2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Great win! Good luck to the Lady Vols in the tournament. Definitely won't be an easy out for most if Horston and Jackson continue playing at their current level.

Reaction Score
Great win! Good luck to the Lady Vols in the tournament. Definitely won't be an easy out for most if Horston and Jackson continue playing at their current level.
I think Tennesse can make a serious run in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I love watching Dawn switch the pieces in and out until she finds the right combos. Kamilla has been killing it lately. How about Aliyah guarding Rickea and Raven assigned to Horston. Slowed them way down…

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I will say for all the flack SC gets about their lack of offense, they're currently 7th in the nation in scoring and 11th in FG% while playing the #3 SOS. Against the stronger teams they've kept up their scoring as well:
81 points vs Maryland
81 points vs UCONN
88 points vs LSU
76 points vs Stanford
73 points vs UCLA

Also interesting SC rankings of stat differentials:
#1 in point differential (30.3)
#1 in FG% differential (15.6%)
#1 in rebound differential (20.6) (biggest differential of any team since at least 2009-10, which is as far as stats go back on ESPN)
#2 in assist differential (8.7)
#1 in block differential (5.0)
#3 in foul differential (-4.7)

Reaction Score
SC is on a mission that I suspect they will accomplish. I don't think they are unbeatable but I've not seen many chinks in the armor this season beyond being cold from the outside sometimes. If Cooke is on, they will be almost impossible to defeat. Their depth, experience, leadership and overall skill put them over the top.

Reaction Score
SC is on a mission that I suspect they will accomplish. I don't think they are unbeatable but I've not seen many chinks in the armor this season beyond being cold from the outside sometimes. If Cooke is on, they will be almost impossible to defeat. Their depth, experience, leadership and overall skill put them over the top.
Did you watch any of the post-tournament player interviews? They are LOCKED IN right now. There wasn't a lot of celebration because they're already mentally preparing for the NCAA tournament. You could just see it in their eyes and mannerisms. Winning the SEC tournament was great, but there's still business to accomplish.

Reaction Score
I watched one of the courtside interviews with the "former freshmen." it was sweet. Brea at one point said other teams are just in their way, which sounds about right. It also got me thinking if they all move on, what will Dawn have in store for next year. She's been on a recruiting tear the past couple of years. Could they be even better than this year?

I'm predicting a starting 5 of Cardoso, Feagin, Watkins, Hall, Johnson. That squad can run with anyone, block shots and muscle the boards with anyone. And on the bench, Dawn has Kitts and Jah, Fulwiley and Tessa.

It's a lot of turnover, but it looks like Dawn has prepared for it really well. Next year the team will belong to Cardoso, Hall and Feagin, the veterans. After that, it looks like it will be Raven Johnson and Ashlyn Watkins who lead the team.

Reaction Score
I will say for all the flack SC gets about their lack of offense, they're currently 7th in the nation in scoring and 11th in FG% while playing the #3 SOS. Against the stronger teams they've kept up their scoring as well:
81 points vs Maryland
81 points vs UCONN
88 points vs LSU
76 points vs Stanford
73 points vs UCLA

#1 in rebound differential (20.6) (biggest differential of any team since at least 2009-10, which is as far as stats go back on ESPN)
I have never understood the offense argument from some this season. It makes me think that many aren't watching the game. We're not a 3 point shooting team and many teams clog up the paint with janky defenses but we still manage to find ways to score no matter the circumstances.

I have said this since December, but I think this is our best team since Dawn's arrival. The defense is tough and the offense is pretty good and depth is strong
as well. We're not your typical blowout dominant team like many other great teams but more of a poised team that is willing to get in the trenches and battle if that's where the game takes them.

Reaction Score
I watched one of the courtside interviews with the "former freshmen." it was sweet. Brea at one point said other teams are just in their way, which sounds about right. It also got me thinking if they all move on, what will Dawn have in store for next year. She's been on a recruiting tear the past couple of years. Could they be even better than this year?

I'm predicting a starting 5 of Cardoso, Feagin, Watkins, Hall, Johnson. That squad can run with anyone, block shots and muscle the boards with anyone. And on the bench, Dawn has Kitts and Jah, Fulwiley and Tessa.

It's a lot of turnover, but it looks like Dawn has prepared for it really well. Next year the team will belong to Cardoso, Hall and Feagin, the veterans. After that, it looks like it will be Raven Johnson and Ashlyn Watkins who lead the team.
I expect UConn to be preseason #1, but I think we will have a team capable of beating anyone.

Reaction Score
I expect UConn to be preseason #1, but I think we will have a team capable of beating anyone.
Barring injuries, I think it'll be neck and neck all season long. Sounds like a great year in store for everyone!

Reaction Score

good take. I suspect Dawn will add a couple of quality transfer ‘fits‘ from the portal as well to augment what should be talented but somewhat ‘crunch time’ inexperienced team. I lean toward next year’s squad’s W/L record & player growth resembling the sophomore season of AB, Cooke, Beal, etc. - they’ll probably have some up & down type games against the stronger competition that will be on the schedule but could/should be a force by tourney time.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I love watching Dawn switch the pieces in and out until she finds the right combos. Kamilla has been killing it lately. How about Aliyah guarding Rickea and Raven assigned to Horston. Slowed them way down…
One of my favorite adjustments from the entire tournament was Dawn putting LA on Angel Baker from Ole Miss.

Baker lit us up in the regular season matchup and Dawn put size and quickness on her in the rematch. Elite coaching adjustment.

Reaction Score
good take. I suspect Dawn will add a couple of quality transfer ‘fits‘ from the portal as well to augment what should be talented but somewhat ‘crunch time’ inexperienced team. I lean toward next year’s squad’s W/L record & player growth resembling the sophomore season of AB, Cooke, Beal, etc. - they’ll probably have some up & down type games against the stronger competition that will be on the schedule but could/should be a force by tourney time.
I like the way Cardoso has developed. And Watkins and a Raven Johnson have some fire in them. It looks like some really good chemistry could develop there.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
81 points vs Maryland
81 points vs UCONN
88 points vs LSU
76 points vs Stanford
73 points vs UCLA

SC gets flack because people only equate three point shooting with being a prolific offense. But if you look at the way SC passes the ball and scores where they are proficient you’d see that this is a smart team on that side of the ball.

We don’t beat ourselves offensively by trying to be something we are not.

Reaction Score
I would imagine some of the seniors will return next year for South Carolina. I don't see anyone outside of Boston being drafted high enough to be worth leaving for, maybe Cooke.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
This team can beat you in multiple ways, but a key indicator of what kind of game you’re getting is if Cooke and Beal are lighting you up early. It’s game over by halftime usually if that’s the case.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I have never understood the offense argument from some this season. It makes me think that many aren't watching the game. We're not a 3 point shooting team and many teams clog up the paint with janky defenses but we still manage to find ways to score no matter the circumstances.

I have said this since December, but I think this is our best team since Dawn's arrival. The defense is tough and the offense is pretty good and depth is strong
as well. We're not your typical blowout dominant team like many other great teams but more of a poised team that is willing to get in the trenches and battle if that's where the game takes them.
Im starting to agree actually. And I hope they can finish undefeated. I didn’t see it early on, but now I do. There’s a lot that doesn’t show up on the stat sheet about having poise and leadership. This team never looks rattled, even when they’re down or close. I’m so impressed by our upperclassmen.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I would imagine some of the seniors will return next year for South Carolina. I don't see anyone outside of Boston being drafted high enough to be worth leaving for, maybe Cooke.
Beale/Amihere especially would benefit from returning. I think Beale would get more looks offensively and Amihere also takes on a larger role and gets more time. Both have the physicality to be a solid pro but needs further skill development.

Cooke could stay too to try and improve draft stock but I think she bolts. She's having her best season and she'll go higher this draft than next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom