Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Mississippi State | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Mississippi State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think NCAA softball exhibition season has already started.......of course the Northeast teams have to travel to play which I don't think they mind all that much....one of my daughter's former team mates already has two home runs for UCLA as a freshman..

Oh, I'm not surprised that they're playing. Men's lax (the sport I actually played in college) started last weekend with a number of games in the Northeast played in huge field houses. ND will do the same this Sunday with a game scheduled at the same time as the girls game. Will have to see which one is "tapeable." Such problems. ;)

Two home runs for the Bruins? That's commendable. ;)

Reaction Score
that's an interesting thought....I don't remember a recruit from out of the area like Moriah ever talking about adjusting to life in the Northeast..did I miss that conversation?

Have you read KLS or DT's thoughts on New England? Can't off hand think of one that commented on from Tx, but how many has Uconn had from Tx?
I know of a poster that has made, maybe off line, comments on that bias and =the "thrills" of living in the Northeast --that poster would meet my North and East movement.
When I move away from my long time "home" I missed it. But it ain't my home no more.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Actually it says you can register until January 16th. Obviously that date has also passed, but sometimes schools make exceptions. This could be one of those times.

Also there is a "LAST DAY TO ADD CLASSES" that may not have expired yet at MS. Schools can make exceptions whenever and as long as it's in accordance with the NCAA. You can bet whatever they did, was done with the approval and sanction of their compliance department. They don't want this matter to come back and bite them in the A@$ this fall when they expect her to become eligible to play.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Also there is a "LAST DAY TO ADD CLASSES" that may not have expired yet at MS. Schools can make exceptions whenever and as long as it's in accordance with the NCAA. You can bet whatever they did, was done with the approval and sanction of their compliance department. They don't want this matter to come back and bite them in the A@$ this fall when they expect her to become eligible to play.

Why would she be expected to become eligible to play this fall?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

In every transfer thread I have ever seen on any school's fan board there are a surprising # of fans who simply can never remember the basic rule. Never ceases to amaze.

Reaction Score
Let me first say I have been a follower of UConn hoops for quite some time..back as early as '96(big #33 supporter) so it would be fair to say I have watched a lot and been to many games supporting UConn. That said I am very excited to be adding AEH to the Bulldog family and feel she will be a great addition. From what I have read in the above posts, I can sense a lot of people expected great things from this lady and if Coach Geno and his staff put the time into initially getting her on the UConn roster and campus I know she is no doubt a top notch talent. I hope she is ready to get to Starkville and she is ready to put in the work necessary to continue to help grow our Woman's basketball program into the type of program Vic has set out to make it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wow!!! huskymedic is sure getting a lot of mileage out of THIS post, and I'm reading every one of them. Some very interesting responses here. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's been a little less than 7 weeks since she left (her last game was on Dec 22). I'd like to think that in that time, she was able to sit down with her "trusted" advisors and to formulate a list of schools that appealed to her, and dismiss or reject those that didn't. This process should not have taken more than a week. Seven weeks also afforded her plenty of time to schedule and make visits to schools that showed mutual interest. Do we know, or has it been reported how many schools he visited?

Because she has lived on a college campus (away from home - very important), participated in two months worth of official practices, and played in a few games, and had the chance to interact with new teammates, I'd like to think that she can at THIS time, make a far better assessment of what she wants, and what she thinks is a good fit for her NOW, than she could as a young, impressionable, starry-eyed 14-15 year old in high school. There's no substitute for experience. She has a little more now to go on in helping her to choose another program.

Of course she really won't know until 4 years from now if this was a good choice or not. People buy new/used cars everyday that they are happy with when they drive off the lot, only to have buyer's remorse weeks, months or years later. That car that they fell in love with at the dealer's lot, and just had to have, no longer suits them. It has lost its appeal and just doesn't work for them anymore, and they wish they would have bought something else. :(

We know many recruits have suffered "buyer's remorse", but stuck it out anyway, and tried to make the best of it (didn't transfer). In THIS case, I think the choice AEH made as a slightly better informed and experienced 18 year old will serve her well. As many other posters have expressed here, I wish her well, and will continue to follow her (out of curiosity) as she matriculates through her collegiate years at Mississippi State. :cool:
While it’s been 7 weeks since AEH played her last game, it’s been only 3 weeks since she officially announced she was transferring, and just about a week since she released a list of schools. AEH made one visit to MS St on Monday, and yesterday she decided that’s where she was going. That’s not a lot of time or research involved in making a really important decision.

Reaction Score
While it’s been 7 weeks since AEH played her last game, it’s been only 3 weeks since she officially announced she was transferring, and just about a week since she released a list of schools. AEH made one visit to MS St on Monday, and yesterday she decided that’s where she was going. That’s not a lot of time or research involved in making a really important decision.

She sure attended a good game to help her in the process though. :);)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
As regards transferring students who miss the start of the term, I might offer this generic information. At most campuses that offer 16-week semesters (and this is fairly typical), such schools also typically offer 8-week courses that meet for double the contact hours in the second half of the semester. In this way, a transfer who misses the start of the semester can still enroll, and by beginning their studies later in the semester, they can more easily catch up to their peers. While I do not have NCAA-specific information on this practice, it is a common feature of the transfer experience for many students.

I did academic advising for many years, and I found those “late eight” courses to be a godsend for my advisees.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree about Muffet. She used to be, but has been under-delivering for years now. After seeing the record-breaking crowd at the Hump on Monday, the toughness Vic's team showed to came back and win that game, the way he addressed the crowd post game, and the 23 minute post game presser with him and five of his players, I now believe that he is far and away the number two coach in the country. I actually thought so before this week, too, but all of that just reinforces my view.
What has he won really? Uconn was over confident after thumping them by 60 the year before! If they play this year MS loses by at least 25! After Geno, the next 2 coaches are Tara and Muffet. Reality will be coming to Starkville if they play the Huskies this year!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
“That was ridiculous,” Espinoza-Hunter said. “I don’t think I’ve ever been to a women’s basketball game with that many people before.”

South Carolina @ Miss State, February 5, 2018, attendance 10,794.

Notre Dame @ UConn, December 3, 2017, attendance 15,564

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Mississippians are some of the friendliest ppl in the world. We know y'all are the gold standard and are where we want to be. Hafta start somewhere. We'd love to meet y'all in the finals. Would we win? I wouldn't bet the rent money on it, but we can hope. That's what sports are all about. But I do think we have a coach and team to have it close in the fourth. That's all one can ask for when playing for a natty.

I’m a Gamecock fan but I’m sure the great UConn fans here on The Boneyard appreciate everything you said!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
“That was ridiculous,” Espinoza-Hunter said. “I don’t think I’ve ever been to a women’s basketball game with that many people before.”

South Carolina @ Miss State, February 5, 2018, attendance 10,794.

Notre Dame @ UConn, December 3, 2017, attendance 15,564
Well AEH is a basketball player, not a math major. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score

I just looked at Mississippi State University class schedule for the spring semester of 2018. The last day to enroll or add a class was Jan 17, 2018. Three weeks ago today. It looks like she's SOL, and will have to sit out the entire 2018-2019 season as stated in the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
that's an interesting thought....I don't remember a recruit from out of the area like Moriah ever talking about adjusting to life in the Northeast..did I miss that conversation?
Moriah just sucked it up and dealt with it and look how that turned out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom