Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Mississippi State | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Mississippi State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I read the thread with frankly mixed emotion. Bravo to everyone who wishes her well, because, in the end, we want that for all our good young people. And we really aren't sure what went on at UConn, what motivated who to do what. all that is speculation that's not appropriate to put in writing and cast out for the world to see (and repeat as if it were fact). But I have to admit that I don't feel good about any of this, and in particular her quick decision. Can't and don't want to put words to thoughts, but just saying feelings are mixed.

Reaction Score
I read the thread with frankly mixed emotion. Bravo to everyone who wishes her well, because, in the end, we want that for all our good young people. And we really aren't sure what went on at UConn, what motivated who to do what. all that is speculation that's not appropriate to put in writing and cast out for the world to see (and repeat as if it were fact). But I have to admit that I don't feel good about any of this, and in particular her quick decision. Can't and don't want to put words to thoughts, but just saying feelings are mixed.
I understand your feeling.
But it is better she joins Tenn ...just honestly saying

Reaction Score

I think Vic takes great care of his kids..............they seem to be a close knit group so hopefully she will be a big part of that...........

Reaction Score
Well, now she’ll get to play against the Lady Vols! Wouldn’t have had that opportunity at UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It does sound like a quick decision with culture shock being a likely result. That said, congrats and best wishes to Andi and Vic.

Reaction Score
I hope she is very happy in Starkvegas. Trust me, it's not for everyone but it isn't a bad town at all. I look forward to seeing what she brings to the table.

Reaction Score

Uh, agree. Crickets here...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was thinking maybe ND but regardless.....why would she want to transfer to another program with a fiery head coach who doesn't put up with any nonsense when she just left one?
Maybe that wasn't the problem.

People are making a lot of assumptions in this thread. We'll see how long it remains open.

Reaction Score
I hope she is very happy in Starkvegas. Trust me, it's not for everyone but it isn't a bad town at all. I look forward to seeing what she brings to the table.

Few will be disappointed in her skills. She has them.

I ponder the contrast in cultures among Westchester County New York, Storrs, CT and Starkvegas. I drove through it once.

Life can be an adventure...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
As a Connecticut boy who went to college in Alabama, the culture shock is real. But also is learning to love The South.

Also Starkville is where Johnny Cash got arrested for picking flowers.

Reaction Score
As a Connecticut boy who went to college in Alabama, the culture shock is real. But also is learning to love The South.

Also Starkville is where Johnny Cash got arrested for picking flowers.

I have a feeling that was the nicest reason he ever got arrested.............

Reaction Score
Congrats to Andra, I think it's a great move on her part. They're a great team in real need of a talent refresh since four seniors will graduate this year. And Vic get's my vote as the second-best head coach in the country. But as we see with the Williams/Holmes situation, he's not going to play anyone who doesn't perform on any given day, so I'm not sure the dynamic there is going to be all that different for her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Congrats to Andra, I think it's a great move on her part. They're a great team in real need of a talent refresh since four seniors will graduate this year. And Vic get's my vote as the second-best head coach in the country. But as we see with the Williams/Holmes situation, he's not going to play anyone who doesn't perform on any given day, so I'm not sure the dynamic there is going to be all that different for her.
I’ve seen similar statements about Schafer here but IMO Muffet is the second best coach in the country. Having a 6-7 player and Victoria Vivians would make many coaches look great. MSU players had the game of their lives last year, and congrats to them for their excellent effort, but I think people are getting a little carried away with the Schafer praise.

Reaction Score
I wonder if you would ever see a UCONN vs. Mississippi State regular season match up for the 2019-2020 season, which would pit AEH against her former freshman teammates at UCONN? Do you think Geno and Schaefer would ever agree to a series of game?

Agreed, Geno and Vic really need to get an an ongoing out-0f-conference series on the calendar for their teams. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that happen after we beat them in this year's tournament. :p

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I was thinking maybe ND but regardless.....why would she want to transfer to another program with a fiery head coach who doesn't put up with any nonsense when she just left one?

Interesting choice of words. ND's Koko Nelson was just interviewed by Andy Katz and he asked her for a one-word description of Muffet and she said: "Fierce."

I never bit on A E-H for the Irish, primarily for personnel reasons (not, not personal). The Irish have two guards coming in this year (Gilbert, Prohaska), and a point guard in 2019, when A E-H will be eligible. And that PG -- Anaya Peoples -- said she'd play any position for ND. Based on very recent clips of her, I think Peoples can easily move to the off-guard position. And there are a slew of 2020 guards that ND has shown interest in (and visa versa). So, didn't see a fit there.

Two thoughts:

- Wish more than one place had been seen.

- Especially when that place is in a different neck of the woods, so to speak. I spent two years in Jackson, Mississippi, following graduation from Notre Dame. Jackson took some serious getting used to for a Long Islander,but I ultimately liked the experience. Starkville, however, was a trip into "deep country" back in the late 70s (it was the agricultural school at it's inception). The school and area had grown quite a bit during my last trip in the late 1990s, but this is -- as some said -- a far cry from the Hudson Valley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So does this mean that AEH's parents won't be able to go to games or watch on TV?

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

A lot of that going around, and a too common approach on sports fan boards.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen similar statements about Schafer here but IMO Muffet is the second best coach in the country. Having a 6-7 player and Victoria Vivians would make many coaches look great. MSU players had the game of their lives last year, and congrats to them for their excellent effort, but I think people are getting a little carried away with the Schafer praise.

There are certainly more successful coaches out there............I always thought that Schaefer (147-51 Wiki) and Gary Blair (331-141 Wiki) were in that second tier of solid coaches that have consistently fielded competitive teams through the years.......

Reaction Score

That 6'7 player was a project who is light years ahead of where she was 2 years ago.. that's coaching. And if you'd seen where their program was when he got there versus where it is now, that too is coaching... and Vivians is the only 5-star player he's signed. There are a few more waiting in the wings now though.

Reaction Score
Don't you mean "Bibby"? :D
You just might get the flying fickle finger of fate for that one.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
There are certainly more successful coaches out there..I always thought that Schaefer (147-51 Wiki) and Gary Blair (331-141 Wiki) were in that second tier of solid coaches that have consistently fielded competitive teams through the years..

Not surprising that you'd put those two in the same sentence, given that Schaefer was Blair's right-hand man at Texas A&M for nearly a decade, including that national championship win over ND Head bang. Still ouch.

Feel like I'm watching the same team from time to time, in everything from style of play to the same colors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits