Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Mississippi State | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Mississippi State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno and Vic are two outstanding coaches in D-1 NCAA WBB. In some ways, they are the same type of coach, but in other ways, they are two completely different coaches. Geno pushes to have his offensive schemes run off of the great defense that he preaches. If you don't buy into that, you will not succeed at UCONN. Vic's game is more press the offense (run and gun) and get back quickly on defense. I think Vic's overall game is more like the game that Ossining's Dan Ricci runs. I think that Saniya Chong was "transformed" by Geno to the player that she ended up being during her Senior Year at UCONN. It took Geno 3 years to do so (which was completely different than how she came out of Ossining HS). AEH originally thought that this was the type of program that she also wanted to go to, but got a reality check when she started playing for Geno. UCONN is NOT for everyone. Mississippi State University and Vic is very much closer to what AEH had at both Ossining and at Blair Academy (as Coaches and Program), and will end up being a much better fit for her game than what UCONN was (or better said, ended up not being). As many have commented here, Geno has said that he no longer wanted AEH in his program.

We all know that UCONN will be just fine with the team that they have now and in the future, and Geno will continue to have the best program in NCAA D-1 WBB. However, this is not to say that once this senior group at MSS is gone, that Vic's program will suffer. I think that Vic is a very very smart coach and is simply restocking up on the type of players he wants in his program for the next 4 to 6 years. Don't be surprised that MSS continues to be up there in the Top 10 (maybe even Top 5) D-1 Programs, year after year. Also di don't be surprised that AEH's name comes up again on the BONEYARD discussions while she is playing for MSS and helping them dominate the SEC.

I can only wish AEH nothing but the best at MSS. "NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM - THE UCONN WOMEN HUSKIES WIN THE 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW"

Reaction Score
I wish AEH the best with her decision and future basketball endeavors. I have no opinion on her ability because I didn't see her play enough here. But her numbers in HS were more than impressive..36 points per game, just under 4000 points scored to be the highest in NY state history. With those numbers she could pretty much pick up the phone and play anywhere.
She obviously didn't enjoy playing here for Geno. I am one of the few BYers who think that basketball is a GAME and should be enjoyed for the brief time that a player plays it.
The Seal team BUDs training( aka Hell week) that seems to be what has become life for freshman here at Uconn is certainly an interesting strategy.

I agree that basketball is a game and should be enjoyed, but division 1 just isn't that, especially the top teir schools. This was the main reason my daughter decided she wanted to go D3. She wanted it to be fun. She didn't want it to be a job.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That 6'7 player was a project who is light years ahead of where she was 2 years ago.. that's coaching. And if you'd seen where their program was when he got there versus where it is now, that too is coaching... and Vivians is the only 5-star player he's signed. There are a few more waiting in the wings now though.
I didn’t say he wasn’t a good coach; I said I didn’t think he’s the second best in the country.

Reaction Score
I'm not surprise that's the difference you would focus on and glad to see that you caught the last rerun of GI Jane to enhance you knowledge of BUDS training.
If you truly understood the difference you wouldn't make this comparison.
More insults??? You need to get a new life

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
More insults??? You need to get a new life
maxresdefault.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Source? Per Geno she was happy to be there, but he did not want her there. I did not want to say another word on this subject, but one thing we do not need is the gradual development of some folk lure about this recruit.
My2cents did not say she was not happy but, that she did not enjoy playing here for Geno.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Schaefer never coaches AEH. I would expect that when Gary Blair retires (within a year or 2), Texas A & M's 1st call will be to Schaefer. I can't imagine Schaefer turning that down.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think she sits all of next year.

She must enroll in Miss St's current semester and successfully complete the academic requirements in order to play in the Spring of 2019. The NCAA rule is as follows:
Academic year in residence: Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward fulfilling an academic year in residence.

Reaction Score
I agree that basketball is a game and should be enjoyed, but division 1 just isn't that, especially the top teir schools. This was the main reason my daughter decided she wanted to go D3. She wanted it to be fun. She didn't want it to be a job.

I'm thinking the same may happen for my daughter..................not sure that everyone appreciates what a difficult life DI athletes have............ they must really, really love the sport to make the sacrifices playing at that level demands.............

Reaction Score
Come to think of it, I don't think that Geno has EVER scheduled games against teams who have players who transferred out of UCONN, playing on their programs. I doubt, that Geno would have (or would in the future) schedule games against Arizona State, George Mason, Penn State, Delaware, Southern California, and now Mississippi State University.

Reaction Score
Come to think of it, I don't think that Geno has EVER scheduled games against teams who have players who transferred out of UCONN, playing on their programs. I doubt, that Geno would have (or would in the future) schedule games against Arizona State, George Mason, Penn State, Delaware, Southern California, and now Mississippi State University.

well that's a novel way to avoid playing UConn...................

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The players were not from UCONN originally except Sadie, what would be the point of scheduling a game against these schools-so they can come back to a place they transferred from?

Reaction Score
Thats my point....their job is to be full time student....their part time job is to play basketball.
Vince Lombardi said "Winning is everything, its the only thing" But at what cost to win?
I am not a sports snowflake that says everyone deserves a trophy...but in this day and age, is it totally out of bounds to discuss how these top athletes are treated in the pursuit of that winning? Penn St football, USA Gymnastics buried obvious abuse so as to not upset the "apple cart" of winning

Reaction Score
Interesting choice of words. ND's Koko Nelson was just interviewed by Andy Katz and he asked her for a one-word description of Muffet and she said: "Fierce."

I never bit on A E-H for the Irish, primarily for personnel reasons (not, not personal). The Irish have two guards coming in this year (Gilbert, Prohaska), and a point guard in 2019, when A E-H will be eligible. And that PG -- Anaya Peoples -- said she'd play any position for ND. Based on very recent clips of her, I think Peoples can easily move to the off-guard position. And there are a slew of 2020 guards that ND has shown interest in (and visa versa). So, didn't see a fit there.

Two thoughts:

- Wish more than one place had been seen.

- Especially when that place is in a different neck of the woods, so to speak. I spent two years in Jackson, Mississippi, following graduation from Notre Dame. Jackson took some serious getting used to for a Long Islander,but I ultimately liked the experience. Starkville, however, was a trip into "deep country" back in the late 70s (it was the agricultural school at it's inception). The school and area had grown quite a bit during my last trip in the late 1990s, but this is -- as some said -- a far cry from the Hudson Valley.

If it hasn't been since the late 90's that you have been through the Starkville area then it's a complete different place. The University alone has been through a complete transformation in just the past 5 years alone.

Reaction Score
Thats my point....their job is to be full time student....their part time job is to play basketball.
Vince Lombardi said "Winning is everything, its the only thing" But at what cost to win?
I am not a sports snowflake that says everyone deserves a trophy...but in this day and age, is it totally out of bounds to discuss how these top athletes are treated in the pursuit of that winning? Penn St football, USA Gymnastics buried obvious abuse so as to not upset the "apple cart" of winning

at UConn's level, basketball is your job..............I don't remember which interview it was but I remember Geno basically saying that his players are making $52,000 to get an education because of their basketball skills and that means players have to be available weekdays, weeknights, weekends, whenever the team needs them............how Molly Bent and Kia Nurse have 4.0 GPAs is beyond me..........

Reaction Score

I don’t know where your daughter went, but my daughter also played in D3, at a perennial conference champion and NCAA winner. It was every bit as intense as a D1 program and the traveling was all over the Midwest. The only difference was no TV and no scholarships, with the crowds being larger than any one would see at most D1 games. It was a job, and by her junior year she had had enough. The fun was never there.

Reaction Score
I don’t know where your daughter went, but my daughter also played in D3, at a perennial conference champion and NCAA winner. It was every bit as intense as a D1 program and the traveling was all over the Midwest. The only difference was no TV and no scholarships, with the crowds being larger than any one would see at most D1 games. It was a job, and by her junior year she had had enough. The fun was never there.

I suppose it depends on the individual program.............your daughter's program sounds like the cream of the crop in DIII..............the two kid's that I know that moved from DI down to DIII say it's not at all the same kind of pressure and the DI kids we've spoken to at very middle of the road schools say it is an absolute grind..............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’ve seen similar statements about Schafer here but IMO Muffet is the second best coach in the country. Having a 6-7 player and Victoria Vivians would make many coaches look great. MSU players had the game of their lives last year, and congrats to them for their excellent effort, but I think people are getting a little carried away with the Schafer praise.

That 6'7 player was a project who is light years ahead of where she was 2 years ago.. that's coaching. And if you'd seen where their program was when he got there versus where it is now, that too is coaching... and Vivians is the only 5-star player he's signed. There are a few more waiting in the wings now though.
Regarding that 6'7" player, my view of things is that she is either on schedule or slightly behind in development which would make Vic an average (mabe slightly above) coach-meaning another coach could have achieved the same result with McCowan. This is the junior year for Teaira McCowan. Among the 2015 HS class post players two players have already achieved much more national acclaim than McCowan. Kalani Brown was named WBCA All american as a Sophmore and Kristine Anigwe was named National Freshmen of the year. Since both Anigwe and Brown were ranked ahead of McCowan that is not surprising. However, the post play and development of both Megan Gustafson Iowa (#80) and Hallie Thome Michigan (#64 ) has far exceeded the development of McCowan who was ranked (#45). To simply and conclude,
Kim Barnes Arico & Lisa Bluder could have developed McCowan to her current state just as fast as Vic did because they did it for lesser ranked players. This is not to say that Kim or Lisa are better coaches than Vic, it simply to say let's not use McCowan's development as proof that Vic is a "great" coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As I said earlier, let's all wish AEH, Vic and the MSSU Program the best of luck and then just move on to resume our "Regularly Scheduled TV Programming", watching the "UCONN Women's Basketball Program Wins The 2018 National Championship TV Show"

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Schaefer never coaches AEH. I would expect that when Gary Blair retires (within a year or 2), Texas A & M's 1st call will be to Schaefer. I can't imagine Schaefer turning that down.

is the Texas A&M job that much of a better opportunity? I really have no idea...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom