Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Mississippi State | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Mississippi State

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She must enroll in Miss St's current semester and successfully complete the academic requirements in order to play in the Spring of 2019.
That ship (spring semester enrollment) has sailed. According to the Mississippi State Academeic calendar she would have to been enrolled by Jan 5th for Spring. Assuming she meets all the other enrollment criteria she will next be eligible to play Fall of 2019.
Academic Calendar

Reaction Score
FYI..........Miss State has the number 11 recruiting class in the country coming in including two top 50 ESPN ranked post players one 6'5" and the other 6'3" plus #54 a small forward and #88 a shooting guard...........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If it hasn't been since the late 90's that you have been through the Starkville area then it's a complete different place. The University alone has been through a complete transformation in just the past 5 years alone.

Welcome aboard and thanks for the travel advisory on Starkville. My business travels have not brought me to the Magnolia State since then, but I have no doubt it's grown, as so many university towns have.

BTW, hope you enjoy your stay on the Boneyard.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That ship (spring semester enrollment) has sailed. According to the Mississippi State Academeic calendar she would have to been enrolled by Jan 5th for Spring. Assuming she meets all the other enrollment criteria she will next be eligible to play Fall of 2019.
Academic Calendar

Unless, of course, a waiver petition is filed. Let us hope so.

Reaction Score
Who really cares 'WHEN Andrea Espinoza Hunter will be eligible to play at MSSU. As fans of WBB, we should only be all very happy for her, wish her the best of luck at MSSU and "MOVE ON" to focus on the UCONN Huskies winning the 2018 National Championship (as I know that unless UCONN plays MSSU in the 2020 NCAA D-1 Tournament, we will most likely be only able to watch her play on TV).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
is the Texas A&M job that much of a better opportunity? I really have no idea......

All depends on one's perspective. I do know this: before coaching the maroon and white of MSU, the Aggie maroon and white were firmly embedded in Coach Vic's life. This article from last year gives you a pretty good scope on that:
A&M has place in Vic Schaefer's heart, but Miss. St. coach's mind set on giant task of facing UConn dynasty

I didn't realize Blair was 71-72 years old. Vic S., himself, is mid-50's so if he was going to make a move, sooner rather than later seems right (if it comes up).

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
UConn board....

I’m aware.

But I wasn’t making inflammatory posts or anything. In fact, I was making comments about AEH and how I think she’ll do at MSU. That poster, along with another, looking for a punching bag, decided to take unnecessary shots at SC, completely unrelated to the thread topic. I assumed somebody would’ve stepped in an corralled their fellow husky before I had to..

Am I not allowed to defend myself here?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who really cares 'WHEN Andrea Espinoza Hunter will be eligible to play at MSSU. As fans of WBB, we should only be all very happy for her, wish her the best of luck at MSSU and "MOVE ON" to focus on the UCONN Huskies winning the 2018 National Championship (as I know that unless UCONN plays MSSU in the 2020 NCAA D-1 Tournament, we will most likely be only able to watch her play on TV).
:eek:I care because I'm a fan of AEH and want to make sure I don't miss any of her games. You think it's a coincidence that I added the SEC network to my cable yesterday.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m aware.

But I wasn’t making inflammatory posts or anything. In fact, I was making comments about AEH and how I think she’ll do at MSU. That poster, along with another, looking for a punching bag, decided to take unnecessary shots at SC, completely unrelated to the thread topic. I assumed somebody would’ve stepped in an corralled their fellow husky before I had to..

Am I not allowed to defend myself here?
I’d be happier if you usd the Report feature for any personal attacks. You can add a note to the mods when you Report a post, if you’d like. That way we can avoid flame wars.

English isn’t @Kaizen ‘s first language and sometimes, honestly, I had trouble figuring his intent in the post in this thread but he’s never engaged in hostilities in the past so he got the benefit of the doubt. Kaizen, if you were insulting our Gamecock friend, knock it off.

I usually do this conversation off the board but wanted to remind folks about Kaizen’s linguistic challenges and to please use the Report function instead of bickering.

Reaction Score
Come to think of it, I don't think that Geno has EVER scheduled games against teams who have players who transferred out of UCONN, playing on their programs. I doubt, that Geno would have (or would in the future) schedule games against Arizona State, George Mason, Penn State, Delaware, Southern California, and now Mississippi State University.
Interesting observation. I have no reason to doubt that he's never scheduled an OOC game against such teams, but I highly doubt it's by design. I see no reason to avoid scheduling a good team just because a UConn transfer landed there. I recall him being pretty upbeat about the win win nature of most transfer situations on a recent episode of the Geno Auriema show.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) That was awfully quick. I wonder how many schools she chose to visit.... wonder if she learned her lesson from last time (committing without seeing all the interested schools)

2) If she never experienced culture shock in her life before..... she surely will now :eek: :cool:

3)

View attachment 28388
Once I lost my New England bias, I found nice and decent, easy to get along with people all over the South. Culture shock? Ask the young ladies that go East or North about that one!

Reaction Score
:eek:I care because I'm a fan of AEH and want to make sure I don't miss any of her games. You think it's a coincidence that I added the SEC network to my cable yesterday.

CocoHusky - I, too am a fan of AEH (being a bigger fan, obviously of Saniya Chong) and also a fan of Aubrey Griffin. The Ossining High School GBB Program is one of the best in the Country, with one of the top High School Coaches in the United States, coaching their (look at how many former players have or are currently playing D-1 NCAA WBB). Bigger, I am a fan of UCONN Women's Basketball.

Yes, the sooner she can become eligible, the better (for her and for all of the AEH fans out there). But, having discussions go on and on, here on The Boneyard, concerning it, is becoming ridiculous (If she can get apply to get a waiver to become eligible earlier than the Fall 2019 Semester, then great. If not, and if it is the Fall 2019 Semester, then so be it. It will be what it will be.

Reaction Score
I’d be happier if you usd the Report feature for any personal attacks. You can add a note to the mods when you Report a post, if you’d like. That way we can avoid flame wars.

English isn’t @Kaizen ‘s first language and sometimes, honestly, I had trouble figuring his intent in the post in this thread but he’s never engaged in hostilities in the past so he got the benefit of the doubt. Kaizen, if you were insulting our Gamecock friend, knock it off.

I usually do this conversation off the board but wanted to remind folks about Kaizen’s linguistic challenges and to please use the Report function instead of bickering.
Nan thank you to post this.
I actually don't know where I insult him. English, yes is my third language.
When I said "Silence is golden and big mouth is trash ..." it is for anyone not specially for @SCGamecock unless he wants to take it. This slang is what my parent told me when I was young, to be a good man.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky - I, too am a fan of AEH (being a bigger fan, obviously of Saniya Chong) and also a fan of Aubrey Griffin. The Ossining High School GBB Program is one of the best in the Country, with one of the top High School Coaches in the United States, coaching their (look at how many former players have or are currently playing D-1 NCAA WBB). Bigger, I am a fan of UCONN Women's Basketball.
Yes, the sooner she can become eligible, the better (for her and for all of the AEH fans out there). But, having discussions go on and on, here on The Boneyard, concerning it, is becoming ridiculous (If she can get apply to get a waiver to become eligible earlier than the Fall 2019 Semester, then great. If not, and if it is the Fall 2019 Semester, then so be it. It will be what it will be.
The transfer issue is not about AEH. There have been many discussion about the transfer issue here and many people staked out thier position before AEH decided to transfer. What AEH choses to do with the waiver process will undoubtedly spark more discussion. There are also many posters here that apply a broader ( more that former Ossining players) standard of fairness and although many wish AEH well, if she happens to be the first UCONN player not to have to sit for a year, that sense of fairness would be violated. Be prepared for that also.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do wish AEH well, but it’s worth noting that this is the 2nd time she committed to a school without doing very much shopping. Of course everyone knows she committed to UConn as a sophomore without really considering anyone else.

In her decision to transfer, I got the decided impression that AEH wished she had taken more time initially while she was in HS to consider all her options, and make a decision that provided a better “fit” over the long term.

So a short time after leaving UConn, she makes one trip to watch a game in Starkville, MS, of all places, and a day later she decides she’s going to MS St, without really considering any other schools.

Not sure who’s advising AEH on transferring, but I would have hoped someone told her to take her time. I hope it works out for her this time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From a basketball only perspective, for her, this is the closest to a UConn wbb experience that is available. I say, smart choice. All the best to Andi. Was really looking forward to seeing her play at UConn, but, will watch a little more State now just to see her play. Hope she not only handles the regional differences, but learns and grows because of them.

Java, you're reading my mind!!! I agree 100%!!! There are a lot of other programs she could have chosen that would have made me scratch my head and wonder WTH? This is not one of them. She should do well there. I would be interested to know how many top 15 programs (if any) reached out to her upon learning that she left UConn. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Academic Calendar

Actually it says you can register until January 16th. Obviously that date has also passed, but sometimes schools make exceptions. This could be one of those times.

Reaction Score
Once I lost my New England bias, I found nice and decent, easy to get along with people all over the South. Culture shock? Ask the young ladies that go East or North about that one!

that's an interesting thought..............I don't remember a recruit from out of the area like Moriah ever talking about adjusting to life in the Northeast............did I miss that conversation?

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Great move....they play superb softball in the SEC! :D

Actually, I have one of the sports packages that Comcast offers up and it allows me to watch a bunch of sports in this, that or the other conference. Keep up on various teams and it comes in handy when ND takes one of it's patented trips in this or that sport.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
With the AEH transfer, I think this is a great chance to bring up what a great job I think Schaefer is doing at MSU. With winning comes expectations and he’s setting MSU up to be a program that sticks.

They lose Vivians, Schaefer, Johnson and William this year, Vivians will be a first rounder for sure... McCowan is draft eligible but has stated on record that she’s staying. Interestingly enough, when Gray first transferred to SC she stated that she would finish her eligibility out at SC as well.. but later decided to leave for the draft once SC won it all and people got in her ear. What happens if MSU makes a deep run and people get in McCowan's ear? In my opinion, I think McCowan needs another year of development.

So let's say she returns.. next year's playing roster will include:

Teaira McCowan
Jazzmun Holmes
Jonika Garvin
Jordan Danberry (formerly of Arkansas)
Jacaira Allen
Zion Campbell
Myah Taylor
Nyah Tate
Bre'amber Scott
Chloe Bibby

Their freshmen class is a good one but no instant impact players IMO:

Daphne White
Jessika Carter
Xaria Wiggins
Brittany Davis

..and 1 ineligible transfer:

Andra Espinoza-Hunter

Now I'm bringing this all up for a reason. Mississippi State loses A LOT after this season. They lost a fair amount last season as well.. but this season they brought back their cohesiveness on offense.. Vivians, McCowan and the steady William.. so Coach Schaefer really just had to shore up his defense after losing Dillingham and Richardson. Losing this year's senior class will be tough but in my opinion the cupboard is far from bare in Starkville. They'll have the best post player in the SEC next season in McCowan, Holmes has proven she can run the offense and she'll be a senior, Chloe Bibby shows lots of promise as a stretch big and she'll be back, likely starting at the 4.. Jordan Danberry is interesting. She was pretty good at Arkansas and will likely be better under a competent coach at MSU. She's a pg so I wonder where she'll play.. whether as a backup pg, starting pg or at the 2-guard. Jacaira Allen, a player that SC recruited and I'm familiar with, is a tough bigger guard that I think may get the start at the 3 spot.

State has two guards from the 2017 class that I can't wait to see play in Myah Taylor and Nyah Tate.. I think the two of them will give them a big boost at guard and supply meaningful minutes off the bench. Taylor was the higher ranked guard but I think Tate will acclimate better to MSU's style of play.. Tate was very highly recruited herself.

Again, the cupboard is not bare in Starkville. Now, the reason for all of this? Scheduling...

Schaefer had perhaps his best team yet in Starkville this year and still scheduled pretty light on the OOC side of things... Oregon, Syracuse, Oklahoma State and Virginia. Oregon being the only elite team in that group but the rest were decent wins. They did catch a little bit of heat about their schedule too. Now State has arrived IMO, especially if they get back to the Final Four (they will have played in 2, just like SC)... it'll be interesting to see if Schaeffer starts to schedule more elite OOC programs next season?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m already enjoying having more State fans around!
Mississippians are some of the friendliest ppl in the world. We know y'all are the gold standard and are where we want to be. Hafta start somewhere. We'd love to meet y'all in the finals. Would we win? I wouldn't bet the rent money on it, but we can hope. That's what sports are all about. But I do think we have a coach and team to have it close in the fourth. That's all one can ask for when playing for a natty.

Reaction Score
Great move....they play superb softball in the SEC! :D

I think NCAA softball exhibition season has already started.................of course the Northeast teams have to travel to play which I don't think they mind all that much..............one of my daughter's former team mates already has two home runs for UCLA as a freshman............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom