AJ Reeves to Providence | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AJ Reeves to Providence

pj

Reaction Score
If our head coach is ten toes in, we'll be fine. I want him to keep the inspirational speak, and practice what he preaches.

Hopefully his competitive juices are flowing, because he's got to prove himself as much as the young Jim Calhoun at Dedham High.

Reaction Score
If our head coach is ten toes in, we'll be fine. I want him to keep the inspirational speak, and practice what he preaches.

Hopefully his competitive juices are flowing, because he's got to prove himself as much as the young Jim Calhoun at Dedham High.
Agreed Ollism's are wonderful when your winning, when your losing they grow tiresome. Which brings us back to what we all already know winning is the only solution. PERIOD

Reaction Score
Agreed Ollism's are wonderful when your winning, when your losing they grow tiresome. Which brings us back to what we all already know winning is the only solution. PERIOD
I always found them annoying; but now they sound rank.

I trust in him still. You don't win a title, and some of the recruiting battles he's won, without talent. He needs to focus now, though, or he's in real trouble. We can't afford to suck again.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Cooley is as relentless once he's the UConn head coach as of next spring.
Why would Cooley take our job? It would be a lateral move at best. And I bleed blue. Those 4 national championship banners are great but they don't really matter to today's recruits I would think. Do you think UCLA's mean much?

Reaction Score
I always found them annoying; but now they sound rank.

I trust in him still. You don't win a title, and some of the recruiting battles he's won, without talent. He needs to focus now, though, or he's in real trouble. We can't afford to suck again.
I am sick of this divorce crap getting in the way of his job. The guy makes 3 million. Suck it up. And I went through a divorce.

Reaction Score
Yikes. Not one of those guys 5 years ago would come close to the minutes they will get this year

Maybe not Polley and Cobb, but Carlton...

um, Okawandu? Olander? Nolan? Brimah?

Did these 3 not come through UConn and play significant minutes?

Reaction Score
It's been really bad, this kid was/should have been a lock well over a year ago. I knew we lost him a long time ago so I'm not upset anymore but it's unacceptable the way Ollie is running this program. He doesn't kill it in recruiting for 2018 and we cut the cord.

Keep talking about cutting the cord. Maybe everyone should. Kids can see the writing on the wall. why should a kid commit to a school about to axe its head coach.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Reaction Score
Yes.

But in fairness, James's original point was demonstrably moronic and any attempt to agree with it is stupid. Even he has tried to walk it back.

Ok I thought he knew something so I will walk it back with him a little..... but still!

Reaction Score
I'm really curious how this next year goes. Can't see kids committing here with all the uncertainty around KO and can't see KO getting any job security without the recruits coming. I love KO and hope for the best, but gonna be a tough obstscle for him to overcome

Reaction Score
Potentially be solid players. Like Kentan Facey who would not have sniffed the court during our glory years?

2011 and 2014 were glory years too.

The talent level in college ball isnt what it used to be.

I'm not saying these 3 are enough for our front court. They are nt. But it's equally clear that Nolan, Olander and Okwandu were not world beaters either. Nor Brimah.

Reaction Score
Well, first, I should probably throw the BE in the same category as the AAC as it stands. Better history--sans UConn, and maybe Cincy--but they have similar difficulties as it stands. Yet they don't have a whole state behind them, and the funds that go with that.

No one is UConn, but folks here have been upset for a long time about not being consistently in the Top 25. Gonzaga seems like the easy answer. Solid recruiting, great regular seasons, some recent good post-seasons. We have better name recognition, we have a better conference, and if we get our act together we'll be in better shape than them. And, if they showed up, they'd have won the title. A title we won from a non-P5 conference.

Wichita State is another one that--now in our conference--we beat by every measure and they've had great regular seasons and some strong post-season success.

If we--UConn--do what we're supposed to, our conference will be fine and on par with the NBE/weaker P5s almost every year. When we suck, though, we drag the conference down with us.

(This isn't getting into fan excitement. All these years in I still DGAF about SMU or any of those other schools...but that will come with time--or with rescue.)
Oh my goodness how we have fallen. We used to be compared to North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky etc. Now it's Wichita St. It's all about the conference. Heads should roll at Storrs because of this and not one freakin reporter wants to tackle this. Are they afraid of Herbst? she needs to be held accountable for losing millions per year.

Reaction Score
Oh my goodness how we have fallen. We used to be compared to North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky etc. Now it's Wichita St. It's all about the conference. Heads should roll at Storrs because of this and not one freakin reporter wants to tackle this. Are they afraid of Herbst? she needs to be held accountable for losing millions per year.
Wichita State is likely to be a top 10 team this year. Clearly they aren't NC, Duke, Kentucky or Kansas but how many programs are? None.

Reaction Score
Why would Cooley take our job? It would be a lateral move at best. And I bleed blue. Those 4 national championship banners are great but they don't really matter to today's recruits I would think. Do you think UCLA's mean much?
A lateral move? You're kidding right. One is State flagship program, one is a tiny regional private college. One has a Huge athletic department and budget, the other doesn't. One has almost zero history vs one has National and international recognition as one of the elite level programs in country over the last 25 years. Also not a lateral move when you're going from the facilities at Providence (including a glorified high school gymnasium) to the facilities at Connecticut. Im the first to admit we've had a brutal three years, but to say that a move Providence College to Uconn would be a lateral move at best is nuts.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We're going to turn this ship around, one way or another.

Based on what? I'm afraid Ollie has gone FIGMO. I keep looking for evidence to the contrary but there isn't any.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There's no denying that at this moment, Providence is the preeminent basketball program in New England.
JSMH
Yeah, there's denying it

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn will be UConn.
I'd like him to do it, but he's not UConn.
Yeah, but "UConn" is Calhoun. And Ollie is the appointed one. And he pissed it away.

Reaction Score
Jesus. We were never UNC, Duke, KU, UK. We were the scrappy team in the tier right below them who competed with them and could beat them.

Even in JC's heydey we missed the tournament in 1993, 1997, 2001, 2007, 2010.

So, yeah, give me titles. I want them. But I also want to be in position to compete for them. And as I noted, we're in a different--better--position than both WSU and Gonzaga. Since 2010 they've been two of the best and most consistent programs, and have as many titles as KU, SU, MSU, Zona, etc. (and soon as many Louisville). We're better than them. We have more resources and better history. If they can do it, so can we.

Until we're rescued.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but "UConn" is Calhoun. And Ollie is the appointed one. And he pissed it away.
Well, of course, that's the danger. I think KO winning a title means UConn will ultimately be bigger than both, but JC is an all time great. Hard to rebound from that.

Also, KO just won a title. We'll see very soon if he's pissed it all away, but the world isn't so fast that a year or two eliminates 25 years.

Reaction Score
Keep talking about cutting the cord. Maybe everyone should. Kids can see the writing on the wall. why should a kid commit to a school about to axe its head coach.

That makes absolutely no sense.
That's not why Enoch, Jackson, and Durham transferred. It's not why Reeves and MAL aren't coming here and decided to go to the inferior program down the road, you actually have to recruit kids. Ollie is paid over 3 million dollars per year, if he can't perform the duties that are expected with running the program then we will find someone else who is.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When stupid meets stupid...

Kid was a UConn lean for a year. Unfortunately that was the year UConn's coach took off to pursue other hobbies so the kid cut them from his list.
Yeah and you are pure genius 100% of the time
Guess you've hopped on the name calling wagon but thinking about it you never got off

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom