AJ Reeves to Providence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AJ Reeves to Providence

Reaction Score
Let me rephrase that; it seems tedious to be in an uproar over a recruitment the staff hasn't been in for a while. I think most fans would agree things aren't going great rn(we missed the tourney last year)...

If he went to Louisville, UVa or Nova, you'd have a point. But he went to lowly PC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Well to be fair. Carlton, Polley, and Cobb are a result of Killings. So thankfully for him we actually have players coming in next year. So he hasn't done "nothing" but I do agree that it needs to be better

I think Killings did a solid job last year.

Without those three players, we might have had to hold open tryouts to field a program this year.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Yikes. Not one of those guys 5 years ago would come close to the minutes they will get this year

Agree but they can develop into good players. Like I said though, needs to be better

Reaction Score
MAL said that Ollie only watched him a handful of times after he committed to us. That's a huge indictment on KO
It's been really bad, this kid was/should have been a lock well over a year ago. I knew we lost him a long time ago so I'm not upset anymore but it's unacceptable the way Ollie is running this program. He doesn't kill it in recruiting for 2018 and we cut the cord.

Reaction Score
Well to be fair. Carlton, Polley, and Cobb are a result of Killings. So thankfully for him we actually have players coming in next year. So he hasn't done "nothing" but I do agree that it needs to be better
Carlton, Polley and Cobb. Which one will lead us to the top? Who did we out recruit to get them?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Carlton, Polley and Cobb. Which one will lead us to the top? Who did we out recruit to get them?

Cobb - No idea

Polley - TCU, Pitt, and G-Tech

Carlton - ASU, Georgetown, and Xavier

Not saying they are the cream of the crop. But just saying they could potentially be solid players. They are not stars though if that's what you're trying to say.

Reaction Score
Yikes. That's not even one toe in

This is the biggest concern for me. If you are caught being a phony it's all over.

I always cringe a little when I hear Ollie quoting these corny sayings from what's seems like self help books. I get that it's not for my benefit and if it resonates with recruits then great. But you can't talk about not being out worked and then sit on your with the future of UConn athletics hanging in the balance. If you want to talk like you are a self help guru than you better act in accordance to what is coming out of your mouth.

I have no inside knowledge of what is going on with the Ollie lead program but when you have this many defections and recruits turning their backs on you then there is a problem.
Maybe some of it can be explained from losing. Maybe some for the divorce. For those that don't believe most is on Ollie then you are whistling past the graveyard brother.

He has a lot to prove this year. In the end, if he is proven to be a phony, then we all lose.
I will be pulling like hell for him to succeed.

C

Chief00

You are a moron.

UConn led for Reeves for most of last year before the head coach went on sabbatical and the kid cut them in May.

It'd also be nice if UConn held an elite camp, but they keep cancelling it and blaming the Gampel work.

No excuse to not have the Elite Camp. We have a basketball facility, Guyer gym, etc. There just doesn't seem to be a basketball CEO strategizing and putting things into operation.

Reaction Score
There's no denying that at this moment, Providence is the preeminent basketball program in New England.
Huh? We won a title in 2014. In the three years since, we've won as many games in the NCAAs as them.

This sucks. But a statement like this is overreaction. We're going to turn this ship around, one way or another.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No excuse to not have the Elite Camp. We have a basketball facility, Guyer gym, etc. There just doesn't seem to be a basketball CEO strategizing and putting things into operation.

It's appalling.

This is the second year in a row.

If you're in the class of 2018, 2019 or 2020, you've likely been to camps at PC, Nova, St. John's and Syracuse. But you haven't been to one at UConn because they made the "hard decision" in 2016 and 2017 that campers would be too disappointed if they were unable to play on the floor at Gampel. (Never mind that the work planned in 2016 never actually happened.)

Reaction Score
I've never seen so many ppl get upset at the same thing over and over again. There is literally an aj Reeves thread from like 2-3 months ago(when we found out we were out) saying the same things. Idek why there is a thread on a player whom we weren't in contention for.

Reaction Score
Just chill out man
Huh? We won a title in 2014. In the three years since, we've won as many games in the NCAAs as them.

This sucks. But a statement like this is overreaction. We're going to turn this ship around, one way or another.

The reason people have those opinions and that they actually hold weight is due to the conference affiliations. We are now surrounded by programs in the region that are solidly in better conferences than us. If you think about it, that's ultimately where the fear comes from.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually, plenty of people are denying that things aren't going well.
Depends. Does not whining about it constantly constitute "denying that things aren't going well?" If so, then yeah, I guess some posters don't complain incessantly. Frankly, I question their commitment to the program.

Reaction Score
Cobb - No idea

Polley - TCU, Pitt, and G-Tech

Carlton - ASU, Georgetown, and Xavier

Not saying they are the cream of the crop. But just saying they could potentially be solid players. They are not stars though if that's what you're trying to say.
Potentially be solid players. Like Kentan Facey who would not have sniffed the court during our glory years?

Reaction Score
The reason people have those opinions and that they actually hold weight is due to the conference affiliations. We are now surrounded by programs in the region that are solidly in better conferences than us. If you think about it, that's ultimately where the fear comes from.
Who said we shouldn't be afraid?

We need to do better. We will do better, whatever that takes. Too many good programs outside of the P5 + BE to not think we can survive and be very good.

Reaction Score
Who said we shouldn't be afraid?

We need to do better. We will do better, whatever that takes. Too many good programs outside of the P5 + BE to not think we can survive and be very good.
Too many good programs outside the P5 and BE? Name 5 that you want to be compared to?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The conference is a huge issue - one that they largely managed to overcome through the class of 2016. There are always going to be kids who simply will not commit to the American.

But the last year, where they alienated their best recruit and three potential future starters while allowing their reputation with future recruiting classes to fall off a table, was entirely preventable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom