Article: Tremont Waters Prepares For Next Move | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Article: Tremont Waters Prepares For Next Move

Reaction Score
Ok. I'll just watch this one play out. Admittedly I know nothing other than what I've read here.

I'll just say that I do not agree with your philosophy that the inquiry begins and ends with the fact that he is a great player. I believe in fit, and I believe our track record shows that that matters. And yours makes clear that your primary reason for wanting him is as a replacement for Alterique, not a complement, because you do not believe Alterique's shoulder will hold up. You may be right about that; I certainly don't know. But I do worry about the notion of bringing in a kid who appears to be negotiating for Alterique's job in advance.
This post is really out there. I never said anything close to me wanting or thinking Tremont would take Alterique's job and never said I don't think Alterique's shoulder will hold up. I've said what I always say over and over about UConn basketball, we are always at our best when we start two point guards. I see Alterique and Waters complimenting each other very well just like Boat and Bazz did.

Reaction Score
Woof.....light years ahead. Not even close. There is ZERO college experience in the front court and your good feeling about these guys doesn't change that.
Light yrs? Thats pure revisionist history. Phil nolan, olander, and an unknown brimah isnt light yrs better than anything. Experience =/= better

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Point guards with an outside shot are more valuable than bigs. You should Nochimson him anyway.

Not when don't have any legit bigs, and already have 2 pgs.

Reaction Score
Woof.....light years ahead. Not even close. There is ZERO college experience in the front court and your good feeling about these guys doesn't change that.
I dunno about zero experience. In-game experience yeah, but at the end of last year Mamadou did practice with the team, so he knows what it's like to bang in the post at the college level.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
People are saying that UConn and Creighton are his outlets, as he waits for Duke/Duval. They have said that. Also said he doesn't have other offers. He's been called desperate.

I think this has been made quite evident by various sources in the know. We've little reason to doubt that bit at this point. If he gets UK/Duke/KU offer, he's there ime.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Tremont's attitude towards UConn and his recruitment in general, waiting for the "big offer", is really a case of the bigger newfound trend in the sport of college basketball.

Our recruiting has simply changed from the early 2000's Calhoun era. The constant infusion of NBA money and brand building for the next level, fueled by the existence of a "one-and-done" rule has created this rift between programs that previously were more or less on the same tier or respective playing field. Guys that used to be our prime targets in each class these days prefer to be role players at the "top 5" programs because of the perceived earnings boost that it will lead to in their future endeavors, and looking at the data I can't say that they are wrong. We need to adapt or fall to the wayside, fortunately I believe dumping Miller and bringing on Chillious is exactly what that move intended.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is a weird argument. There are 0 good bigs we're in a position to bring in. There is 1 good PG we're in a position to bring in. Maybe I'm crazy but I like the idea of adding more good players

Plus the fact we have a buttload of open scholarships.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This post is really out there. I never said anything close to me wanting or thinking Tremont would take Alterique's job and never said I don't think Alterique's shoulder will hold up. I've said what I always say over and over about UConn basketball, we are always at our best when we start two point guards. I see Alterique and Waters complimenting each other very well just like Boat and Bazz did.
Must have confused you with another poster. I'm remote now and can't search and paste, but I could have sworn you harped on Alterique's shoulder repeatedly and diagnosed it before his own doctors did, and even questioned KO's wisdom in giving him a scholarship in the first place because of his prior history with that injury. And I thought you mentioned your concern about the shoulder again in this very thread.

As to your continued citation of Bazz and Boat or Kemba and Bazz, how exactly does that work if all three are on the team at the same time? Because you might remember that Jalen also has designs on running the team.

Absolutely no one is saying we don't want this kid. What a lot of people are saying is that it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen, and we don't get the obsession with him to the point where some of you think we should be bending over backwards to offer him the moon and the stars when it's not a position of desperate need for us. Just feels like being set up for the continued narrative that we've suffered another devastating recruiting loss.

If and when that happens, does it count as another mark against Ollie, in addition to his failure to close him the first time? Just want to be prepared for the fallout.

Reaction Score
Light yrs? Thats pure revisionist history. Phil nolan, olander, and an unknown brimah isnt light yrs better than anything. Experience =/= better
Olander was a senior who had already had tourney experience, Brimah had the size/athleticism to at least be a shot contender and you're forgetting Daniels who played mostly 4 down the stretch. Nolan stunk yes but at least had experience in the system. As of right now we not only have zero experience but who on this roster is going to contend shots at the rim? Nothing close to a shot blocker which has been a staple to this defense since forever.

Reaction Score
Plus the fact we have a buttload of open scholarships.
Yeah exactly, at this point we need players. And then KO can spend the summer and fall trying to figure out how to gameplan around what we have. Not an ideal scenario but it's what has to happen. In 2018 I'd have no problem with him being a little more picky with who he brings in

Reaction Score
Olander was a senior who had already had tourney experience, Brimah had the size/athleticism to at least be a shot contender and you're forgetting Daniels who played mostly 4 down the stretch. Nolan stunk yes but at least had experience in the system. As of right now we not only have zero experience but who on this roster is going to contend shots at the rim? Nothing close to a shot blocker which has been a staple to this defense since forever.
Before that season started you knew thats what brimah would be? Dont lie, you didnt. We dont know how good this giys will perform(carlton, cobb, diarra). But just saying they are worse because they arent as experienced is a flawed argument

Reaction Score
Before that season started you knew thats what brimah would be? Dont lie, you didnt. We dont know how good this giys will perform(carlton, cobb, diarra). But just saying they are worse because they arent as experienced is a flawed argument
I'd take a senior Olander, junior Daniels and Nolan over those three any day of the week. Taking Brimah out of the equation. And LOL @ experience doesn't matter.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
It's a flawed argument if you are dealing in absolutes, but I'd reckon it's a pretty smart, and safe bet if you had to wager one way or another.

How often do you see bigs enter the college game and become impact players right away? And now how many of those bigs were outside of the top 20 recruits who were not pegged as future pros coming into college with serious skills, very very few. Durham was a top 25 kid originally and most people werent happy with his production, now plug in a juco and undersized C, I don't see how I can safely just assume an upgrade over Brimah and Facey besides sheer positivity and optimism in the light of facts and numbers.

Reaction Score
I'd take a senior Olander, junior Daniels and Nolan over those three any day of the week. Taking Brimah out of the equation. And LOL @ experience doesn't matter.
Yup i said experience doesnt matter lmaoo. Listen better. And if your going to add daniels you have to add larrier

Reaction Score
It's a flawed argument if you are dealing in absolutes, but I'd reckon it's a pretty smart, and safe bet if you had to wager one way or another.

How often do you see bigs enter the college game and become impact players right away? And now how many of those bigs were outside of the top 20 recruits who were not pegged as future pros coming into college with serious skills, very very few. Durham was a top 25 kid originally and most people werent happy with his production, now plug in a juco and undersized C, I don't see how I can safely just assume an upgrade over Brimah and Facey besides sheer positivity and optimism in the light of facts and numbers.
But nolan, olander, and brimah werent "impact" players in the sense your saying. And i agree to an extent. If were asking these new guys to do what olander, nolan, and freshman brimah did that isnt an unreasonable expectation. They were tge ABSOLUTE definition of serviceable. The brimah and facey duo was better than nolan, olander, so if your point is you dont think they'll be better then brimah and facey next yr then i agree. But nolan and olander???

BUConn10

Reaction Score
But nolan, olander, and brimah werent "impact" players in the sense your saying
They weren't studs, but I'm expecting better results with that front court than the incoming lot of freshman with no playing experience. Plus my usage of "impact" was with regards to incoming freshman.

Reaction Score
They weren't studs, but I'm expecting better results with that front court than the incoming lot of freshman with no playing experience. Plus my usage of "impact" was with regards to incoming freshman.
Oh ok understood. If your betting sure you take the known. But they could very well be just as good if not better than 2014's big guys and it not be suprising

Reaction Score

Larrier is Daniels. At this point anyway. People killed Soph year Daniels, and this board has threads from Feb 2014 when Daniels was being eviscerated. Me, personally, I sure hope Carlton, Diarra and Cobb are better than Nolan and Brimah (take Olander out of it, he didn't even play). It would be a disappointment if they weren't better than Nolan and Brimah. So, yeah, I'd definitely trade the 3 new guys for the 2014 centers.

Reaction Score
Larrier is Daniels. At this point anyway. People killed Soph year Daniels, and this board has threads from Feb 2014 when Daniels was being eviscerated. Me, personally, I sure hope Carlton, Diarra and Cobb are better than Nolan and Brimah (take Olander out of it, he didn't even play). It would be a disappointment if they weren't better than Nolan and Brimah. So, yeah, I'd definitely trade the 3 new guys for the 2014 centers.
Okay so im not losing it lol. I think ppl tend to remember past players as being better than they actually were, especially role players. Nolan and freshman brimah werent impressive at all. They were nothing more than serviceable

Reaction Score
I think this has been made quite evident by various sources in the know. We've little reason to doubt that bit at this point. If he gets UK/Duke/KU offer, he's there ime.

Some people have gotten inside info and presented it, but then others made assumptions about that info that were wrong, and the Boneyard narrative developed. And in an earlier post on the previous page even 99 is quoted as saying that Waters has also a limited amount of offers out there ( say 4 or 5). I credit the poster for saying he doesn't believe, and neither do I, but I also know that 99 knows there are many more school involved. I know the kid is playing it close to the vest but the fact that he isn't taking many visits right now is probably a very good sign.

Reaction Score
Must have confused you with another poster. I'm remote now and can't search and paste, but I could have sworn you harped on Alterique's shoulder repeatedly and diagnosed it before his own doctors did, and even questioned KO's wisdom in giving him a scholarship in the first place because of his prior history with that injury. And I thought you mentioned your concern about the shoulder again in this very thread.

As to your continued citation of Bazz and Boat or Kemba and Bazz, how exactly does that work if all three are on the team at the same time? Because you might remember that Jalen also has designs on running the team.

Absolutely no one is saying we don't want this kid. What a lot of people are saying is that it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen, and we don't get the obsession with him to the point where some of you think we should be bending over backwards to offer him the moon and the stars when it's not a position of desperate need for us. Just feels like being set up for the continued narrative that we've suffered another devastating recruiting loss.

If and when that happens, does it count as another mark against Ollie, in addition to his failure to close him the first time? Just want to be prepared for the fallout.
What? Both, why is there all of a sudden room for only one? Worked out amazingly well with Bazz and Boat. When our team is great it is always run with 2 starting point guards. Unfortunately we also can't be positive Alterique's shoulder will hold up.
Amazing you got that out of what I really said. Also, Jalen will be gone after this season and we will need another point guard. Jalen, Alterique and Tremont would all play a ton this upcoming season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom