2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Beale/Amihere especially would benefit from returning. I think Beale would get more looks offensively and Amihere also takes on a larger role and gets more time. Both have the physicality to be a solid pro but needs further skill development.

Cooke could stay too to try and improve draft stock but I think she bolts. She's having her best season and she'll go higher this draft than next.
I keep wondering about this but not sure if she would return. I've seen comments in this thread stating she's a better fit for the pro game than NCAA when I've asked the question. It's an interesting situation.

Reaction Score
Beale/Amihere especially would benefit from returning. I think Beale would get more looks offensively and Amihere also takes on a larger role and gets more time. Both have the physicality to be a solid pro but needs further skill development.

Cooke could stay too to try and improve draft stock but I think she bolts. She's having her best season and she'll go higher this draft than next.
Some pundits have Beale as going in the second round. If so, she should go. If not, she should stay.

Amihere? Word is she's ready for the Canadian National team full time. Of course, that "word" could all be bs.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I keep wondering about this but not sure if she would return. I've seen comments in this thread stating she's a better fit for the pro game than NCAA when I've asked the question. It's an interesting situation.

She's a freak athlete and has improved every year at SC but is still pretty raw IMO. If a pro team is willing to give her a year or 2 to develop I think she can stick, but I think she'd develop faster under Dawn who isn't afraid to put her in different spots on the court, and there will be more playing time available next year with Saxton and (likely) Boston gone, plus Cardoso could leave too. The downside is Amihere staying probably releates Feagin/Watkins to the bench for another year which might spell transfer portal but if I'm Amihere I think the smart choice is to do a 5th year in Columbia.

Reaction Score
Some pundits have Beale as going in the second round. If so, she should go. If not, she should stay.

Amihere? Word is she's ready for the Canadian National team full time. Of course, that "word" could all be bs.
This is a good point with Paris 2024 approaching but it will depend on what Canada Basketball has outlined for training camps and tune up events. She got a lot of minutes during the World Championships and did well.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

2nd round picks rarely stick though. She reminds me a lot of Didi Richards who is in the league as a second rounder, but if I'm Beal the option to return to Columbia and take on a larger role is probably stronger than maybe being an end of bench pro for 3 months out of the year. College basketball in a lot of ways has more to offer than the WNBA now that NIL is in play, good programs have huge fan turnouts that don't exist in the pros.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Cooke could benefit from learning to play point guard, I don't know that she has the size to compete at the next level as a shooting guard. I agree though, I don't think she'd have a better year next year without Boston down low to be the focus on the opposing defense and open up a lot offensively for her.

Reaction Score
I watched one of the courtside interviews with the "former freshmen." it was sweet. Brea at one point said other teams are just in their way, which sounds about right. It also got me thinking if they all move on, what will Dawn have in store for next year. She's been on a recruiting tear the past couple of years. Could they be even better than this year?

I'm predicting a starting 5 of Cardoso, Feagin, Watkins, Hall, Johnson. That squad can run with anyone, block shots and muscle the boards with anyone. And on the bench, Dawn has Cooper, Kitts and Jah, Fulwiley and Tessa.

It's a lot of turnover, but it looks like Dawn has prepared for it really well. Next year the team will belong to Cardoso, Hall and Feagin, the veterans. After that, it looks like it will be Raven Johnson and Ashlyn Watkins who lead the team.

Boston and Beal are WNBA 1st RD projections, and Cooke is on the doorstep there. All 3 are gone IMO. Amihere could make some big noise moving up in the draft if she continues to play strongly during the postseason, but it would be a great opportunity if she chose to come back. She really hasn't had great opportunity to show what she could do with starter's minutes yet her entire college career, but has shown great flashes.

Still, that's an awful lot of McD AA talent returning even with the exodus. Not the greatest experience, but a team that could show tremendous improvement as the season progressed as long as the youngsters gel together and find comfortable roles. There won't be this much lack of leadership since the 2018-2019 "Post A'ja" season, but there WILL be definite elite talent and depth in the post which we didn't have then, leadership at the Point which we did have with Ty although she stepped back that 1st half of the season for Te'a Cooper much to the team's demise before settling things down in the 2nd half.

And there doesn't seem to be the chemistry issues within the team that existed that one season, although no one really knows yet with the kids - if they struggle or FEEL they are struggling to establish roles on the team in a season where the opportunity to do won't ever get any better than that, some emotions could rise to the surface. But the good thing here is, if this season continues as mapped out right now, those returning youngsters will be wearing some nice jewerly on their fingers, and that alone breeds the good kinds of confidence and anticipation team-wise for the future. It will be exciting to watch play out......

Reaction Score
2nd round picks rarely stick though. She reminds me a lot of Didi Richards who is in the league as a second rounder, but if I'm Beale the option to return to Columbia and take on a larger role is probably stronger than maybe being an end of bench pro for 3 months out of the year. College basketball in a lot of ways has more to offer than the WNBA now that NIL is in play, good programs have huge fan turnouts that don't exist in the pros.

It is Cook with the ending "e". It is Beal with the ending " ".................

Reaction Score

Beal has been projected as a 1st Round pick since middle of February:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I will say for all the flack SC gets about their lack of offense, they're currently 7th in the nation in scoring and 11th in FG% while playing the #3 SOS. Against the stronger teams they've kept up their scoring as well:
81 points vs Maryland
81 points vs UCONN
88 points vs LSU
76 points vs Stanford
73 points vs UCLA

Also interesting SC rankings of stat differentials:
#1 in point differential (30.3)
#1 in FG% differential (15.6%)
#1 in rebound differential (20.6) (biggest differential of any team since at least 2009-10, which is as far as stats go back on ESPN)
#2 in assist differential (8.7)
#1 in block differential (5.0)
#3 in foul differential (-4.7)
For the very last time this season, I’m once more stating for the record, South Carolina will repeat as national champions. I’ve been singing that song since June. It’s not rocket science. If you have any doubts, you haven’t been paying attention to their play this year. They’re undefeated!! Hello! If they were going to lose a game, they would have done it by now.

Dawn Staley was correct when she said she’ll probably never have a team as good as this one. So she’s languishing in her glory now, and rightfully so. I’m very happy for Dawn, and happy that she’s enjoying the success that she has to this point. She has put SC WBB on the map like none of her predecessors before her.

Every time I see Aliyah Boston, one thought comes to mind….. hurry up and graduate and go to the WNBA….please! :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A core group of Johnson, Cardoso and Beal would be an interesting group to build a team around next season. I would put Watkins at the 4 and have Feagin be the first off the bench to relieve Watkins or Cardoso. We have an interesting group of players at SG too. There's not a lot of experience but there will be a ton of talent. I predict a heated battle between Talaysia Cooper, Bree Hall, Tes Johnson and Milaysia Fulwiley for that starting spot and/or playing time at the 2. Dawn will probably want Milaysia to backup Raven but I could see Milaysia getting some time at the SG because she is so creative with the ball in her hands.

Reaction Score
For the very last time this season, I’m once more stating for the record, South Carolina will repeat as national champions. I’ve been singing that song since June. It’s not rocket science. If you have any doubts, you haven’t been paying attention to their play this year. They’re undefeated!! Hello! If they were going to lose a game, they would have done it by now.

Dawn Staley was correct when she said she’ll probably never have a team as good as this one. So she’s languishing in her glory now, and rightfully so. I’m very happy for Dawn, and happy that she’s enjoying the success that she has to this point. She has put SC WBB on the map like none of her predecessors before her.

Every time I see Aliyah Boston, one thought comes to mind….. hurry up and graduate and go to the WNBA….please! :confused:
Did you mean relishing instead of languishing? Languishing gives me a different impression which contradicts the point you're trying to make.

Reaction Score
UCLA, Stanford, Iowa and South Carolina I think will all be the top of nation next year. Jones and Jump (if she doesn't return) are huge losses for Stanford but I think some of their freshman this year will make big leaps along with Cameron Brink. I would imagine a Brink/Betts starting line-up next year will give teams the same problems as Cardosa/Boston this year. I'd have Stanford at my #1 going into next year with South Carolina a close 2 and UCLA a strong #3 and Iowa 4 unless they can find a big to replace their center. We'll see what happens with the transfer portal though - I think this year proved its useful for a player or two but not so much to build a a whole team around, which I don't think any of these top teams will have to do.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I ain't trying to tamper, but she needs to leave Columbia and play her final season at Duke. She can wear a much better color uniform, eat better bbq, and be closer to her home in Canada.

I don't need any Cornish Hen fans commenting on my post, cause some of yall don't play nice.

Reaction Score
I think all 4 - Boston, Cooke, Beal and Amihere are gone. I don’t see where Beal or Cooke would benefit from coming back. Amihere might, because her running mates on the team are Raven and Kamilla but she also is ok playing Internationally. We will find out soon. The players left on this team have gotten some valuable experience this year because they have gotten to go in and play valuable minutes during a lot of games. They are very talented and have some talent coming in. Remember that they have practiced with and against the most talented group in the country. The biggest void will be from leadership. Raven and Bree Hall will have to take that over. I’m not sure who else would do it unless one of the Freshies comes back.

Reaction Score
UCLA, Stanford, Iowa and South Carolina I think will all be the top of nation next year. Jones and Jump (if she doesn't return) are huge losses for Stanford but I think some of their freshman this year will make big leaps along with Cameron Brink. I would imagine a Brink/Betts starting line-up next year will give teams the same problems as Cardosa/Boston this year. I'd have Stanford at my #1 going into next year with South Carolina a close 2 and UCLA a strong #3 and Iowa 4 unless they can find a big to replace their center. We'll see what happens with the transfer portal though - I think this year proved its useful for a player or two but not so much to build a a whole team around, which I don't think any of these top teams will have to do.
Paige and Azzi and crew?

Reaction Score
I ain't trying to tamper, but she needs to leave Columbia and play her final season at Duke. She can wear a much better color uniform, eat better bbq, and be closer to her home in Canada.

I don't need any Cornish Hen fans commenting on my post, cause some of yall don't play nice.
You guys need a prolific scorer or 3. LA isn’t that. She can defend just about anybody though….

Reaction Score
You don't envision UConn being a Top 4 pre-season team next season? With Paige, Azzi, Edwards, Caroline, Aubrey & Nika coming back? You certainly are entitled to your opinion, and just asking...

Reaction Score
Paige and Azzi and crew?
That’s what I was thinking. How do you forget about them?

As much of a SC homer as I am, I don’t think they will be in the Top 5 unless we pick up a superstar in the Portal. If all the “Freshies” leave + Saxton and Fletcher we will have lost 7 players off of this year’s squad. All 5 starters plus Amihere. We will improve but we are basically starting over.

Reaction Score
Paige and Azzi and crew?
You don't envision UConn being a Top 4 pre-season team next season? With Paige, Azzi, Edwards, Caroline, Aubrey & Nika coming back? You certainly are entitled to your opinion, and just asking...
UConn is a big mystery imo. Paige will becoming back from an ACL tear - who knows how good she'll be. Azzi and Caroline have had serious injuries all season - who knows if you can count on them. And then you are losing Lou and Dorka, your best perimeter scorer and your Center. Who plays center for UConn next year? Another big mystery. I'm just more confident in those 4 other teams at the moment - too many question marks around UConn.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Cooke could benefit from learning to play point guard, I don't know that she has the size to compete at the next level as a shooting guard. I agree though, I don't think she'd have a better year next year without Boston down low to be the focus on the opposing defense and open up a lot offensively for her.

She just doesn't have the skill set to be a good PG IMO. She isn't a good passer and has always been one to hunt shots rather than look to create for others. Plus Raven Johnson will have the position on lock, she's done an excellent job this past year.

Reaction Score
Be
2nd round picks rarely stick though. She reminds me a lot of Didi Richards who is in the league as a second rounder, but if I'm Beal the option to return to Columbia and take on a larger role is probably stronger than maybe being an end of bench pro for 3 months out of the year. College basketball in a lot of ways has more to offer than the WNBA now that NIL is in play, good programs have huge fan turnouts that don't exist in the pros.
Beale’s boyfriend is a corner with the Panthers and I’ve heard she makes a decent bit more from marketing than you might expect. Wouldn’t be completely nuts for her to come back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom