AJ Reeves to Providence | Page 5 | The Boneyard

AJ Reeves to Providence

Reaction Score
That's not why Enoch, Jackson, and Durham transferred. It's not why Reeves and MAL aren't coming here and decided to go to the inferior program down the road, you actually have to recruit kids. Ollie is paid over 3 million dollars per year, if he can't perform the duties that are expected with running the program then we will find someone else who is.

I'm talking about new kids. We've been talking for many months now about how this is Ollie's last year before he's fired. What new kid wants to go play for a coach on the chopping block?

Reaction Score
A lateral move? You're kidding right. One is State flagship program, one is a tiny regional private college. One has a Huge athletic department and budget, the other doesn't. One has almost zero history vs one has National and international recognition as one of the elite level programs in country over the last 25 years. Also not a lateral move when you're going from the facilities at Providence (including a glorified high school gymnasium) to the facilities at Connecticut. Im the first to admit we've had a brutal three years, but to say that a move Providence College to UConn would be a lateral move at best is nuts.

PC just broke ground on this. I keep hearing that UConn hasn't held an elite camp in a few years because they are embarrassed by the current state of their facilities. Our glorified HS gym has hosted an elite camp in each of Cooley's years at the school and has directly netted Diallo, MAL and Reeves. Duke is hopefully next.

Once the Ruane Center is completed, PC's basketball facilities will be better (and newer) than UConn's.

Reaction Score
Well, tells you the dude is probably a troll...
Ok I admit calling it a lateral move may have been an over reaction but a troll I am not. Just breaks my heart how we have fallen. Like someone said the program was presented to KO and he is pissing it away.

Reaction Score
PC just broke ground on this. I keep hearing that UConn hasn't held an elite camp in a few years because they are embarrassed by the current state of their facilities. Our glorified HS gym has hosted an elite camp in each of Cooley's years at the school and has directly netted Diallo, MAL and Reeves. Duke is hopefully next.

Once the Ruane Center is completed, PC's basketball facilities will be better (and newer) than UConn's.

I just checked out the plans. Not even close to UConn's. Not enough space comparatively.

AND, you're spending $30 million on a center in which half of the space is reserved for students and other activities.

UConn spent $40+m on a center totally devoted to the D1 basketball teams.

UConn's is a palace. You guys managed to build 2 courts.

Reaction Score
I just checked out the plans. Not even close to UConn's. Not enough space comparatively.

AND, you're spending $30 million on a center in which half of the space is reserved for students and other activities.

UConn spent $40+m on a center totally devoted to the D1 basketball teams.

UConn's is a palace. You guys managed to build 2 courts.

That's because the women stay in their glorified high school gym. The new facility is exclusively for the men's team.

Reaction Score

Your new facility won't be better than Uconn's and ours was completed just a couple of years ago. It has plenty of room for all of UConn's hardware and it is right next to UConn's 10,000 + on campus arena.

Reaction Score
You really don't know about UConn's facility do you? The men and women do not share the gym at UConn.

I didn't say they shared. I just stated that PC didn't need to build for both for justification of the lower expense. Why did you stop having elite camps at UConn?

Reaction Score
I didn't say they shared. I just stated that PC didn't need to build for both for justification of the lower expense. Why did you stop having elite camps at UConn?

The bball courts are a small part of the PC place. 1/3rd of it at best. There's the student rec center. And, a whole other wing which is not meant for men's basketball.

Reaction Score
The bball courts are a small part of the PC place. 1/3rd of it at best. There's the student rec center. And, a whole other wing which is not meant for men's basketball.

That's fine. Cooley got exactly what he asked for.

Reaction Score
That's not why Enoch, Jackson, and Durham transferred. It's not why Reeves and MAL aren't coming here and decided to go to the inferior program down the road, you actually have to recruit kids. Ollie is paid over 3 million dollars per year, if he can't perform the duties that are expected with running the program then we will find someone else who is.
I'm certainly am not close to the program .
But from my observation post deep in the Sonoran Desert.
These are my observations.
Up until this year there was a conserted effort to hurt UConn recruiting i.e. The program.
mostly by floating all kind of rumors that Ollie was leaving shortly .
as he was much too good of a coach to waste his time on a has been program like UConn.
After a year were we had our deepest recruiting class in years following the recruitment of a top rated guard all seemed well. Then the disaster of 16-17 happened.

Now the narrative is Ollie is not long for the program because ,pick a reason,.
To a spinmeister like myself it's obvious that they are the same objective just two different spins.
Rationale
1. Ollie is the only reason UConn has any credibility at all
Get rid of Ollie get rid of UConn.
Connecticut certainly is no longer the basketball state it was 30 or 40 years ago.
I couldn't fathom a UConn team battered and fighting for their NCAA lives being abandoned by fans the way the state abandoned last years team.
Have you asked yourself if the kids that left might not have stayed if there were 16,000 for Cinncy.
We only got in the Big East because CT was a great BB state and JC only came because he was aware of that fact.
That shipped has sailed and KO is really our only hope,
Ollie has proven he could win ,even last years battered team (with a healthy Adams ) achieved a pretty decent chemistry.
I certainly would be suspicious of the motives or the naïveté of any KO hater.
Especially the rational ones.

Reaction Score

Well maybe when PC starts to fill that thing with NCAA Championship banners you can talk. Uconn isn't about one guy. You guys won a recruiting battle, we win championships

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

They'll be newer, but not better.

And instead of something like the Champions Center, you'll have to name it something that doesn't involve champions. Because...Providence.

Speaking of which - you need to borrow some banners to decorate it?

Given that you kids have won, what, one NCAA game in three decades, that place is gonna look pretty naked. Maybe the hockey team has a few you can use to cover some wall space?

Reaction Score
Well, I guess after they have a set of these:
12-5bannersbybradfordwatson-e1417754499881.jpg
The only problem with this is that past performance is not a reflection of current/future performance. Can't live in the past. Live for today, but look toward the future. The past is over.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Did he ever visit Baylor?

He was quoted somewhere saying that he can play all five positions and he believes he will be in the 2019 draft, so I would just like to wish his next coach all the luck in the world.

But if it's New Mexico....he did something wrong.

Reaction Score
Did he ever visit Baylor?

He was quoted somewhere saying that he can play all five positions and he believes he will be in the 2019 draft, so I would just like to wish his next coach all the luck in the world.

But if it's New Mexico....he did something wrong.
Baylor trip was cancelled because of the Mario Kegler commit. He took a trip to TCU instead.

Reaction Score
A lateral move? You're kidding right. One is State flagship program, one is a tiny regional private college. One has a Huge athletic department and budget, the other doesn't. One has almost zero history vs one has National and international recognition as one of the elite level programs in country over the last 25 years. Also not a lateral move when you're going from the facilities at Providence (including a glorified high school gymnasium) to the facilities at Connecticut. Im the first to admit we've had a brutal three years, but to say that a move Providence College to UConn would be a lateral move at best is nuts.

You have to be old enough, because history isn't just the last 25 years. I've followed bb in New England since the late 50's. Providence is definitely part of that history. Both with coaches and players. It's just not true to say they have almost no history, they had success far earlier then we did. I know in the 70's they were one of the top independents in the country. Some legendary players from Lenny Wilkins to Marvin Barnes. But, ya gotta be old enough to have that in the memory banks. A different era, but I remember the history from that earlier era. It's not ancient history yet, lol. It is part of the bb tradition here in the Northeast. (There was an earlier era when Holy Cross won it all! All part of the history here). It was their athletic director, and Providence coach, Dave Gavitt, who gave us the Big East in the first place. That's part of the history of college bb. Providence coaches Mullaney and Gavitt were innovators in the college game. That is a part of bb history in the Northeast.

History has blessed us, with 4 national championships, but Providence is building a modern facility, as mentioned, I think to be ready in 2018, Providence itself is a lively city, a lot of the pros from Boston spend their night life in Providence, I've got family there, have been to Waterfire, it's a hellava party those nights, and Cooley is just good at what he does where recruiting is concerned. He is definetly getting his share, and they will soon have the facilities they have not had. That's got to have helped with recent recruiting. I doubt he would come to UConn, because I believe he believes he can eventually succeed in Providence. Yes, UConn has the 4 titles and a far more impressive history and resume with those titles in this era, but everything points to Cooley wanting to actually do something where he is, and I doubt he thinks he's done that yet. I've said it before. Sooner or later he's going to have a good run where he is. And he's plugged Providence to their fans too much to make a move to Storrs. They would see it as a betrayal if he went to certain schools, and UConn would be one of those schools. I don't think money or our recent status in college bb would be enough.

The NBE is an interesting experiment in a football dominated college sports economy. If it expanded to 12, Dayton and Connecticut would be nice.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cooley has won one NCAA tournament game in his entire career. He can stay where he is, thank you.

But someday, when/if he somehow manages to win two in a row, some school will overpay and he'll move on from Providence.

Everyone else has.

Reaction Score
Word is MAL played 20 or 22 times in ct and Ollie went 2x. Same with Prince Ali. (Yes he is out of state) hooking a top 100 recruit us only half the work. These kids want love and visits. There is a ton of leg work after they announce your school

If they is the case it is absolute incompetence from a D-1 staff. Holy hell - more that gets revealed on here the more I get the sense that we have someone that is over their skis when it comes to understanding what it takes to be a coach (ie CEO) of major athletic program (ie division of a major company).

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It's appalling.

This is the second year in a row.

If you're in the class of 2018, 2019 or 2020, you've likely been to camps at PC, Nova, St. John's and Syracuse. But you haven't been to one at UConn because they made the "hard decision" in 2016 and 2017 that campers would be too disappointed if they were unable to play on the floor at Gampel. (Never mind that the work planned in 2016 never actually happened.)

Didn't UConn just foot the bill for outstanding practice facilities and why isn't HCKO using them for camps? This is a sin and shouldn't be happening at UConn. Very disappointed in Ollie right now and wondering if his heart is in it any longer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom