2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how great an idea it is for Beale and Amihere (or any of the others) to come back next year -- for the team. Yes, the starting rotation would be more experienced. But there are some fierce competitors currently on the bench who need to get some PT. I'm really curious about a Cardoso-Watkins-Feagin front court.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how great an idea it is for Beale and Amihere (or any of the others) to come back next year -- for the team. Yes, the starting rotation would be more experienced. But there are some fierce competitors currently on the bench who need to get some PT. I'm really curious about a Cardoso-Watkins-Feagin front court.
I think South Carolina would benefit from Beale staying. I think what they will miss most from the departing seniors is the level of basketball IQ that Beal, Cooke, Fletcher, Saxton and Boston have. I think Johnson and Hall have pretty high basketball IQs but other than that I think there is a lot of talent and athleticism and talent without a ton of basketball IQ- especially in the front court. Someone like Beale staying would be tremendously helpful in that regard for them to balance the team out a bit.

Reaction Score
Kitts is not incapable of stepping in from the wing

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Which is exactly why I don’t want a forward to return. There are a lot of players waiting to play that we’re going to need over the next 2-3 years. LA comes back and we risk them transferring out. Beal is a big guard. We currently will have only Hall in that spot next year. Had things worked out it would’ve been Rivers and Hall rotating in that spot. I’m interested to see if Kitts gets reps at the 3 based on her skillset.

I’m personally of the opinion that we need to develop what we have and not rely on the transfer portal.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Cooper does have size. I guess Cooper, who’s more of a pg for us, could play more of a big guard/slasher role going forward. We’ll see.

Reaction Score
I’m
Which is exactly why I don’t want a forward to return. There are a lot of players waiting to play that we’re going to need over the next 2-3 years. LA comes back and we risk them transferring out. Beal is a big guard. We currently will have only Hall in that spot next year. Had things worked out it would’ve been Rivers and Hall rotating in that spot. I’m interested to see if Kitts gets reps at the 3 based on her skillset.

I’m personally of the opinion that we need to develop what we have and not rely on the transfer portal.
i agree with your last sentence but we need to keep our eyes open because one transfer might be worthy. For ( a farfetched) example, if a high scoring, superior, senior guard wanted to transfer in for one shot at a ring, we should keep our eyes open. She would need to be willing to fit into the system; not require the system to revolve around her. But that is highly improbable

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

In case you missed this.............

Aliyah Boston Joins Haley Jones | Sometimes I Hoop | The Players’ Tribune​

Episode 1 … We ready? Conference play is poppin’ off, upsets are the norm, and this women’s college hoops season is just going CRAAAAAAZY, am I right? For the first episode of Sometimes I Hoop we had to call up Miss DOUBLE-DOUBLE, reigning NCAA champ, 6'5" All-American for South Carolina … Aliyah BOSTON. On this episode, Haley and Aliyah get into the 2023 season, their longtime friendship, NIL bags, playing for legendary coaches, and the rivalry between South Carolina and Stanford.

Reaction Score
2022 SEC Tourney - SC averaged scoring 65ppg & allowed 56ppg on D

2023 SEC Tourney - SC averaged 82ppg on O & 58ppg on D

Only two more points allowed per game average on D but 17 more scored ppg average for O.

Remember the narrative about SC’s offensive funk heading into the tournament last year? It’s nice to not have to listen to it this year

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd be curious what match-ups South Carolina fans would want to avoid going into the tournament. I'm sure y'all are confident against every team in the field, as you well should be, but wondering if there are any teams or types of teams you want to avoid as a fan for the easiest games to watch possible.

As a non-South Carolina fan I don't know that you guys have played many guard heavy, 3 point shooting reliant teams. I think a team like Utah or Iowa or Indiana or even a Gonzaga could be interesting if they go unconscious from behind the arc and start exchanging two for threes. I don't know that its a style of play thats popular enough in the SEC that South Carolina is as naturally prepared for it as they are for physical teams.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
2022 SEC Tourney - SC averaged scoring 65ppg & allowed 56ppg on D

2023 SEC Tourney - SC averaged 82ppg on O & 58ppg on D

Only two more points allowed per game average on D but 17 more scored ppg average for O.

Remember the narrative about SC’s offensive funk heading into the tournament last year? It’s nice to not have to listen to it this year
Definitely a much improved offensive team this year. To be fair, I think the concern was justified last season as SC was not a strong offensive team last year (70.9 ppg on the year) but it ultimately didn't matter since their defense/rebounding was so good. In the tournament they were quite dominant yet only scored 68.8ppg.

This year their defensive numbers are similar but their offense is markedly better, averaging 10 ppg more per game, 3+ assists per game, fewer TOs, and shooting 4.5% higher from the field. Probably Dawn's 2nd best offensive team after the 2019-20 crew that was brilliant with Harris as the PG.

Reaction Score
I think what we have found over the past 2 weeks is that we have several guards that can hit from 3 and that has loosened up the middle considerably. After the OT at Ole Miss there were some notable changes to our offense. It is much more free flowing than it has been in a while.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't think there' a problem with it during the pre-tourney week, but a South Carolina/UConn thread would probably be a hot topic - but possibly tough to moderate. @HuskyNan

Don't know if it would be allowed on the main husky board and might be a troll magnet on the general board.
Just flag anything inappropriate and I’ll take a look. I agree UConn fans should remember this is a South Carolina thread.

Reaction Score
I'd be curious what match-ups South Carolina fans would want to avoid going into the tournament. I'm sure y'all are confident against every team in the field, as you well should be, but wondering if there are any teams or types of teams you want to avoid as a fan for the easiest games to watch possible.

As a non-South Carolina fan I don't know that you guys have played many guard heavy, 3 point shooting reliant teams. I think a team like Utah or Iowa or Indiana or even a Gonzaga could be interesting if they go unconscious from behind the arc and start exchanging two for threes. I don't know that its a style of play thats popular enough in the SEC that South Carolina is as naturally prepared for it as they are for physical teams.
SC leads all P5 schools in 3PT defensive FG%. They are naturally prepared.

Reaction Score

Under the “careful what you wish for” category:

I think most of us want to face an Iowa or an Oklahoma to see what the number one 3pt defense is against a top flight 3 pt shooting team.

Most boring game imaginable: SCar vs Duke

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I think most of us want to face an Iowa or an Oklahoma to see what the number one 3pt defense is against a top flight 3 pt shooting team.

300px-And_I_Took_That_Personally.jpg

1. Lucky for you that they removed the dislike button. :mad:

2. Now I'm back on board for a showdown in Greenville. I want that matchup more than I want peace on earth. :mad:

Reaction Score
I think it's teams that require you to guard all 5 positions on the perimeter that scare me the most as a fan. There is such a comfort knowing that you have a safety net of Boston and Cardoso if a guard gets blown by. Which teams have posts that are 3-point threats and have great guard play? The main two that come to mind are UConn and Stanford. I cannot think of any others but there are probably a few out there.

I think that's why teams like Iowa don't scare me as much. As much as I love Czinano, she isn't a 3-point threat so we can basically camp a big under the basket and shut her down while functioning as a backup to protect the paint against slashing guards. I would have a healthy rotation of players (Amihere, Cooke, Johnson, Hall, Fletcher) in like 5 min shifts that would be put on Clark and be attached to her hip wherever she is on the floor trying to full on deny her the ball, effectively trying to turn it into a 4 v 4 with the remaining players.

Reaction Score
Basivally, it's just a matter of talent.

Stanford concerns me the most.

They can rebound with SC and the teams have really thrown haymakers back and forth at the last three years.

Their best shot is more than enough.

Beyond that, UConn, I suppose.

Respect everyone, fear none. Beyond that it's a pretty big upset.

Reaction Score

That's a great question and one I've thought about. I believe Creighton? from last year and maybe UNC were both spread you out, throw it up teams that we played and defeated. Arkansas is one of those teams and I believe SDSU is one also. We play great man defense that is designed to funnel everyone inside and off the 3 pt line. We are going to pressure the ball handler from endline to endline. We have so many players that actually can contribute to our team that we tend to figure out the matchup problems and adjust our lineup to take care of that. A team that goes unconscious from behind the arc is one that could give us trouble, as they would anybody. What I have seen though is that our defense just wears teams down so by the 4th quarter those shots aren't falling. This year we have added a pretty potent offense. We don't shoot a lot of threes but we have been making enough that teams have to respect our shooters and that just opens up the inside for our post players.

We have tweeked some things in our offense over the past couple of weeks and it has opened up some shooters. I really liked how the offense flowed during the tournament and we actually played against Ole Miss and Tennessee who both have pretty good defenses.

Reaction Score
Interesting! I think Stanford has regressed as the season has gone one so I don't really see you guys struggling with them as much in a rematch. They've struggled with outside shooting all season and typically have only 2-3 perimeter threats on the court at once so I don't see you having trouble on that side of the ball. Where things get interesting in this potential match up is defensively where they are always strong but have gotten better in the front court on defense as the season's gone on. I think they might be the only team equipped to guard you guys one on one with no doubleing. It would be interesting to see a Boston/Cardosa vs Brink/Betts match up now that Betts as come a long way since November.

Other than that I think Indiana and would be an interesting match up because they can really light it up from three, contested or not, and have some good midrange players too. Not sure they'd be able to defend your size though which is where the game could get boring.

And then Uconn was the leading 3pt shooting team in the country Nov-January but their shooting has fallen off a cliff since the end of January. With Azzi and Carolina still shaking off the rust not sure they'll be able to return to form quickly enough to challenge SC but they are have the potential to be worst offensive match-up for the Gamecocks in the country if they do.

The wild card match up for me I think would be interesting to watch is Oklahoma. They take a lot of threes and make a lot of threes and teams like that can be dangerous to even the best of teams in March because of the magic that seams to be in the air.

Reaction Score
I think it's teams that require you to guard all 5 positions on the perimeter that scare me the most as a fan. There is such a comfort knowing that you have a safety net of Boston and Cardoso if a guard gets blown by. Which teams have posts that are 3-point threats and have great guard play? The main two that come to mind are UConn and Stanford. I cannot think of any others but there are probably a few out there.

I think that's why teams like Iowa don't scare me as much. As much as I love Czinano, she isn't a 3-point threat so we can basically camp a big under the basket and shut her down while functioning as a backup to protect the paint against slashing guards. I would have a healthy rotation of players (Amihere, Cooke, Johnson, Hall, Fletcher) in like 5 min shifts that would be put on Clark and be attached to her hip wherever she is on the floor trying to full on deny her the ball, effectively trying to turn it into a 4 v 4 with the remaining players.
True but her ability to seal and establish herself in the post can be frustrating for those defending her. If she's crafty enough, camping a big underneath isn't going to be sufficient and/or some cheap/ticky-tacky calls could go her way. And when they add Stuelke in with her as part of the rotation it makes defending the paint trickier because she's more agile and plays bigger than her size. They can also play a decent high-low post to post game.

Reaction Score
True but her ability to seal and establish herself in the post can be frustrating for those defending her. If she's crafty enough, camping a big underneath isn't going to be sufficient and/or some cheap/ticky-tacky calls could go her way. And when they add Stuelke in with her as part of the rotation it makes defending the paint trickier because she's more agile and plays bigger than her size. They can also play a decent high-low post to post game.
You guys won't have any trouble shutting down Czinano, she struggles against legit front courts and defenses. Defense is not the strong suit of the Big 10.
Iowa presents a problem for South Carolina only in how different their style of play is from any team South Carolina has faced this year. I'm confident y'all could adjust though - Clark could be a problem if she goes God mode hits all her logo-three's. I'm not sure she can be contained if that happens but I think the chances of that happening are small.
I also don't think Iowa has the defense to reach a match up with South Carolina anyways though.

Reaction Score
You guys won't have any trouble shutting down Czinano, she struggles against legit front courts and defenses. Defense is not the strong suit of the Big 10.
Iowa presents a problem for South Carolina only in how different their style of play is from any team South Carolina has faced this year. I'm confident y'all could adjust though - Clark could be a problem if she goes God mode hits all her logo-three's. I'm not sure she can be contained if that happens but I think the chances of that happening are small.
I also don't think Iowa has the defense to reach a match up with South Carolina anyways though.
lol yeah I was thinking the same thing. I bet Iowa would have no answers for defending the likes of Cardoso and Boston. I think both would have monster games against a team like Iowa.

Reaction Score

SC would destroy Duke, I have no doubt about that. Duke might not score over 40 in that game but SC would be able to score in the 60’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baller29

Top Bottom