2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have never understood the offense argument from some this season. It makes me think that many aren't watching the game. We're not a 3 point shooting team and many teams clog up the paint with janky defenses but we still manage to find ways to score no matter the circumstances.

I have said this since December, but I think this is our best team since Dawn's arrival. The defense is tough and the offense is pretty good and depth is strong
as well. We're not your typical blowout dominant team like many other great teams but more of a poised team that is willing to get in the trenches and battle if that's where the game takes them.
Our average margin of victory is like 30 points?

We've played 2, maybe 3, games that were in really in doubt in 4th Q all year?

This is as dominant team as you're likely to find.

The criticisms on the offense were never particularly valid. Folks just are used to seeing threes attempted, but SC can shoot those if it needs them.

Reaction Score
i think Raven is the leader and will be the most improved player on the team.

Cardoso should be a first team AA.

Hall/Watkins/Feagin have good experience and now have the opportunity to play.

We are solid at the 4, but could use a bigger post to match up with jumbo teams.

An experienced scoring guard makes sense. Maybe Tessa/Fulwiley can handle it but that's asking a lot.

It's unlikely next year's team rebounds or defends as well but that's pretty relative.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn is a big mystery imo. Paige will becoming back from an ACL tear - who knows how good she'll be. Azzi and Caroline have had serious injuries all season - who knows if you can count on them. And then you are losing Lou and Dorka, your best perimeter scorer and your Center. Who plays center for UConn next year? Another big mystery. I'm just more confident in those 4 other teams at the moment - too many question marks around UConn.
I understand that others do not share my perspective on next year's UConn team. A lot of other UConn fans share my optimism. IMO, THEY should be the #1 ranked team in Charlie Creme's way too early top 25 rankings that he publishes every April, just as SC was in last year's rankings.

IF Paige and Isuneh "Ice" Brady come back healthy, and ALL the core players can remain healthy all season, I'm emulating former NY Giaint head coach "Jim Fassel", I'm raising the steaks right now. I'm shoving ALL my chips to the center of the table. Anybody that wants in, get in. Anybody that wants out, get out. I'm betting that UConn wins it all next year. I'm not under any illusion that THIS is their year, it's not.
Next year's team could be the best and deepest team Geno has had in his 38 years at UConn.

He was betting the Giants would make the playoffs. I'm saying UConn gets #12. I know this is a gamecock thread. Sorry, not trying to hijack it. Just responding to hoopsnloops32's comment.

Again, SC will win the NC this year. No team in the field will come close to beating them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watched one of the courtside interviews with the "former freshmen." it was sweet. Brea at one point said other teams are just in their way, which sounds about right. It also got me thinking if they all move on, what will Dawn have in store for next year. She's been on a recruiting tear the past couple of years. Could they be even better than this year?

I'm predicting a starting 5 of Cardoso, Feagin, Watkins, Hall, Johnson. That squad can run with anyone, block shots and muscle the boards with anyone. And on the bench, Dawn has Kitts and Jah, Fulwiley and Tessa.

It's a lot of turnover, but it looks like Dawn has prepared for it really well. Next year the team will belong to Cardoso, Hall and Feagin, the veterans. After that, it looks like it will be Raven Johnson and Ashlyn Watkins who lead the team.

I ain't trying to tamper, but she needs to leave Columbia and play her final season at Duke. She can wear a much better color uniform, eat better bbq, and be closer to her home in Canada.

I don't need any Cornish Hen fans commenting on my post, cause some of yall don't play nice.
Well your kind of an easy mark. This board has a Pavlov reaction when you post because its juicy red meat to tear into. lol

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Our average margin of victory is like 30 points?

We've played 2, maybe 3, games that were in really in doubt in 4th Q all year?

This is as dominant team as you're likely to find.

The criticisms on the offense were never particularly valid. Folks just are used to seeing threes attempted, but SC can shoot those if it needs them.

SC is dominant but they're not a team that races out to a 20 point lead and stays there the whole game like the best UCONN teams did. It's more of a slow burn that wears teams out as the game goes on with their size and depth.

Looking at results, they've played 5 ranked teams this year:
Stanford-OT win
UCLA-close hard fought game, 2 point game with under 4 to go
UCONN-4 point win
Maryland-blow out win, Maryland was without Diamond Miller though
LSU-blow out win

3 of the 5 were close games, plus needed OT vs Ole Miss and had a tough time putting away Mississippi State (7 point win). SC is a great team and I think they're the clear favorite entering the tournament but I don't think they look untouchable or unbeatable. If another team gets hot and Cooke has an off night, it could be a tight game vs. most Sweet 16 squads.

Reaction Score
I watched one of the courtside interviews with the "former freshmen." it was sweet. Brea at one point said other teams are just in their way, which sounds about right. It also got me thinking if they all move on, what will Dawn have in store for next year. She's been on a recruiting tear the past couple of years. Could they be even better than this year?

I'm predicting a starting 5 of Cardoso, Feagin, Watkins, Hall, Johnson. That squad can run with anyone, block shots and muscle the boards with anyone. And on the bench, Dawn has Kitts and Jah, Fulwiley and Tessa.

It's a lot of turnover, but it looks like Dawn has prepared for it really well. Next year the team will belong to Cardoso, Hall and Feagin, the veterans. After that, it looks like it will be Raven Johnson and Ashlyn Watkins who lead the team.

Cooke could benefit from learning to play point guard, I don't know that she has the size to compete at the next level as a shooting guard. I agree though, I don't think she'd have a better year next year without Boston down low to be the focus on the opposing defense and open up a lot offensively for her.
The average Guard (Point & Shooting) WNBA player is 5 feet 8 inches tall. Cooke is 5ft9
Sue Bird is 5ft9.
Kelsey Plum 5ft8
Skylar Diggings 5ft9
Lexie Brown 5ft9

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
That’s what I was thinking. How do you forget about them?

As much of a SC homer as I am, I don’t think they will be in the Top 5 unless we pick up a superstar in the Portal. If all the “Freshies” leave + Saxton and Fletcher we will have lost 7 players off of this year’s squad. All 5 starters plus Amihere. We will improve but we are basically starting over.
Exactly.

I have UConn at #1 next season, barring transfers out. They are STACKED next year. They’ll have the kind of depth we’re enjoying this year.

Reaction Score
. Why would people sleep on LSU. Is it that nobody jut likes Kim?lol

LSU upside is higher than UCLA, Uconn, SCar.. #1 class coming in + Reese Sr. Year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I understand that others do not share my perspective on next year's UConn team. A lot of other UConn fans share my optimism. IMO, THEY should be the #1 ranked team in Charlie Creme's way too early top 25 rankings that he publishes every April, just as SC was in last year's rankings.

IF Paige and Isuneh "Ice" Brady come back healthy, and ALL the core players can remain healthy all season, I'm emulating former NY Giaint head coach "Jim Fassel", I'm raising the steaks right now. I'm shoving ALL my chips to the center of the table. Anybody that wants in, get in. Anybody that wants out, get out. I'm betting that UConn wins it all next year. I'm not under any illusion that THIS is their year, it's not.
Next year's team could be the best and deepest team Geno has had in his 38 years at UConn.

He was betting the Giants would make the playoffs. I'm saying UConn gets #12.

I think UCONN has a higher ceiling than anyone else in the nation next year but their roster is so injury prone with Bueckers/Fudd/Ducharme constantly sitting out. If they're all healthy UCONN is in a good spot. Those 3 plus Edwards/Muhl/Griffin is a really solid lineup, plus other top 5 recruits in Patterson/Brady as players off the bench.

It's the wild wild west when looking at other teams though. The portal is going to be insane once again with all the covid 5th year seniors, plus a team like SC could theoretically return its loaded senior class if they want to make a run at a 3peat.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If any of the freshies come back I hope it’s Beal. I wouldn’t say no to anybody obviously, but I really want Beal back. She fits nicely on next year’s team.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Christ. Why would people sleep on LSU. Is it that nobody jut likes Kim?lol
LSU will be VERY dangerous next year with Reese/Flaujae/Williams. Hopefully she schedules tougher so we can watch them play in some entertaining games.

Reaction Score
Huskie fans? How much longer Geno want to do this ? I would CD is the heir apparent.. but he has to be close IMO.

Reaction Score
The average Guard (Point & Shooting) WNBA player is 5 feet 8 inches tall. Cooke is 5ft9
Sue Bird is 5ft9.
Kelsey Plum 5ft8
Skylar Diggings 5ft9
Lexie Brown 5ft9
All four of those players play point guard for their respective teams, two of those 4 players are the greatest college point guards of all time (Sue and Skylar). Do you really think Cooke is comparable talent at the point guard position to any of those players?
You are just proving my point that to make the WNBA at Cooke's height you have to be elite at skills Cooke doesn't possess. The skills she is elite at, imo, won't translate to the higher levels.

Reaction Score
Husky fans? How much longer Geno want to do this ? I would CD is the heir apparent.. but he has to be close IMO.
He seems to be built more like a Jim Boeheim, Coach K, Jim Calhoun style coach, coaching through their mid-70s but we'll see. The plan I would assume is for Shea Ralph or similar to take over but I don't think anyone has distinguished themselves enough away from the program yet for there to be a true heir apparent.

Reaction Score
Husky fans? How much longer Geno want to do this ? I would CD is the heir apparent.. but he has to be close IMO.
CD is about the same age as Geno. Thus she would only be the answer for a short, if any, length of time.

UConn should look warily at the "coaching tree" scenario. If I were them, I would look to the coaching ranks of the WNBA. They can afford to compete/exceed WNBA salaries.

Reaction Score
Just think. All of these Moms could have being wearing South Carolina gear this past weekend. Rickea Jackson's Mom in the back. Jordan's Hortston mom Middle Left/Orange top. Zia's Mom out front. Aliyah's mom on the right

Attachments

• Moms.png
    Moms.png
    683 KB · Views: 83
Reaction Score
Then why do people think she is leaving? I would assume she would stay like Aubrey at UConn?
She could end up being Mad KiKi Part II if she disciplines her mental game..

Kiki was talented but kind of all over the place her first three years - like Amihere.

In her senior year she became a mother hen to the freshies and firey leader while raising her consistency 3 notches.

Reaction Score
Christ. Why would people sleep on LSU. Is it that nobody jut likes Kim?lol

LSU upside is higher than UCLA, Uconn, SCar.. #1 class coming in + Reese Sr. Year.
They lose Morris though who was the one who ran that team. There will be a lot of questions. We still aren’t sure how “dominant” they are this year. They have a lot of talent coming in but it will be young. TBH, SC will have as much talent as they will. We still have Cardoso and Raven Johnson who will be the center of this team. Those kids that have been waiting their turn have been in the program 2-3 years and have gotten some good PT. Add the #2 ranked recruiting class and they aren’t going to be bare minimum. I expect there to be growing pains but this team will be fine. Don’t throw that Championship trophy in the LSU trophy case just yet…

Reaction Score
Not close. She has TWO more years of eligibility. Medical redshirt as a frosh plus Covid year.
I remember she enrolled early because she tore her ACL in her senior season. Didn't realize they had her listed as a redshirt for medical reasons.
Then why do people think she is leaving? I would assume she would stay like Aubrey at UConn?
She could be however she also graduated last year because she's strong academically. She has a lot of flexibility and options. For all we know she could use her last years for grad school. Then again, she's probably done with that too already. ;)

Reaction Score
Not close. She has TWO more years of eligibility. Medical redshirt as a frosh plus Covid year.
She only has the Covid year. She came in mid year BEFORE the rest of the Freshies, which was her redshirt year. She has already graduated and is an entire year into a Master’s program.

She is also from Canada and has played International ball for a whil. If the WNBA doesn’t draft her she will make a ton overseas and that’s something she’d be ok with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom