B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 22 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
He makes 5.5 mill now. Which makes him tied for top 5 highest paid coaches in college basketball and the highest paid amongst the new generation of coaches.

Only people who make more are Calipari, Izzo, and Bill Self. Very elite company. What’s funny?

Edit: Ed Cooley might make more at around 6 mil at Georgetown. Another school not making football money. Why do we need the Big 12 to pay our coach again?

Double it, that's what it will take down the road to keep him if things go like we hope they will. Coach K ended his career at 12.5.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Straight up, if we went to the Big 12 it would be a short sighted desperation move to possibly save football. Basketball doesn’t need the money and we are in a tremendous position long term that the Big 12 doesn’t help advance there.

Again, our best bet is to stay put and let Jim Mora work his magic. He has an easy schedule so if he can get us an 8-10 win team in 2 years it puts us in very prime position to have a much better long term solution in the Big Ten. Who’s been kicking themselves for picking Rutgers over us because they wrongly thought it would give them the NY market. Which we still have for them.

Also, wouldn’t we also help with the Boston market? There’s a lot of reasons for the Big Ten to fit us into the last 4 teams they’ll be looking to add to get to 20.

Reaction Score
Double it, that's what it will take down the road to keep him if things go like we hope they will. Coach K ended his career at 12.5.
I don’t think it’s about money with Hurley

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Saying we’re in a bad position because you’re projecting we won’t be able to pay him as much as the greatest college coach of all time in 6 years is taking the goal posts and putting them outside the parking lot.

Point was, we pay Hurley very well as is. Money isn’t an issue for basketball currently. That’s what you were laughing at.

Reaction Score
Saying we’re in a bad position because you’re projecting we won’t be able to pay him as much as the greatest college coach of all time in 6 years is taking the goal posts and putting them outside the parking lot.

So is saying the B12 might eventually implode, both sides of a debate can paint a worst case scenario.

Pointing out that we might not be able to match a Kentucky offer with Big East money is not really going out on much of a limb.

BTW Ed freaking Cooley makes close to 6 million a year.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There are 35 million reasons Connecticut needs to move. The case is closed, it's a no brainer if you get the invitation you go.
There is no telling how long the NCAA has control of the basketball tournament.
If they ruffle the wrong feathers the football schools will start their own and invite the good basketball schools to join them.
You know nothing John snow, in fairness neither do I.

Reaction Score
Straight up, if we went to the Big 12 it would be a short sighted desperation move to possibly save football. Basketball doesn’t need the money and we are in a tremendous position long term that the Big 12 doesn’t help advance there.

Again, our best bet is to stay put and let Jim Mora work his magic. He has an easy schedule so if he can get us an 8-10 win team in 2 years it puts us in very prime position to have a much better long term solution in the Big Ten. Who’s been kicking themselves for picking Rutgers over us because they wrongly thought it would give them the NY market. Which we still have for them.

Also, wouldn’t we also help with the Boston market? There’s a lot of reasons for the Big Ten to fit us into the last 4 teams they’ll be looking to add to get to 20.
So what you are saying the Big East revenue covers Hurleys salary? Big 10 is not interested

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
You know nothing John snow, in fairness neither do I.
ADubs and anyone else that’s poopoo-ing this move, if we go to the Big 12 can you come to terms with it and still give our teams 100?

Change is hard. It may be odd at first but I think we gotta keep moving for survival longterm.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So is saying the B12 might eventually implode, both sides of a debate can paint a worst case scenario. Pointing out that we might not be able to match a Kentucky offer with Big East money is not really going out on much of a limb.
The Big East has 2 of the top 5 highest paid coaches already.

No conference is paying the new generation of coaches more.

Big 12 isn’t going to implode. But it’s not going to be the long term money maker people think it will be. There’s TV rating numbers and you can see how the commissioner handled negotiations to prove that. If we’re talking about football at least.

I’m not all that worried about staying in the Big East and seeing if something better comes along.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So what you are saying the Big East revenue covers Hurleys salary? Big 10 is not interested
It is right now. Georgetown is doing the same for Cooley’s salary. This doesn’t seem like a basketball issue.

The Big Ten isn’t interested because we’ve had arguably the worst football program in D1 for a few years now. If Jim can turn that around it may chance. We have the other qualifiers to fit.

Reaction Score
The Big East has 2 of the top 5 highest paid coaches already.

No conference is paying the new generation of coaches more.

Big 12 isn’t going to implode. But it’s not going to be the long term money maker people think it will be. There’s TV rating numbers and you can see how the commissioner handled negotiations to prove that. If we’re talking about football at least.

I’m not all that worried about staying in the Big East and seeing if something better comes along.
The next event will likely be the ACC breakup and that won't be for a decade. I suspect the Big 12 will add more eastern teams from that conference leftovers. At least UConn will have a seat and be in a better position that it is now. If UConn doesn't get in now, there is no guarantee that they will be called up later, when other ACC teams become available.

Reaction Score
Thank you.

These Football NPC's are rough to take seriously, except @noeynox he's a good Uconn fan who wants the best for the right reasons. Everyone else has been duped.
Always said you were among the smartest posters on the boneyard. This post only confirms it! I will believe this happens when President Maric takes the podium, but I'm willing to get high on the hopium.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
They aren’t the flagbearers for the conference.

The OBE schools are still here and hold prestige. Villanova and UConn with St John’s and Georgetown as sleeping giants. They have nationally relevant programs in big markets. Philly, DC, and New York. It’s actually a good balance of schools with prestige and history with schools who are competitive.

The Big 12 football wise does not have that. This move is about the money football brings in right? It’s very short sighted if so as they have no nationally relevant programs to help their value moving forward. TCU can be as good as they want, nobody will care. The ratings prove that.
No they aren't, we are, but after us those two (and Marquette) are the only programs that have a realistic sot at accomplishing much on a national level this upcoming season. Additionally, schools that will be in the B-12 after Texas and Oklahoma depart who have finished the season in the top ten more recently than Georgetown or St John's has in basketball are Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, Oklahoma St, Kansas St, UCF. Additionally, Baylor, Kansas & BYU have finished in the top 15 during that time While it obviously isn't the SEC, the B-12 isn't close to as low of a level as you are attempting to state.

St John's and Georgetown are sleeping giants? How long did you chuckle after typing that? I had to take a break from typing to get my breath back as it was equal to some of Richard Pryor's best lines ever. They're sleeping giants like the super caldera at Yellowstone is a dormant volcano.

If the television audience that a school brought in for a championship or near championship game is one of the yardsticks to measure national relevance, it would be quite hypocritical of you to not also include the most recent final four games. Hell, lets look at regular season television audiences of the B-12 vs the BE in men's basketball. I imagine you'll find some excuse as to why certain things are only relevant when they support your cause but,...

I get it, you, A-Dub and about eleven other people believe the only thing that matters is keeping men's basketball in the Big East, the rest of the athletic department, the rest of the school for that matter be damned. The thing is we are slowly, steadily falling into a deeper hole financially and the day where the school's leadership, following a mandate by state politicians will no longer be able to support the athletic department at the level they currently do. I know that you, A-Dub and the other eleven are blindly believing that the state will always come through, even when the number jumps to $65 million, $75 million, $85 million annually but the short sighted vision is believing that the state politicians will somehow be able to justify $45k+ annual costs for in state students while the athletic department is being subsidized at a massive level.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The next event will likely be the ACC breakup and that won't be for a decade. I suspect the Big 12 will add more eastern teams from that conference leftovers. At least UConn will have a seat and be in a better position that it is now. If UConn doesn't get in now, there is no guarantee that they will be called up later, when other ACC teams become available.
UConn should always have a seat because conferences want the #1 team in the #1 and #9 tv markets in the country. It’s just about football getting it’s ish together for them to bring us on.

Reaction Score
It was a genuine question. I haven’t followed football in years because I can’t stomach watching teams I like be bad.

I watch Michigan football in the meantime which clogs my perspective on who is a good team or not. When I said cupcakes I was referring to everyone else on the schedule. Not NC State, Duke, and Tennessee. But Tennessee should be a step above the 2 others this year.
This is the type of front running I can't stand. (No offense to this poster). But "I'm a fan of UConn BB, Michigan FB, the KC Chiefs, the Michael Jordan Bulls. "I can't watch UConn BB because they're bad." These are the type of fans that would drop the men's bb team after a prolonged drought. The FB fans on this board, if they don't have seasons will still show up a couple times a year. The FB fans support all the teams of the school.

Reaction Score
It is right now. Georgetown is doing the same for Cooley’s salary. This doesn’t seem like a basketball issue.

The Big Ten isn’t interested because we’ve had arguably the worst football program in D1 for a few years now. If Jim can turn that around it may chance. We have the other qualifiers to fit.
Georgetown is a private university and does not required to disclose finances. Have to imagine they have a large endowment. Big 10 is not interested in UConn not just their football.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No they aren't, we are, but after us those two (and Marquette) are the only programs that have a realistic sot at accomplishing much on a national level this upcoming season. Additionally, schools that will be in the B-12 after Texas and Oklahoma depart who have finished the season in the top ten more recently than Georgetown or St John's has in basketball are Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, Oklahoma St, Kansas St, UCF. Additionally, Baylor, Kansas & BYU have finished in the top 15 during that time While it obviously isn't the SEC, the B-12 isn't close to as low of a level as you are attempting to state.

St John's and Georgetown are sleeping giants? How long did you chuckle after typing that? I had to take a break from typing to get my breath back as it was equal to some of Richard Pryor's best lines ever. They're sleeping giants like the super caldera at Yellowstone is a dormant volcano.

If the television audience that a school brought in for a championship or near championship game is one of the yardsticks to measure national relevance, it would be quite hypocritical of you to not also include the most recent final four games. Hell, lets look at regular season television audiences of the B-12 vs the BE in men's basketball. I imagine you'll find some excuse as to why certain things are only relevant when they support your cause but,...

I get it, you, A-Dub and about eleven other people believe the only thing that matters is keeping men's basketball in the Big East, the rest of the athletic department, the rest of the school for that matter be damned. The thing is we are slowly, steadily falling into a deeper hole financially and the day where the school's leadership, following a mandate by state politicians will no longer be able to support the athletic department at the level they currently do. I know that you, A-Dub and the other eleven are blindly believing that the state will always come through, even when the number jumps to $65 million, $75 million, $85 million annually but the short sighted vision is believing that the state politicians will somehow be able to justify $45k+ annual costs for in state students while the athletic department is being subsidized at a massive level.
I’m not talking about how good football teams are. They can be as good as they want, they still won’t be relevant enough for tv. Even the Big 12 commissioner knows this come on.

It’s not hypocritical because the Final Four ratings were bad for the same reason. Nobody cared about SDSU and FAU. No matter how good they were. Just like a TCU playing against Georgia. It’s actually the same thing!

Media is going to care a lot more about how Cooley and Pitino do for Georgetown and St John’s this year than if TCU will make it back to CFP.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Georgetown is a private university and does not required to disclose finances. Have to imagine they have a large endowment. Big 10 is not interested in UConn not just their football.
What else makes the Big Ten not interested in UConn?

I’m actually genuinely curious because it’s just a thought. But I do wonder what has actually happened for there not to be Big Ten interest.

Reaction Score

I’m actually genuinely curious because it’s just a thought. But I do wonder what has actually happened for there not to be Big Ten interest.
Big Ten is looking at UVA and UNC. AAU schools in more poulated states.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Big Ten got Rutgers and the NYC cable boxes they wanted. No need for us.

ND is their prime target. Then UVA, UNC, Florida State. And then Washington and Oregon. We’d be lucky to be #10 on their list.

Take the Big 12 money now if they call. No way to turn that down. Our basketball will be perfectly fine.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I’m not talking about how good football teams are. They can be as good as they want, they still won’t be relevant enough for tv. Even the Big 12 commissioner knows this come on.

It’s not hypocritical because the Final Four ratings were bad for the same reason. Nobody cared about SDSU and FAU. No matter how good they were. Just like a TCU playing against Georgia. It’s actually the same thing!

Media is going to care a lot more about how Cooley and Pitino do for Georgetown and St John’s this year than if TCU will make it back to CFP.
LOL, like the media is going to give a $#!t about Cooley or Georgetown or St John's. The only reason Pitino would draw any interest is due entirely to his his soap opera level past.

How many watched (even for a short amount of time) TCU/Georgia? Granted, there wasn't the common theme "SDSU's playing so there's no reason to watch" theme permeating the nation.

You're starting to come off the rails. When people watch the CFP, it's in spite of TCU. When they don't watch the final four games it's because of every participant except us. Georgetown hired Cooley so now the whole world is going follow that program's every move.

Of the things that we actually know:
1 - Our athletic department takes in considerably less revenue than any school in a P-5 conference and the gap will continue to grow, in many cases significantly, in the future with more than 75% of those schools.
2 - The athletic department is subsidized by considerably high (compared to other schools) student fees while the school has been increasing tuition while decreasing services regularly. None of this is sustainable.
3 - One thing that the P-12's inability to find an acceptable media deal has demonstrated is that a regional athletic conference with limits in high visibility sports may not be able to strike the type of media deals that appeared reasonable just a few years ago. A new BE media deal for increased revenues when the current one expires may be out of reach.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
LOL, like the media is going to give a $#!t about Cooley or Georgetown or St John's. The only reason Pitino would draw any interest is due entirely to his his soap opera level past.

How many watched (even for a short amount of time) TCU/Georgia? Granted, there wasn't the common theme "SDSU's playing so there's no reason to watch" theme permeating the nation.
Yup which led to the lowest rated and least watched game of the CFP and BCS era.

They were a Big 12 team that was treated like a Cinderella relevancy wise.

The lowest rated and least-watched national championship of the BCS/CFP era was Georgia’s 58-point win over TCU in 2023, with an 8.7 rating and 17.22 million viewers.

TCU was just as irrelevant as SDSU. It was the same situation.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom