schedule to do it.

Conferences want the New York market.
New B12 had 7 of 12 teams in NCAA tournament as seeds 1,1,3,6,6,8,9. BE excluding UConn had 4 of 10 teams in NCAA tournament as seeds 2,3,6,11. At least per 2023 NCAA tournament seeding the B12 is vastly superior to the NBE in basketball.
Of the 10 NBE teams 5 (Prov., St Johns, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Vill.) have start up 1979/80 history with UConn. Marq. and Depaul joined in 2003 and rest when group of 7 Catholics broke away and then bought BE name back. So not much history with half of NBE. UConn has some BE/AAC history with WV, UCF, Cin., Houston). Losing MSG NBE tournament site is a loss, how big to fans and how big to recruits not sure, nor sure that they are the same but suspect more important to fans than recruits. B12 2024 tournament is at T-Mobile center in Kansas which is site of men's college hall of fame, not a shabby location.
It's a good idea to have a better/harder football schedule.
So Mora revives football there are only 5 current P5 leagues. If he can get UConn into the Big 10 or SEC then UConn will do whatever it takes to get out of the B12 just like any other B12 current team would. PAC 10 isn't coming calling. ACC has rejected UConn more times than can count and unless the GOR falls apart the remnants (Old BE boys plus old ACC rejects that SEC/B10 don't want) won't be calling before Hurley is eligible for social security.
Let me ask this. If SEC comes calling does UConn accept? Is it all about the money difference from B12 money? Doesn't MSG offset more money, or rivalries lost or wouldn't football league games be too tough or what about culture?
UConn as a successful member of B12 basketball and football will have SEC and Big10 fighting over inviting UConn into their conferences long before the ACC GOR expires.
WHO DARES WINS

Reaction Score

Does anyone remember Larry Brown's sojourn to SMU basketball? Past is prologue.

Reaction Score
My response is not on the options list. "Ten years is an eternity"

Reaction Score
Nah. He took a job that didn’t require him to move. Call Pitino whatever name you want, but the move from New Rochelle to Queens is not evidence that he’d be interested in moving to Arkansas or Alabama.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom