2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From dominating as a freshman, to a missed putback against Stanford, to the redemption run and championship, to a to-the-wire ending in the Final Four, there has never been a college player’s career I enjoyed following more than Aliyah Boston’s.

I still remember watching that first game against Alabama State four years ago. The time has somehow both flown and feels like forever.

It’ll be a new era for South Carolina and hopefully one day we’ll be fortunate enough to have a class as special as this one. ❤️

Reaction Score
I am a MSST fan and I was rooting for Iowa to upset SC in the semifinal game. However, I watched the post game presser and I must say SC coach and team are first class. No excuses just that basketball. Dawn really impressed me as a Players coach, she recognized the player efforts and was more concerned with the players future than her own. She said she would advice Boston to move on to the WNBA because her game will flourish in that environment. Great job, Coach Staley!

Reaction Score

Wow I’m suprised. Felt like she had been alluding to staying the whole time. Wonder what the reason for the color of her braids was? She said she would make an announcement after the tournament. Congrats to Boston on an amazing career. Think she’ll do great thinks in the W.

Reaction Score
Tell me if I have this right. Dawn has 7 returning and 3 incoming recruits. That leaves room for 4-5 transfers.

7: Watkins Cardoso Hall Johnson Feagins Cooper Kitts
3: Fulwiley Tessa Jah

This is an excellent core team as is, though perhaps vulnerable to injury. I'd expect a starting lineup like:
Cardoso Watkins Raven Hall and either Cooper or Feagins depending on whether Dawn wants to go big or small. That looks like a top-5 unit to me. What does everyone else think? Of the rest, I suspect Tessa will come off the bench before the other guards. And who knows what the portal might bring?

Reaction Score
Tell me if I have this right. Dawn has 7 returning and 3 incoming recruits. That leaves room for 4-5 transfers.

This is an excellent core team as is, though perhaps vulnerable to injury. I'd expect a starting lineup like:
Cardoso Watkins Raven Hall and either Cooper or Feagins depending on whether Dawn wants to go big or small. That looks like a top-5 unit to me. What does everyone else think? Of the rest, I suspect Tessa will come off the bench before the other guards. And who knows what the portal might bring?
Your numbers are right.

If Feagin can raise her game defensively to satisfy Dawn, I would prefer to see Feagin start at the 4 allowing Ashlyn to be a swing substitution for both Kamilla and Sania. I like the rest of your starting 5, though Hall and Coop can’t be complacent cause Fulwiley will be workin’.

Reaction Score

Cooper/Feagins/Watkins didn’t impress me much when they played. Very athletic but not a ton of basketball skill there. I’ve never been high in Johnson but Hall could be a special player if she works on her handle and body control offensively.

Overall I think this will be an athletically superior team to the one South Carolina put out this year but will lack the overall skill and discipline on both sides of the ball to seriously compete for a national championship as is. They might have a higher ceiling offensively though but a much lower one defensively without Beal and Boston.

Not sure anyone that is currently in the transfer portal could come in and make a difference for them. Will be interesting to watch.

Reaction Score
Cooper/Feagins/Watkins didn’t impress me much when they played. Very athletic but not a ton of basketball skill there. I’ve never been high in Johnson but Hall could be a special player if she works on her handle and body control offensively.

Overall I think this will be an athletically superior team to the one South Carolina put out this year but will lack the overall skill and discipline on both sides of the ball to seriously compete for a national championship as is. They might have a higher ceiling offensively though but a much lower one defensively without Beal and Boston.

Not sure anyone that is currently in the transfer portal could come in and make a difference for them. Will be interesting to watch.
I think they need to get a veteran guard, preferably one with a 3-point shot. I also really like Hall, I think she’s going to shine next year.

Reaction Score

I could see that maybe with Cooper, but it's a very strange statement to make about Feagin and Watkins. At least to me.

I think their easy strokes and ability to put the ball on the floor sort of jump out.

Love Saxton and she earned the right, but I'd have rather spent her minutes developing those two and think they will both be an offensive upgrade.

Reaction Score
Sort of seems like Amihere may be headed on as well. I have mixed feelings on that.

I do think she might have a chance to be used the best way next year, but she's been in school a long time.

I think she might be a better pro than collegian at whatever level she lands.

Reaction Score
I could see that maybe with Cooper, but it's a very strange statement to make about Feagin and Watkins. At least to me.

I think their easy strokes and ability to put the ball on the floor sort of jump out.

Love Saxton and she earned the right, but I'd have rather spent her minutes developing those two and think they will both be an offensive upgrade.
They both seem pretty raw to me skill wise for their positions. I can’t see either creating their own shots too easily against decent defense or creating shots for someone else at this point.

Reaction Score
They both seem pretty raw to me skill wise for their positions. I can’t see either creating their own shots too easily against decent defense or creating shots for someone else at this point.
Fortunately they are center/forwards rather than point guards?

I am not sure that I agree with the underlying point. Even if it's accurate, we weren't getting much offensive creation out of Saxton.

I think you have to defend both out to 18 feet or so and they can fill it up.

Will be important since South Carolina likely sees the same defenses next year assuming Cardosso returns.

Reaction Score
Man, LSU winning the title easily really makes it hurt a little more, but congrats to the Tigers.

SMH about the media talking about disrespect or complaining about the fouls in that game.

Reaction Score
There's a CDS quote out there where she basically states that Feagin is probably the most offensively talented player on the team and she has the highest ceiling of all forward on our team (including Boston). It's defense where Feagin self-admittedly struggles. I think Watkins shows potential too. She is a freshman so I can't wait to see her develop. I could see her game following a similar projection as A. Edwards. She has flashes of brilliance mixed with cringe moments. But that's part of the freshman experience.

Reaction Score
There's a CDS quote out there where she basically states that Feagin is probably the most offensively talented player on the team and she has the highest ceiling of all forward on our team (including Boston). It's defense where Feagin self-admittedly struggles. I think Watkins shows potential too. She is a freshman so I can't wait to see her develop. I could see her game following a similar projection as A. Edwards. She has flashes of brilliance mixed with cringe moments. But that's part of the freshman experience.
She only played 7 minutes a game so I'll obviously defer to her coaches, I've just never been super impressed by anything I've seen from Feagin on the court. Maybe I'm reacting to decision making more so than actual skill. Same with Watkins, though I have been very impressed with Watkin's athleticism. Definitely think they both have immense potential, just not sure they are at point to be offensive leaders without established anchors like Boston and Cooke there. We'll find out I guess.

Any official word on Cooke yet? I would have thought she'd have announced one way or the other by now given the 48 hour deadline.

Reaction Score
GEICO National Finals.

Long Island Lutheran jumped on Montverde Academy early, leading 21-12 through one quarter and 34-20 at halftime behind 10 points from Kayleigh Heckel and 15 points from the Swords sisters, Savannah (9) and Syla (6). South Carolina signee Sahnya Jah led Montverde Eagles second half comeback with 20 points, with 15 of her points coming in the second half for Montverde's 60-54 victory.

Reaction Score
GEICO National Finals.

Long Island Lutheran jumped on Montverde Academy early, leading 21-12 through one quarter and 34-20 at halftime behind 10 points from Kayleigh Heckel and 15 points from the Swords sisters, Savannah (9) and Syla (6). South Carolina signee Sahnya Jah led Montverde Eagles second half comeback with 20 points, with 15 of her points coming in the second half for Montverde's 60-54 victory.
Katie Koval for LI Lutheran had a good game also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog