Article: Tremont Waters Prepares For Next Move | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Article: Tremont Waters Prepares For Next Move

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't care enough to go back and look, but I'm positive there would at least 100 posts from this past season where people talked about the need for a 2nd ball handler on the court. It's not hard to envision a scenario where Gilbert and Waters are both able to run the offense
Is that going too small?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that doesn't have an issue with him saying he wants a program to let him run the show? He's a point guard, and we are a guard oriented offense where guards in the past (Kemba, Bazz, Boat, Jalen, etc) have ran the show.

Also later in that same exact quote he says "and let me show the world what I can do and also make my teammates better." That's exactly what a great guard should do, run the show while making everyone around him better.
I want a kid that wants to run the team but doesn't say it or let it show with his body language if it isn't happening or isn't going well.

Confidence and competitive fire are great. Leadership is greater.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Give me cocktail players all day long. You don't think KEA, Kemba etc. had this attitude? Self-confidence is what makes players great.
Huh? 'Cocky' not 'cocktail'........

Reaction Score
Is that going too small?
I'd be lying if I said that didn't concern me a little bit. Although I think you can gameplan around that offensively and defensively to make it work, especially since both seem to be above average in some aspects defensively

Reaction Score
Does he have till the 17th to commit?

That's the last time to sign a letter of intent.

He could commit 2 weeks before school starts and get onto the team if he really wanted.

If he's smart, he commits before college summer classes start so he can get familiar with his new team and facilities.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Give me cocktail players all day long. You don't think KEA, Kemba etc. had this attitude? Self-confidence is what makes players great.
Attitude? Sure. Saying it in an interview, before you even sign? Not so much.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The signing period is meaningless.

There is no real significance to May 17th.

Reaction Score
up you had to have gone to ND-West Haven because not recognizing the facts has to point to blinders?

Having said that we would all welcome the kid in a second.

The narrative driven home on this board is that he is not much in demand, and that, since UConn or Creighton are his default, it is insulting that he only thinks of these schools as a last resort. The idea that he's desperate yet looking down his nose at UConn is driving people crazy. But this is a notion that has developed here on the Boneyard and it has no relation to the facts.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The narrative driven home on this board is that he is not much in demand, and that, since UConn or Creighton are his default, it is insulting that he only thinks of these schools as a last resort. The idea that he's desperate yet looking down his nose at UConn is driving people crazy. But this is a notion that has developed here on the Boneyard and it has no relation to the facts.
I'm not seeing many people suggest that he is desperate or not in demand. The vast majority of posters have acknowledged his desireable skills and the fact that he has options, and we would like to see him here.

That doesn't mean we love the inordinate amount of attention being devoted (and perhaps sought) for a kid who already chose another school twice, has made clear that he has terms he's looking to have met, and who plays a position as to which we are not desperate.

Now if he was a talented big, I'd Nochimson his ass.

Reaction Score
I'm not seeing many people suggest that he is desperate or not in demand. The vast majority of posters have acknowledged his desireable skills and the fact that he has options, and we would like to see him here.

That doesn't mean we love the inordinate amount of attention being devoted (and perhaps sought) for a kid who already chose another school twice, has made clear that he has terms he's looking to have met, and who plays a position as to which we are not desperate.

Chose another school twice? I'm only aware of G'town. But, I'd say we disagree on what people here are suggesting. The last thread and part of this thread are littered with the idea that UConn is a default for him. It has maybe been said 100x.

pj

Reaction Score

Point guards with an outside shot are more valuable than bigs. You should Nochimson him anyway.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Chose another school twice? I'm only aware of G'town. But, I'd say we disagree on what people here are suggesting. The last thread and part of this thread are littered with the idea that UConn is a default for him. It has maybe been said 100x.
I could be conflating him with another recruit but I thought I remembered reading that he had something with Texas before Georgetown? In any event, the point still stands and you are saying something different now. Of course it has been said that we are a default for him. That's a fact. At a minimum we know Georgetown was his first choice or at least first commitment. I'm not blaming him in the least for preferring UK and Duke also, but that seems pretty obvious, too, no?

You said that people had been driving home the notion that he is not in demand and desperate. That's where I think you are wrong. I don't see many, if any, people saying that.

Reaction Score

We are desperate for great basketball players and this one happens to be from Connecticut. Chose another school twice? You might be thinking of Boatright who chose two other schools before picking UConn where a point guard wasn't a necessity since we already had Bazz. It worked out pretty great for Boat and Uconn. The rest is just you speculating on a kid you know very little about.

Reaction Score
I could be conflating him with another recruit but I thought I remembered reading that he had something with Texas before Georgetown? In any event, the point still stands and you are saying something different now. Of course it has been said that we are a default for him. That's a fact. At a minimum we know Georgetown was his first choice or at least first commitment. I'm not blaming him in the least for preferring UK and Duke also, but that seems pretty obvious, too, no?

You said that people had been driving home the notion that he is not in demand and desperate. That's where I think you are wrong. I don't see many, if any, people saying that.

People are saying that UConn and Creighton are his outlets, as he waits for Duke/Duval. They have said that. Also said he doesn't have other offers. He's been called desperate.

Reaction Score
People are saying that UConn and Creighton are his outlets, as he waits for Duke/Duval. They have said that. Also said he doesn't have other offers. He's been called desperate.

Even 99 is insinuating that which I don't believe for a second.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We are desperate for great basketball players and this one happens to be from Connecticut. Chose another school twice? You might be thinking of Boatright who chose two other schools before picking UConn where a point guard wasn't a necessity since we already had Bazz. It worked out pretty great for Boat and UConn. The rest is just you speculating on a kid you know very little about.
Ok. I'll just watch this one play out. Admittedly I know nothing other than what I've read here.

I'll just say that I do not agree with your philosophy that the inquiry begins and ends with the fact that he is a great player. I believe in fit, and I believe our track record shows that that matters. And yours makes clear that your primary reason for wanting him is as a replacement for Alterique, not a complement, because you do not believe Alterique's shoulder will hold up. You may be right about that; I certainly don't know. But I do worry about the notion of bringing in a kid who appears to be negotiating for Alterique's job in advance.

Reaction Score
Guys he's not desperate we can forget that thought. Said before I would welcome him and his dad with open arms and if he commits he'll be all in. I would love to see him in a husky uniform and let's just sit back and see how.it all plays out. He might surprise us all in one way or another.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom