B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
The UConn basketball only fans make me laugh, come across as real snobs.
Ok I dislike you immensely immediately. Duke fans are snobs. I see us lose to Xavier twice last year. We beat every school outside of Big east by double digits. We won the national championship and it was boring we were so good. Here is what I would say, this team is better.

Reaction Score
Lol in the last 10 years ONE. And. that.means. ONE. school has won the title ( p5 or not) that has put football ahead of hoops.

Dont tell me we need football!
Great point. 1 out of the last 14 national championship game winners was a school that puts football above basketball, Baylor.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Great point. 1 out of the last 14 national championship game winners was a school that puts football above basketball, Baylor.
I almost checked out of this board much to everyone’s delight. But now I’m reinvigorated with a new avatar and a new mission. No more Arbys from Adub. Just real talk.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So I will be fair here. KO checking out was an equal factor to our demise as AAC. That being said, when we replaced KO Hurley desperately wanted out of AAC . Why?
I agree with that. But jetlag is a thing that would put us at a competitive disadvantage with most of our conference foes playing on MST.

Going out of our way to potentially hurt the basketball program to maybe help the football program doesn’t make sense to me.

As far as football goes, I really don’t see how this helps. It’s not like all of a sudden we’ll be able to recruit Texas area kids because we play in the conference now. We’ll be a doormat in the Big 12 making a little extra money and still, have to deal with the competitive disadvantage of jetlag. In much tougher atmospheres in areas that breathe football!!

Reaction Score
Why do we want to give up a 5 time NC winner with a bullet?
I don't agree that the B12 will kill basketball or that we won't be able to win another championship in a different conference. The competition will be better. Recruiting will be fine. We will lose some of what makes our brand of NE basketball special, but that's the price of doing business in today's landscape.

The only basketball argument I see with any merit is that we lose our status as the big fish. We own the Big East perception-wise and on the court to an extent. We won't have that same situation as a B12 member. But we certainly have the cred to hold our own and I trust Danny will step up to that challenge

Reaction Score
Jetlag is much different from a bus ride. We already dealt with that in the AAC. Don’t want to do that again.

Going to the big 12 doesn’t even guarantee good football. Just look at Rutgers move to the Big Ten. They’re the doormats of the conference.
A plane ride in country there’s no jet lag it’s not a flight to Australia.

Kids want to play for Hurley to go to the NBA right, NBA teams travel to different time zones all the time. The NCAA tournament your traveling we have done alright out west haven’t we. UConn campus isn’t going anywhere.

I don’t want to leave the big east but given the circumstances with the landscape we might not have a choice. Gotta do what’s best for UConn.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
IMG_1809.jpeg

Reaction Score
making a little extra money
This is what you're missing. It is not a little bit extra money, it is a significant amount more. We are nowhere in the ballpark of the $50M per year the B12 is paying out

August_West

Reaction Score
This is what you're missing. It is not a little bit extra money, it is a significant amount more. We are nowhere in the ballpark of the $50M per year the B12 is paying out
Why do you care?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lol

Kansas fan. I rest my case

5>4
Has nothing to do with that. You know it. It's really amazing that only 15 programs have won more than one NCAA title in Basketball. San Francisco, Cinci and Ok State all got theirs before we were born. So really only a dozen programs with multiple titles in anything like modern times.
How are titles not a really good measurement?
See: Gonzaga. Do you consider them a strong program? Are they a better program than City College NY and Holy Cross? Loyola Chicago has a title too. Guess we should kick Creighton out of the Big East along with Xavier and St. Johns and bring in Loyola, San Francisco and Holy Cross. It's a trade of all Catholic schools. Get those titles.

All I'm saying is the big football schools are trending up. The big hoops schools are still dominating. UConn will be fine either way.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We do just fine without it. We have two home arenas and a recently built practice court. What more does basketball need?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We do just fine without it. We have two home arenas and a recently built practice court. What more does basketball need?
Did you miss the point where both arenas are in need of major renovations? Especially the XL of course, which isn't "ours", we have to pay to play there.

Reaction Score
I almost checked out of this board much to everyone’s delight. But now I’m reinvigorated with a new avatar and a new mission. No more Arbys from Adub. Just real talk.
The Covid cancelled tournament year. Kansas was #1, Gonzaga #2, Dayton #3, SDSU #6, Creighton #7, Kentucky #8, Nova #10, Duke #11, Seton Hall #15 and a bunch of the talking heads had SHU their final 4.

It highly likely would've been 1 out of 15 years.

I actually think we'll end up in the Big 12 and think it's the move we should make but the arguments thrown around here are so tired. People convincing themselves the Big 12 is filled with better schools than they actually are, that UConn is similar to those schools, that basketball won't be impacted at all but instead may get even better in the Big 12 and the same one we've heard for a decade- the Big East is finished, they won't be on TV, they'll be left out of the tournament etc.

Reaction Score
Basketball doesn't need more. If it's a strictly a basketball decision then we'd stay in the Big East. But the AD is making a decision on all sports. When it's a huge boost to nearly every sports, a lateral move in men's basketball, and only hurts soccer (which let's be honest, nobody here cares about) it's reasonable to consider

August_West

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with that. You know it. It's really amazing that only 15 programs have won more than one NCAA title in Basketball. San Francisco, Cinci and Ok State all got theirs before we were born. So really only a dozen programs with multiple titles in anything like modern times.

See: Gonzaga. Do you consider them a strong program? Are they a better program than City College NY and Holy Cross? Loyola Chicago has a title too. Guess we should kick Creighton out of the Big East along with Xavier and St. Johns and bring in Loyola, San Francisco and Holy Cross. It's a trade of all Catholic schools. Get those titles.

All I'm saying is the big football schools are trending up. The big hoops schools are still dominating. UConn will be fine either way.
Exactly Uconn and Zags will be fine either way and yes sec football schools like Bama are throwing more dollars and getting better. I’m not scared. You know why? Because this is all going to shake down again in 5 years. And then 10 years. And zero of you know what that looks like just like zero of you knew 10 years ago. While we traverse these land mines I’m happy to win a couple more titles.

Reaction Score
I agree with that. But jetlag is a thing that would put us at a competitive disadvantage with most of our conference foes playing on MST.

Going out of our way to potentially hurt the basketball program to maybe help the football program doesn’t make sense to me.

As far as football goes, I really don’t see how this helps. It’s not like all of a sudden we’ll be able to recruit Texas area kids because we play in the conference now. We’ll be a doormat in the Big 12 making a little extra money and still, have to deal with the competitive disadvantage of jetlag. In much tougher atmospheres in areas that breathe football!!
Disagree with you on football. I think UConn would have no trouble competing in the Big 12 very quickly and the money is not a little extra money. It's a ton of extra money.

Reaction Score
The UConn basketball only fans make me laugh, come across as real snobs.
Count me as one of them. I don’t know how you can definitively say we need football. We might, depending on how things break, but I don’t know that as an absolute.

Reaction Score
To not get complacent. Do our due dillagance for what’s best for the athletic programs and university what’s best for UConn athletics is ultimately what’s best for basketball.

August_West

Reaction Score
Disagree with you on football. I think UConn would have no trouble competing in the Big 12 very quickly and the money is not a little extra money. It's a ton of extra money.
I mean I think we could beat Kansas this year, but I can’t pencil in much else

Reaction Score

I think Gonzaga is a great program but I don't put them up with the top programs because they've never won. You gotta win. It's part of the reason I don't think much of Big 12 football. Now that Oklahoma and Texas are gone it's a bunch of second tier schools with BYU as their lone title winner in the past 80 or so years.

August_West

Reaction Score
I think Gonzaga is a great program but I don't put them up with the top programs because they've never won. You gotta win. It's part of the reason I don't think much of Big 12 football. Now that Oklahoma and Texas are gone it's a bunch of second tier schools with BYU as their lone title winner in the past 80 or so years.
BYU’s first January visit to XL is going to be a barn burner

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Covid cancelled tournament year. Kansas was #1, Gonzaga #2, Dayton #3, SDSU #6, Creighton #7, Kentucky #8, Nova #10, Duke #11, Seton Hall #15 and a bunch of the talking heads had SHU their final 4.

It highly likely would've been 1 out of 15 years.

I actually think we'll end up in the Big 12 and think it's the move we should make but the arguments thrown around here are so tired. People convincing themselves the Big 12 is filled with better schools than they actually are, that UConn is similar to those schools, that basketball won't be impacted at all but instead may get even better in the Big 12 and the same one we've heard for a decade- the Big East is finished, they won't be on TV, they'll be left out of the tournament etc.
I'm not far off from what you said here really. But I don't think you can equate thinking UConn would do as well, maybe even better in the Big XII with: the Big East is finished. I think we'd do just as well but think the Big East will be fine, if weaker without UConn.

My focus is more on UConn and CT. I honestly think the school is throwing money at the AD, spending like a P5 despite the annual deficit because they believe they can get a P5 bid and close the funding gap (somewhat). If it becomes clear that isn't the case, if it's staying in the Big East for good and bigger money is out of reach forever, then they'd shut a ton of stuff down. Maybe FBS football, maybe other sports get the axe.

In short, the school isn't going to run this kind of deficit indefinitely. It is doing it to get to that next step.

August_West

Reaction Score
Basketball doesn't need more. If it's a strictly a basketball decision then we'd stay in the Big East
Every decision for UConn athletics should be made with that notion first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom