B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 21 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was a genuine question. I haven’t followed football in years because I can’t stomach watching teams I like be bad.

I watch Michigan football in the meantime which clogs my perspective on who is a good team or not. When I said cupcakes I was referring to everyone else on the schedule. Not NC State, Duke, and Tennessee. But Tennessee should be a step above the 2 others this year.
I read your post the way you intended. I may be off on this, but for simplicity I see it roughly this way. I don't know who James Madison has coming back but they were good last year, their first in FBS and in the Sun Belt.

Won't win: Tennessee
Opponent favored: Duke, NC State
Toss Up: BC, Utah State, James Madison
UConn favored: everybody else

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I read your post the way you intended. I may be off on this, but for simplicity I see it roughly this way. I don't know who James Madison has coming back but they were good last year, their first in FBS and in the Sun Belt.

Thanks, it would be cool if we had an outside shot at being a top 25 team. When Michigan played UConn they were a very well coached team. You can just see that the injuries hurt a lot talent wise to begin the year.

Wonder what a roster of some of his guys healthy can do this year. Would love if Mora could run the table with teams that are beatable.

Reaction Score
and still has more juice x2 than ANY conf tourney. Its not even close.
There are 35 million reasons Connecticut needs to move. The case is closed, it's a no brainer if you get the invitation you go.
There is no telling how long the NCAA has control of the basketball tournament.
If they ruffle the wrong feathers the football schools will start their own and invite the good basketball schools to join them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There are 35 million reasons Connecticut needs to move. The case is closed, it's a no brainer if you get the invitation you go.
There is no telling how long the NCAA has control of the basketball tournament.
If they ruffle the wrong feathers the football schools will start their own and invite the good basketball schools to join them.
Are we sure the Big 12 would make the boat? Things are setting up for there to be two super conferences. Big Ten and SEC.

Texas and OU carried the Big 12. They knew it and that’s why they left. We would be jumping on a sinking ship football wise.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Are we sure the Big 12 would make the boat? Things are setting up for there to be two super conferences. Big Ten and SEC.

Texas and OU carried the Big 12. They knew it and that’s why they left. We would be jumping on a sinking ship football wise.
I would still jump on a (possibly) sinking ship, if my boat was already at the bottom of Long Island Sound, which is where we currently are. Right next to the rusted remains of the ConnFLict trophy.
And the Big 12 is hardly a sinking ship. Sounds like hoops-fan gaslighting.

Reaction Score

Any long range fears you have about the B12 can be equally applied to the Big East. You don't pass up a golden opportunity out of fear of the worst case scenario happening down the road, that's a loser's mentality. (See Holy Cross and Tulane for examples of loser mentality decisions that have gone very, very wrong for those athletic departments)

What happens if UCONN turns down the B12 and they then decide to go hybrid by offering Nova and St Johns?

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Any long range fears you have about the B12 can be equally applied to the Big East. You don't pass up a golden opportunity out of fear of the worst case scenario happening down the road, that's a loser's mentality. (See Holy Cross and Tulane for examples of loser mentality decisions that have gone very, very wrong.)

What happens if UCONN turns down the B12 and they decide to go hybrid by offering Nova and St Johns?
We can look forward to West telling us to get fired up over the Big East clash with Richmond or St. Louis.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Any fears you have about the B12 can be equally applied to the Big East. You don't pass up a golden opportunity out of fear of the worst case scenario happening down the road, that's a loser's mentality.
Except the Big 12 could hurt the basketball program which is our selling point to other conferences. It also makes our football schedule harder.

It’s a short term move that can hurt us worse long term and become AAC part 2. Our best bet is to stay put and see what offers are out there once Mora revives football. He has a very easy schedule to do it.

Conferences want the New York market.

Reaction Score
Except the Big 12 could hurt the basketball program which is our selling point to other conferences. It also makes our football schedule harder.

Kevin Ollie is not coming back to coach the team, that is the source of this irrational fear of B12 basketball which is actually a heck of a basketball league, the B12 wants to be the best basketball league which is why they hopefully want us.

and Amen to our football schedules getting harder. We can drop down to FCS if we want them easier. Finding a parking space at the Rent will also get harder.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Sometimes I wonder about my go to source Massey on ratings. They have UConn favored in 3 games FI, SH and UMass. They have UConn with a 14% chance to beat BCU away and James Madison @ 10% and even Georgia State @ 18% and Rice @ 37%. They really have UConn as a very very poor road team. Massey sees the over/under at 4 wins.
Massey seems to be a "mathematical" model for ratings so not sure how they do preseason when there are no results to factor in, must be some type of "that's how they were last year". However the model works it really discounted UConns 2022 results where had UConn@ 110 and preseason 2023 @ 126.
How they would see BCU improving so much more than UConn in 2023 (or how much of a fluke UConn's 2022 win was), even home field advantage doesn't explain much of the 17 points spread. Funny, looks like Massey sees ZT as starting QB for UConn in 2023 and he gets worse instead of better!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is not coming back to coach the team, that is the source of this irrational fear of B12 basketball which is actually a heck of a basketball league, the B12 wants to be the best basketball league which is why they hopefully want us.

and Amen to our football schedules getting harder. We can drop down to FCS if we want them easier.
The competitive disadvantages of that conference has been outlined in this thread as well as the competitive advantages we currently have that we would be giving up. Giving up those advantages and taking on those disadvantages while going to a good basketball conference for everyone else to have home field advantage is exactly why it’s a fear.

There’s a very strong chance we go there and hurt the basketball program by becoming middle of the pack while also being a bottom tier football team in an irrelevant conference with some extra money in our pocket until the next deal.

There’s a reason the Big 12 commissioner did not take the TV rights to the open market where he could’ve made more money. He wasn’t chancing exposing the value of a conference with no Texas or Oklahoma.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I would still jump on a (possibly) sinking ship, if my boat was already at the bottom of Long Island Sound, which is where we currently are. Right next to the rusted remains of the ConnFLict trophy.
And the Big 12 is hardly a sinking ship. Sounds like hoops-fan gaslighting.
Which school is going to be the football flag bearers for the conference? Oklahoma State? Texas Tech? TCU, a school that a few years ago was a Mountain West team?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Which school is going to be the football flag bearers for the conference? Oklahoma State? Texas Tech? TCU, a school that a few years ago was a Mountain West team?
I think a more accurate description would be TCU, a school that beat B1G champion Michigan in the college football playoffs.

Reaction Score
There’s a very strong chance we go there and hurt the basketball program by becoming middle of the pack

We have literally been a middle of the pack team since we joined the Big East, right up until this year's NCAA tournament

Reaction Score
The competitive disadvantages of that conference has been outlined in this thread as well as the competitive advantages we currently have that we would be giving up. Giving up those advantages and taking on those disadvantages while going to a good basketball conference for everyone else to have home field advantage is exactly why it’s a fear.

There’s a very strong chance we go there and hurt the basketball program by becoming middle of the pack while also being a bottom tier football team in an irrelevant conference with some extra money in our pocket until the next deal.

There’s a reason the Big 12 commissioner did not take the TV rights to the open market where he could’ve made more money. He wasn’t chancing exposing the value of a conference with no Texas or Oklahoma.

I assume you are talking about recruiting, do you want to know what will help recruiting? Being in a high profile national conference will help recruiting. Having boatloads of money to keep our great coach will help recruiting.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think a more accurate description would be TCU, a school that beat B1G champion Michigan in the college football playoffs.
Yup which led to the lowest rated and least watched game of the CFP and BCS era.

They were a Big 12 team that was treated like a Cinderella relevancy wise.

Reaction Score

There are going to have to be at least 60 teams in major college football.
You have to have teams that lose or you have no viewers.
Plus if too many schools get left out you have anti-trust, which none of these schools want to challenge.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I assume you are talking about recruiting, do you want to know what will help recruiting? Being in a high profile national conference will help recruiting. Having boatloads of money to keep our great coach will help recruiting.
Hurley already makes good money that’s not an issue. Our recruiting is already great.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yup which led to the lowest rated and least watched game of the CFP and BCS era.

They were a Big 12 team that was treated like a Cinderella relevancy wise.

Perhaps, but they've been in the B-12 longer than Xavier and Creighton have been in the BE yet I don't recall any of your posts attempting to belittle them as basketball schools. Does your source of criticism apply only where it helps your position?

Additionally, in one of their last years in the MWC, TCU made it to the Rose Bowl (no small task) and the computer rankings (which played a role in selecting participants in the BCS championship game until the power conferences eliminated them to prevent non P-5 schools from finishing top two) ranked TCU #1 overall before and after the bowl games.

Reaction Score
The big 12 is not going to help our recruiting…we are recruiting as good as any school in the country right now in the the big east…I think the big 12 will hurt our recruiting

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Perhaps, but they've been in the B-12 longer than Xavier and Creighton have been in the BE yet I don't recall any of your posts attempting to belittle them as basketball schools. Does your source of criticism apply only where it helps your position?

Additionally, in one of their last years in the MWC, TCU made it to the Rose Bowl (no small task) and the computer rankings (which played a role in selecting participants in the BCS championship game until the power conferences eliminated them to prevent non P-5 schools from finishing top two) ranked TCU #1 overall before and after the bowl games.
They aren’t the flagbearers for the conference.

The OBE schools are still here and hold prestige. Villanova and UConn with St John’s and Georgetown as sleeping giants. They have nationally relevant programs in big markets. Philly, DC, and New York. It’s actually a good balance of schools with prestige and history with schools who are competitive.

The Big 12 football wise does not have that. This move is about the money football brings in right? It’s very short sighted if so as they have no nationally relevant programs to help their value moving forward. TCU can be as good as they want, nobody will care. The ratings prove that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
LOL!!!!!!
He makes 5.5 mill now. Which makes him tied for top 5 highest paid coaches in college basketball and the highest paid amongst the new generation of coaches.

Only people who make more are Calipari, Izzo, and Bill Self. Very elite company. What’s funny?

Edit: Ed Cooley might make more at around 6 mil at Georgetown. Another school not making football money. Why do we need the Big 12 to pay our coach again?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom